Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
How terrible an idea is an 08 hypermotard 1100 in "good" condition. Wheelied and dropped once or twice... For $4500 bucks through a friend, details like mileage etc unknown yet. These things maintenance nightmares?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It's an aircooled duc, it's not bad. I'll take it if you won't.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Im looking at an '08 aprilia rsv 1000r this weekend, anything specifically to look out for? 19k miles, was down once so its been poorly repainted but nothing cracked. I'd probably ebay some new fairings anyway.

Gonna be a chilly ride back if I get it, but whatever the dude only wants $3700 "obo"

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You're a bastard, I can't find anything within 1500mi that isn't asking $5k++. I've been looking for a while now.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 14, 2016

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Buddy has a tuono gen 1 for sale for somewhere in the 4K range.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It'll probably take a while to sell at that price unless it's a clean R.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
12k miles but not an R model, sadly.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
So, I need a little bit of help here. My dad wants to get into more track riding and I'd like to give him the confidence of a bike he doesn't need to worry about lowsiding. He has expressed interest in my track rat F4i should I upgrade. I wasn't planning to upgrade until next season, but we're gonna do the COTA event together here in March. I'd like him to have something abuse-able for that.

This guy here seems like one of the better options in the area:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/5385264397.html

It's a somewhat newer chassis, mild build on the motor, really good suspension components, and couple sets of spare wheels for mounting rain tires. He's also only slightly heavier than me, so the springs will probably be fine for now. The downside is that it was lowsided at his last event. He says he repaired it enough to race again that day. So at least it seems like the forks didn't get tweaked in the incident.

The bodywork and lower end of the fork are the real sad part here. I can't figure out what bolt he scuffed in first image. My first thought was that a slider snapped off, but there's no slider mounted on the other side.

I offered him a trade for my 2009 DRZ400SM, 3600mi. It spent the first 5 years of its life in someone's garage and I've put the most recent 3100mi on it in the last year. 3x3 mod, jets, levers, handguards, case savers and stock can.

He says he needs a bit of cash on top. I don't think it's entirely unreasonable, I was planning on selling the DRZ this spring for around $4k hopefully.

And to clarify, I don't race yet. I'm mid level in the local track day instruction group.

So, the track bike market is kinda all over the place. Is his bike a good option? Is that a reasonable price?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
First off - in the first pic there is nothing missing from the fork. The front axles on these are two piece and inset from the lowers.
Second - don't buy a race bike with an actual motor build for a track bike. They don't last as long as a stock motor and you don't know who built the motor or what the history is. It may last forever, it may pop on your out lap. If you want SS 600 power you buy a stock GSXR750 and make the same power or more with more torque AND you are dead reliable.

Also, that frame has seen some poo poo.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 15, 2016

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

BlackMK4 posted:

First off - in the first pic there is nothing missing from the fork. The front axles on these are two piece and inset from the lowers.

Right, my concern was that axle clamps (I'm sorry, I am missing technical vocabulary for this) took a hit and might have tweaked the forks.

BlackMK4 posted:

Second - don't buy a race bike with an actual motor build for a track bike. They don't last as long as a stock motor and you don't know who built the motor or what the history is. It may last forever, it may pop on your out lap. If you want SS 600 power you buy a stock GSXR750 and make the same power or more with more torque AND you are dead reliable.

The motor build is a major concern. Since I'm not racing yet, I want reliability most of all. Dude says it's a mild tune and didn't have specifics as he was not the original builder. But I have no frame of reference for Stock -> Mild -> Holyshitballs. I am not actually seeking the power. The nice suspension components and more modern aftermarket support are my primary interests. It seems like many of the aftermarket manufacturers have stopped making parts for the F4i, so if I lowside it, it's gonna be a pain to replace the rearsets and whatnot. The F4i does have a stock motor in it from what I can tell, and I do enjoy that aspect of it.

BlackMK4 posted:

Also, that frame has seen some poo poo.

Is it common for amateur racers to skimp on sliders?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Those are called the lowers, it's unlikely the forks would be bent from sliding there.

A 'supersport build' is a certain spec, depending on what org it was raced in. Generally a supersport build makes somewhere between 115 and 125whp depending on the bike (CBR on the lower end, 09 ZX6R upper end). Blueprint motor, builder spec valve job, deck head/block, thinner headgasket, degree cams, builder spec clearances on the bearings, and a tune. The more well known shops (KWS, EDR, etc) generally charge $2k+ in labor plus parts for this.

A lot of race / track bikes don't run sliders. They tend to flip the bike easier and bend frames. Race fairings + case sliders.

On another note... I'm seeing FZ09s in the low 6k asking range lately. I should probably ride one.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 15, 2016

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Ah yes, current owner claims 115WHP so that all lines up.

Thank you very much for the clarifications.

What are good suggestions then? I am enjoying the challenge of my slow F4i. It requires me to work very hard on my lines, smoothness, and timing for passes. It's got a Penske rear in it, so it's got okay suspension but I honestly have no frame of reference for that either. Hell, I may stick with my original plan and run it for another season.

