Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

the truth posted:

Freak Show is good for the Pinhead episode and certain parts of the final arc. I recall there might have even been some hints about how the different seasons fit together in one of Jessica Lange's last scenes.

Yeah it's not bad, but like others have said it just feels kind of like a bunch of disconnected storylines. Unlike the previous seasons (where it's obvious) I'm having a really hard time figuring out what the central story that connects everything is supposed to be. It's not really all that bad but just like it has no focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

This show has too many famous people in it, and giving all of them their own storylines is what's making the narrative feel random and disjointed. It's been like this since Coven and I don't think it will get better unless they decide to reduce the cast.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
So I guess Angela Basset's character didn't get killed by The Countess like we all assumed so uuuh what the gently caress was that scene all about?!

TheBizzness posted:

Isn't that Scream Queens?

If you're not joking please cite your source.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

timp posted:

So I guess Angela Basset's character didn't get killed by The Countess like we all assumed so uuuh what the gently caress was that scene all about?!

If you're not joking please cite your source.

Oliver Hudson seems to think so.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Oh nice! I'd accept Scream Queens: CAMP, but it's crucial that they set it in the 80's.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

timp posted:

What is this "we"?
Countess said "kill me or gently caress me and then I'll leave." and they started mackin'. I think it was fairly clear what happened since we saw her walking away. Ramona chose option B. I suppose it still contained the possibility that Countess murdered her but since it gave 2 options and didn't expound past the obvious choices it seemed clear.

[Ed] PS: I'm a 40 something hetero white dude who knows next to nothing about the fashion industry and yet I did the biggest eye roll ever when they showed the boardroom of Will's company.

Really?! Like 30 Mr. Burns all packed into one room. Not loving likely.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 14, 2016

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

DoctorX posted:

This show has too many famous people in it, and giving all of them their own storylines is what's making the narrative feel random and disjointed. It's been like this since Coven and I don't think it will get better unless they decide to reduce the cast.

Yep. I'd chop Angela Bassett immediately. She was good for Coven but she suffers from the same one-character acting as Lange. Bates might also be heading down the same path because this is two seasons in a row where she plays a worried mother.

Sarah Paulson and Lily Rabe should have inherited Lange's screen time.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Feenix posted:

What is this "we"?
Countess said "kill me or gently caress me and then I'll leave." and they started mackin'. I think it was fairly clear what happened since we saw her walking away. Ramona chose option B. I suppose it still contained the possibility that Countess murdered her but since it gave 2 options and didn't expound past the obvious choices it seemed clear.

Just because the Countess wanted to gently caress and didn't want to die doesn't mean Ramona is going to honor that request, lol. I and others in the thread assumed that Gaga must have killed Ramona during sex when her guard was down, which is how she escaped without a scratch. But according to this last episode, apparently not!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Thought the ending was the best or second best the show has had. This season had alot less plot loops but at least it cleaned them up better than the rest. All they need to do now for the next season is have some actual horror and the show could be good again.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I love Angela Bassett and it sucks they can't find a role for her. I really haven't enjoyed any of her characters and like others have said, that screen time would be better spent on Rabe or Paulson.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I just realized that the mostly happy ending means the other witches never bothered to look for Queenie. LOL. She had an enchanted ticket for The Price is Right and never returned, and everybody just shrugged. :byewhore:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Angela Christine posted:

I just realized that the mostly happy ending means the other witches never bothered to look for Queenie. LOL. She had an enchanted ticket for The Price is Right and never returned, and everybody just shrugged. :byewhore:

That would be in line with their characters in the Coven season.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

timp posted:

Just because the Countess wanted to gently caress and didn't want to die doesn't mean Ramona is going to honor that request, lol. I and others in the thread assumed that Gaga must have killed Ramona during sex when her guard was down, which is how she escaped without a scratch. But according to this last episode, apparently not!

The show is kind of a hosed up mishmash of poo poo, but even this show (probably) would have tipped us off SOMEHOW if something other than the 2 stated options had happened. I never once suspected Ramona was dead.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

This felt like the end of the Lord of the Rings but in a...bad way, y'know? poo poo's over. Everything's over. You could have just ended this poo poo on episode 10 or 11 and tossed in a five minute "where are they now?" thing and it would've been acceptable, but...yeah, this just felt long and tonally inconsistent between the two main focuses of this episode. Killer Cop 2015 fucks up and it's just like "*shrug* So now he's dead and can only see his family once a year", all the ghosts are just sorta...cool with each other for all eternity. This whole season was about people being giant dicks to each other in catty ways and then they just kinda forced them to all hug it out and live together and....I dunno. It was definitely underwhelming, they definitely ran out of steam for this. Kinda happy Liz Taylor got a happy ending, definitely happy Scarlett got an okay life. This really did remind me of Freakshow's last episode that limped along and resulted in everyone being ~together forever~ except Freak Show's felt wildly undeserved.

