Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Yeah I don't get it. I feel like people are able to kill me from across a map but I can barely hit a guy facing away from me ten feet away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hey guys, is this the great game everyone thought week before launch or did it die 1 month after release?

Is it worth buying or is it boring poo poo with a dead player base?

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

It's frustrating as gently caress because as a new player I'm put up against pretty much all level 40-50 players with gear I can only dream of getting so I end up with 3 kills and 24 deaths per match.

So yeah it's a loving riot spend tons of money on this awesome game

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Snatch Duster posted:

Hey guys, is this the great game everyone thought week before launch or did it die 1 month after release?

Honestly it depends on the console. By most accounts PC appears to be dead unless you're proactive about playing with goons.

For PS4 it's exactly what I need in a Star Wars game.

If it were exactly what I wanted, Fighter Squadron would host a bevy of different game types within itself. Basically I'm asking for a Rogue Squadron reboot.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Snatch Duster posted:

Buy on ps4 for $40.

Pass on pc.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Yeah I don't get it. I feel like people are able to kill me from across a map but I can barely hit a guy facing away from me ten feet away

Yeah, I feel like that, too, sometimes. I usually get killed around double the amount of kills I make. You'll get that with chaos like this, I guess.

I just hate it when you spawn a mile away from anything and you just run run run until you get close and then you die before you do anything and have to rinse and repeat.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I could see this game being a bitch on PC. It's a good game for PS4 though and still has a large player base.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Popete posted:

I could see this game being a bitch on PC. It's a good game for PS4 though and still has a large player base.

The game's not worse on PC, but it's almost completely dead except at peak hours because the Jakku DLC + patch introduced new matchmaking bugs and split the player base at the same time. Attempting to join a game and getting stuck waiting with two other people for 30 minutes (even if you leave and come back) is commonplace. I'm not exaggerating in the slightest.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Snatch Duster posted:

PC is dead, and even if you do play, you'll get your rear end one-shot from across the map. I've been unable to find a game for the last week. At the very least it needs a server browser. I'm hoping that they expand the single player options.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Tiny Lowtax posted:

It's frustrating as gently caress because as a new player I'm put up against pretty much all level 40-50 players with gear I can only dream of getting so I end up with 3 kills and 24 deaths per match.

All the high level unlocks in the world aren't going to suddenly grant you a positive K/D ratio, if that's what matters to you. I'm still running around with the DH-17 and thermal grenade, neither of which takes very long at all to obtain. I'll admit the jump pack is a nice quality of life improvement, but it isn't necessary.

What modes are you playing? Walker Assault and Turning Point are nice because they encourage players to converge around specific points, meaning that you can find players easier and potentially rack up kills quicker. They both have the added benefit of raining points on you for playing the objective.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
If you suck and you think it's down to equipment, you can always mooch off your partner. The game's partner system doesn't just let you spawn next to your randomly-assigned partner (who may or may not suck) but it also lets you use their hand of cards. So if you don't have cool things like jump packs and bowcasters – check what cards your partner is using and swap to those when you die.

Also it does take a while before you get to a less-lovely K/D ratio. Making sense of the chaos and learning the maps takes time. I've added a bunch of the PS4 players who've recently posted (hellospaceman on PSN), so feel free to party up with me if I'm online and we can try not-suck together. But by far the best advice I can give is to hang back a bit, see where enemies move, and not run headlong into a hailstorm of blaster bolts.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Steve Vader posted:

Nobody here is XBonin' it?

I Xbone it. I'm usually on two or three times a week. Usually late but somtimes not.
GT is Pops Mgee

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Haven't had any trouble finding a game for a long time on pc.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.
PC playability seems to be largely down to luck + region. I've been getting some issues in Canada since Jakku came out, but even at worst it's only a minute or two before the matchmaking whips itself into shape and serves up a full/mostly full game with good ping.

There's no drat doubt it's got a way smaller playerbase than consoles, though, and i seriously question if it'll be playable for anyone outside the US a few months from now.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
Just played a Jakku WA, Imperial side, where I got a 47/11 k/d. Proud of that I guess?

