Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ShineDog posted:

So I uh, popped the lasers off my YT 2400 to paint it for the star wars RPG campaign and I kinda lost them, possibly to a hoover.

Any idea for cool replacements that would not require any real talent to apply?

Googly eyes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

The Gate posted:

I dunno if I'd say lesser, and the Ion does damage. The Tractor beam also can't drag around large based ships at all, so it's even less effective against those, where at least an Ion has the threat of making them drift after 2 hits.

Edit: The worst X-Wing player we have locally is a guy who is just warhammy as gently caress. He's terrible and builds awful lists, insists they're brilliant, and then complains incessantly when they lose. If he watches you play, he will constantly give "advice" that is either wrong or a terrible idea with what's going on on the board. He's also that dude that says something sideways and then if you call him on it just goes "I was only joking man come on lighten up!"

Also he actually thinks the prequels are good, so he's basically human garbage. :v:

I've watched this guy cheat in co-op games, lol

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

kingcom posted:

It's more they've just straight out said a lot of them aren't really big fans of that period so they've gone and designed stuff they've enjoyed. They rotate teams around as new staff comes on board and ultimately I wouldn't be surprise to see some come on who wants to pull a ship or two to reshape the meta or set up something new. Honestly going into that set for Scum & Villainy ships seems a good way to slip them in over time.

The prequel expansions for the Decipher CCG were the worst thing they ever sold for that game. The prequel starfighter games are empty and hollow-feeling compared to the glorious X-wing series. It's probably not impossible to create some expansions for X-wing from the prequels that don't totally suck, but since the source material is so shoddy, it's a lot of effort, and yeah, I bet there are a lot of people that will skip it just because it's the prequels.

And with a whole slate of yearly new movies, they will have a lot of new material to mine before they ever have to even think about going to the prequel well. Plus, it makes a lot more sense to capitalize on the new & shiny while the new movies are coming out and making billions.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
They should just do Rogue Squadron 2 as an expansion.

By that I mean add Snow Speeders and the Buick

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The Gate posted:

I dunno if I'd say lesser, and the Ion does damage. The Tractor beam also can't drag around large based ships at all, so it's even less effective against those, where at least an Ion has the threat of making them drift after 2 hits.

Edit: The worst X-Wing player we have locally is a guy who is just warhammy as gently caress. He's terrible and builds awful lists, insists they're brilliant, and then complains incessantly when they lose. If he watches you play, he will constantly give "advice" that is either wrong or a terrible idea with what's going on on the board. He's also that dude that says something sideways and then if you call him on it just goes "I was only joking man come on lighten up!"

Also he actually thinks the prequels are good, so he's basically human garbage. :v:

At a tournament last month, I got in a discussion with two other guys during lunch and we all came to the conclusion that K-wings do not have a 3 hard. Then later those two guys played each other and the one with a K-wing kept doing 3 hards and wouldn't let the other guy see his dial. gently caress him, he's obnoxious anyway so I just won't play him.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Speaking of lovely people to play with, what do you do in the case of say a tournament with a player playing loose and bumping poo poo then a really close measurement for range or arcs comes up and you disagree? Is there a judge, and if so, is there any way of pointing out that the other guy bumping poo poo led to the current situation or something? It seems like a really hard game to moderate and ruined by sloppy players or people that do it for an edge.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
WAAC now stands for Wangs At All Costs and describes our crippling addiction to buying tiny plastic spaceships to pew pew pew at one another.

Also the discussion of tractor beams and their requirements (high ps, cheap ship) made me think of running something like this:

Serissu (20)
Adaptability (+1) (0)
Tractor Beam (1)
Stealth Device (3)
"Heavy Scyk" Interceptor (Cannon) (2)

Binayre Pirate (12)

Binayre Pirate (12)

Binayre Pirate (12)

Total: 62

Leaving 38 points to fill with hard hitter to taste (zuckuss with 4lom, xizor, talonbane, dengar)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The K Wing is such a mess of a design. It looks more like a GI Joe plane than a starfighter.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

The K Wing is such a mess of a design. It looks more like a GI Joe plane than a starfighter.

