Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
naM sdrawkcaB
Feb 17, 2011

So I just started playing this today and have a few questions.

Should I be leveling up several classes or can I focus on one to begin with?

At what level will the game become challenging? I've reached Lv15 and so far it's been a walk in the park. Am I still in the tutorial?

This my first MMO so I'm still a bit unsure on what's going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Belzac posted:

I'm being hyperbolic, as I am want to do. It's not horrible and compared to other primals it's fitting and I wouldn't change it but it doesn't mean I would listen to it on it's own and enjoy it as I would with other themes.

Fair. It's top tier for me, along with Shiva, Titan, and the Alex themes.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Ravana has the best music, and quite frankly, they need to make a flying bug mount with the whistle dropping in EX that plays the 2nd part of his theme when riding it. I'd farm that every day till it dropped.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Belzac posted:

You don't need to do Ifrit, Titan, or Garuda who were originally required for a couple end game things and are no longer.

You actually do need to do them.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Ravana is obnoxious as melee, I'll grant that.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Nipponophile posted:

You actually do need to do them.

The hard modes aren't part of the MSQ and I don't even believe they unlock Coil anymore so what are they still needed for besides old relic?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

naM sdrawkcaB posted:

At what level will the game become challenging? I've reached Lv15 and so far it's been a walk in the park. Am I still in the tutorial?

Focus one until 30. At that point your class quests will end and your job quests will have an annoying requirement of "level 15 in [other class]" to unlock. Getting your job is super worthwhile, so stop and level [other class] at least to 15.

Plus you get a battle chocobo that also unlocks with a sidequest available at level 30, which makes solo leveling slightly easier.

The challenge ramps up gradually. The game's designed such that it's still accessible as babby's first MMO. I'd say mid 30s is when you first start getting reasonably interesting mechanics (both for dungeons and for your own combat skills, though the latter varies with class/job), and it ramps up from there. Mid 30s is also when the story really gets going.

What class are you playing?

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Remember to ask for advice anytime in game if you need guidance as you play as well. We've got some FCs scattered around different worlds, but the main one is Excalibur. What world are you on?

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Belzac posted:

The hard modes aren't part of the MSQ and I don't even believe they unlock Coil anymore so what are they still needed for besides old relic?

They are required to access the 2.5 main scenario. I don't know why, but its there.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 14, 2016

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

naM sdrawkcaB posted:

To add what the previous poster said - stick to one class till you get to about 30, level the secondary class to 15, then go back to your main. If you decide to craft / gather, wait until you select a grand company, since they offer items that help get you experience. The armory bonus means that whatever class you decide to level will gain 100% more experience provided it's under your top level class (this bonus switches to 50% once you hit level 50). The majority of the stuff in this game is unlocked through doing the main quests.

Around level 30, you'll start seeing bosses that have particular mechanics you need to follow, or the party dies. Level 15 has super easy bosses and yeah, you're still in tutorial mode. Also, level 30 in general is where the game starts getting real fun because your combos (if you're playing a disciple of war class) fill out, and you get job-specific abilities to mix things up.

I'm not sure what server you're on, but always ask for help if you need gear or anything. People are pretty cool at helping newbies out.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

naM sdrawkcaB posted:

The whole early part of the game up before the mid 20s at least is built with the expectation that it is the first MMO for a lot of its players, so it is pretty easy by design. Granted it never gets genuinely hard outside of endgame fights but the difficulty will go up as you go up in level.

If you enjoy your current class go ahead and focus on it. The only real need to level up another class comes at 30, when you need to have a second class at 15 to unlock the job crystal for the level 30 class. Other than that, work on as many or as few classes as you please. You get bonus xp for any combat class lower than your highest level class as well.

If you are keeping up to date with the main story quests (you should be doing this) you should be right at the point of starting the first dungeon. It and the next few are all pretty simple but they'll start to give you an idea of the sort of fight mechanics you'll see going forward.

naM sdrawkcaB
Feb 17, 2011

Vil posted:

What class are you playing?

Playing as a pugilist because it seemed like the most fun. It is fun.

CrashScreen posted:

Remember to ask for advice anytime in game if you need guidance as you play as well. We've got some FCs scattered around different worlds, but the main one is Excalibur. What world are you on?

