Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Steve2911 posted:

gushing from Jackson's filthy old balls

Mods please change thread title to:
The Hateful Eight: gushing from Jackson's filthy old balls.

tia.

also don't read what that dude said if you haven't seen the film because it's spoilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

That's a gorgeous album cover, as well. I hope Morricone wins!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I think the 70mm roadshow is officially gone from theaters near me, so what the hell:

FreudianSlippers posted:

tia.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Harime Nui posted:

He uses a pistol.

also the shot is from the top of a staircase while she's standing in a side doorway on the ground floor in front of him, yet somehow that sends her flying directly backward into a room. that shot stuck in my head because the physics were so hosed but somehow that just made it better, emphasized how much scorn he had for the concept of the genteel southern lady of the house--I think she had interrupted a scene between Django and Jackson's character? plus the house slaves' reactions. What an ending.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 15, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Vegetable posted:

Three things

1) I wish Tarantino did more with the whodunnit angle. We aren't given a chance to see how each character might be suspicious so there's no intrigue at all. Also, Daisy's secret isn't a meaningful secret if she's just a passive bystander through the whole affair.

2) Channing Tatum is horribly miscast. I was excited to see him when I did, but the longer he stayed on screen the worse the decision to cast him seemed.

3) Viggo Mortensen apparently lobbied for a role in this film. That would have been awesome.
I really love Tatum in the movie because he rolls in as this beautiful lancelot-esque character, and then he's immediately destroyed by the ugliness and strife he steps into. I assumed the casting was on purpose. He's Domergue's knight in shining armor.

I think he's the only beautiful and clean person in the movie, aside from six-horse sally or whatever, who suffered a similar fate as Tatum's character. Hell even his boots were sexy.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 15, 2016

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Jody has kind of hosed up teeth if you look quickly. I thought it was actually a neat touch, like he looks handsome and charming at first glance but the longer you look at him the scuzzier he looks under scrutiny.

e:

Like, first impression:

Under scrutiny:

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 15, 2016

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

rockopete posted:

also the shot is from the top of a staircase while she's standing in a side doorway on the ground floor in front of him, yet somehow that sends her flying directly backward into a room. that shot stuck in my head because the physics were so hosed but somehow that just made it better, emphasized how much scorn he had for the concept of the genteel southern lady of the house--I think she had interrupted a scene between Django and Jackson's character? plus the house slaves' reactions. What an ending.

She's literally just yanked offstage, it's hilarious.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Harime Nui posted:

Under scrutiny:

Good point. But I'd still pick that over Mexican Bob on a cold night. Maybe it's another nod to Tarantino's obsession with things Japanese?

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

I'm not a huge Tarantino fan but I loved the movie. Can it really be called chewing scenery if it's the same room the entire time?

Whole bunch of little things that made me laugh like a kid, Walton Goggins' character not realizing the coffee was poisoned after seeing two people projectile vomiting blood all over the place until Russel goes "Mannix, the coffee...." and his face of shock, then wiping his glove off like it could've possibly been secreted through it or something.

I didn't feel like the length mattered, enjoyed every minute of it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I love Tarantino and I liked this film but it is also probably my least favorite of his. The dialogue just wasn't quite up to par imo. Beautiful outdoors shots though and quite a few funny moments. Not bad.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

coyo7e posted:

Good point. But I'd still pick that over Mexican Bob on a cold night. Maybe it's another nod to Tarantino's obsession with things Japanese?

I think the idea is that he's superficially charming, but very quickly you get the sense that he's as brutal as anyone else in the gang. I'm reminded of an old quote about Ted Bundy, which was that he could keep up an act of being this charming, all-American boy for maybe five minutes of solid conversation---but if you pushed him further you'd start to see some cracks and after ten minutes you'd be completely unnerved.

That said, he clearly loves his sister----risking his life and the lives of his entire gang for her, with which they all willingly go along. That's a lot of loyalty for such bad men. I think the film's clearly begging the question if the kind of pack loyalty the Domingre Gang demonstrates---the loyalty to kin espoused in different ways by Mannix and General Smithers---is better than John Ruth's brutality in the name of higher principals like "dispassionate justice."

e: Also, I did get your reference to tsuke yaeba, JSYK!

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jan 15, 2016

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Harime Nui posted:

That said, he clearly loves his sister----risking his life and the lives of his entire gang for her, with which they all willingly go along. That's a lot of loyalty for such bad men. I think the film's clearly begging the question if the kind of pack loyalty the Domingre Gang demonstrates---the loyalty to kin espoused in different ways by Mannix and General Smithers---is better than John Ruth's brutality in the name of higher principals like "dispassionate justice."

