Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
So I'm watching Rasta Mouse doing a documentary thing on MRAs on BBC 1 because I hate life and myself.

These people continue to horrify me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Rohan Kishibe posted:

So I'm watching Rasta Mouse doing a documentary thing on MRAs on BBC 1 because I hate life and myself.

These people continue to horrify me.

Hahaha I had no idea Reggie Yates was Rastamouse. And yeah that MRA one is :stare: It's one thing to read that stuff online, but to hear them spout it in real life was disturbing. Also had to laugh at the 18 year old lad parroting other's opinions in his parent's spare room which was decorated for a small girl.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Crankit posted:

They aren't more "suggestive" they just want to be up on stage in front of everyone, and they're willing to go along with whatever he does in order to be there.

Thats what being suggestive is?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Realistically, how old does my nephew have to be before I buy him all of Rastmouse on DVD?

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
It's probably for ages 3+. That's when they tend to move away from TV shows that are just random colours and noises, and start appreciating stories and characters.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

The Big Taff Man posted:

Thats what being suggestive is?

If you mean in the industry suggestive is used euphemistically then perhaps, however I think most people would interpret it as meaning that some people out there are more susceptible to subconscious manipulation or persuasion, rather than saying this person will do what I want because they want to be on stage/tv.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Rondette posted:

Also had to laugh at the 18 year old lad parroting other's opinions in his parent's spare room which was decorated for a small girl.

They did a zoom on the kitchen roll by his bed, which I thought was a cheap shot (cos ALL 18-year-olds wank alot, not just the deluded rape-apologists.)

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Why kitchen roll though? That's gotta chafe like a motherfucker.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

netally posted:

It's probably for ages 3+. That's when they tend to move away from TV shows that are just random colours and noises, and start appreciating stories and characters.

Cool. I've got a while then.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Why kitchen roll though? That's gotta chafe like a motherfucker.

Presumably you wouldn't masturbate using the roll though? This just raises so many questions i dont want answered :can:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I just barely started this one about those MRA pricks and already I'm rolling my eyes at the insanity. The first dude he talks to is a PUA. Gross. What kind of loving name is Roosh?

Haha that loving beard.

Oh jesus christ, he's reading from his pick up 'books' and the dude really is a sex offender pushing the envelope. Uuuuuugh 'Haven't YOU DONE THAT REGGIE :smug:. I seriously hope this guy gets arrested in the future.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 15, 2016

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Presumably you wouldn't masturbate using the roll though? This just raises so many questions i dont want answered :can:

Fair point. I was just thinking of when I've had a cold and run out of tissues and have to use kitchen roll and my nose ends up red raw.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

"I'm speaking the TRUTH over your weird foreign hate crime laws!"

Oh I want to punch this man so many times in his stupid beardy face already.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Why does this have to be a common acronym? :(

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Because it's easier to say than "rapist with training wheels on."

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Al2001 posted:

They did a zoom on the kitchen roll by his bed, which I thought was a cheap shot (cos ALL 18-year-olds wank alot, not just the deluded rape-apologists.)

Call me old fashioned but if I knew that the BBC was coming round to interview me I'd probably tidy up a bit or at least make sure not to leave a wank rag in plain view

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

ThomasPaine posted:

Call me old fashioned but if I knew that the BBC was coming round to interview me I'd probably tidy up a bit or at least make sure not to leave a wank rag in plain view

In the mind of the MRA though, its probably about reclaiming pride in male sexuality. Or else, just general gooniness

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

All three of the Reggie Yates documentaries were really well done. Felt sorry for the chaps in the body building one; the MRA one was genuinely scary.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Yeah, the dude is a really nice guy and aside from the goony MRA creeps you feel just really sad for everyone else.

If you haven't seen the ones where he bravely explored the crazy world of Nationalist Nazi Homophobic Teen Model rearing Russians, go ahead. Just uh, be prepared to pause and wince a lot.

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Because it's easier to say than "rapist with training wheels on."

I know what term I am using for them from now on!

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders
I really want to like Crashing but I just can't. The premise feels picked out of a hat marked 'Topical Themes'. Them living in an abandoned hospital is the sort of set-up engineered to throw oddballs together, like in Community or Fresh Meat, but here they are mates and couples, and might as well live in their own houses, mansions or castles.

The 'We're Like Brother and Sister' couple are a nightmare, and so intimate that if they were real brother and sister one would be telling the other to chill the gently caress out. The girlfriend is completely right to be jealous and suspicious, but she's a Cringe Villain instead.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Is Dragon's Den over then? I didn't realise that eggs one was episode 12 and I feel like this series only actually had 3 episodes in it!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Is there a way to legally watch the Detectorists Season 2 in the states?

I found season 1 on Netflix and it's my new favorite show, but I don't think I can wait a year or more for it to get to Netflix.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

BonoMan posted:

Is there a way to legally watch the Detectorists Season 2 in the states?

I found season 1 on Netflix and it's my new favorite show, but I don't think I can wait a year or more for it to get to Netflix.

AFAIK no-one has yet ruled circumventing geo-blocking as illegal, it's simply a EULA violation of at least one of the services, legally akin to evading a profanity filter on an online game.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Khablam posted:

AFAIK no-one has yet ruled circumventing geo-blocking as illegal, it's simply a EULA violation of at least one of the services, legally akin to evading a profanity filter on an online game.

Yea, VPNs aren't illegal. At least not yet.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2016/01/21/23997/philomena_cunk_gets_her_own_show

Philomena Cunk getting a one-off show of her own as part of a Shakespeare season

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Taear posted:

Yea, VPNs aren't illegal. At least not yet.