There's a K-Wing concept design that one artist came up with that is in The Art of Star Wars: TFA book and even though it's essentially the same overall design flipped upside down it actually looked so much better IMO.

Slow Edit: Here's what I'm talking about...

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 15, 2016

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Bottom Liner posted:

Speaking of lovely people to play with, what do you do in the case of say a tournament with a player playing loose and bumping poo poo then a really close measurement for range or arcs comes up and you disagree? Is there a judge, and if so, is there any way of pointing out that the other guy bumping poo poo led to the current situation or something? It seems like a really hard game to moderate and ruined by sloppy players or people that do it for an edge.

I get overly helpful.

"Hey buddy, you alright? You look kinda shaky, how about I get that for you? No, it's no trouble, see? You're going left, yes? Great! That look solid to you? Wanna make sure you're good with this placement. A bit off? Okay, what about now? Great! Glad to help!"

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Note about the prequel stuff. Both named pilots for the yv-666 who aren't bossk are from the Clone Wars series.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Note about the prequel stuff. Both named pilots for the yv-666 who aren't bossk are from the Clone Wars series.

Clone Wars doesn't count as prequels, or what I like to call p-canon.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

I get overly helpful.

"Hey buddy, you alright? You look kinda shaky, how about I get that for you? No, it's no trouble, see? You're going left, yes? Great! That look solid to you? Wanna make sure you're good with this placement. A bit off? Okay, what about now? Great! Glad to help!"

While I would love to troll like that, in a tourny I would hesitate adjusting someone else's ships and stuff because I feel like it would only exacerbate the issue or cause an argument. What are the official rules and stuff for how that's all handled?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Bottom Liner posted:

While I would love to troll like that, in a tourny I would hesitate adjusting someone else's ships and stuff because I feel like it would only exacerbate the issue or cause an argument. What are the official rules and stuff for how that's all handled?

There's actually a bit in the tourney rules about minor bumps and whatnot.

Tourney Rules Page 5 posted:

Margin of Error

ships are sometimes moved accidentally or placed inexactly during the normal
course of the game.

a small margin of error is allowed in the position and
orientation of ships in these situations so that the pace of the game is not
unnecessarily affected.

players should not abuse this margin of error, and
they must use the tools included with the game to be as accurate as possible.
Using excessive force when placing components to intentionally move other
components is expressly forbidden.

in the event of a dispute, the head judge is
the final authority on rulings

Basically, call the judge over if someone is excessively moving poo poo.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Rules/timing question: can Red Ace spend the evade he gains from his pilot skill immediately? Like, if I take take two damage and lose a shield, can I gain the evade from the first shield loss and then use the evade to cancel the second hit? I can easily see arguments for it both ways, really.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

enigmahfc posted:

Rules/timing question: can Red Ace spend the evade he gains from his pilot skill immediately? Like, if I take take two damage and lose a shield, can I gain the evade from the first shield loss and then use the evade to cancel the second hit? I can easily see arguments for it both ways, really.

You don't remove shields or take damage until after all tokens are spent, so no, you can't use it immediately.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

The Gate posted:

I think I know who you're talking about, which is sad, because he is sometimes is friendly and tried to be welcoming. Sometimes the community feels pretty insular. But... yeah, the advice he's given me is "meh."

Also glad to see all the "Red Ace" love.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

ConfusedUs posted:

You don't remove shields or take damage until after all tokens are spent, so no, you can't use it immediately.

That makes so much sense it's almost as if I should have known that....

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I made a gimmick list.

100 points

Keyan Farlander [Fire-Control System, Tractor beam, Veteran Instincts, B-Wing/E2, Tactician] (36)
Wes Janson [R3-A2, Veteran Instincts, Integrated Astromech] (32)
Wedge Antilles [R2 Astromech, Lone Wolf, Integrated Astromech] (32)

Wes strips a token and gives a stress, Keyan gives a tractor beam token and potentially another stress, then Wedge does his thing. It is absolutely a terrible terrible plan but it would be fun to throw at a large ship.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

At a tournament last month, I got in a discussion with two other guys during lunch and we all came to the conclusion that K-wings do not have a 3 hard. Then later those two guys played each other and the one with a K-wing kept doing 3 hards and wouldn't let the other guy see his dial. gently caress him, he's obnoxious anyway so I just won't play him.

