Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

I did a search for "Cinema Snob God's Not Dead" on YouTube, and this was one of things it pulled up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u_4EssUh4w

I'm hesitant to watch this because the idea of a Christian version of the Nostalgia Critic is too :psypop: for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Angry Joe could have been the Buddy Holly of Internet Reviewers.

Ponder that for a moment.

Dunno, wouldn't AVGN and the Nostalgia Critic have had to have been on the same plane?

Equeen posted:

I'm hesitant to watch this because the idea of a Christian version of the Nostalgia Critic is too :psypop: for me.

I remember scripture so YOU don't have to!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

A good poster posted:

Where'd the joke about calling the Redlettermedia people "hack frauds" in the comments of their videos come from?

Usually in their ads for merch, new commentary tracks, or upcoming projects either Plinkett with refer to Mike, Jay, and Rich as "hack frauds", or they'll just flat out refer to themselves as that. It's just RLM fans beating a dead horse into paste at this point.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

boom boom boom posted:

Space Cop on blu ray is now available for order

That movie is going to suuuuuuuuuuuuuck (according to some rando a dozen pages back)

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

Equeen posted:

Honestly? Better than Doug.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Todd's worst list is up for Patreons. #1 is Marvin Gaye by Charlie Puth and Meghan Trainor.

This is the first year where I've actually been more excited to see the best-of list.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Celery Face posted:

Todd's worst list is up for Patreons. #1 is Marvin Gaye by Charlie Puth and Meghan Trainor.

As God intended. I heard like two lines of that song and thought "worst of the year and probably several years to come."

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Celery Face posted:

Yes.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Wow that Christian Nostalgia Critic guy is....actually not terrible. That's legitimately shocking, he's actually pretty level headed in the video, I was expecting him to be mega conservative.

Jay O posted:

As God intended. I heard like two lines of that song and thought "worst of the year and probably several years to come."

It's such a....weird song. Like aside from the awful lyrics, the cadence and beat are so out of sync with what the song is meant to be.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 13, 2016

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

nine-gear crow posted:

Usually in their ads for merch, new commentary tracks, or upcoming projects either Plinkett with refer to Mike, Jay, and Rich as "hack frauds", or they'll just flat out refer to themselves as that. It's just RLM fans beating a dead horse into paste at this point.

I think they've also made some off-handed comments now and then about how "the people in the comments are gonna call us hack frauds" and stuff like that

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
Yeah, I've already seen Todd's list. The songs I most agree with are 'Only', 'Dear Future Husband' and 'Marvin Gaye'.

If you guys want to listen to a Nicki Minaj song featuring Drake and Li'l Wayne that isn't complete garbage, 'Truffle Butter' says hi.

I honestly think 'Marvin Gaye' might be worse than 'Afternoon Delight'. At least Bill Danoff and company didn't besmirch the names of any deceased soul legends!
Also, it got to #1 in the UK. I can't remember if I've mentioned that here, but I may as well remind people of that fact, because WTF, Britain. 'Common People' didn't get to #1 but this garbage did? Eurgh.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ZakAce posted:

I honestly think 'Marvin Gaye' might be worse than 'Afternoon Delight'. At least Bill Danoff and company didn't besmirch the names of any deceased soul legends!
Also, it got to #1 in the UK. I can't remember if I've mentioned that here, but I may as well remind people of that fact, because WTF, Britain. 'Common People' didn't get to #1 but this garbage did? Eurgh.

There was no such thing as online streaming in 1995. :v:

Anyway, I like Meghan Trainor well enough, but Charlie Puth? He doesn't have soul. I'm pretty sure Michael Bolton has more soul than him. Mick Hucknall probably has more soul than Charlie Puth. How can you pay tribute to a soul singer if your song's all sexless and gutless and just not soulful at all? It's a bit like Pat Boone covering Little Richard.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

ZakAce posted:

Yeah, I've already seen Todd's list. The songs I most agree with are 'Only', 'Dear Future Husband' and 'Marvin Gaye'.

If you guys want to listen to a Nicki Minaj song featuring Drake and Li'l Wayne that isn't complete garbage, 'Truffle Butter' says hi.

'Marvin Gaye' is worse than 'Afternoon Delight' for the sole reason that the statement "'Marvin Gaye' is worse than 'Afternoon Delight'" can now exist without a hint of irony or contrariness.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Part 2 was blocked by WMG before I could watch it. :(

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

ninjahedgehog posted:

Part 2 was blocked by WMG before I could watch it. :(

It's on his vimeo channel. Check his twitter.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Mad Lupine posted:

It's on his vimeo channel. Check his twitter.