Is it better, though? Given that it is shown to result in the coldblooded murder of innocents--say what you like about John Ruth, he was only brutal toward those condemned by the law, as far as we can see, and even then he put himself in grave danger to get his prey to the hangman rather than kill them. If Marquis had decided to go after Daisy and had beaten John Ruth to her, his ruthless pragmatism would leave us without a movie. Marquis's slaughter of indians and Mannix's part in terrorizing blacks make for a better contrast to the Domergues than John Ruth.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is a fantastic movie and maybe Tarantino's best for visuals and acting but overall I didn't quite find the dialogue as strong as I should have. Writing-wise it isn't always enthralling even though thematically it's one of the more interesting movies he's done. It's like an A concept with B+ dialogue, and this stops it from quite being the "bar scene in Basterds but for a whole movie" it could have been at its best. I'm not as bummed out about it not getting a screenplay nom as I expected.

70mm was excellent though. I'm rooting for it in every category it's nominated for.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Okay, something that's really bothering me about Hateful Eight and that I just can't get out of my head....... in the first act where Marquis and John Ruth are both smoking their pipes, those are clearly new pipes. There's no bite marks or spit stains or anything on the stems, both pipes look like they just came right out of the store. And I mean, they are very attractive pipes, they look like they'd give a very luscious smoke, but as a pipe smoker there is no way either of those pipes aren't brand loving new gotta say it

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
maybe they were brand new pipes. Both John and Marquis are seemingly motivated entirely by money. Notice also that Marquis's cavalry uniform is spotless and in perfect condition. It's clearly not the one he wore during the war, so he must be maintaining it for reasons of vanity.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
That's true, plausible, and fits with Marquis's character----one of the most noticeable things about him is how he loves his white cavalry gloves. OTOH nah, those props were a mix of Q. wanting ostentatious goofy pipes and nobody onset pointing out that poo poo gonna look used. But no it's not gonna break the movie for me or smth.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Harime Nui posted:

That's true, plausible, and fits with Marquis's character----one of the most noticeable things about him is how he loves his white cavalry gloves. OTOH nah, those props were a mix of Q. wanting ostentatious goofy pipes and nobody onset pointing out that poo poo gonna look used. But no it's not gonna break the movie for me or smth.

I think pipes are some of the hardest props to age, unless you've got actors who aren't worried about the ick factor.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Man they should be the easiest. Just ask me for some of mine, I even got a Turkface, the king of fancy pipes :(

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Harime Nui posted:

Okay, something that's really bothering me about Hateful Eight and that I just can't get out of my head....... in the first act where Marquis and John Ruth are both smoking their pipes, those are clearly new pipes.

I understand that many people still use pipes, but as a non-smoker who has never used a pipe or been around somebody who does, I see them strictly as amusing props, in the same way that I'm not a gun guy in the slightest so when a character in any film pulls out a huge gun, it's just amusing overkill.

Serious question: were the pipes in Inglorious Basterds an issue for you?

I wonder if Tarantino doesn't think of pipes the same way I do (ie: entirely as amusing props) so maybe custom made and specifically new pipes show up in his films.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I liked the part where the camera focused on a bunch of dude feet. Way to be self-aware, QT. :golfclap:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

I liked the part where the camera focused on a bunch of dude feet. Way to be self-aware, QT. :golfclap:

Yeah I thought it was funny that there were no bare foot shots, but there were lots of booted feet.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

A question for those of you who have seen it twice:

Now that we know that everyone who got there before Ruth and company were all part of Daisy's gang, was there any time early in the movie, before John Ruth took their guns, that they could have taken everyone else out and end the movie at the 45 minute mark?

I understand that Bob couldn't have just killed Marquis in the stable because he didn't know what would be happening in the haberdashery, but once they were all together...?

Or can we assume that they'd rather just take the safe route and wait for the visitors to drink the coffee?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Human Crouton posted:

Now that we know that everyone who got there before Ruth and company were all part of Daisy's gang, was there any time early in the movie, before John Ruth took their guns, that they could have taken everyone else out and end the movie at the 45 minute mark?

I understand that Bob couldn't have just killed Marquis in the stable because he didn't know what would be happening in the haberdashery, but once they were all together...?

Or can we assume that they'd rather just take the safe route and wait for the visitors to drink the coffee?

I mean, there's that line about how they think that they need all four of them just to take down John Ruth by himself. I'm pretty sure they were freaking the gently caress out playing it cool because they didn't expect John to have 2 more killers with him. And then, the old guy that they left to help ad authenticity to the setting is the first to bite it, and he didn't even do anything.

Snak fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 15, 2016

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
Just saw this and absolutely loved it. Agreeing with everyone here that the score is phenomenal. The recurring cello theme has a light hearted " tangled web" kind of vibe to it but the cacophony during the worst of the violence just feels like the world is crashing in on them.