What do you mean wont let you see what his dial. Thats the most fundamental mechanic :psyduck: Thats like saying you cant see his pilot card and just trust that its got 6 red dice.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

kingcom posted:

What do you mean wont let you see what his dial. Thats the most fundamental mechanic :psyduck: Thats like saying you cant see his pilot card and just trust that its got 6 red dice.

Yeah he is super shifty. Kept telling the other guy they didn't have time to keep checking dials and poo poo. Being an rear end in a top hat to a real nice guy who didn't want to say anything about it, which is unfortunate because the tournament was all the usual league guys plus the rear end in a top hat so he definitely should have said something.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The K-Wing does not have a 3-Hard. That guy was straight up cheating.

Dials are public knowledge. Not the move that you chose, but what's on them. Players can bring references, or ask to see the dial. At any time.

Dickbag tries it again, you should bring it up with the judge.

Edit: Wait, how was he doing a 3-Hard without revealing one? Or was he revealing 3-hards? If so, he totally put together fake dials. Jesus christ that's shady.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

Dials are public knowledge. Not the move that you chose, but what's on them. Players can bring references, or ask to see the dial. At any time.

Edit: Wait, how was he doing a 3-Hard without revealing one? Or was he revealing 3-hards? If so, he totally put together fake dials. Jesus christ that's shady.

BRB putting hard 1 greens on all my ships.

AnxiousApatosaurus
Sep 2, 2004

Stylist
So like many other goons here I got a core set for Christmas and I've fallen in love. I've played a few games with family but nobody I know plays it so I have yet to actually play against someone who's familiar with the game. However, there's a tournament not too far from where I live in a few weeks so I was thinking of cobbling together a squad from the ships I've picked up over the past few weeks:

Soontir Fel (27)
Push the Limit (3)
Shield Upgrade (4)
Targeting Computer (2)
Royal Guard TIE (0)

"Whisper" (32)
Advanced Cloaking Device (4)

"Omega Leader" (21)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)
Targeting Computer (2)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

I know Fel is best with autothrusters, but I'm trying to keep this on a budget (likely hopeless I know) so no Starvipers for me. I don't really have much of a strategy here other than just trying to roll with three strong pieces on the board. I don't really have any idea what I'm doing so I'm not sure if this is a good build or not. Any goon advice will be much appreciated.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

Sorry, he was SLAMing, I forgot to mention that important part. He would only 3 Hard on a SLAM. I hope to not play him in a tournament but I will absolutely keep my phone on me with his list put in if I have to. He definitely wouldn't be been able to get away with 3 Hards if I had played.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

AnxiousApatosaurus posted:

So like many other goons here I got a core set for Christmas and I've fallen in love. I've played a few games with family but nobody I know plays it so I have yet to actually play against someone who's familiar with the game. However, there's a tournament not too far from where I live in a few weeks so I was thinking of cobbling together a squad from the ships I've picked up over the past few weeks:

Soontir Fel (27)
Push the Limit (3)
Shield Upgrade (4)
Targeting Computer (2)
Royal Guard TIE (0)

"Whisper" (32)
Advanced Cloaking Device (4)

"Omega Leader" (21)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)
Targeting Computer (2)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

I know Fel is best with autothrusters, but I'm trying to keep this on a budget (likely hopeless I know) so no Starvipers for me. I don't really have much of a strategy here other than just trying to roll with three strong pieces on the board. I don't really have any idea what I'm doing so I'm not sure if this is a good build or not. Any goon advice will be much appreciated.

Targeting Computer is useless on O'Leader, because he already has a target lock action.

Whisper really needs Veteran Instincts. If you have a Fire Control System, that's great on him too.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Sorry, he was SLAMing, I forgot to mention that important part. He would only 3 Hard on a SLAM. I hope to not play him in a tournament but I will absolutely keep my phone on me with his list put in if I have to. He definitely wouldn't be been able to get away with 3 Hards if I had played.