I'm on Shiva I think? Excalibur wasn't on the list when I started.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

naM sdrawkcaB posted:

I'm on Shiva I think? Excalibur wasn't on the list when I started.

Change the datacenter to primal, and roll on excalibur. Goons will help you out with free gear and dungeon runs.

naM sdrawkcaB
Feb 17, 2011

DarkstarIV posted:

Change the datacenter to primal, and roll on excalibur. Goons will help you out with free gear and dungeon runs.

Can I just move over to a new world or will I need to start from scratch?

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Volume posted:

But doesnt umbral ice also give a damage boost to ice spells?

Your Fire Spells do more damage in Astral Fire then your Ice Spells do in Umbral Ice. Also THM is the one class that never needs to worry about using all their MP.

Edit: ^^ you can pay 18 USD to transfer if you really don't want to start over

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Since you just started playing today, just make a new character.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

naM sdrawkcaB posted:

Can I just move over to a new world or will I need to start from scratch?

If you don't want to start from scratch, you can move to a new world. It costs $18 and requires your character to have been created (nisi fallor) at least 72 hours ago.

Since it's sometimes difficult to directly create characters on high-pop servers like Excalibur in the first place, you may want to keep this option in your back pocket even if you'd be willing to start from scratch.

naM sdrawkcaB posted:

Pugilist (later monk) is indeed fun. In your case, [other class] that you have to get to 15 will be lancer. Lancer's got some nice cross-class abilities at 22 (cooldown that restores 400 TP) and 34 (cooldown that gives you +10% damage), so you'll eventually want to push it past 15 too.

naM sdrawkcaB
Feb 17, 2011

Just tried to create a new character on Excalibur, but it's all full. I'll stick with my current guy for now and see if I can move over later.

Thanks for the help. I may be back later.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Volume posted:

But doesnt umbral ice also give a damage boost to ice spells?

Umbral ice makes your MP regenerate very fast, makes ice spells cost more to cast, makes fire spells cost less to cast, and at three stacks makes fire spells cast very quickly
Astral fire makes your MP stop regenerating, makes fire spells cost more to cast, makes fire spells do more damage (I think it's +40%, +60%, +80% for one, two, and three stacks?), makes ice spells cost less, and at three stacks makes ice spells cast very quickly.

Also when you get Fire III and Blizzard III, those make you generate an immediate full stack of the respective element so switching is really rapid eventually.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The core concept of the black mage rotation really isn't obvious to new players, especially those who are more familiar with the rest of the FF series or FF11 than they are with recent MMOs. The traning hall can't come soon enough.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

armoredgorilla posted:

We did an item synched Cape Westwind for Brawn a couple weeks ago and hosed it up good. Goons rule.
That loving guy and his missile barrages, I'm still not sure what the deal is but running to the complete opposite end of the area stopped me from dying so I'm going to assume that's the strategy.

I'm pretty sure Iam Craig is the same race/class as me and has now (or will soon) outlevel me but whatever it just means even more newbie rewards for DGKK goons

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

If you're actually doing mechanics for Cape Westwind, he occasionally has a pretty obvious animation of shooting some missiles up in the air. A short while (15 sec?) after he does that, there'll be a giant but very quick circle centered on wherever he was when he shot the missiles. If you're not already out of it or near the edge of it when it appears, you're not gonna get out in time - it's too big and too quick a circle.

So, general idea is, when he shoots missiles, everyone should mosey over to a good ways away, so they'll be out of harm's way when they come back down.

In practice, of course, even vaguely decent gear at level 50, let alone being unsynced at level 60, will let you blatantly trivialize and ignore all that by simply eating the missile damage (or killing him beforehand).

drink slurm
Feb 18, 2010

Anime and Weed, what else do you need?

nuru posted:

Ravana is obnoxious as melee, I'll grant that.

its worse on brd / mch with the wings stuff and the constant movement in every phase

naM sdrawkcaB
Feb 17, 2011

There's far too many cat-girls in this game. Gotta fight back......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwtfFhfgVqQ

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

naM sdrawkcaB posted:

Just tried to create a new character on Excalibur, but it's all full. I'll stick with my current guy for now and see if I can move over later.