Out of all of these seasons, Hotel is definitely the 3rd best and that's kinda damning it with faint praise just because of how dire Freakshow and Coven were. It's really weird to me that it was two good seasons, two terrible seasons, and then one season that ended up being a C, C+. It's like they decided "look, we've got a 50/50 track rate so let's just deliver half an erection to keep things stable".

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
This wasn't the worst ending possible, I think. It still had the usual AHS problem of deciding to throw new poo poo in the first half of the last episode and then having to cram a billion resolutions into their last 45 minutes.

So we get one episode of Iris and Liz running the hotel and showing off its remodel,
AND Billie Dean's thing beginning and then running its course, including Devil's Night 2022,
AND Sally revealing that she just wanted to kill herself a soulmate, getting depressed, then becoming an Instagram star,
AND Liz running the fashion business, loving her family (who just reappear), then dying,
AND John returning to the hotel, shoving his saintly daughter (who just reappeared) offscreen yet again, and getting killed by police.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

spoon0042 posted:

"a jawline for days" did I hear that right?

It's a callback to when she turned Donovan. I also appreciated Billie Dean's line that seemed to be a little nod to her visit to the Murder House. :)

Angela Christine posted:

Even though I guess she came around in the end, Queenie was the one that left the coven for a while and still didn't seem all that fond of them after she came back.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Kimmalah posted:

Even though I guess she came around in the end, Queenie was the one that left the coven for a while and still didn't seem all that fond of them after she came back.

Yeah, but by the last episode it is 2022 and she's been missing for 6 or 7 years. I'm not saying they ignored her disappearance because she's black and sassy, but . . .

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
I think you honestly could have pared this season in half and you'd get roughly the same thing. They certainly held our attention, which I'll give them credit for considering I wondered how they could stretch this so long, but a lot of what happened was editable.

For starters, you could cut out the Lowes entirely. It was never really a secret that John was the killer, and the killings themselves were often just quick cuts to random people, that needed explaining on who they were so it would fit in with the theme. John's presence mostly served to keep us in the hotel, which you could easily do with the rest of the cast, and Alex was always annoying, looking terrible next to characters like Countess and Liz and even Iris at times.

They tried to play off the big family angle they did in Murder House, with Holden being missing and the whole idea of your "one true love," but much like with Iris & Donno, and Gaga & random cleft baby, it all just fizzled out. Indeed, that was the worst part about the Lowes, every major climax we should have had in their dramatic lives ... simply wasn't. When John, deep in the killing habit, and Alex, having sold her soul to the Countess, confronted each other and calmly agreed that they both sucked, I knew we had wasted a whole ton of time on them. The finale, where they try to lead a normal life but actually don't and go straight back to the Cortez and are a-ok with John being a murderer beyond their sustenance, all explained in the span of two minutes, pretty much asserts my point here.

Ramona, you could have cut, since she didn't really do a whole lot except not kill Gaga after all. Drake, maybe not so much due to Gaga's goofy money scheme at least, but certainly his kid. Valentino and Rambova, for the most part, you could have cut, even if it did explain Gaga's obsession. If you're gonna cut John, you might as well cut Sally, though she could have been a lot more interesting for more of the time as a general ghost.

I realize I'm knocking most of the show here, but I guess what I'm getting at, put simply, is that the relationships between the ghosts in the hotel and the unlikely duo of Liz & Iris could have pushed this season over the top. The framing device they chose, the Ten Commandments Killer, was poor. An ok idea executed poorly. We never got invested enough in John's plight because he didn't really have one, between his kid quickly reappearing, his wife quickly resolving to a vampiric life, and the god awful revelation that he was the murderer (which honestly could have been amazing if it was a double twist and he was not.)

That's AHS for you I guess: a lot of ok ideas executed poorly.

Also, the only cameo I thought was fair was Marcy. Queenie's was completely unnecessary and only made them look even stupider. And Billie Dean Howard felt a little too forced right at the end.

OmegaBR fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 15, 2016

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The horror is the plot.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Angela Christine posted:

Yeah, but by the last episode it is 2022 and she's been missing for 6 or 7 years. I'm not saying they ignored her disappearance because she's black and sassy, but . . .

I guess it's always possible that someone did come looking for her in the ensuing years and I'm sure Liz just came up with some cover story because she did basically everything else in this episode. It wasn't mentioned because she's a character from Coven and even the writers don't care I guess?

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Maybe the Supreme sent Queenie to the Hotel because she was sick of her?

Meanwhile, I really enjoyed the finale. In fact, I really loved this season. It's on par with Murderhouse for me. Asylum is still #1.

