Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

nesbit37 posted:

I'll just keep thinking it down since spidering is giving me the most grief.

FYI the spidering comes from:
Your paint being too thin, or
Spraying too close, or
Pressure too high, or
Needle size too large, or
A mix of the above

So don't thin more with what you're using already, you'll just make the problem worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Biostrip20 is the best thing you can buy for stripping models. Non-toxic, non-irritant, sink flushable. Seriously, don't be a wally, be hip. Biostrip!

Please don't dump paint goo and stripper into your sink. Even if your stripper is "safe" the resulting sludge probably isn't.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Airbrush chat: http://www.webairbrushes.com/ is having a pretty great sale right now. The coupon code is INVRED16 and it seems to be 50% and sometimes much more on the majority of their inventory.

It seems like they are liquidating their inventory because some of the prices are too good. You can get a badger compressor and nice aribrush for $200

Paints including the Minitaire line are 50% off as well

You cant see the discount until you are checking out but its been at least 50% for everything I tried.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Do they ship to Canada?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
So... on the subject of Varnish. I coated a model in ardcoat followed by Lahmian Medium. I think I ruined it :ohdear: Whats an easy way to seal my precious metal models?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

DJ Dizzy posted:

So... on the subject of Varnish. I coated a model in ardcoat followed by Lahmian Medium. I think I ruined it :ohdear: Whats an easy way to seal my precious metal models?

Testors Glosscote followed by Testors Dullcote

It's not what I use because I'm fuckin weird with this poo poo but that's the standard and it's a good standard.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

DJ Dizzy posted:

I always thought that 'Ardcoat was meant to be a spot polish, like you'd brush it onto a specific area after you'd matte-varnished the rest of the model but needed part of it to be glossy. That's how I use it at least; the stuff's so expensive for how little you get in a pot.
And Lahmian Medium is more of a glaze medium for thinning paints, not a varnish. It's basically just un-pigmented...thinning...stuff in a pot. It's not going to protect anything, but unless you've got a bad bunch that's gone white after you've applied it, I don't think you've ruined anything with it.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

The GW recipe for sealing models is ardcoat followed by purity seal/lahmian medium.

Sweet. Thanks.

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

Fauxtool posted:

Airbrush chat: http://www.webairbrushes.com/ is having a pretty great sale right now. The coupon code is INVRED16 and it seems to be 50% and sometimes much more on the majority of their inventory.

It seems like they are liquidating their inventory because some of the prices are too good. You can get a badger compressor and nice aribrush for $200

Where do these badger compressors fall in the goon scale of cheap/bad (no-name) to pricey/good (Sparmax, etc.)? I'm looking to finally enter the magical world of airbrushing this year.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Full Circle posted:

I just recently got into 40k and have begun painting up some models. This is my first time painting much of anything in my adult life, and despite that I've been happy with my first few efforts, but I'm struggling to make tyranid carapace look as good as I'd like. Specifically I'd love to emulate the texture/color gradient of this:

Any tips on the steps to replicate? The closest I've gotten was basing black, painting the back 1/2 with a dark grey, then hitting the back edges with a white, and finally adding some streaking with the finest brush I have (army painter psycho) but the resulting streaks are still comparatively thick and look painted on, for lack of a better phrase. I'm stumped as to how the fine streaks in the above are achieved.

First, you probably don't want to go from black all the way to white. I'd stop at a sort of medium gray. It will make the transition less jarring.

Second, make sure to thin your paints (I use Liquitex Matte Medium, it's cheap and comes in a big dropper flask). This will give your paints a better translucency, which will also help your blends look better. This is because you can effectively use a color to highlight itself - the first coat is translucent enough to let a little of the base color show through, the second coat gives more opacity for the highlight color. Doing this, you can effectively get 2 (or more on large surfaces) transitions out of the same color, which reduces the amount of time you're spending mixing paints. This approach is especially useful on transitions that cover a long spatial distance (like that largest carapace plate on the Zoanthrope you linked).

