Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

NJ Deac posted:

I receive a train wreck of a final rejection. In response, I submit an after-final response arguing each of the independent claims along with separate arguments for 8 different dependent claims.

The Advisory Actions states: "Because Applicant's arguments regarding the independent claims have been found unpersuasive, Applicant's arguments directed to the dependent claims are also found unpersuasive due to their dependency on the independent claims."

I file a pre-appeal conference request, because that is some bullshit.

Result? Proceed to the PTAB.

It must be nice to be able to do your job without any oversight or accountability.

next time call their SPE or the director to complain too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Today I had the misfortune of talking to a corporate lawyer and he was going on about how great technology and a networked paperless office are, because it lets him do work while on vacation before his wife wakes up or after she's asleep.

I gazed into the face of a true sociopath, and it wasn't the murderer I met minutes after.

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

evilweasel posted:

I don't get what's unreasonable about that - if the dependent claims rely on the independent claims, and the independent claims are rejected, why would you consider the arguments about the dependent claims?

As WJ noted, dependent claims can contain allowable subject matter even if the claims from which they depend do not.

Example:

quote:

Independent Claim - An apparatus comprising A, B, and C.

Dependent Claim - The apparatus of the independent claim, further comprising D.

In order to reject the independent claim, the examiner has to find A, B, and C.

In order to reject the dependent claim, he has to find A, B, C, and D.

My arguments were: Hey, you don't have C., and even if you did have C, you sure as poo poo don't have D, E, F, G, H, I, J, or K as recited in my dependent claims.

His response: I disagree - I have A, B, and C, therefore, suck my dick.

I then requested a review by two other examiners in the art unit (pre-appeal conference).

The response was essentially "Well, we're not allowing anything in our art unit anyway due to Alice, so we agree that you should suck his dick. Take it to the Patent Trial and Appeal Board and spend thousands of your clients dollars along with a 3 year delay if you disagree".

Best part? I currently have over a half dozen cases with this examiner.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

That makes sense, thanks.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

NJ Deac posted:

As WJ noted, dependent claims can contain allowable subject matter even if the claims from which they depend do not.

Example:

In order to reject the independent claim, the examiner has to find A, B, and C.

In order to reject the dependent claim, he has to find A, B, C, and D.

My arguments were: Hey, you don't have C., and even if you did have C, you sure as poo poo don't have D, E, F, G, H, I, J, or K as recited in my dependent claims.

His response: I disagree - I have A, B, and C, therefore, suck my dick.

I then requested a review by two other examiners in the art unit (pre-appeal conference).

The response was essentially "Well, we're not allowing anything in our art unit anyway due to Alice, so we agree that you should suck his dick. Take it to the Patent Trial and Appeal Board and spend thousands of your clients dollars along with a 3 year delay if you disagree".

Best part? I currently have over a half dozen cases with this examiner.

they do have another review when you actually file the brief, which is why they moved the big fee from filing the brief to heading to the board, right?

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

they do have another review when you actually file the brief, which is why they moved the big fee from filing the brief to heading to the board, right?

Correct - he now prepares an answer to my brief. If his answer doesn't pass the laugh test before his SPE/whoever else they get to review (likely the same ones who signed off on the pre-appeal), then they might make him reopen prosecution to fix the deficient rejections and issue a new office action (probably just as bad as the last one). That potentially saves my client the $2,000 appeal forwarding fee on this go-round, but that's about it.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

NJ Deac posted:

Correct - he now prepares an answer to my brief. If his answer doesn't pass the laugh test before his SPE/whoever else they get to review (likely the same ones who signed off on the pre-appeal), then they might make him reopen prosecution to fix the deficient rejections and issue a new office action (probably just as bad as the last one). That potentially saves my client the $2,000 appeal forwarding fee on this go-round, but that's about it.

should be non-final, at least

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Not this poo poo again

e. I'm only kidding

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
All I hear is the teacher from Peanuts.
(but then again, I'm forced to wear pants)

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Today I had the misfortune of talking to a corporate lawyer and he was going on about how great technology and a networked paperless office are, because it lets him do work while on vacation before his wife wakes up or after she's asleep.

Cannot tell you how many times I've had colleagues tell me similar stories, unironically and with giddy happiness. I remember one guy in particular explaining how he managed to handle all of the paper work for a major M&A deal while in California for his daughter's wedding. He was incredibly excited that he could sit in the hotel room and send emails and take calls all day, yet still fulfill all of his daughter's wishes for a happy life by showing up for the minimum 27 minutes actually demanded by the wedding ceremony itself.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
One could say on balance, it possible to stay in balance: https://youtu.be/XgSJUzYCGtc

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Omerta posted:

One could say on balance, it possible to stay in balance: https://youtu.be/XgSJUzYCGtc

These people are masochistic sociopaths.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Omerta posted:

How did they let this get released holy poo poo.