VPNs suck and I don't know why people keep citing them as a way to get around geoblocking. Unblock US or AdFreeTime are what you want. Transparent and cheap. If they don't support what you need (and if it's Netflix, Hulu, iplayer etc you're covered), then you have to go vpn.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

thehustler posted:

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2016/01/21/23997/philomena_cunk_gets_her_own_show

Philomena Cunk getting a one-off show of her own as part of a Shakespeare season

They buried the headline at the end of that article. "while daytime soap Doctors will feature episodes inspired by Shakespearean sonnets."

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

VPNs suck and I don't know why people keep citing them as a way to get around geoblocking. Unblock US or AdFreeTime are what you want. Transparent and cheap. If they don't support what you need (and if it's Netflix, Hulu, iplayer etc you're covered), then you have to go vpn.

VPNs don't suck, are useful for more than geo-unblocking and are cheaper than those services, which are a higher priority target than a VPN due to their singular use and will more easily fall to countermeasures if applied.
There's absolutely no reason to use one of those services.
UNblock US in particular just uses DNS routing and is regularly broken, and as of writing Netflix have stopped DNS ID so it doesn't work. Expect others to follow suit.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Unblock-Us costs gently caress all and works with what I need it to (NHL Gamecenter). Like 3 quid a month. What does a good VPN cost? Also you get to use your entire bandwidth and aren't limited to the VPNs.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
Tunnelbear is a good and easy to use VPN, never had bandwidth issues, that also costs £3 per month (I think, I'm an expat) and let's you select your Vpn endpoint from about 10 countries.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

thehustler posted:

What does a good VPN cost?

thehustler posted:

Like 3 quid a month

Even free VPNs don't struggle with HD streams on netflix / iPlayer, there's not really an issue. Paid ones usually get 20-30mbit which again is more than enough.
You can use either I guess, but his opinion that "[all] VPNs suck" is just not true, at least not in TYOOL 2014-2016 where there's been a huge groundswell in their adoption.

e: the point is, with a VPN netflix et al can simply block known VPN IPs, and the whackamole game is usually in the favour of the VPN users, who can largely just spam re-connect to choose from a large pool of IPs. With DNS fuckery, once the technique has a block on it, you're waiting a while for a fix. i.e. unblock US isn't working with netflix as of this week with their crackdown.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 21, 2016

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

thehustler posted:

Unblock-Us costs gently caress all and works with what I need it to (NHL Gamecenter). Like 3 quid a month. What does a good VPN cost? Also you get to use your entire bandwidth and aren't limited to the VPNs.

Exactly, and AFT is even cheaper. If unblock us is constantly broken, it's news to me as I've had the service for years with rarely a complaint.

Also you can leave it running on your router in the background and all your devices get the benefit and you're not constantly connecting and disconnecting to get around the geo scan (which half the time sets a cookie and you have to mess about with killing browser sessions etc). Plus I'm not routing all my traffic through some dodgy as gently caress service.

And 20-30mbit throughout maybe enough for you, but I've got a 180mbit line so no. No chance.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
I've never had problems with Unblock Us either. Been using it for years. Hoping it doesn't stop working before the Gilmore Girls revival.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Can't find a thread (I may be wrong), is this a good as place as any to talk about Ripper Street Season 4?

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Lucky Man was good

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

netally posted:

I've never had problems with Unblock Us either. Been using it for years. Hoping it doesn't stop working before the Gilmore Girls revival.

Shouldn't be an issue as it's going to be their own production, so will be viewable everywhere (unless they've ever made a show that they limit where they 'air' it? I've never heard of that but I guess it's possible).

Yes, I'm very much looking forward too. Sad Edward Hermann passed before the new episodes, such a big part of the show.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Can't find a thread (I may be wrong), is this a good as place as any to talk about Ripper Street Season 4?

I love it so much.

That is all.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

EL BROMANCE posted:

Shouldn't be an issue as it's going to be their own production, so will be viewable everywhere (unless they've ever made a show that they limit where they 'air' it? I've never heard of that but I guess it's possible).

Yes, I'm very much looking forward too. Sad Edward Hermann passed before the new episodes, such a big part of the show.

You're right that Netflix Original shows are usually shown in all countries. Just wondering whether the UK release date will be the same as the USA? It'd be annoying if the show comes out weeks later and the spoilers are everywhere.

I'm hoping they don't do a Richard Gilmore funeral because I will cry. We need another GG/teen drama megathread. The old one was fun, and I enjoyed seeing goons admitting their guilty pleasures.

Anyone else watching Brian Pern? This series isn't as good as last year's christmas special, but it's pretty well observed. I'd buy an album of his songs, especially the christmas ones.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Unless something has changed, on a netflix original it's available the literal same minute worldwide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

netally posted:

You're right that Netflix Original shows are usually shown in all countries. Just wondering whether the UK release date will be the same as the USA? It'd be annoying if the show comes out weeks later and the spoilers are everywhere.

I'm hoping they don't do a Richard Gilmore funeral because I will cry. We need another GG/teen drama megathread. The old one was fun, and I enjoyed seeing goons admitting their guilty pleasures.

Anyone else watching Brian Pern? This series isn't as good as last year's christmas special, but it's pretty well observed. I'd buy an album of his songs, especially the christmas ones.

I watched that the other day and really enjoyed it, lots of good cameos, and I love the insane amount of detail gone into the album covers and videos and stuff. I spent a happy half an hour looking at the BBC's website. Didn't realise there was a Christmas special, doesn't look like it is on Iplayer now as I could only watch the first episode.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01rtpy4/p02dgrt4