I've seen reviews comparing it to The Thing which I think is pretty appropriate. Not just for the Kurt Russell in a blizzard connection but also the whole paranoia of enclosed spaces angle. And the horrific violence. I also think it owes a lot to Raimi in the use of blood. There's an early shot of Ruth and Domergue from above through the slats in the cabin ceiling that seemed really similar to me to some shots from the first Evil Dead.

I'm suprised the race angle isn't being discussed more. The use of the n word gets discussed but issues of race are all over this film in other ways. The civil war is a backdrop to everything. Plus there's Warren 's attitude to Bob. And the implication that Warren is only able to live as he does in post civil war America as he has committed war crimes against Indians. There are repeated references to the "unconditional surrender" of the South. Then we close on mutual appreciation of a fictional letter from Lincoln. As if all the hatred has been resolved.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

InfiniteZero posted:

I understand that many people still use pipes, but as a non-smoker who has never used a pipe or been around somebody who does, I see them strictly as amusing props, in the same way that I'm not a gun guy in the slightest so when a character in any film pulls out a huge gun, it's just amusing overkill.

Serious question: were the pipes in Inglorious Basterds an issue for you?

I wonder if Tarantino doesn't think of pipes the same way I do (ie: entirely as amusing props) so maybe custom made and specifically new pipes show up in his films.

No, it was a joke. The joke is that it was a spergy nitpick.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
btw I found this on youtube, guys who've already seen the movie might be interested in this. This is B-Roll footage from the outdoor shooting location. Pretty interesting to watch just to see what ACTING looks like from offstage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niVBWxmawws

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

OrthoTrot posted:

I'm suprised the race angle isn't being discussed more. The use of the n word gets discussed but issues of race are all over this film in other ways. The civil war is a backdrop to everything. Plus there's Warren 's attitude to Bob. And the implication that Warren is only able to live as he does in post civil war America as he has committed war crimes against Indians. There are repeated references to the "unconditional surrender" of the South. Then we close on mutual appreciation of a fictional letter from Lincoln. As if all the hatred has been resolved.

I feel like you just missed out on what I think the point Tarantino was trying to make, and that's "everybody is racist somehow". He basically spelled it out for you with Marquis talking about Minnie being universally accepting of every race except Mexicans. She even morphed into being accepting of dogs before then.

My take on it was Tarantino specifically set out to make sure every character said or did something racist as poo poo to make the point. Except for OB. Poor OB.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

O.B. actually stands for ole' bigot. :ssh:

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

Botnit posted:

I feel like you just missed out on what I think the point Tarantino was trying to make, and that's "everybody is racist somehow". He basically spelled it out for you with Marquis talking about Minnie being universally accepting of every race except Mexicans. She even morphed into being accepting of dogs before then.

My take on it was Tarantino specifically set out to make sure every character said or did something racist as poo poo to make the point. Except for OB. Poor OB.

I'm not sure that was the point exactly. My take on it was more America has a history of hate that "civilised" people pretend is unimportant. Even to the point of making up pleasant lies to collectively believe in. Given Tarantino's current political preoccupations I really doubt that what he's going for is "black people are racist too". I mean, that may be true but it hardly seems to be the point of the continual civil war stuff. There are systematic imbalances, both in real life and in this film. The only way Warren can get by is to find someone else to poo poo on, be it Mexicans or Native Americans.

Also the stuff from Warren about Minnie may be his own prejudices not hers - she seems to have no objection at all to Bob in the flashback. So in general I think it's more complicated than "everyone is racist".

And yeah, poor OB. That did not look like a fun way to go.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Is the DCP presentation being shown in the more common 2.39:1 aspect ratio? I saw that version first, and just ended up seeing the 70mm roadshow version last night. I could be wrong, but I could swear that the frame had more breathing room in the 70mm version with there being about a man's width between actors and the edge of the frame in the interior shots, versus the DCP version where the frame generally cut off right at the actors' shoulders.

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

Is the DCP presentation being shown in the more common 2.39:1 aspect ratio? I saw that version first, and just ended up seeing the 70mm roadshow version last night. I could be wrong, but I could swear that the frame had more breathing room in the 70mm version with there being about a man's width between actors and the edge of the frame in the interior shots, versus the DCP version where the frame generally cut off right at the actors' shoulders.

Yes , only the Roadshow is in super panavision/cinemascope. Regular theater is standard 2.39

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Samovar posted:

Also, was there a theme I was missing with the repeated use of documents throughout the film? It happened so many times I thought there must be more to it, but nothing I could verify.