I've had people recommend the 675R because it comes with good suspension out of the box. But there don't really seem to be any of them in the area.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Buy a street or track gsxr-600 or 750. They're basically unchanged since 06, parts are plentiful and cheap.

Do not buy anything with a built engine for a track day bike. Ever.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Having owned a prior track bike that I took to street legal. Don't do that. Just don't.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
M. Knight Skymall just reminded me of our local racing forums. There are a collection of track / race bikes in far better condition for more reasonable prices.

This one is already sold but serves as a good reference for price http://www.cmraracing.com/showthread.php?33378-FS-2006-Kawasaki-ZX6R

Also found the guy that listed the CL post above http://www.cmraracing.com/showthread.php?33326-2008-Kawasaki-ZX6R-racebike-4500.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll keep my eyes open.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

kuffs posted:

M. Knight Skymall just reminded me of our local racing forums. There are a collection of track / race bikes in far better condition for more reasonable prices.

This one is already sold but serves as a good reference for price http://www.cmraracing.com/showthread.php?33378-FS-2006-Kawasaki-ZX6R

Also found the guy that listed the CL post above http://www.cmraracing.com/showthread.php?33326-2008-Kawasaki-ZX6R-racebike-4500.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll keep my eyes open.

e: one min
http://www.cmraracing.com/showthread.php?33486-2009-Kawasaki-zx6r

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 15, 2016

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
drat, drove almost 2 hours to go look at that RSV1000R and the dude flaked out.
Looking at an '07 R1 locally tomorrow, maybe it's for the best, should be a good upgrade over my '04, no?

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't know much about adventure bike/BMW resale value. What's a fair offer for this?

http://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/5362085584.html

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Voltage posted:

drat, drove almost 2 hours to go look at that RSV1000R and the dude flaked out.
Looking at an '07 R1 locally tomorrow, maybe it's for the best, should be a good upgrade over my '04, no?

It's basically the same bike.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yeah.
98-03 R1 is basically the same
04-08 is the same
09-15 is the same

Minor differences like the 1st gen getting FI on the same old motor in 02 or the traction control that came in somewhere around 2012(?), though 04-08 is basically the same.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Hey.

Does anybody know anything about the 1989 XT350? Thinking about buying one.

I owned one for several years. Used with 100% street tires in NYC. Excellent bike for soaking up potholes.

However, kickstart only, I remember reading that you are not supposed to be able to hit the footpeg on a full kick. There's some kind of internal engine plate which prevents it. This plate can break off and then sit at the bottom of the sump, where it remains for all time as you then bash the footpeg with every kick. I can't remember if this would eventually end in disaster, but I rode mine like this for a couple of years with no apparent problems. When the decompression cable attached to the kickstarter snapped, it was easy enough to kick over without it.

Being a thumper, things will vibrate off. The previous owner had removed the license plate plastic mount fender at the rear, leaving only two brackets hanging down from the tail on which to mount the license plate. The vibrations eventually sheared my license plate clean off of the brackets on the highway—I have no idea where that thing is now. A year or two later, my exhaust header vibrated a hole in itself. (Then, I did a little of my own shearing when I sheared an exhaust bolt off in the head trying to replace it.) This might have been my fault, taking it on a 300-mile all-freeway trip south and then north again a few days later.

It had a weird stalling issue where, once in a blue moon, the bike would just die and then take forever to get restarted. This happened mainly in the heat, hinting at overheating—perhaps the electronic ignition—but I remember it also happening at night once, shortly after starting a ride. Never found out the cause of this.

Great bike. Fun and light.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Tell me this is a bad idea http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/mcy/5410923681.html

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That is a lot of miles, but also a lot of bike and farkles for that price. It even looks good. If it were local to me I'd at least be checking it out in person asap, that's for certain.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

Coydog posted:

That is a lot of miles, but also a lot of bike and farkles for that price. It even looks good. If it were local to me I'd at least be checking it out in person asap, that's for certain.

Eh, they go for 100k+ miles. Turns out it's at a shop, I wonder if they'd take the ninja and a couple hundred for it. I would have to check the valves. It'll be upper 30's this weekend, I might ride over and take a look.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Please do this. I had no idea those motors ran so long. If they can save you the hassle of having to sell your ninja, that would be so much the better. You notice the blue stitching on the corbin seat, matching the paint? Really ties the bike together.

Also, this sells me on the strom1000
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz52mT_gPhs

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

For what it's worth, I really enjoy my 2006 Vstrom 1000.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

I've been cross-shopping big adventure-touring bikes for a while to find my next bike that I want to buy at some point this year and the V-Strom 1000 has been at the top of that list due to being the cheapest while still being good. Do any of you guys have anything to say about it, positive or negative to help the decision along, as it's come up?

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose

Trauma Tank posted:

I've been cross-shopping big adventure-touring bikes for a while to find my next bike that I want to buy at some point this year and the V-Strom 1000 has been at the top of that list due to being the cheapest while still being good. Do any of you guys have anything to say about it, positive or negative to help the decision along, as it's come up?

