Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
Akebono also had his first kickboxing (or video says shootboxing) bout in 10 years at the same event:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvQlgifw_Rk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
drat I knew Bob Sapp was big but I didn't realize he was almost as tall as Akebono

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Kikkoman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y8AuTLKXcI

So Baruto is an MMA fighter now, and this is his New Year's Eve fight.

He showed some real BJJ skills there, it's clear he's training seriously. If he gets a boxing coach and can somehow cut to 265, he might actually become a legit pro.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Didn't actually realize that it's already Hatsu Basho this weekend. Here's the banzuke: http://www.sumo.or.jp/en/honbasho/banzuke/

Yoshikaze first time at sekiwake, two wrestlers make their makuuchi debut (juryo champion last basho and in general comet newcomer Shodai at 12W, Kagayaki at the bottom 16E).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I feel bad for Akebono. No one should make Bob Sapp look relatively skilled twice. Did he really go into K-1/MMA because his failed restaurant venture ate all his money?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

And the Hatsu Basho is off!

Day 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAa37kiieDo

E: Ooh, royalty in attendance. They picked a helluva day to attend, too.

Shohozan - Terunofuji is my pick for MOTN, but it's a tough pick. Lots of good stuff today.

Hope Tokitenku can recover. :smith:

:lol: Henka in the rematch was loving brilliant.

Hoooly poo poo that was a close one for Hakuho.

anakha fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jan 10, 2016

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Some pretty good matches today.

That new guy Shodai looks pretty strong.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
So on Japanese TV there is a button on your controller marked "data". When you press this, a display on the TV will pop up with more information about the program or sometimes with interactive things. The NHK sumo broadcast just introduced an interactive section. The announcers will give quizes where you can answer from multiple choice and also polls. It's pretty cool! Anyway, one of the polls today was "What do you think needs to be done to make sumo more popular?" The choices were something like "Fan service" (I don't know what that would entail exactly) "More internationalization of the sport" (what I chose), and "A Japanese rikishi winning a yusho." 75% of people who responded said "A Japanese rikishi winning a yusho." LOL GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!

The 10 plus years of no Japanese people winning a yusho kind of says to me that the match fixing poo poo was really not THAT big of a thing in terms of deciding ranks. If they actually did use match fixing in that way, there would be Japanese yokozunas because I think a lot of people desperately want that. That American book that helped to expose match fixing makes discussing sumo with people I know pretty much impossible. Oh well.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

That was a great first day. Lots of awesome throws. Hakuho barely managing to dodge the edge was sick.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Here's Brodi's first match of 2016, while we're waiting for day 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w59DpdTtIbY

Hope he makes it to the top division one day. Seems promising!

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

MrSmokes posted:

Here's Brodi's first match of 2016, while we're waiting for day 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w59DpdTtIbY

Hope he makes it to the top division one day. Seems promising!

doesn't look like he has a ton of lower body strength yet but it took a while for oosunaarashi to develop that as well

he sure did get a favorable placement in sandanme this basho, wow

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
drat hakuho

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Dr.Radical posted:

"A Japanese rikishi winning a yusho." 75% of people who responded said "A Japanese rikishi winning a yusho." LOL GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!

Kisenosato is going to have one really good basho this year and win.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Day 2 is up! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axf7WiFbiU8

Might be the best first two days I've seen since I started following sumo. Usually the first 5+ are real snoozers.

I'm starting to think Aminishiki is an epic troll. Dashes the best Japanese chance for a yusho on day 15 in Kyushu with an evasive move, henkas the guy who is always the best Japanese shot at a yusho on day 1 of this basho, and yet doesn't try any funny business against the yokozunae or mid/lower maegashira.

Has anyone located Shohozan? Clearly this is an alien wearing a Shohozan skin.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I just watched Day 1 at the gym yesterday and noticed a lot of guys winding up with their back turned to their opponent or their foot raised high up off the ground. Their opponents, in turn, rarely took advantage of it like they should have. I don't know if the dohyo is slippery or if it's just first-day jitters. Actually, I've been going back and watching the basho from the first few pages of this thread, and I saw a lot of dramatic throws in the early days of that basho, too.