Finally, for the lines get yourself a teeny brush, something like a 10/0 or 20/0. If you can get a liner brush (the kind with very long bristles), those are nice. They take some practice to control, but the longer bristles hold more paint, which lets you make really nice, consistent lines. If your paint is the properly thinned consistency (i.e. not blobbing on the end of the brush), you'll get very thin lines, especially if you use very gentle pressure.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Is it possible to dullcote over pledge future coats? I've just being sealing up my early paint jobs (which are bad) with it, but I've wondered if that's just it or I can put a matte seal over it.

Well, I guess less is it possible, more is it effective

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Razor Jacksuit posted:

Where do these badger compressors fall in the goon scale of cheap/bad (no-name) to pricey/good (Sparmax, etc.)? I'm looking to finally enter the magical world of airbrushing this year.

If you watch the hour-long video in the OP that has the owner of Badger, it's a talk he does at wargame/gaming conventions, even he says the Badger compressors are mass-purchased and just normal/average compressors. I get the impression they carry them just as a way to have compressors to sell, I don't think they actively try to make them good or great. If I had to choose one of those compressors on that site, I'd suggest only the TC910, as it's the only one with a tank.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Spiderdrake posted:

Is it possible to dullcote over pledge future coats? I've just being sealing up my early paint jobs (which are bad) with it, but I've wondered if that's just it or I can put a matte seal over it.

Well, I guess less is it possible, more is it effective

Yeah, very much so. Pledge leaves everything shiny, you want to matte seal it but the future is really what's protecting the paint job. They work well together and I haven't had to touch anything up that I've covered in this way, though I only started doing it about a year ago.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

jodai posted:

Yeah, very much so. Pledge leaves everything shiny, you want to matte seal it but the future is really what's protecting the paint job. They work well together and I haven't had to touch anything up that I've covered in this way, though I only started doing it about a year ago.

Is it a bad idea to put that Pledge stuff in an air brush? What would you use to clean the airbrush after?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

krushgroove posted:

If you watch the hour-long video in the OP that has the owner of Badger, it's a talk he does at wargame/gaming conventions, even he says the Badger compressors are mass-purchased and just normal/average compressors. I get the impression they carry them just as a way to have compressors to sell, I don't think they actively try to make them good or great. If I had to choose one of those compressors on that site, I'd suggest only the TC910, as it's the only one with a tank.

badger stuff is mostly average but you get warranty support from a US company

TouchToneDialing posted:

Is it a bad idea to put that Pledge stuff in an air brush? What would you use to clean the airbrush after?

It works fine unthinned. I just run some water then glass cleaner after

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

DJ Dizzy posted:

Halfords Gloss Automotive Spray Varnish and Army Painter Matte spray if you're in the UK.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

TouchToneDialing posted:

Pledge is as thin as water, so it's fine unthinned. Clean it with whatever you normally clean with (I use windex), just be a little more thorough.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Z the IVth posted:

Halfords Gloss Automotive Spray Varnish and Army Painter Matte spray if you're in the UK.

Im in denmark, so I can easily get AP sprays. Testors is also available, never heard of Halfords.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

DJ Dizzy posted:

Im in denmark, so I can easily get AP sprays. Testors is also available, never heard of Halfords.

Army Painter Matte is apparently rebranded Dullcote so either should be ok. Halfords is a UK automotive chain store.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Dullcote just hasn't been the same since they took out those sweet sweet carcinogens

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

JoshTheStampede posted:

Dullcote just hasn't been the same since they took out those sweet sweet carcinogens

Isn't that only in the EU though?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

VoodooXT posted:

Isn't that only in the EU though?

Toluene is only banned in the EU but I think Testors just changed the formula rather than have separate EU and USA formulas.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

JackMann posted:

Finally, the best of the bunch, Ghost Butler!

"Tea is served, sir."

"I've brought the fine china."

I just learned that Ghost Butler is actually a Citadel Aerial Servant from 1982.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I bought a pot of Badger paint yesterday because it was called John Deere Green. We'll see how this goes with Salamanders.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Star Man posted:

I bought a pot of Badger paint yesterday because it was called John Deere Green. We'll see how this goes with Salamanders.

