Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

quote:

Omega Leader prevents the use of C-3PO and evade tokens

:eyepop:

I didn't realize this part. I am fully in awe of the Leader now.

Are there any Modifications that work with him? Nothing really seems to help him do his job better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Otisburg posted:

Are there any Modifications that work with him? Nothing really seems to help him do his job better.

Stealth Device if you want to keep him a little safer but nah not really. He fits perfectly in the mini-ace roll.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Otisburg posted:

Shield Upgrade, because he can only target lock one target and everything else will burn him down like textiles factory in the early 1900s.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Otisburg posted:

Besides Juke and Comm Relay? I mean you could slap a Stealth Device on him if you have the points to burn, that never goes out of style on a ship with 3 green in the bank.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
So would he be good with tat shuttle that can hand off tls and take them no matter where the ship is on the board?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
The best part of O-Leader is that O-Leader comes with all the upgrades he needs in the same package.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
EDITED FOR MYSTERIOUS REASONS

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 15, 2016

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The Lord of Hats posted:

The best part of O-Leader is that O-Leader comes with all the upgrades he needs in the same package.

Occasionally they'll do that to mix it up and keep us guessing. Like making sure tractor beams and a copy of Crack Shot are in Imp Aces.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Otisburg posted:

Occasionally they'll do that to mix it up and keep us guessing. Like making sure tractor beams and a copy of Crack Shot are in Imp Aces.

Or like putting nothing of value in the Syck.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Kai Tave posted:

Besides Juke and Comm Relay? I mean you could slap a Stealth Device on him if you have the points to burn, that never goes out of style on a ship with 3 green in the bank.

Got mileage out of this the other day.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

kingcom posted:

Or like putting nothing of value in the Syck.

Cheapest Mangler you can buy.

Of which I still have zero, because I never use anything with cannons. :v:

Brunas
Nov 5, 2012

Poe VI/regen/Autothrusters players, what are you afraid of running into with him in the lategame? I've been trying to find a good Imperial list that I don't mind running into Poe with but having some trouble, which is probably why Poe is so good...

Been using VI/EU Vader, but if it goes to time you lose 37/38 to 35 points. Whisper seems like the other good option at 39+. Tractor Vessery seems like he'll be good whenever that happens too, I guess. Any better ideas I'm missing?

Also, hi Raleigh/Durham/Cary people, didn't realize there was anyone posting here until I got pointed here today.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Edit ^^^^
Omega leader shuts Poe down hard. Can't stop the regen but you'll eventually punch through.

bunnyofdoom posted:

So would he be good with tat shuttle that can hand off tls and take them no matter where the ship is on the board?

Overkill unless you're running someone else who also wants target locks, like Vessery. That shuttle simply costs too much.

The most important thing is to have your lock on the most dangerous thing that could shoot you each turn, and you should have a banked evade at all times if possible. It's easy with comm relay.

If you have both, focus or barrel roll.

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 15, 2016

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...
Episode IV Trip Report.

What a sausage fest, if you replace "Sausage" with "Vader"

I should talk though, I took:
Vader, title, ATC, Expert handling, *EU*, and Cluster Missiles.

Dork Lord Angelo gave me 3 of 5 brownie points "Because Vader didn't have cluster missiles in the Movie" :rolleyes:

I should have left them off and taken Predator and a 3 pt initiative bid; taking them punished me twice for no reward, they rolled cold all night.

I went 2-2 in 4 matches :gary:

Tequila Ranger fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jan 15, 2016

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Tequila Ranger posted:

Episode IV Trip Report.

What a sausage fest, if you replace "Sausage" with "Vader"

I should talk though, I took:
Vader, title, ATC, Expert handling, EI, and Cluster Missiles.

Dork Lord Angelo gave me 3 of 5 brownie points "Because Vader didn't have cluster missiles in the Movie" :rolleyes:

I should have left them off and taken Predator and a 3 pt initiative bid; taking them punished me twice for no reward, they rolled cold all night.