Edit: Nice to see Mitakeumi has his chonmage now.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jan 11, 2016

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Holy poo poo Shohouzan! Tossing a yokozuna like an absolute BEAST :black101:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I haven't been following the thread for very long so I don't know who any of these people are, but this is certainly the most entertaining sport I've ever watched. I love this thread, never stop posting about fat people throwing each other.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I tend to root for the guys whose names I feel I can kind of pronounce. The hardest thing to keep track of, I find, is actually all the kimarite, especially when they differentiate between, for example, "slap down" and "more-of-a-pull-than-a-slap down."

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
ryu is a tough sound for american palates but other than that most of the names are more or less phonetic when romanized. at least enough to get you close

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

I tend to root for the guys whose names I feel I can kind of pronounce. The hardest thing to keep track of, I find, is actually all the kimarite, especially when they differentiate between, for example, "slap down" and "more-of-a-pull-than-a-slap down."

So basically you want Myogiryu to makekoshi into retirement.

I still have trouble with a lot of the kimarite. I get a brief moment of "gently caress yeah!" when the correct kimarite for an uncommon finish pops in my head a second before it shows up on the screen. I think yori vs oshi comes quickly for most, followed by dashi vs taoshi, but the throws have a huge learning curve.

a false posted:

ryu is a tough sound for american palates but other than that most of the names are more or less phonetic when romanized. at least enough to get you close

Like many American kids, I grew up choosing RAI-yu over Ken.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Fryhtaning posted:

I still have trouble with a lot of the kimarite. I get a brief moment of "gently caress yeah!" when the correct kimarite for an uncommon finish pops in my head a second before it shows up on the screen. I think yori vs oshi comes quickly for most, followed by dashi vs taoshi, but the throws have a huge learning curve.
The most puzzling thing for me is that a lot of sumo kimarite are also techniques in other Japanese martial arts, wherein the basic principle of leverage is the same, but the technique is substantially different. (Mainly because "Do this, and you'll make a guy take three steps back" isn't a winning proposition in judo.)

Also, I've never seen the ref call a hiwaza. Even in a few cases where I've seen that the wrestlers weren't touching and one of them slipped, they call it hatakikomi or oshidashi.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Halloween Jack posted:

Also, I've never seen the ref call a hiwaza. Even in a few cases where I've seen that the wrestlers weren't touching and one of them slipped, they call it hatakikomi or oshidashi.

Sumo association probably wants its usage suppressed. "Our top wrestlers would never slip" etc etc

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Fryhtaning posted:

I'm starting to think Aminishiki is an epic troll. Dashes the best Japanese chance for a yusho on day 15 in Kyushu with an evasive move, henkas the guy who is always the best Japanese shot at a yusho on day 1 of this basho, and yet doesn't try any funny business against the yokozunae or mid/lower maegashira.

Maybe, but I reckon he knows exactly who he can henka and who he can't. Hakuho keeps his eyes open and is much too fast. I can't recall Kakuryu being henka'd recently. The Japanese ozekis tend to have their heads down at tachi-ai so are more prone. Always surprised Kotoshogiku isn't henka'd more.

Anyway, Shodai is looking to be off to a good start. Seems comfortable pulling moves right on the tawara.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

a false posted:

doesn't look like he has a ton of lower body strength yet but it took a while for oosunaarashi to develop that as well

he sure did get a favorable placement in sandanme this basho, wow

You know for a dude of his size and sport he does have pretty small quads hams and glutes.

What happens if someone slips on their frills before a ref has a chance to pick it up?

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 12, 2016

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Elissimpark posted:

Maybe, but I reckon he knows exactly who he can henka and who he can't. Hakuho keeps his eyes open and is much too fast. I can't recall Kakuryu being henka'd recently. The Japanese ozekis tend to have their heads down at tachi-ai so are more prone. Always surprised Kotoshogiku isn't henka'd more.

Anyway, Shodai is looking to be off to a good start. Seems comfortable pulling moves right on the tawara.

Yeah, I was just being snarky anyway. I'm always surprised how easily Kisenosato gets henka'd when he does, since he is probably the most balanced and fundamentally sound rikishi otherwise. Giku has had his share of being henka'd, and usually ends up in the parking lot before he realizes what happened.

Gibbo posted:

What happens if someone slips on their frills before a ref has a chance to pick it up?