:respek:

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
Why does lovely pop acts keep remixing the truly great "Hermetico" by the Balkan Beat Box . Its a good tune, it deserve better then the abuse it suffered by jason derulo and whatever girl band put it through this year.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
"Marvin Gaye" makes me glad I've not listened to mainstream pop music in years, because Todd's video is the first I've ever heard of it.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
Holy Jebus, that Marvin Gaye song was incredibly terrible. Well, we now have a new definition for "the whitest thing ever", I suppose.

Some of the songs I didn't think were *that* bad. The Taylor Swift song didn't make my skin crawl - and for me, skincrawlingness is a higher criteria for a worst list than banality. Girl Crush was dirge like and terrible in every way (I suppose if you were really overthinking it you could assume that she's *trying* to justify her feelings for that lady as some warped heterosexual thing, when in fact it's just gay). I feel like it needed to be higher on the list.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I will never understand Todd's love of Nikki Minaj. Her voice is just plain irritating.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I actually don't think Marvin Gaye is a bad song. It's pretty good and catchy, but what drags me about it is that it could be appropriative of a black musician for...

Infamous Sphere posted:

"the whitest thing ever"

...that.

Mokinokaro posted:

I will never understand Todd's love of Nikki Minaj. Her voice is just plain irritating.

She's an acquired taste.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WickedHate posted:

I actually don't think Marvin Gaye is a bad song. It's pretty good and catchy,

Obviously that's going to be a matter of individual taste, but my problem is that it's ostensibly paying tribute to a soul singer while being completely and utterly soulless. It's lazily written too, which makes it worse than any of Michael Bolton's soul covers, because whatever you think of the quality of the covers, you can't dispute the quality of the songwriting. In any case, I always go back to The Commitments, of all things, because it comes up with my favourite definition of a genre of music ever when it describes soul music: "It grabs you by the balls and lifts you above the shite." That's what you get, I think, when you listen to somebody like O. V. Wright or James Carr or Otis Redding or Tina Turner.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I've listened to Marvin Gaye a couple of times since the Todd video, and I think when it comes down to it it has the same problem as most of Meghan Trainor's other songs (no idea about this Puth guy): it's pretty decent until you listen to it closely. The problem is basically that I could get the same experience listening to any random '50s doo-wop song and get the same experience with better lyrics (better is relative, doo-wop doesn't generally have amazing lyrics, but that's a step up from dumb and awful).

To be fair, I think :thejoke: was effectively that it's this deliberately lame white-bread '50s song about loving, but the writing wasn't anywhere near clever enough to sell it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Jsor posted:

To be fair, I think :thejoke: was effectively that it's this deliberately lame white-bread '50s song about loving, but the writing wasn't anywhere near clever enough to sell it.

50s song parodies won't ever top the this video, aka the best song of any and all years.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I think an example of a song that "sells it" is Paradise By the Dashboard Light which starts off sounding like something straight out of Grease and then goes off the rails from there, but it's still not quite the same thing.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 15, 2016

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Hahaha I totally missed it, but Moviebob's last upload was him defending his weird "which characters should be amiibos" list in the most passive aggressive way. Also he should never turn to his side

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt1-5VHctuI

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

That Marvin Gaye video is super gross to me, mainly because nobody appears to have ANY sex appeal, so it just turns into a bunch of people mashing their flesh together mechanically. That and, as Todd points out, neither performer has any sex appeal. It's very much like watching a wholesome relative try to be sexy.

It's OK, Megan Trainor, you don't HAVE to be sexy! You can be the twee one! You can stand out from the crowd that way! Please stop trying so hard, it's just making everyone uncomfortable.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jsor posted:

I think an example of a song that "sells it" is Paradise By the Dashboard Light which starts off sounding like something straight out of Grease and then goes off the rails from there, but it's still not quite the same thing.

The entire Bat Out of Hell album is partly a Phil Spector homage and partly a Bruce Springsteen / Pete Townshend parody. For instance, the opening monologue of "You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth" (the "On a hot summer night, would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses?" bit) is an homage to the spoken word parts you had in all the teen idol hits from the post-Elvis, pre-Beatles era where Phil Spector had his heyday (i.e. 1960-1964), then it has the "kick kick-kick snare" Hal Blaine drum part made famous in "Be My Baby". The song "Bat Out of Hell" itself is a cross between "Thunder Road" and old teenage snuff ballads like "Tell Laura I Love Her". "Two Out of Three Ain't Bad" is a direct reference to Elvis Presley's version of "I Want You, I Need You, I Love You".