I just bought a new 2014 which is the 2nd gen. They can be had right now for real cheap, but there is an outstanding recall (3 of them actually) that dealers have not done yet so they might not be able to sell them to you. Apart from that people have some issues with the ECU. I've had a stall or two and they can get rough at lower RPMs. You eventually ride around it, but they are replacing the older ECUs in Europe under warranty. I badgered my dealer about it here (Washington) and they basically said oh all big v-twins are like that and wouldn't even pursue it.

Apart from that I really like the bike, only about 1K miles on it right now but it's been great for daily commuting and the few days I've been able to get it out for a fun ride have been nice. I am coming from a standard street triple so while it is heavier and not as nimble, the suspension is worlds better and much more suited to my weight. I'd say go for a newer one but be aware it's not a perfect bike and you'll have to deal with a couple of issues.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Has anyone recommended a SuperDuke lately?

Possibly a SuperAdventure.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Trauma Tank posted:

It's much more touring than adventure bike. But if you want a good touring bike that will also do some fire roads then it's good.

edit: superduke is obviously the correct choice.

builds character fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 22, 2016

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

2008 V-Strom 1000 here, and it owns bones. ~15k miles on it. :agreed: it's definitely more of a touring bike than a proper adv bike, but it's certainly capable of some trail action. I've taken it through some dirt/grass/gravel with no issues. Go test ride it, they're amazing. Maintenance is oil changes and valves every like 15-30k miles. I love the low-end torque of the big v-twin and the Corbin seat.

Really can't wait to load it up again this summer and just ~go~. It's a dependable machine, and it'll take you where you want to go, no questions asked. I've gone and bought/sold a bunch of bikes in the last several years but I think the Vee will stay with me for a long, long time. :swoon:

If I had to say anything about it that I didn't like, possibly the looks? It's got that ugly but dependable look to it that only a mother or its owner could love. It also is heavy as gently caress (to be expected) and mine will very rarely die when coming to a stop as well. It's not a big issue, everywhere I had read about that characteristic pretty much just said "yeah the DL1000 does that and other big v-twins do it too".

BlackMK4 posted:

The GSXR was the most comfortable street bike in my opinion. I never got the front end right on mine, no feel. The was the bike I lost the front on and ended with a concussion. The 750 was pretty nice though.

I found that the best strategy for dealing with the front was to never load it in a corner and accelerate through everything! WOOH!

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Thanks for the responses folks, I had been particularly interested in the late models with ABS, and I intend to do more touring than adventure so that all sounds perfect and basically reinforces the position at the top of my list. I live in the U.K. So we shouldn't have any trouble getting important recalls sorted out.

I had considered the superduke and want to try the new superduke gt that's coming out in 2016 but the SD is just eminently more stealable and also like twice the cost. Maybe one day as my fun time bike but if I can wrangle a test ride then I'll take one out.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Found someone local selling an EX250 with about 16k on it, asking around a grand - I'm going to look at it later this week when the owner gets back into town, anything particular I should be looking out for on that year of 250? How soon is that due for a valve check or other major services? Owner says the carbs and engine were serviced and cleaned about 3 months ago, so I'm wondering if that should have included a valve clearance inspection as well, and if that wasn't part of what was done, would be something useful for talking the price down some. It's also supposedly got a new rear tire and new battery. The only issues noted in the ad is that the seat has a small tear in it (covered with black tape) and one of the mirrors is missing (a replacement shouldn't run me too much).

Also, what's the address of that site with all the Ninja 250 info and such? I know a bunch of people have posted it here before, but I'm drawing a blank on the name.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
This will answer both of your questions

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Service_Schedule

Valve check is every 6k, starting with the 500mi running-in service

edit: as a man who has done a valve adjustment on an EX250, I encourage you to buy the specialty tools to do it. The feeler gauges are great and the little wrench to do the tappet adjustment is indispensable.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Well that VStrom sold before I could look at it. Here's another high-mileage one- http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/5361237184.html

How many miles is too many?

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Dutymode posted:

Well that VStrom sold before I could look at it. Here's another high-mileage one- http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/5361237184.html

I've actually checked that exact bike out while I was doing some other stuff at that dealership! :toot:

but 59k jesus christ, offer them like 1200 or something

e: iirc they have two used v-stroms and a few used FJRs hth

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
How is a Honda XR650L for touring? They make all the luggage for it I could ever need for nerdventuring at Happy-Trail so I'm not worried about farkling. But like power, heat, weight, on and off-pavement capabilities? Do they manage on the freeway? Do they have any serious quirks?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

kuffs posted:

This will answer both of your questions

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Service_Schedule

Valve check is every 6k, starting with the 500mi running-in service

edit: as a man who has done a valve adjustment on an EX250, I encourage you to buy the specialty tools to do it. The feeler gauges are great and the little wrench to do the tappet adjustment is indispensable.

Thanks Kuffs, that was exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I've done two ex250 valve adjustments, and it's a lovecraftian experience. I will be getting those tools for the next time (in four months... :( ). Glorious bike, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Dutymode posted:

How far are you willing to drive / where are you located? A buddy of mine is selling his late father's 2009 V-Strom DL1000, 16k miles, matching saddle bags and trunk bag for $6600. Located in Bloomington-Normal, IL. Not sure if that's in your price range or not, but I figured I would mention it.