Basically I'm not too bad. PS4 me because I feel if only be better with competent allies.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Moartoast posted:

PC playability seems to be largely down to luck + region. I've been getting some issues in Canada since Jakku came out, but even at worst it's only a minute or two before the matchmaking whips itself into shape and serves up a full/mostly full game with good ping.

There's no drat doubt it's got a way smaller playerbase than consoles, though, and i seriously question if it'll be playable for anyone outside the US a few months from now.

I had 0 issues to find games in Germany i.e. central Europe so far. But I only play WA and Fighter Squadron. The worst wait was 30 secs.

And while I agree equipment does not make a good k/d I can understand the frustration of new players. But rest assured that the overuse of jumppack + bowcaster is annoying, no matter what your level is. And it won't go away because :dice: are so proud of it they even feature it on their tips list.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Guns stop unlocking at 25 and the only "high" level unlock that is good is the Bowcaster which is at like 34 or 36?

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Tiny Lowtax posted:

It's not the gear. I started off getting 4 or five kills to 20 deaths, and after getting a feel for the game all of a sudden I'm getting the same numbers in reverse. Well sometimes I still get poo poo numbers just from dumb luck. I'm level 40 something now, have most everything unlocked, but still usually sport the same E-11/ion torp/thermal detonator combo that I was using on day one.

If you're non stop getting killed from across the map try using bodyguard to counter homing shot, and never stand still in order to counter pulse rifle snipers. I don't mean like run around all the time, just even behind cover keep moving side to side a step or two.

Hopper posted:

overuse of jumppack + bowcaster is annoying

I not saying I don't believe you at all, but for some reason I have yet to see anyone doing that on PS4. If I ran into it very often, it'd probably put me off the game.

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jan 15, 2016

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
^^^

On PC my friend, on PC... the platform they only included as a cheap cash-grab, while they really developed for consoles, as is painfully clear by the shoe-horned approach at developing what is at best a shoddy emulation of a console's 8-player party system and at worst a testament to :dice:'s complete and utter incompetency because they can't even make it work properly.

Due to the fact that mouse aiming is leaps and bounds beyond controller aiming in terms of accuracy (no offence to console gamers, I own a console myself), bowcaster + jetpack is a pain in the rear end. Red lights from the sky constantly.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Hopper posted:

^^^

On PC my friend, on PC... the platform they only included as a cheap cash-grab, while they really developed for consoles, as is painfully clear by the shoe-horned approach at developing what is at best a shoddy emulation of a console's 8-player party system and at worst a testament to :dice:'s complete and utter incompetency because they can't even make it work properly.

Due to the fact that mouse aiming is leaps and bounds beyond controller aiming in terms of accuracy (no offence to console gamers, I own a console myself), bowcaster + jetpack is a pain in the rear end. Red lights from the sky constantly.

I hadn't considered that. But how could they nerf it? Shaky cam during jetpack jumps?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Honestly, no idea. Maybe by adding huge projectily spread + accuracy penalties while not on the ground.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Hopper posted:

Honestly, no idea. Maybe by adding huge projectily spread + accuracy penalties while not on the ground.

Bowcaster man jumps at me, have personal shield and bodyguard, activate shield, melee him to death on landing.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
When a dude's trying to bowcaster me from above I just jetpack and then shoot him. Easy peasy.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Is the fighter shield supposed to block missiles? I've noticed that when I fly A-Wings sometimes I pop shield and it shrugs off missiles, but the X-Wing one doesn't seem to ever block them with shields up.

Is that just the A-Wing hit box being bugged as gently caress? I used to alt whore in the thing if people were being a pain with Ion torps from the ground but then recently I started just saying gently caress it and popping shield and shrugging them off and for some dumb Dice reason it works.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Ginette Reno posted:

Is the fighter shield supposed to block missiles?
It does not block missiles.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Ginette Reno posted:

Is that just the A-Wing hit box being bugged as gently caress?

