Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

zoux posted:

Eh everyone expects Yahoo to fail.

But you're right, it could be just how it is from now on and we have to pay $3 bucks a month because somehow the Golf Channel scored a can't miss prestige drama.

Timothy Olyphant is...TIN CUP

Developed for television by Kevin Falls

"A rousing and surprisingly tender sports dramedy." -Alan Sepinwall, hitfix.com

"Olyphant is electric in the role originated by Kevin Costner, who directs the pilot with the verve of someone 40 years younger...Peak TV at its most ridiculous ends up being Peak TV at its most enthralling." James Poniewozik, The New York Times

"Molly's a real oval office" -Quinn Mallory IRL, Something Awful Forums

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah I agree with that. I have a few friends who watch all their CW programming on Netflix and once it's gone, they're done.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Netflix better up their game, all they're gonna have left is their own shows.

Isn't the problem that Netflix's game is too good and it's freaking out the networks?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Netflix better up their game, all they're gonna have left is their own shows.
Except this is literally what they're trying to do.

You'd make a great network TV exec.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
At this rate what will happen is that the networks that pull their shows from Netflix and then fail to get their own streaming services off the ground will then have to come crawling back to Netflix with Netflix now having the upper hand in contract negotiation.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
This is more likely to hurt Netfilx:

quote:

In the coming weeks, Netflix plans to ensure that customers are only able to access the official library for the country they are currently in, not any overseas libraries they may attempt to access with technical tricks such as proxy servers and unblocking services.

Till now, geo-dodging meant Netflix could act as a paid pirating service.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Snak posted:

At this rate what will happen is that the networks that pull their shows from Netflix and then fail to get their own streaming services off the ground will then have to come crawling back to Netflix with Netflix now having the upper hand in contract negotiation.

Fingers crossed.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Snak posted:

Nah, they're more likely to turn to Amazon or Hulu. I can see Amazon being the more attractive option, actually, if their add-on service ends up being a success. Like you said, it's actually a REALLY smart idea.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Amazon has the advantage of offering other benefits besides streaming, like they are planning on rolling out an across the board 20% discount on all video games for Prime members.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Plus it's drat cheap if you have an .edu email address.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

zoux posted:

Eh everyone expects Yahoo to fail.

But you're right, it could be just how it is from now on and we have to pay $3 bucks a month because somehow the Golf Channel scored a can't miss prestige drama.

Well, isn't this what everyone wanted? The brave new world of a la carte television?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

zoux posted:

Amazon has the advantage of offering other benefits besides streaming, like they are planning on rolling out an across the board 20% discount on all video games for Prime members.

I thought it was just for pre-orders and the first 2 weeks a game is out?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

raditts posted:

Well, isn't this what everyone wanted? The brave new world of a la carte television?

That world is hardly new. :filez:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

raditts posted:

drat it, you beat me to it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Fateo McMurray posted:

It is, and I believe it's already in effect. I saw the discounted price when I was looking up some upcoming games today.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Slamhound posted:

Netflix still got your subscription money and the content you watched still got the viewership credit, that's like the opposite of piracy.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, everyone has said for years that cable would be fine if you could could pick and choose what channels you paid for. Now it's pretty much going to happen. Just not through the cable company.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Legends Of Tomorrow looks as terrible as the other comic book shows.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

James Woods Fan posted:

I like the other two shows, well Flash less so, but yeah it doesn't look that great. I think they've reached the point where they're trying to do too much.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

X-O posted:

Yeah, everyone has said for years that cable would be fine if you could could pick and choose what channels you paid for. Now it's pretty much going to happen. Just not through the cable company.

Seems like it would be easier if there was a Steam-like client for all of these channels, where you could pay for whatever channels you want. So like 3 dollars for CW, 5 dollars for HBO, etc. At the end, it's like 50 dollars a month for all the channels you want, no commercials. And if you don't want to pay, that's all good, CSPAN is free! The client takes a ten percent cut from all transactions, the channel execs are happy, the audience is happy.

That's how I make my millies.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fateo McMurray posted:

Oh? Well that's still pretty good.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

zoux posted:

The 2 week thing is the best part. You can wait until proper impressions are out before making the $47 plunge

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tortolia posted:

12 Monkeys S2 is starting on April 18th.

April is going to be hype. 12 Monkeys, GoT, Banshee. :circlefap:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

zoux posted:

It's like they realized that they can never compete with Steam and people who are willing to wait 6 months to buy games at :10bux: so instead they decided to target people who have to buy a game right when it comes out.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
So have you ever wondered to yourself, "What would it be like if Heroes did a rehash episode of Company Man, but this time there's a rape baby involved?"

Well wonder no longer.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

James Woods Fan posted:

I agree.

How terrible are the other comic book shows? Not terrible at all? Yeah, thought so.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Actually they are dogshit.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

Actually they are dogshit.

Yeah but that's just like you're opinion man.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

USA's new science fiction show starring Josh Holloway starts up in a little bit.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

USA's new science fiction show starring Josh Holloway starts up in a little bit.

Normally I'd be skeptical as hell but Mr. Robot killed.

Also: am I crazy or is Elisha Cuthbert a really good comedic actress?

zoux fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 15, 2016

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

zoux posted:

Also: am I crazy or is Elisha Cuthbert a really good comedic actress?

You're not crazy, she's a phenomenal comic actress. Underrated dramatic actress too, IMO; I liked her work in The Girl Next Door and He Was a Quiet Man (an otherwise terrible indie film with Christian Slater). She just never really lived down the cougar poo poo from 24.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I got bummed when Holloway's last show was canceled so I'm hesitant to start watching Colony.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ravane posted:

5 dollars for HBO

There wishing for something and then there's being delusional. You've just crossed that line.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

X-O posted:

There wishing for something and then there's being delusional. You've just crossed that line.

I've never paid for HBO, how much does it cost per month?

Nvm. 15 dollars per month. On regular tv. that's kinda insane, how do they get that many viewers? How does it even make a profit.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Slamhound posted:

This is more likely to hurt Netfilx:

Man, this sucks. :( I had a VPN almost specifically for this reason, too.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Colony: is this basically a more benign version of the half life 2 setting?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Colony certainly comes across as USA's most expensive show. So far no shoddy blue screens and the FX has been pretty well done.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Ravane posted:

I've never paid for HBO, how much does it cost per month?

Nvm. 15 dollars per month. On regular tv. that's kinda insane, how do they get that many viewers? How does it even make a profit.

There's almost always some package on my carrier where you get all of HBO's channels as well as Cinemax or Starz or something for like $10 a month, maybe less. I never get it because I don't give a poo poo about movie channels.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
What happened to watching TV on your phone. I remember Sprint used to have that option. Why are old people unwilling to let the tv go. Nobody wants to watch tv on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I watch stuff on my phone all the time. Usually while pooping.

• Locked thread