Armed with this newfound knowledge, you should convert a Baneblade into a combat tractor.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

DJ Dizzy posted:

Where do they have Testors in Denmark? I've never seen it around here.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

As we're on varnish chat, I'll be needing to varnish some metal models soon, but it's winter in England so its wet and freezing. Gloss coat is fine, I've got it in a spray, its the matt that's the tricky bit.

I have a pot of brush-on Daler-Rowney matt varnish, but my issue with it is that the first and only time I used it on some gloss coated Tau was that the end result was more of a satin than a matt, I think I gave them two coats of matt as well. They had about a day of drying time each.

I think we can get Testors here, but it's a different formula for the stricter EU regulations.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Oh dang, missed the Army Painter post above. Still though, I'm not spraying this indoors, but can I still spray after its been raining?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

ijyt posted:

Oh dang, missed the Army Painter post above. Still though, I'm not spraying this indoors, but can I still spray after its been raining?

Just check the humidity. Anything below 70% relative humidity should be fine. You can probably go higher (Krylon recommends <85%), but 70% is pretty safe. If the temperature's outside the recommended range for your spray, you can usually do ok by taking them outside briefly to spray them, and then immediately take them inside to dry. This minimizes the fumes while still keeping the temperature of both the spray can and the models near room temperature for the whole process.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jan 15, 2016

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
I've only used AP Matt once and it was a disaster, totally frosted my minis.

I use this

http://www.figuresincomfort.net/products/varnishes-and-paints/fic-matt-varnish.html
( rebranded HMG varnish)
And it's great, as good if not better than Testors

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
I've got a bottle of valejo white primer- could a bit of grey paint be added it it still retain it's magical priming properties? I know they make a grey primer, I just don't have any at the mo

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

The Bee posted:

Armed with this newfound knowledge, you should convert a Baneblade into a combat tractor.

I do know how to drive a tractor, and the one I learned how to drive was a John Deere.

Which got me thinking. Is there a list of paints out there that no one should ever use? I know that Testors enamel paints are garbage, but what else out there is absolute poo poo?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Fauxtool posted:

Paints including the Minitaire line are 50% off as well

You cant see the discount until you are checking out but its been at least 50% for everything I tried.

Check Amazon before you hit "Buy." Even with the 50% off, a Badger TC910 was still $15 cheaper with Prime.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Serotonin posted:

I've only used AP Matt once and it was a disaster, totally frosted my minis.

I use this

http://www.figuresincomfort.net/products/varnishes-and-paints/fic-matt-varnish.html
( rebranded HMG varnish)
And it's great, as good if not better than Testors

Ordered some, thanks.

e: ugh gently caress, collection only. Not waiting until April for salute to get varnish. Dumb laws.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 15, 2016

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Gettin' prepped for an ITS tournament tomorrow, painted a whole mess of stuff partway, finished a couple more.

Of the two minis I did completely finish, one is my converted Ghulam with light grenade launcher:

I'm really happy with the way she turned out. I was super-stoked that the teeny-weeny Haqqislam symbol on her beret came out well.

The other mini I finished was my HVT (High Value Target), a mini that gets used in ITS as a potential objective for your opponent. This one is "Fusilier Angus" from the Dire Foes pack, the same one that came with the SpecOps mini I decapitated for the conversion above.

Here again, the Haqqislam insignia on the beret worked.

My favorite part of this one is the smarmy mustache. He just looks like someone you want to shoot.

Hopefully I'll remember to take some photos of all these minis in action at the tourney tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

It looks like you have some chunks in your flesh colored paint. Everything else is nice and smooth, but the faces have noticeable bumps.

During normal play they'd probably be unnoticeable. I'm probably just seeing it due to the close up pictures.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Knowing Ilor, his pot of flesh paint is likely some hideous Ral Partha mixture that's twice as old as these forums. Still looks good though! Good luck at the tourney.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Spent the afternoon trying out paint schemes for my Steel Legion tanks

Ended up going with the top option, and then weathering it up. Maybe a little too much.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Electric Hobo posted:

Where do they have Testors in Denmark? I've never seen it around here.

Show-fow.dk only place I know of that carries it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

DJ Dizzy posted:

Show-fow.dk only place I know of that carries it.

Thanks!
Who the gently caress closes their online store because they're counting all their stuff? Don't they know how a webshop works?