"I get to eat dinner with my family! That's balanced to me!" :laffo:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Omerta posted:

Lol holy poo poo

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Lol holy poo poo

Ha. I know that first dude.

I mean... If you're looking at Kirkland you already know you're going to work 16 hours a day, so I guess they might as well sell that you can do the work at home?

(First guy? Not at Kirkland anymore.)

Kalman fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jan 15, 2016

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

SlyFrog posted:

Cannot tell you how many times I've had colleagues tell me similar stories, unironically and with giddy happiness. I remember one guy in particular explaining how he managed to handle all of the paper work for a major M&A deal while in California for his daughter's wedding. He was incredibly excited that he could sit in the hotel room and send emails and take calls all day, yet still fulfill all of his daughter's wishes for a happy life by showing up for the minimum 27 minutes actually demanded by the wedding ceremony itself.

They're rolling out all this flexible working with iPads and whatnot at my office too. I say thanks for the shiny devices and still refuse to answer my phone or look at my emails after hours unless I'm doing a trial or something. Family and a social life are way more important, but I guess that's why I'm not a corporate lawyer. All the gadgets are useful when in court or travelling for work though or for working from home during the day if you have to for whatever reason.

My boss, on the other hand, likes answering emails at 11pm at night.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I have a natural lull at the end of the day, during which I feel the crushing, inexorable dread of falling behind my colleagues on the mouse wheel...thank god I can fill that hole in my heart with busy work once those other people in my house finally get out of my hair.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

To be fair, K&E is notorious even among biglaw for working its associates to death.

But a disturbing number of graduates from my school are heading to NY/Chicago biglaw and know that's roughly what they're getting into.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I gazed into the face of a true sociopath, and it wasn't the murderer I met minutes after.
I'm a corporate lawyer (i.e., true sociopath) and I don't really get why this is terrible? Sending emails for a couple hours a day on vacation seems a lot better than skipping the vacation altogether.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Ani posted:

I'm a corporate lawyer (i.e., true sociopath) and I don't really get why this is terrible? Sending emails for a couple hours a day on vacation seems a lot better than skipping the vacation altogether.

You don't have to get excited about it though.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm in front of a judge who won't let me dismiss my case voluntarily without prejudice (no other issues exist ) and she has to review the file for some unspecified purpose???

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Uh, Non-suit is effective the moment its filed, w/o prejudice, whether the judge signs the order or not, here in my Great State.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I appreciate the ability to respond to very minor requests while I'm on vacation because then other people will do the same (like, stuff you can answer off the cuff in 30s but would take someone else a while to figure out, like "which one of these spreadsheets has the right numbers again?") but short of a genuine emergency gently caress working on vacation. If your case is well-run enough and you gave some notice of your vacation people should be able to work around it and my firm is actually pretty good about doing that.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

blarzgh posted:

Uh, Non-suit is effective the moment its filed, w/o prejudice, whether the judge signs the order or not, here in my Great State.

She keeps saying it's unfair that we could bring the defendant back into court and I'm like uh can't we do that in a new case too what the gently caress

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mastershakeman posted:

She keeps saying it's unfair that we could bring the defendant back into court and I'm like uh can't we do that in a new case too what the gently caress

That seems reasonable to me, actually. Since if there's an adverse decision on you in a case it will be binding on any future cases, it's reasonable for a judge to review an attempt to dismiss the case without prejudice to ensure there's no gamesmanship. It's only dismissing it with prejudice that should require no review by the judge.

edit: This is especially true when it's a sophisticated party bringing the suit against an unsophisticated party, which is what your practice pretty much falls into. By putting it on the sophisticated party to get it right the first time, you can cut down on monkey business.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
It's the absolute right of pltf to dismiss without prejudice. Def actually had counsel who acknowledged his counterclaim had been dismissed with prej and no issues remained.

Of course I lost and she "exercised her discretion" to do it with prej. It's reversible error but hey that's why we make sure to not have any audio recordings of the judges here.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Ani posted:

I agree. Being burned with cigarettes is much better than a pipe wrench to the face and a broken orbital. Some call him a child abuser, but I say Dad was really looking out for me.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

No court reporter?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

No court reporter?

Ha. Bring one of those, the judge will look at them and shockingly decide to issue a ruling in writing. And those rulings take months if not years to get

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

mastershakeman posted:

It's the absolute right of pltf to dismiss without prejudice. Def actually had counsel who acknowledged his counterclaim had been dismissed with prej and no issues remained.