I think it supports the notion of what we believe to be the truth versus reality, and that we blindly trust some official looking piece of documentation without any further analysis. These documents help us define where actions fall on a moral line. Take the Lincoln Letter. It makes Warren more than just a cold-hearted killer. He's a hero. He's someone who had the respect of Abraham Lincoln. Ruth doesn't respect the man for his actions or how he behaves, but rather, because he has a letter from Lincoln. We see this elsewhere too. What separates Ruth from the 4 people in the cabin, morally speaking? Just a piece of paper. When I first saw his prisoner, it reminded me of a battered wife, especially her black-eye. It made me a little uncomfortable. But because he has a piece of paper showing that she's a bounty, he's no longer a villain. English Pete says as much - the paper creates justice. And English Pete's business card. Another form of documentation that means nothing.

Now, I know that a lot of people think it's another false story, but I'm prone to believing that Warren's story is actually the truth because we see it on screen, and in a film like this, what we see and what we don't see is important to determining veracity. We don't see Warren burn down the prison camp. We don't see the bounties collected or anything like that. We don't see the No Dogs or Mexicans sign. In fact, that's contradicted when Senior Bob walks into the Haberdashery and he gets no gruff for being Mexican. So, it seems odd that something we see would be a lie. It's not impossible, but it just seems more in line with how the movie behaves. We were shown it to give it credibility. After all, Tarantino does love to have the characters express their stories through dialog rather than action.

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

I saw it DCP, and it was definitely wider than the 2.39:1 trailers that were shown before the film. And looking at IMDB, the only aspect ratio listed is 2.76:1. The only thing I could think of is if your theater did cropping, but I don't know how of why they would do that.

I also heard that there are some alternate shots used, so maybe that's it. I honestly can't say.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Here the DCP was shown as 2.76:1 in the 2.39:1 DCI spec scope aspect ratio. So the image was letterboxed a bit and not cropped.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

The Human Crouton posted:

I think they could have got them when they were eating stew. Ruth sits on one side of the table (with Daisy, of course- who could have easily distracted him if a play was in motion) while Marquis and Mannix turn their backs to everyone else and dish up their stew.

Soon after arrival at Minnie's, Ruth and Marquis both sussed out that things were amiss. Marquis, knowing Minnie and Sweet Dave from before, and hearing Bob's story, knows that they're dead and the people who did it are in the cabin. That means they've been waiting, and had time to prepare. No way that Marquis thinks that just taking the guns they had on them diffused the danger. It would have been Defcon 1 in his head. No way he holsters his gun, turns his back and grabs that ladle.

As others have mentioned, I would have liked more conversation loaded with subtext as Marquis tried to figure out who's who. Think of the bar scene in Inglorious Bastards- that's just a masterful demonstration of suspense. I loved the scenes where Marquis was basically toying with Bob, and wished there was more of that and less of Ruth being a big dumb jackass.

Also, Madsen looked like he could have used a barrette.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Before I even knew that poisoning was going to happen in the movie, I thought that maybe Bob had poisoned the stew, because there's a scene where he goes to put another log on the fire and his body blocks everyone's view of the pot. I was kind of surprised when they used poison later.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Snak posted:

Before I even knew that poisoning was going to happen in the movie, I thought that maybe Bob had poisoned the stew, because there's a scene where he goes to put another log on the fire and his body blocks everyone's view of the pot. I was kind of surprised when they used poison later.

Before the first act ended I was sure that someone was going to get poisoned and that there may be another unknown person hiding in the cabin, but behind or underneath something in the cabin itself, not in the basement. When it was getting close to the intermission I was actually keeping an eye on the backgrounds of the shots to see if anyone was tip toeing around but by the time Marcus goes into his black dingus speech, I completely forgot about it so when poo poo went down after the intermission, I was still pretty shocked at the turn of events.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

ruddiger posted:

Before the first act ended I was sure that someone was going to get poisoned and that there may be another unknown person hiding in the cabin, but behind or underneath something in the cabin itself, not in the basement. When it was getting close to the intermission I was actually keeping an eye on the backgrounds of the shots to see if anyone was tip toeing around but by the time Marcus goes into his black dingus speech, I completely forgot about it so when poo poo went down after the intermission, I was still pretty shocked at the turn of events.

Speaking of, did anyone else think that dingus was the funniest loving word to use in that context?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

I Before E posted:

Speaking of, did anyone else think that dingus was the funniest loving word to use in that context?

He used a large number of euphemisms in that speech, which was pretty funny.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

When you think about it, somebody hiding in the basement isn't the most satisfying twist to a story. Prior to the reveal, we're never given the suggestion that the basement even exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That's actually what's great about it. They make a big deal setting up the various locations, running lines out to the stables and the outhouse.

• Locked thread