I went 2-2 in 4 matches :gary:

Should have taken Mauler Mithel and bumped as many Vaders as possible.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Tequila Ranger posted:

Maybe he just didn't fire them. :colbert:

Tell us who got the least brownie points? Any flat out DQs for taking an EWing or w/e?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Prince Xizor (31)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Advanced Sensors (3)
Inertial Dampeners (1)
Autothrusters (2)
Virago (1)

Syndicate Thug (18)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)

Binayre Pirate (12)

Binayre Pirate (12)

Cartel Spacer (14)

Total: 100

Speaking of tournaments I'm thinking of running this tonight. After goon advice with the stress meta how it is at the moment I realised Kavil would likely never ever shoot his Blaster Turret, so I went to Ion, then I realised that given I was using Ion there wasn't a huge benefit to sticking with Kavil. That let me free up some extra points to sneak in a M3-A for some extra guns to train on whatever I can ionise.

As always any changes/advice is appreciated.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I have come up with an absolutely awful list to run when I buy a Punishing One. I have next to zero Scum ships, so this list is designed to be run entirely on cards from Scum ships I already have (and one from the Defender).

Dengar (33)
Punishing One (12)
Inertial Dampners (1)

Black Sun Enforcer (25)
Autothrusters (2)

Black Sun Enforcer (25)
Autothrusters (2)

Total: 100

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
Started this game recently, I've been tooling around a bit with a tie swarm (atm I have the two coresets and imperial aces). Anything I should be looking if I want to do this a bit better? Or any other general builds that are interesting to try?

On an unrelated note, how common is it for people to claim that drawing more damage cards "clears the deck" and reduces your chance of drawing bad crits later because I had like three different people trying to convince me this was true the other day (and no, they were not talking about the situation where you use all the damage cards and can't get crit anymore)

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

Otisburg posted:

Tell us who got the least brownie points? Any flat out DQs for taking an EWing or w/e?

The one brave souls who took a Scum y-wing with ion cannon and ion bomb got the minimum brownie points, nobody got DQd

"Maybe Darth never fired his cluster missiles" is what I said, but Lord Angelo is all knowing and I'm a mere mortal.

Brunas
Nov 5, 2012

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Started this game recently, I've been tooling around a bit with a tie swarm (atm I have the two coresets and imperial aces). Anything I should be looking if I want to do this a bit better? Or any other general builds that are interesting to try?

On an unrelated note, how common is it for people to claim that drawing more damage cards "clears the deck" and reduces your chance of drawing bad crits later because I had like three different people trying to convince me this was true the other day (and no, they were not talking about the situation where you use all the damage cards and can't get crit anymore)

The common tie swarms seem to be the standard 6 with howlrunner, or 3 black ties with crackshot, howlrunner with crackshot, and 2 omega fos with crackshot

Edit: that many crackshots gets expensive quickly

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

It's not that it necessarily reduces the chance of drawing bad crits later, it's that it will change the order in which you receive crits, and you should deal damage cards past your hull points because that's how much damage you took. There's no way to know which damage card will come up next anyway, but there's a verifiable difference between the theoretical probability of pulling three direct hits out of the deck when you deal extra damage and the experimental probability of actually seeing it when it happens.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Strobe posted:

It's not that it necessarily reduces the chance of drawing bad crits later, it's that it will change the order in which you receive crits, and you should deal damage cards past your hull points because that's how much damage you took. There's no way to know which damage card will come up next anyway, but there's a verifiable difference between the theoretical probability of pulling three direct hits out of the deck when you deal extra damage and the experimental probability of actually seeing it when it happens.

You should do it because the rules say to do it, yes. That doesn't really have anything to do with what I actually said.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Fortunately the rest of the post you quoted also answered your question!

It's a heuristic because sometimes people will see three Direct Hits come out on overflow and think to themselves "Hey, that happened once, so there's a chance it could happen again, and that's something I want."

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Tequila Ranger posted:

The one brave souls who took a Scum y-wing with ion cannon and ion bomb got the minimum brownie points, nobody got DQd

"Maybe Darth never fired his cluster missiles" is what I said, but Lord Angelo is all knowing and I'm a mere mortal.