Of course I lost and she "exercised her discretion" to do it with prej. It's reversible error but hey that's why we make sure to not have any audio recordings of the judges here.

Counter-point: You are the plaintiff, you filed the case, it wasn't a surprise to you, either try the drat thing or leave the Defendant alone.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mastershakeman posted:

if it's the absolute right of a plaintiff to dismiss without prejudice that is a dumb rule, and it seems entirely reasonable to me that you have an absolute right to dismiss the case but the judge is entirely free to say gently caress you, it's dismissed with prejudice

because what you're saying would be such a dumb rule I seriously doubt it's the actual rule and this really sounds like a completely reasonable ruling and the only case it would not be a reasonable ruling is if the underlying rule is dumb as hell

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

evilweasel posted:

because what you're saying would be such a dumb rule I seriously doubt it's the actual rule and this really sounds like a completely reasonable ruling and the only case it would not be a reasonable ruling is if the underlying rule is dumb as hell

In Texas a non-suit is automatic and immediate and the signing of an Order of Non-Suit is "ministerial" in nature.

\/\/\/\/\/ In Texas a non-suit cannot be denied. Creditors file thousands of lawsuits, default the pro se who don't answer and then non-suit the case 30 seconds prior to trial if the other side has an attorney. Repeat until debtor can't afford attorney.

Roger_Mudd fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 15, 2016

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

The Court certainly has the right to deny a dismissal without prejudice if the defendant objects but I don't see where they get the discretion to dismiss a case with prejudice based on a plaintiff's request to do what is fundamentally the exact opposite.

Roger_Mudd posted:

Counter-point: You are the plaintiff, you filed the case, it wasn't a surprise to you, either try the drat thing or leave the Defendant alone.

Simply denying a motion to dismiss with prejudice puts the plaintiff in exactly this position.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Edit: beaten.

Roger_Mudd posted:

In Texas a non-suit is automatic and immediate and the signing of an Order of Non-Suit is "ministerial" in nature.

\/\/\/\/\/ In Texas a non-suit cannot be denied. Creditors file thousands of lawsuits, default the pro se who don't answer and then non-suit the case 30 seconds prior to trial if the other side has an attorney. Repeat until debtor can't afford attorney.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Roger_Mudd posted:

Sounds like a rule that's dumb as hell!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Roger_Mudd posted:

I actually wonder what the judge would've done if i said fine, dismissed the defendant that moved out, then went to jury trial against unknown occupants. Judge probably would've just transferred it to another courtroom so as to avoid dealing with it.
Once again, jury trials are idiotic to allow for these types of civil cases.

The better part about the 'rule being dumb' is as follows: if someone is squatting in your property, every day is a new cause of action. So any dismissal with prejudice has no res judicata effect and is completely pointless!

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Roger_Mudd posted:

I'm sure there's a German word for those moments when you realize the civil system is just as broken as the criminal one.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

Meander posted:

Having just read through the OP, I am very glad to have become a lawyer in New Zealand rather than the US. We have only a handful of law schools, most of which are ok, and while the first job is still difficult to get it's not quite the soul-crushing pit of despair that the OP demonstrates for the US. Plus our "bar exam" is a course that can be done online, with a few short exams.

I have two pressing questions for US lawgoons - do you ever have to wear wigs and gowns in court? And do all your judges really have gavels like on TV?

NZ is a gavel-free society (maybe auctioneers use them, idk), wigs only for admission ceremonies, and gowns only for High Court and above or District Court jury trials.

Hello fellow enrolled barrister and solicitor of the HC of NZ- and congratulations on gaining a New Zealand practising certificate ;D. We probably know lots of people 1 or 2 connections away.

I am now in the USA and at the beginning end of a long trudge of getting my NZ credentials recognised to allow me to file for the bar exam in Georgia. Will be lots of study and aggro but well I am trying my best not go back to law school again. Ill let you/ this thread know how that goes in a few months, also if I am still alive

Jacobin fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 15, 2016

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
In other news I love how it's acceptable in court for the hot female attorneys to wear yoga pants with a sweater or jacket that doesn't cover their behind. I'm a pervert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

Jacobin posted:

Hello fellow enrolled barrister and solicitor of the HC of NZ- and congratulations on gaining a New Zealand practising certificate ;D. We probably know lots of people 1 or 2 connections away.

Thanks, have been practicing for several years now though, only just discovered this thread. All the best for Georgia, would be interested in hearing about how it goes.

Re: court dress - there is a rumour going around my area of practice that one lawyer once wore leather pants in the District Court.