Thanks for the help. I may be back later.

Excalibur is a pretty full server, and it usually isn't open till 1am or so. If you're willing to stay up late, that's usually a good option.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Fister Roboto posted:

The core concept of the black mage rotation really isn't obvious to new players, especially those who are more familiar with the rest of the FF series or FF11 than they are with recent MMOs. The traning hall can't come soon enough.

I thought the basics were pretty clear. Fire buff is big damage with no mana regen. Ice buff is comparatively less damage with huge mana regen. Switch when you either have burned through all your mp, or have max again.

The tools to actually do this change as you level, but the basic theory of Fire to do damage, Ice to regain mana should be pretty simple to everyone.

naM sdrawkcaB
Feb 17, 2011

seiferguy posted:

Excalibur is a pretty full server, and it usually isn't open till 1am or so. If you're willing to stay up late, that's usually a good option.

1am in what time zone?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Pacific. You also have real good chances of trying 20m before a scheduled maintenance or as soon as the server comes up from maintenance

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
Generally from 5am-7am-ish give or take an hour or two Eastern standard time is when I've found it's open for new players.

naM sdrawkcaB
Feb 17, 2011

Cool, thats about 10am for me.

Fangthane
May 16, 2007
Be true, Unbeliever.

naM sdrawkcaB posted:

Boss? Is that you?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
It is well worth rerolling on or transferring to Excalibur if you just started. FF goons are awesome goons and super helpful.

Also please don't feel bad asking for help or folks to run content with. Worst case you just solo queue for a dungeon anyway but you can often get folks to come along especially if you make it known it is a newbie run. Older content is incentivised for people to run with new players and the class switch mechanic means that far more players than you might expect have classes that need leveling at the same level range you do.

naM sdrawkcaB
Feb 17, 2011

Tortolia posted:

It is well worth rerolling on or transferring to Excalibur if you just started. FF goons are awesome goons and super helpful.

Also please don't feel bad asking for help or folks to run content with. Worst case you just solo queue for a dungeon anyway but you can often get folks to come along especially if you make it known it is a newbie run. Older content is incentivised for people to run with new players and the class switch mechanic means that far more players than you might expect have classes that need leveling at the same level range you do.

Thanks, I'll deffo look into transferring my guy across. I cant possibly leave this beautiful bastard behind:

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

naM sdrawkcaB posted:

Thanks, I'll deffo look into transferring my guy across. I cant possibly leave this beautiful bastard behind:

When you made your character it asked you to save appearance data, so you could load that data and just remake him name and all :v:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Drizvolta posted:

When you made your character it asked you to save appearance data, so you could load that data and just remake him name and all :v:

This is true. Paid transfers do seem get around the server creation caps, so it boils down to your personal time vs money calculus.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Tortolia posted:

Seconding this. Pay it forward. Ask for help. There are i115 crafted weapons for when you ding 50. Let people know if you're doing stuff where you'll give a newbie bonus, some people are thirsty as hell for it. Don't do crafting unless you're willing to 60 every crafting class. You're also going to need more than several million gil to get to that point. Ask FC crafters, most any will do it for you for free.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

naM sdrawkcaB posted:

You and Godbert are going to get along swimmingly.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

drink slurm posted:

its worse on brd / mch with the wings stuff and the constant movement in every phase

BRD/MCH having to deal with his parry poo poo was very rude, especially with Gauss/Wanderer's.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Scrublord Prime posted:

I hope it involves having to use the /beckon command to get 'em out of aoes

ffffffFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF :byodood:

Tortolia posted:

This is true. Paid transfers do seem get around the server creation caps, so it boils down to your personal time vs money calculus.

People are very eager to pay money to bypass Balmung's near 24/7 lock out I hear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Seconding this. Pay it forward. Ask for help. There are i115 crafted weapons for when you ding 50. Let people know if you're doing stuff where you'll give a newbie bonus, some people are thirsty as hell for it. Don't do crafting unless you're willing to 60 every crafting class. You're also going to need more than several million gil to get to that point. Ask FC crafters, most any will do it for you for free.

Speaking of cool goons, thanks to the guy who put the chocobo color fruit in the TPT stash. I forget who it was even though I talked to you when you announced.

• Locked thread