Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
It's not like you would have to see Daredevil in a movie theater as opposed to BvS, it's part of netflix already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I'm just going to stream Daredevil on my phone while watching BvS opening day. Hope the people behind me thought to binge through at least 2 episodes more than I got to.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Gyges posted:

I'm just going to stream Daredevil on my phone while watching BvS opening day. Hope the people behind me thought to binge through at least 2 episodes more than I got to.

I'm going to record BvS on my phone and watch it and daredevil live as it comes off my phone on an oculus rift, one show per screen

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

1. Late March is a really weird release date for a major superhero film release.

2. No contest for me, staying home for Daredevil because gently caress Zack Snyder.

I hated Man of Steel, and I still haven't been sold on Chuckie Sullivan as Batman, so yeah. DD, no contest.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Official teaser (no new footage). Getting released a week before BvS, not on the same day.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

But our hyperbolic media narratives :negative:

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
That imagery is very silly. Good heavens.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Wouldn't a better idea have been to have the scenes be stained glass instead of Sistine Chapel? Especially if you're going to blow out the glass and have it be boring regular glass. Hell, have the scenes be stained glass and then as the camera pans to the inside to show the nave, have them blow out as the camera focuses on the skull motif painted in the nave.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Are we ever supposed to empathize with Robyn? I get that her brother died but she is so unreasonable and just downright stupid/selfish/neurotic the whole show I was just waiting for her to be killed off.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't know if you're "supposed to" sympathize with Robyn as much as you're supposed to recognize that it would be the right thing to do to sympathize with her even though she makes it really, really hard.

A lot of Malcolm's second half story is that he's such a good person he's really trying to by sympathetic to her despite how bad she is. Through him the show is clearly saying that she's annoying and ridiculous and crazy and it would be easier to just walk away but Malcolm is a really, really good guy (who feels really, really guilty about the poo poo he's done) so he sees past all that and to the hurt and loneliness she's feeling and sticks around anyway.

Which he also does with Jessica but with Robyn its way more overt since she's not a PTSD superhero trying to save lives while people die all around her. But its the same basic idea. Jessica and Robyn are both people who push others away and Malcolm is someone who wants to help enough that he resists that and keeps digging in. If you don't sympathize with Robyn it doesn't so much make you "wrong" as it means you took "the easy" route that Malcolm resisted.

Which is part of the bigger theme of the series, I think, since much of it is about how Jessica could run away and stop giving a poo poo and it would be much, much easier. At any point she could have given up on Hope and everyone including Hope herself asked her to. But Jessica simply couldn't take the "easy" route because she was too driven to do what she thought was right.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Basically you are supposed to sympathize with other human beings. Robyn is an example of how The Purple Man perceives most people.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I was really sad when Killgrave made Rueben kill himself, but Jesus is Robyn annoying and awful after it happens. I definitely like that the show isn't afraid to do bad things to characters who are innocent while the annoying and awful ones stick around. Just like in real life!!!

I really, really loved Jessica Jones and I'm gonna watch Daredevil now because JJ was so amazing. I don't really care about Daredevil but I'll give him a chance. I also didn't care about Green Arrow or Flash until I watched those shows, so :shrug:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I was really sad when Killgrave made Rueben kill himself, but Jesus is Robyn annoying and awful after it happens. I definitely like that the show isn't afraid to do bad things to characters who are innocent while the annoying and awful ones stick around. Just like in real life!!!

I really, really loved Jessica Jones and I'm gonna watch Daredevil now because JJ was so amazing. I don't really care about Daredevil but I'll give him a chance. I also didn't care about Green Arrow or Flash until I watched those shows, so :shrug:

It's worth watching all of Daredevil, even if you aren't into it initially. I feel like it doesn't get really good until much later than JJ.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

JJ is the better show, but DD is more fun, if that makes sense.

I'm currently rewatching now and "give me a red" is still cool as gently caress. I love this show, but holy poo poo they have to do something about the jumping/flying effects for next season.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Daredevil slams on the accelerator a lot sooner than JJ which makes it much easier to binge. If you like ultraviolence then you'll appreciate it for sure.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Are we certain kilgrave is dead-dead? I loved his character and feel like whoever they come up with next won't be nearly as compelling.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Knifegrab posted:

Are we certain kilgrave is dead-dead? I loved his character and feel like whoever they come up with next won't be nearly as compelling.

Pretty sure when the woman you tormented for years uses her super strength to snap your neck immediately after you threatened to turn her sister into a sex slave that poo poo is pretty irreparably broken, and you're somewhere in the neighborhood of 110% dead.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Knifegrab posted:

For sure. Unless they pull some kinda "Kilgrave just told them all he was dead" kinda poo poo but that would undermine the whole season so that's not gonna happen

Knifegrab posted:

Are we ever supposed to empathize with Robyn? I get that her brother died but she is so unreasonable and just downright stupid/selfish/neurotic the whole show I was just waiting for her to be killed off.

I think you're supposed to not wish death upon a person just because they're neurotic and annoying

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Hakkesshu posted:

I think you're supposed to not wish death upon a person just because they're neurotic and annoying

It's me, I'm a terrible person. :negative:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Gyges posted:

Pretty sure when the woman you tormented for years uses her super strength to snap your neck immediately after you threatened to turn her sister into a sex slave that poo poo is pretty irreparably broken, and you're somewhere in the neighborhood of 110% dead.