To be quite honest, I genuinely can't imagine it as having worked with any singer other than Meat Loaf. Maybe Bonnie Tyler or Roger Daltrey, but it's a narrow field.

See also: An Innocent Man by Billy Joel.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Wheat Loaf posted:

The entire Bat Out of Hell album is partly a Phil Spector homage and partly a Bruce Springsteen / Pete Townshend parody. For instance, the opening monologue of "You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth" (the "On a hot summer night, would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses?" bit) is an homage to the spoken word parts you had in all the teen idol hits from the post-Elvis, pre-Beatles era where Phil Spector had his heyday (i.e. 1960-1964), then it has the "kick kick-kick snare" Hal Blaine drum part made famous in "Be My Baby". The song "Bat Out of Hell" itself is a cross between "Thunder Road" and old teenage snuff ballads like "Tell Laura I Love Her". "Two Out of Three Ain't Bad" is a direct reference to Elvis Presley's version of "I Want You, I Need You, I Love You".

To be quite honest, I genuinely can't imagine it as having worked with any singer other than Meat Loaf. Maybe Bonnie Tyler or Roger Daltrey, but it's a narrow field.

See also: An Innocent Man by Billy Joel.

I'd always wondered about the opening to "You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth".

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I don't get how Todd, who's listened to so much country music, missed that Girl Crush is a retread of Jolene, not a lesbian tease song.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Fowl posted:

I'd always wondered about the opening to "You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth".

I think the answer is that Jim Steinman is a pretty weird dude.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So, Skallagrim is a bit of a different Internet Critic, in that he reviews swords and other melee weaponry, as well as discussing HEMA sparring and general historical military knowledge.
Poor guy got swiped by a car while cycling to class.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

DStecks posted:

I don't get how Todd, who's listened to so much country music, missed that Girl Crush is a retread of Jolene, not a lesbian tease song.

sometimes Todd's interpretations of things absolutely baffles me. Like when he thought Dexy's Midnight Runners was a reference to people running around high on meth instead of drug runners.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Alaois posted:

sometimes Todd's interpretations of things absolutely baffles me. Like when he thought Dexy's Midnight Runners was a reference to people running around high on meth instead of drug runners.

Wasn't Midnight RUnners a reference to like Moonshine runners?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

DStecks posted:

Given the title, it's obviously meant to be mistaken for a lesbian tease song. It just uses the term in a completely incorrect way.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

DStecks posted:

WTF, how does it have anything to do with Jolene? I don't see that connection at all, and I thought his interpretation (girl singing about wanting to BE the other girl her man-crush likes, using imagery that suggests she wants to instead gently caress said girl but bait-and-switch-tee-hee-no-homo) was completely accurate.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Testekill posted:

Wasn't Midnight RUnners a reference to like Moonshine runners?

According to the Dexys Midnight Runners biography I read just after Christmas, the name emerged from a group brainstorming session: Kevin Rowland had brought "Dexys" to the table and it was indeed a reference for dexedrine, which was one of the most popular uppers on the northern soul scene at the time; "Midnight Runners" was suggested by their original drummer, John Jay, who left before they'd recorded their first album. I don't think there's an agreed-upon version of exactly what it means. I think it could very well refer to how dancers used cocktails of dexys, black bombers and weight loss pills to keep themselves moving all night.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Archer666 posted:

Hahaha I totally missed it, but Moviebob's last upload was him defending his weird "which characters should be amiibos" list in the most passive aggressive way. Also he should never turn to his side

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt1-5VHctuI
Speaking of which, every week I like to do the Matt Jones crossword, which is syndicated in my town's indie paper, and the latest one has a reference to MovieBob's "Pixels" review.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I'm happy to report that Marvin Gaye has replaced C'est la Vie by Bewitched as "song that will not leave my head" :negative:

Jay O posted:

WTF, how does it have anything to do with Jolene? I don't see that connection at all, and I thought his interpretation (girl singing about wanting to BE the other girl her man-crush likes, using imagery that suggests she wants to instead gently caress said girl but bait-and-switch-tee-hee-no-homo) was completely accurate.

There's some superficial similarities where in the first verse Dolly plays up how amazing and beautiful Jolene is, but that's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Keromaru5 posted:

Speaking of which, every week I like to do the Matt Jones crossword, which is syndicated in my town's indie paper, and the latest one has a reference to MovieBob's "Pixels" review.
An indie paper crossword where one of the questions pertains to a angry YouTube review of an Adam Sandler comedy film about video games which was loosely based on a short film. :pwn:

What was the clue/answer?

• Locked thread