Sally becoming an internet addict was hilarious. Iris & Liz fixing up the hotel was more successful than I thought it would be (Apart from the murders).

The only thing I wanted more details on was the white demon thing.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Andrew_1985 posted:

The only thing I wanted more details on was the white demon thing.

It was an alien.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The Thatcher School will probably be the premise behind next season so I wonder how Murphy will work sex scenes into every episode

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

The addiction demon was probably intentionally left vague but all it really did was assfuck Schmidt to death and then pop up behind people for a split second. Kind of dumb and unnecessary, imo

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Duke posted:

The addiction demon was probably intentionally left vague but all it really did was assfuck Schmidt to death and then pop up behind people for a split second. Kind of dumb and unnecessary, imo

I assume that, like Asylum's aliens, it's just there to show that there is more weird incomprehensible poo poo in the world. The unknown is scarier than things we understand, so lets just toss in a few random unexplained things. :downs:

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Tenzarin posted:

The horror is the plot.

So you're saying this season had no plot?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

What was up with Gaga's baby? When she went for the abortion she claimed she was three weeks pregnant, but the baby was already full size and able to kill a nurse. And then it didn't grow at all once it was out. Can vampires get pregnant? Did she get pregnant before becoming a vampire and the process of becoming a vampire had a weird side effect on her unknown fetus? Was the baby a vampire too?

:iiam:

RugClockVexx
Aug 15, 2008

Angela Christine posted:

What was up with Gaga's baby? When she went for the abortion she claimed she was three weeks pregnant, but the baby was already full size and able to kill a nurse. And then it didn't grow at all once it was out. Can vampires get pregnant? Did she get pregnant before becoming a vampire and the process of becoming a vampire had a weird side effect on her unknown fetus? Was the baby a vampire too?

But it is in the not knowing where the true horror lies!

Perhaps lil Barty went to that wayward school for wayward children everyone's talking about, "Chekhovs School for Gifted Youngsters." The finale was like a rejected pilot for a spinoff. It felt very much like Freak Show's finale in the epilogue-y-ness of it all. Having said that, I was surprised that I enjoyed it as much as I did. If they do go to school next season does anybody know if they said where its located? LA again? Or was it an old money school on the east coast (hopefully near the old asylum)?

ed I'm thinking she was pregnant, was turned, then got a super late term abortion. At that point baby was a vampy and just gots to kill. Ryan Murphy knows nothing about aborting late term vampire babies so it all came across as clunky and ill conceived.

RugClockVexx fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 15, 2016

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The horror is that some of us have watched all 5 seasons of this.

Lol at social media being the cure for murderghost depression though

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Twitter: literally powerful enough to stop #heroin and #murder

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Doltos posted:

The Thatcher School will probably be the premise behind next season so I wonder how Murphy will work sex scenes into every episode

Faculty. That plus 18-and-looks.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
"Hey Scarlet you coming to the Halloween party?"

"No I gotta visit my dad because his ghost only returns once a year to have dinner with other serial killers"

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Doltos posted:

"Hey Scarlet you coming to the Halloween party?"

"No I gotta visit my dad because his ghost only returns once a year to have dinner with other serial killers"

To be fair that's a pretty good excuse.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

haveblue posted:

Only Tumblr can truly understand my pain.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Who needs heroin when you have a smartphone.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Doltos posted:

Shows like Hex didn't seem to have much trouble incorporating sex into a boarding school setting, but then again that wasn't American TV.

Angela Christine posted:

She met Valentino in 1925, apparently faked his death in August 1926, turned her sometime after that and she had the abortion also sometime in 1926. So it's unclear, but there's obviously some weirdness going with the baby and "ancient blood virus" is the explanation for all things this season.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
So, admit it: How many of you searched for Sally's profile on facebook/instagram/twitter during or after the finale?

Overall a much stronger season than the last two. Great actors really giving it their all, despite the script's many flaws. I'm glad that most of the main cast got away from their type casting (except Ramona basically being the same character as the voodoo queen), and Gaga surpassed all my expectations.
Just like after last season, my biggest wish for this series is that Ryan Murphy is too busy with his other shows and hands off the reigns to someone who knows how to write character and story arcs. Writing a horror story that spans about 10 hours is a very difficult task, and it would be cool to see someone try to actually build some suspense instead of just adding more colorful characters, celebrity cameos and sequins every time there's a lull in the story.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

haveblue posted:

In the end, the internet is the real addiction! Beware, America, of this cautionary tale!

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

kjetting posted:

So, admit it: How many of you searched for Sally's profile on facebook/instagram/twitter during or after the finale?

It exists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

OmegaBR posted:

his wife quickly resolving to a vampiric life

And I've forgotten why she got vamped in the first place. Was it some dumb "here's how you can be with your son" thing?

• Locked thread