Ding ding ding.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
The fighter shields block non-ion missiles (as from the AT-ST and Slave I).

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Honestly it depends on the console. By most accounts PC appears to be dead unless you're proactive about playing with goons.

For PS4 it's exactly what I need in a Star Wars game.

If it were exactly what I wanted, Fighter Squadron would host a bevy of different game types within itself. Basically I'm asking for a Rogue Squadron reboot.

Look what you did. You responded to Snatch Duster. You should not respond to Snatch Duster. He's basically a lesser-Utnayan on the scale of forums demons.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
That's weird as gently caress because I can hear the Ion torps hitting my ship but they just bounce off. It must just be:

Spanish Manlove posted:

Ding ding ding.

And I've definitely noticed when chasing A-Wings in Ties that sometimes I'll fire a missile and it will seem to hit the A-Wing but won't do any damage.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
It's a combination of the A-wings hitbox being broken and missiles in general behaving very erratically all the time anyway.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Fighter shields block missiles including ion torpedos, you're all just using them wrongly.

Rear fighter shields are weaker than forward fighter shields. If you take an A or X wing, turn your shields up and fly directly at a missile, it'll impact forward shields and do no damage. If it hits you from the rear it'll break through rear shields and hit for around 40 damage. I've tested this extensively in Walker Assault. The only issue is that rear and forward shield detection is a bit iffy.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Tiny Lowtax posted:

I don't know how I'd hold up this point if I were just getting started. Everyone seems to be running around with the DL 44 at this point and that gun with practice isn't really fair to a new player.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Fighter shields block missiles including ion torpedos, you're all just using them wrongly.

Rear fighter shields are weaker than forward fighter shields. If you take an A or X wing, turn your shields up and fly directly at a missile, it'll impact forward shields and do no damage. If it hits you from the rear it'll break through rear shields and hit for around 40 damage. I've tested this extensively in Walker Assault. The only issue is that rear and forward shield detection is a bit iffy.

Wouldn't it make sense for rear shields to be stronger by default, for protection against attacks coming from behind?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I would say it doesn't make sense for there to even be rear vs forward shields because other shields in the game are omni-directional. Personal shields and squad shields have no direction, any hit from any angle is the same and draws from the same energy pool.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I mean if we're going full Star Wars? Having shields that activate and then fade over time makes no sense to begin with, since shields in Star Wars are always up once you've put them up. Further, power to shields can be routed to the rear and front shields based on where attacks are coming from, meaning your shield is equally strong everywhere as long as you're smart.

It's just incredibly noticeable that there's a front/rear shield model in the game once you start realising that there /has/ to be a pattern behind why some missiles impact your ship and do no damage and some impact and just break straight through.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
It's so you can slowly fly at the ground shooting people and give less of a poo poo JUST LIKE IN THE MOVIE when they started flying forward at a death star and said "yooo point your shields to the front"

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Spanish Manlove posted:

When a dude's trying to bowcaster me from above I just jetpack and then shoot him. Easy peasy.

I use my jetpack for this purpose almost exclusively - evading. I don't see the bowcaster too much on Walker Assault in any case.

My new favorite thing is to run up on people with their personal shield up, pop in, and melee them. In WA where there is a ton of confusion, it is very easy to do.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
While jump pack + memecaster is certainly annoying, I've found jump pack + homing shot to be almost equally annoying. The lock-on time for that is so short that you can jump above someone's cover, lock them, and fire the missile from the sky leaving them nowhere to run to dodge it. Mark my words, if memecaster is ever nerfed it'll be the next obnoxious combo.

runningdonut
Feb 22, 2008
I'm still playing on ps4 and added everyone who posted here recently.
PSN: AlwaysSDC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

runningdonut posted:

I'm still playing on ps4 and added everyone who posted here recently.
PSN: AlwaysSDC

I played with you last night in that party but it said we couldn't chat? Do you not have a mic? Or do I just not have something set up right maybe? It was my first time in a party.

• Locked thread