I won't lie, part of me expected Jessica to like twist his head around so much it popped off and then jump up and down on it a few times just to make sure. Killing him was just such a massive moment and important thing the actual act of it almost felt muted. And any kind of fuckery that reversed it would really betray the character and story hugely. Kilgrave SHOULD be dead and he always had to be in order for Jessica to heal and become a hero.

Hakkesshu posted:

Yes, there is that too.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Snak posted:

Basically you are supposed to sympathize with other human beings. Robyn is an example of how The Purple Man perceives most people.

The very first time we see Kilgrave in the series he walks into some upper class penthouse suite and tells the children to not ever speak, and go stand in a closet. It checks out.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

STAC Goat posted:

I won't lie, part of me expected Jessica to like twist his head around so much it popped off and then jump up and down on it a few times just to make sure. Killing him was just such a massive moment and important thing the actual act of it almost felt muted. And any kind of fuckery that reversed it would really betray the character and story hugely. Kilgrave SHOULD be dead and he always had to be in order for Jessica to heal and become a hero.

I don't know, the "SMILE." right before it was pretty good. It's not like she can afford to make it slow and painful, he's basically the most powerful man on the planet as long as he can talk.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

I'm pretty sure he's dead-dead but I wouldn't be surprised to see him back on the show. I mean, Jessica thought she'd killed him at the start of the show and was still deeply traumatised by him. I think he's always going to be there lurking about in the back of her mind.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Kegslayer posted:

I'm pretty sure he's dead-dead but I wouldn't be surprised to see him back on the show. I mean, Jessica thought she'd killed him at the start of the show and was still deeply traumatised by him. I think he's always going to be there lurking about in the back of her mind.

Yeah, just because he's dead doesn't mean the character can no longer be used at all. He's so impactful on Jessica's psyche, I'm sure they'll engineer some reason for her to see or hear him, in a subjective or hallucinatory sense.

Whoever she fights in a second season will probably trigger his memory, intentionally or not. I expect to see Tennant again.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
If it was a comic book he'd obviously be alive eventually but they can afford to leave him alone in the TV show. They don't have that much time to fill.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

PerniciousKnid posted:

If it was a comic book he'd obviously be alive eventually but they can afford to leave him alone in the TV show. They don't have that much time to fill.

I believe you mean they don't have that much time

:cool:

to kill.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Frank Miller doesn't give a gently caress what they do with Elektra in Season 2 because he's an old man yelling at a cloud. DD producers don't give a gently caress right back: http://www.ew.com/article/2016/01/14/daredevil-frank-miller-elektra

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Miller killed Elektra off shortly after introducing her and he's been mad about her not being dead for like 30 years.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Good first season but why didn't she just wear headphones every episode?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Did you miss the part where the easily knocked off headphones got knocked off? Or maybe you are also unaware that Killgrave can just order other people to kill you if he cannot give you orders?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Oh they made that show first but it was zero minutes long.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

NecroMonster posted:

Did you miss the part where the easily knocked off headphones got knocked off? Or maybe you are also unaware that Killgrave can just order other people to kill you if he cannot give you orders?

Or just commands you non-verbally to take off the headphones (His power is based on pheromones, not audio)

OR YELLS THE COMMANDS REALLY LOUDLY! (good luck blocking that with cheap headphones).

To block his powers, you need something hermetically sealed like a Hazard suit or the Iron Man suit.

Why didn't she use one?

A: She's not that smart

Issaries fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 15, 2016

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Earplugs of basically any kind are totally poo poo for a lot of these same reasons.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

adhuin posted:

Or just commands you non-verbally to take off the headphones (His power is based on pheromones, not audio)

OR YELLS THE COMMANDS REALLY LOUDLY! (good luck blocking that with cheap headphones).

To block his powers, you need something hermetically sealed like a Hazard suit or the Iron Man suit.

Why didn't she use one?

A: She's not that smart

They also didn't know how the powers worked until relatively late into the game.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

broken clock opsec posted:

The very first time we see Kilgrave in the series he walks into some upper class penthouse suite and tells the children to not ever speak, and go stand in a closet. It checks out.

Yeah. Just because you find other people annoying doesn't mean they don't have feelings, and have a right to do their own thing even if you don't like it. Making her like that is part of why we empathize with Kilgrave at some level, because she makes us wish she would just go away because we want her to, instead of just accepting her as a person.

STAC Goat posted:

I won't lie, part of me expected Jessica to like twist his head around so much it popped off and then jump up and down on it a few times just to make sure.

I thought they were hinting at something at that with the "Gonna get me into Supermax!" episode, with how she teared apart Reuben's head and walked around with it so casually. She already did it once, she could've done it again to her most hated person in the world.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Kal-L posted:

I thought they were hinting at something at that with the "Gonna get me into Supermax!" episode, with how she teared apart Reuben's head and walked around with it so casually. She already did it once, she could've done it again to her most hated person in the world.

I loved that episode because it was a dumb and desperate plan that was horribly executed by an emotionally compromised Jessica---then it was wiped away in the last 10 minutes and was never spoken of again. :allears:

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Netflix Marvel news: The Punisher may very well be getting his own series with Bernthal in the role. Everyone is pleased.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Way to spoil Daredevil Season 2. Now I know Matt doesn't ninja kill Frank.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Or it's a prequel series to his presence in Daredevil S2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Apoplexy posted:

Netflix Marvel news: The Punisher may very well be getting his own series with Bernthal in the role. Everyone is pleased.

Yet Jessica Jones S2 remains unannounced :negative: