Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Santa Meurta CG was a trap and now whoever makes and implements them thinks that people like the extra challenge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

frank.club posted:

The Santa Meurta CG was a trap and now whoever makes and implements them thinks that people like the extra challenge

I dont get this reference since I just started playing again but this is some bullshit.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh wait I was wrong. There was a CG requiring rare goods to be moved to a station several thousand ly away from the jump in point. There've been a few others that seemed too poorly thought out and not worth doing.

You shouldn't be playing this game for the CG's or any other mission anyway

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Target Practice posted:

Ugh this bounty CG has only a low res in the system. bloooooooows

Not only that, it looks like both the stations in-systems don't repair/reload. Might have to go play with alien eggs instead

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
So I took a 3 minute video of the sound these things make.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4m3ntWpyas

Try speeding it up.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
If the ending of FFE is canon, then Thargoids will have an uneasy peace with humans.

It won't be full out war.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
i want to murder the fucker at :frontear: who decided that the default binding for "eject all cargo" (END) should be right next to "silent running" (DELETE)

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Hey, you guys said that there was absolutely *nothing* that shoots at you outside the bubble. I'm one jump out of T Cephei and I saw a distress call. I responded to a distress call once. Got blown up. Big mistake. And I know there was shooting this time, because later I saw some salvageable wreckage.

Are there random events everywhere? Last time I went somewhere everything was quiet.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Things can still happen like 500 Ly out of inhabited space I think

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Ok because if it's aliens I am going to regret my 0 shields/ 0 weapons build.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not aliens but there's seriously no reason not to put a shield on

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Before you go flying, you should talk about safe flight.
You don't need to, but you should before you take off from the station.
The last time you didn't use a shield, you got blown up. When was the last time you didn't take a little damage from docking or accidentally nudging something?
You can get a shield for a very affordable price. You don't even need to get an A class shield, you can stick with a D class. Even get a class down.

There is no reason to not use a shield. They can prevent what may be a harmful collision leading to module failure into just a spin and the computer saying "Shields offline."
The extra jump range is not worth it. The extra cargo capacity is not worth it. The amount you will save by having a shield is worth the cost.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

PoultryGeist posted:

Not only that, it looks like both the stations in-systems don't repair/reload. Might have to go play with alien eggs instead

Wait, they don't repair either? :lol:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

It'd be so loving sweet if there was an eventual event, and it leads to players having to run Refugee evacuations en masse from the targeted planets with constant threat of interdiction by Thargoids etc.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
I took a D class shield and keep it offline out of the bubble. Is that a fair compromise?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

DreadLlama posted:

I took a D class shield and keep it offline out of the bubble. Is that a fair compromise?

Why are you keeping it offline? It will take a few seconds for it to boot up, and then there's even more time to wait for it to charge.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Happy to report that the Tun rep grind is alive and well. I spent all afternoon there, about 6 hours, and went from rank 1 to 20% into rank 8 in that time. I'm not sure on the total number of missions, but if the rough tables I've seen on the net are true, it seems that I completed about 750 and have another 1400 to go before I'm rank 12. Hopefully they don't nerf it before I get there.

This grind would take literal months of nothing but mission running if you couldn't do the instance-switching and donation thing to turn in hundreds per hour. I do not understand the unbelievable level of grind that gets attached to stuff. I like to earn things, but if the only way is through tedious and unprofitable action that makes progress at a glacial pace- why would anyone do it?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
What does Tun rep do? I've never heard of it before.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

PoultryGeist posted:

So I flew over there for fun (3 refueling stops in my combat fit Vulture from Xihe) to check it out since I'm new and never seen one of these events before, and besides, I had a bunch of empire bounty's I figured I could turn in from KWS.

Not only does the full 'station' not repair or reload, but it doesn't have fuel. Hahaha.. the outpost has fuel at least.

After signing up for the event I turned in my Empire bounty's. They didn't count. :(

I dropped into the LowRES for a bit, and the bad guys were outnumbered by the cops something like 15:1. It was a real challenge to actually get a shot in on anything to get credit before it exploded. A Python that was at full shields that I spotted at 4.5km, was down to 50% hull by the time I could boost into weapons range, and I think I might have put all of 10 shots into him before he popped. Still got credit.

Then, I decided I'd jump out and try to reset the instance, and when I landed in super-cruise I looked to see how much bounty I had, and it said nothing, and then the server booted me off.

Pretty great event so far! :v:

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Kesper North posted:

Tun rep is right now the only reasonable way to get Federation rank.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Kesper North posted:

Donation missions that give you brownie points with the Feds and eventually earn you ranks in their military. At higher ranks you unlock the ability to buy federation ships- I'm shooting for rank 12 so I can buy a Corvette some day. I'm nowhere near the money to outfit one, but I'd rather grind the rep while it only takes a few days than take my time and have it nerfed into impossibility down the road.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I think I made a huge mistake.

I heard about Robigo being a good place to make some money, so I loaded up my Viper MKIV (biggest ship I have) and headed out there.

I actually stripped most of my fittings in order to make the jumps out less painful. I assumed (like a moron) that I could find a station or outpost to refit the ship nearby.

So now I'm in Robigo in a Viper MKIV with only 24t cargo space and no weapons. Time to start the slow journey back to a civilized part of space.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Floppychop posted:

I think I made a huge mistake.

I heard about Robigo being a good place to make some money, so I loaded up my Viper MKIV (biggest ship I have) and headed out there.

I actually stripped most of my fittings in order to make the jumps out less painful. I assumed (like a moron) that I could find a station or outpost to refit the ship nearby.

So now I'm in Robigo in a Viper MKIV with only 24t cargo space and no weapons. Time to start the slow journey back to a civilized part of space.

Don't worry, first few runs I did were 16T cargo space because I didn't realize I could fit a 16T rack in the slot I had an 8T one in :v:

1-2 runs I was able to afford an Asp to get me up to 70T

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

DreadLlama posted:

Normally people go without shield to save on weight and make their jump range a little bit higher. Having a shield and not using it is just plain weird, don't do that.

You'll regret this the first time you try landing on a high-g world only to remember 1 sec before the crash "Oh wait I didn't switch my shields back on, poo poo". :v:

Also, salvagable wreckage shows up far, far away from the bubble. I found some data caches at 6k and 9k light years from the bubble.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

IAmTheRad posted:

Why are you keeping it offline? It will take a few seconds for it to boot up, and then there's even more time to wait for it to charge.
The less power you use, the lower your fuel consumption while hanging around in supercruise. Also slightly less heat generation. If you're really going for pure efficiency, the only power consuming modules you need turned on in supercruise are thrusters, life support, and of course your FSD (I think you only need sensors if you want to target ships in supercruise, I'd have to check). I can totally see keeping a small D-rated/biweave shield and only turning it on when approaching a planet I intend to land on.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Helter Skelter posted:

The less power you use, the lower your fuel consumption while hanging around in supercruise. Also slightly less heat generation. If you're really going for pure efficiency, the only power consuming modules you need turned on in supercruise are thrusters, life support, and of course your FSD (I think you only need sensors if you want to target ships in supercruise, I'd have to check). I can totally see keeping a small D-rated/biweave shield and only turning it on when approaching a planet I intend to land on.

In my opinion, pure efficiency sounds a lot like pure stupidity to me. Why the hell would fuel consumption in supercruise ever be an issue?

Less heat generation is also pretty much worthless if you already have an A-class plant and a weaponless explorer-fit. If you end up wedged uncomfortably between multiple suns, you're still toast without heat sinks. Burning slightly less fast won't help you.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

The Locator posted:

So I flew over there for fun (3 refueling stops in my combat fit Vulture from Xihe) to check it out since I'm new and never seen one of these events before, and besides, I had a bunch of empire bounty's I figured I could turn in from KWS.

Not only does the full 'station' not repair or reload, but it doesn't have fuel. Hahaha.. the outpost has fuel at least.

After signing up for the event I turned in my Empire bounty's. They didn't count. :(

I dropped into the LowRES for a bit, and the bad guys were outnumbered by the cops something like 15:1. It was a real challenge to actually get a shot in on anything to get credit before it exploded. A Python that was at full shields that I spotted at 4.5km, was down to 50% hull by the time I could boost into weapons range, and I think I might have put all of 10 shots into him before he popped. Still got credit.

Then, I decided I'd jump out and try to reset the instance, and when I landed in super-cruise I looked to see how much bounty I had, and it said nothing, and then the server booted me off.

Pretty great event so far! :v:

Yeah, only the Arawere League vouchers count. Before I logged off due to no frag ammo/mild boredom, my 500k in bounties put me in the top 15. I think I was spoiled, the Lave exploration CG was my first, it may have given me a false impression

Lankiveil
Feb 23, 2001

Forums Minimalist
Hmm, I was just in Merope a couple of days ago and it was whisper quiet. I think I'm still in jump range probably.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Sarsapariller posted:

Happy to report that the Tun rep grind is alive and well. I spent all afternoon there, about 6 hours, and went from rank 1 to 20% into rank 8 in that time. I'm not sure on the total number of missions, but if the rough tables I've seen on the net are true, it seems that I completed about 750 and have another 1400 to go before I'm rank 12. Hopefully they don't nerf it before I get there.

This grind would take literal months of nothing but mission running if you couldn't do the instance-switching and donation thing to turn in hundreds per hour. I do not understand the unbelievable level of grind that gets attached to stuff. I like to earn things, but if the only way is through tedious and unprofitable action that makes progress at a glacial pace- why would anyone do it?

Oh god please tell me, is there an equivalent donation spot for empire?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Kuvo posted:

i want to murder the fucker at :frontear: who decided that the default binding for "eject all cargo" (END) should be right next to "silent running" (DELETE)

open cargo scoop is home aka right above end so when you are trying to open the cargo scoop for collector limpets you eject everything, eject cargo is in a terrible spot.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

This is why the first control customization should be to unbind it.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

24-7 Urkel Cosplay posted:

Tun rep is right now the only reasonable way to get Federation rank.

Can confirm tun donation's is a real thing.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Helter Skelter posted:

This is why the first control customization should be to unbind it.

Or just operate the hatch exclusively from the Functions screen.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I would really like to have an SRV with more than 2 cargo space.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Hamshot posted:

Oh god please tell me, is there an equivalent donation spot for empire?

I haven't checked out anything but Tun yet, but here's the word on where to go- all of these are systems that primarily generate donations, and if all the factions are aligned to your chosen group you don't have to worry about sorting for empire-only.

Federation:
Tun: 3 faction
Exbeur: 3 faction

Empire:
Tamar: 3 faction
Aymifa: 3 faction
Cubeo : 2 faction
Wonomi : 2 faction
HR 1064 : 2 faction
Clota : 1 faction

Floppychop posted:

You can easily make 10+ millo with a 24T cargo hold doing a single run of stacked smuggling missions out of Robigo Your main consideration is going to be jump range though- you want to carry enough fuel to make the ~370LY trip without stopping to fuel scoop, because you will be constantly interdicted by NPC's as soon as you take a bunch of missions.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Tun is a pain compared to Draconis, because it spawns lots of non donation missions (courier and goods shipping) and the donations that do spawn are diluted by goods donations instead of almost all cash.

Oh and the donation missions don't spawn all that often.

Probably 2 of every 5 board reloads will have 1-2 cash donations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So how much money does it work to rank up using the donation missions like that?

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Make sure you use protection

Not my finest hour.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Annath posted:

Tun is a pain compared to Draconis, because it spawns lots of non donation missions (courier and goods shipping) and the donations that do spawn are diluted by goods donations instead of almost all cash.

Oh and the donation missions don't spawn all that often.

Probably 2 of every 5 board reloads will have 1-2 cash donations.

I hit Draconis first and while there were still donation missions, there were no cash donations at all. Since it's ~400LY from the bubble, it's effectively worthless now. I'll keep an eye on it but I doubt it was a fluke. Thanks Frontier!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Why does Elite have such dumb design in it? Abduction missions are absolutely terrible. We know for a fact this person kidnapped people but if you attack them you get a bounty and if you use hatch breakers everything but the hostages will drop from there. Oops, out of hatch breakers and now I have a bounty for assault. Even after all this time, it seems like only the hauling missions are the only ones worth doing since they're basic enough that the idiots at Frontier can't screw them up with their terrible decisions.

• Locked thread