Technically, you have to select a maneuver on the dial on a SLAM.

What a cheater. Why are people so lovely for such dumb reasons?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Cheating at X-Wing, Jesus.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The winner of the tournament (thankfully not him) either got an Epic ship or a gift card big enough to buy an Epic ship. I think he got 2nd place.

ConfusedUs posted:

Technically, you have to select a maneuver on the dial on a SLAM.

What a cheater. Why are people so lovely for such dumb reasons?

Yeah, he would tell the other guy not to waste time when he wanted to check the K-wing dial to see if a 3 Hard even existed.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Report the fucker and make the store suspend his participation in tourneys for a while.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Taking another stab at a swarm list. I appreciate the criticism and suggestions! Note that I've only played two practice "games" and haven't built a list proper of my own yet.

Howlrunner
Swarm Tactics

Youngster
Marksmanship

Omega Squadron Pilotx3
Predatorx3

98/100. I guess the idea would be trying to ensure damage through re-rolling dice a lot. I haven't had a chance to actually test this, but at a glance how does it look?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

TheHoosier posted:

Taking another stab at a swarm list. I appreciate the criticism and suggestions! Note that I've only played two practice "games" and haven't built a list proper of my own yet.

Howlrunner
Swarm Tactics

Youngster
Marksmanship

Omega Squadron Pilotx3
Predatorx3

98/100. I guess the idea would be trying to ensure damage through re-rolling dice a lot. I haven't had a chance to actually test this, but at a glance how does it look?

Howl and Predator are redundant. You can't re-roll the same die twice.

Take another Omega with Predator because Howl is doing you no good here.

You're not quite guaranteed two hits (with one of those likely to be hit) with a reroll and marksmanship.

Your defense is going to suck though. Focus is great to use defensively, and you lose that if you're taking Marksmanship. Expect to lose at least one TIE every round.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The winner of the tournament (thankfully not him) either got an Epic ship or a gift card big enough to buy an Epic ship. I think he got 2nd place.

Yeah, he would tell the other guy not to waste time when he wanted to check the K-wing dial to see if a 3 Hard even existed.

Holy gently caress that's awful. I am playing in a tournament tonight specifically because last time I played all the people I played against were so cool.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

ConfusedUs posted:

Take another Omega with Predator because Howl is doing you no good here.

You're not quite guaranteed two hits (with one of those likely to be hit) with a reroll and marksmanship.

Your defense is going to suck though. Focus is great to use defensively, and you lose that if you're taking Marksmanship. Expect to lose at least one TIE every round.

Noted, I thought about that. Figured I was sacrificing survivability here. What should I do?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

TheHoosier posted:

Noted, I thought about that. Figured I was sacrificing survivability here. What should I do?

My suggestion is drop Predator from your Omegas and give them Crackshot, which should save you six points overall. You could use that to upgrade your fighters to some of the aces. You'll get the rerolls from Howlrunner, marksmanship from Youngster, and be able to cancel evade dice to land that crit more reliably.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

ConfusedUs posted:

But you can reroll one die with predator and another with howlrunner, can't you?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Strobe posted:

My suggestion is drop Predator from your Omegas and give them Crackshot, which should save you six points overall. You could use that to upgrade your fighters to some of the aces. You'll get the rerolls from Howlrunner, marksmanship from Youngster, and be able to cancel evade dice to land that crit more reliably.

Thank ya kindly. I had a draft with aces in it; might go back to that

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Does anyone else snap their fingers loudly when using the Crack Shot ability?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Oh man, what a poo poo bag. You can literally load up a ships movement options on your phone as reference or do like ConfusedUs said and check dials after they're revealed at anytime, especially during tournament games. Dude must have the most minimal life of anybody ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Chemmy posted:

But you can reroll one die with predator and another with howlrunner, can't you?

You can, but it's largely pointless. You've got a 75% chance on each die to roll a hit or focus, and with one reroll you bump your average numbers of hits to nearly 1.75 on two dice. Another reroll only pushes that up to 1.825 (I think that's the right fraction?). It's not generally worth the points spent on Predator.

• Locked thread