The gyoji points towards the opponent's side of the ring and they record it as a win by hikiotoshi. :v:

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Day 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA_0QIRhOEc

:shrug:

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
aaaaaaminiiiiiiiishiiiiiikiiiiiii

Dr.Radical posted:

So on Japanese TV there is a button on your controller marked "data". When you press this, a display on the TV will pop up with more information about the program or sometimes with interactive things. The NHK sumo broadcast just introduced an interactive section. The announcers will give quizes where you can answer from multiple choice and also polls. It's pretty cool! Anyway, one of the polls today was "What do you think needs to be done to make sumo more popular?" The choices were something like "Fan service" (I don't know what that would entail exactly) "More internationalization of the sport" (what I chose), and "A Japanese rikishi winning a yusho." 75% of people who responded said "A Japanese rikishi winning a yusho." LOL GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!

The 10 plus years of no Japanese people winning a yusho kind of says to me that the match fixing poo poo was really not THAT big of a thing in terms of deciding ranks. If they actually did use match fixing in that way, there would be Japanese yokozunas because I think a lot of people desperately want that. That American book that helped to expose match fixing makes discussing sumo with people I know pretty much impossible. Oh well.

Sumo is pretty much at peak popularity right now anyway, pretty much they just need to keep doing what they're doing.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Eh, Aminishiki, Shohozan and Hakuho seem entertaining to watch, I'll root for them.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Not this tournament, Kisenosato fans

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Ha, no sooner do I raise the question of hiwaza than the gyoji calls a tsukihiza. I don't know what kimarite he could possibly have called since he slipped while pushing on his opponent's chest and his opponent didn't have a hand on him.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Day 5:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szjn7hlwzjU

Okinoumi was ROBBED

Too bad about Terunofuji. Hope he drops out and heals up properly so he can do way better in the next basho.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Takarafuji-Sokokurai easily wins MOTN.

Wonder if those people Aminishiki fell on saw their lives flash before their eyes.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

anakha posted:

Takarafuji-Sokokurai easily wins MOTN.

Wonder if those people Aminishiki fell on saw their lives flash before their eyes.

Match of the basho f'sho. Still a lot of sumo left to be played, though.

So happy for Ikioi to finally bust that first nut, although it wasn't technically a kinboshi

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Does anyone know of a sumo compilation video of rikishi falling into the crowd? This should be a thing if there is not. I am continually amazed that no one dies when one of them turns into a bowling ball.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I wish Takarafuji would be more aggressive. He's got power, he just rarely uses it. He should watch Harumafuji more closely.

And silly Tochinoshin - he looked like he had the Giku out for a Terunofuji-styles kimidashi, but decided to change grips and lost his momentum.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Kintamayama posted:

No less than three sekitori are out today due to injuries. Terunofuji (right collarbone fracture suffered during the day 4 bout against Aoiyama, his first kyujo ever) and Joukouryuu (right foot) - pretty obvious from watching yesterday's bouts, and Aminishiki (the flu, 3 days out, will probably return after two days max..).
OTOH, Chiyoootori who was injured on day 1 and dropped out, is back.
That makes 5 sekitori currently kyujo.

Well poo poo. Two of my favorites out. Terunofuji is the biggest bummer though.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 6: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF70hGmJSMM

Ikioi-Yoshikaze for MOTN!

Watching Endo's gradual flameout over the past couple of bashos has been kinda sad. He really needs to take time off for surgery/rehab, IMO.

I'm baffled by Ichinojo's lack of progression since that first makuuchi basho where he nearly won the whole thing. He looks to me to be exactly the same guy skill-wise since then. Is it a failure by his stable to train him up?

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Could be, his stable is him and 7 low level guys who probably can't give him any sort of meaningful competition during practice, and their coach never made it any higher than M2. The "one foreigner per stable" has led to situations like this, he'd probably move to a better one if he could.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
When Ichinojo entered makuuchi he was like ~195kg. If I remember the latest weigh in, he's nearing 220kg. Thats a 50 lb gain, which is ridiculous.
I've heard stories of some high rankers starting to skip practice a lot because they could, and if he's gaining weight at this rate he might be skipping a lot. Of course the extra weight can always be bad as well.
The heya thing shouldn't matter, cross heya training is really popular. There are streets you can stand on and see like 4 heyas at the same time. Hakuho also had a similar situation in his heya. It is some discipline/weight combo thing going on.

It seems that Endo might be gone tomorrow or soon.

Uncle Jam fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
It's a discipline thing. The English commentators on NHK always talk about how he's lazy and it's such a shame because he could be so good. I guess he's just coasting on his size and strength.