I'm suprised he didn't mark you down for Experimental Interface, too, TBH. "Actually the TIE Advanced used a stock interface and flight yoke designed by Seinar Fleet Systems in 4 BBY and furthermore"

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
As badly as I wish I could wang more often, I can take solace in the fact that I at least don't have to have some rear end in a top hat like Angelo hovering over my shoulder muttering in my ear about fidelity to canon. No wangs is better than bad wangs.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Strobe posted:

Fortunately the rest of the post you quoted also answered your question!

It's a heuristic because sometimes people will see three Direct Hits come out on overflow and think to themselves "Hey, that happened once, so there's a chance it could happen again, and that's something I want."

No, the rest of your post just didn't make any sense at all. (and neither does this, unless you have a very weird idea about what "heuristic" means) Fortunately, it doesn't matter, because that was a complaint about people being aggressively bad at maths phrased as a question

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
So I have a friend getting into the game, and I'm interested in getting back in after quitting between waves 2 and 3. I believe that he picked up the new trilogy starter, so I'm curious: how do the new trilogy ships match up against the classics? The new ships look very good for their cost compared to the old, but not that much better.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Poe Dameron is on top of the meta at the moment, I haven't seen many other T70 pilots being used however, but the T70 overall isn't bad. The FO is in a weird place: it is better than a TIE/ln for its points (15 over 12), but usually in swarms you are going for maximum cheapness. Omega Leader is good with a specific combo, however and I can see him being used quite extensively. Unfortunately the FO is probably going to be overshadowed by the TIE Adv. Prototype, a much better ship for only one point more.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Strobe posted:

Emperor_Good.wav

I want to take this as deep as I can. What are your pointers for asteroid placement, ship placement, and movement? Should I try to joust and take out the biggest target, or take the long way to swing around? What should I be worried about, just aces with higher PS? Teach me your ways.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
^^^Actually, I wouldn't mind some obstacle placement and starting ship placement tips myself, I feel like I'm neglecting that aspect of the game and just doing whatever, but I feel like this is something that could improve my play.

Corbeau posted:

So I have a friend getting into the game, and I'm interested in getting back in after quitting between waves 2 and 3. I believe that he picked up the new trilogy starter, so I'm curious: how do the new trilogy ships match up against the classics? The new ships look very good for their cost compared to the old, but not that much better.

It's kind of hard to answer that depending on what you're looking to compare. On paper the T70 is going to look flatly better than a T65 X-Wing...it has one more shield and boost and the points cost isn't much higher than that of a T65, it has Talon Rolls in addition to the usual K-turns...but those few extra points can make a difference and there's no Wes Janson or Wedge Antilles flying in a T70. It's the same with TIEs and TIE/fo's where the /fo has a shield and target lock and a better dial, but if you really want to run a classic TIE swarm then you're probably still going to be using regular TIEs because they're cheaper and give you Howlrunner. And enough has come out in terms of upgrade options to keep the older models competitive (Integrated Astromech, Crack Shot, etc). Yet and still, the top two lists at last year's world championships were using Poe Dameron so, y'know.

Right now things are in a state where just about everything is honestly Not That Bad, and things which are still lagging a bit behind are due some renovations. FFG just announced a two-pack set for the TIE Defender and Bomber, two ships that are generally agreed upon to be underperformers, with some very nice upgrades that stand to drastically improve both ships, Wave 8 looks pretty good on top of that, it's honestly a pretty good time to be getting into the game.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

Otisburg posted:

I'm suprised he didn't mark you down for Experimental Interface, too, TBH. "Actually the TIE Advanced used a stock interface and flight yoke designed by Seinar Fleet Systems in 4 BBY and furthermore"

Typo, I meant EU :(

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Not going to lie: my jaw dropped when I read Poe. He seems super busted.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Corbeau posted:

Not going to lie: my jaw dropped when I read Poe. He seems super busted.

He's certainly very good but he's not super busted, really. Anything that denies him a focus...Palob, Wes Janson, stress, bumping, a Conner Net...means he's essentially no better than a generic Blue Squadron Novice until he can get his poo poo back together. He also gets out Pilot Skill'd by Vader with VI which is a combo that's growing in popularity at the moment. Plus while having boost is nice he still lacks the crazy maneuverability of something like Soontir Fel w/Push the Limit or Vader with Engine Upgrade. You can do funky barrel rolling tricks using BB-8 but that means you can't take the astromech which lets him regain shields, plus it forces him to lean on green maneuvers which can render him predictable.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I still feel like there's got to be some craziness on the table with Asty that's yet to be discovered/unlocked with that white talon roll. But I admit I find myself reaching for either Poe or Red Ace (or both) when it comes to T-70's so I'm not seeing it. Being able to boost out of a talon roll just feels like he can be Goddamn anywhere

Tequila Ranger posted:

Typo, I meant EU :(

I thought nothing from the EU was allowed :v: Seriously though, I'm sure there's some basis on which to bitch about the non-canonicity of Engine Upgrades on Vader's TIE, which is why that mess sounds like a Bad Format.

E: My kid insisted the other day that I take a little TIE/SF from a 3-pack that I'd given her as a stocking stuffer from her room at her mom's to keep at my place, because "it's for the game," and she could tell from the little hole in the bottom, where the stand should go. :3:

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jan 15, 2016

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

bunnyofdoom posted:

Unfortunately Omega Leader doesn't really want to be tethered to a shuttle.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

They are really driving for Imps to become the premier arc-dodging side of the game from the looks of it. I kind of like it because it makes the sides distinctive, but the Inquisitor, Vader and Soontir are gonna be some of the best arc-dodgers in the game now.

EDIT:

Only one point and this list would be complete, just needs VI on Vader.

The Inquisitor (31)
TIE Advanced Prototype (25), Push the Limit (3), TIE/v1 (1), Autothrusters (2)

Soontir Fel (35)
TIE Interceptor (27), Royal Guard TIE (0), Push the Limit (3), Autothrusters (2), Stealth Device (3)

Darth Vader (34)
TIE Advanced (29), TIE/x1 (0), Engine Upgrade (4), Advanced Targeting Computer (5)

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jan 15, 2016

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Brunas posted:

Poe VI/regen/Autothrusters players, what are you afraid of running into with him in the lategame? I've been trying to find a good Imperial list that I don't mind running into Poe with but having some trouble, which is probably why Poe is so good...

Been using VI/EU Vader, but if it goes to time you lose 37/38 to 35 points. Whisper seems like the other good option at 39+. Tractor Vessery seems like he'll be good whenever that happens too, I guess. Any better ideas I'm missing?

Also, hi Raleigh/Durham/Cary people, didn't realize there was anyone posting here until I got pointed here today.

Fel or Corran Horn will both have him beat in the end game.

What store do you play at, kid

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Tekopo posted:

They are really driving for Imps to become the premier arc-dodging side of the game from the looks of it. I kind of like it because it makes the sides distinctive, but the Inquisitor, Vader and Soontir are gonna be some of the best arc-dodgers in the game now.

EDIT:

Only one point and this list would be complete, just needs VI on Vader.

The Inquisitor (31)
TIE Advanced Prototype (25), Push the Limit (3), TIE/v1 (1), Autothrusters (2)

Soontir Fel (35)
TIE Interceptor (27), Royal Guard TIE (0), Push the Limit (3), Autothrusters (2), Stealth Device (3)

Darth Vader (34)
TIE Advanced (29), TIE/x1 (0), Engine Upgrade (4), Advanced Targeting Computer (5)
And situations like this might be where Adaptability shines for that 0 point 1 PS boost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Archenteron posted:

And situations like this might be where Adaptability shines for that 0 point 1 PS boost
I didn't think of that and that's an extremely good point. PS11 or PS10 Vader is still pretty scary.

• Locked thread