Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Yea I can see working something up for pd/pd/pd/lep. One pd in back with +stun trinkets and locked-in +spd quirks, the pd in the front with every bit of dodge you can find. Other backslot pd probably wants the less surprise and better scouting trinkets. Back pd's stun+blight for 2 rounds, leper chops at rank 2, pd in front can either buff leper, shuffle/remove corpses, or put a blight on a front row high prot guy. Shuffle probably being the main option, move a squishy stunned blighted guy up for the leper to finish and hopefully a new person into the stun/blight machine.

Not a lot of room for error recovery with this team though, so maybe a bit too risky on higher level dungeons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I'd be tempted to build the R2 PD with Hardskinned/Slugger/Melee Crit, equip her with the (actually pretty bitchin) PD melee trinket + ancestor's coat, and let her pretend she's a hellion

I can't imagine she'd live long, but it'd be fun for a while

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

paradoxGentleman posted:

seriously though they aren't all meant to be effective teams I imagine. It could maybe work if the first Jester uses Solo and Solo is for some reason more effective then I thought, the other two spam bleeds and the Plague Doctor carries the rest of the team, but by and large it exists for the purpose of the joke.

Nah clearly lots of the combos are really really bad, although its cool they gave those names anyways, and kinda funny. Plus now you can pick one of those builds as a sort of challenge run, and then specifically tell people "I'm doing a Comedia run" or something :)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I wish solo was better because it looks rad as hell.

VVV I just use finale to move my jester to the back row when he gets pulled up front. Its really underwhelming as an actual attack most of the time.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 15, 2016

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Internet Kraken posted:

I wish solo was better because it looks rad as hell.

solo and finale should by all rights wreck poo poo with how massive the debuff finale has

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Zaphod42 posted:

Finally at the very bottom of the page is the party where its just 4 blackbelts, only they used 4 dead blackbelt sprites instead of the normal ones :haw: (because black belts are loving garbage)

Black Belt Lives Matter.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Started this up yesterday, had my first party wipe today to a shambler's altar fight. Everything was pretty easy up to that point, but I guess I brought that on myself :gibs:

I like playing with all the positioning mechanics, but I learned Jester/Plague Dr./Bounty Hunter/Leper is not a great idea if I've got the Jester's party order shuffling skills on and all his back row songs turned off too. That crazy fight also kept shuffling all my dudes around, the leper was a total liability since he got stuck in the back rows most of it.

Also, I saw some posts upthread talking about how great resting can be, should I generally be using it earlier in the dungeon to buff everybody up, rather than saving it for later? Intuitively it seemed like the point would be to reduce everyone's stress and heal up before a boss, but it seems like everyone piles on a bunch of stress at the end of the rest period which is at best mitigated by stress healing skills, and then there's not enough rest points to buff up.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

A lot of it depends on what guys you are bringing and what their skills are. In general the buffs are really strong, so personally I like to make sure I've got 11-12 time units of buffs and camp in the second room (they disabled the first room for camping because <reasons>). On average I tend to be able to give around 20% dmg and either an accuracy or crit buff to all my damage dealers. Then you're killing poo poo a lot faster which reduces damage and stress damage you take in the first place.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
Have they said anything about how the Darkest Dungeon will be set up? I ask because I am wondering if there will be the same three stages of bosses (adventurer, veteran, champion). Right now I have killed about half of the veteran level bosses and it could be challenging to put together a lower level squad to deal with low level bosses.

E. Meaning that I have already almost maxed out my barracks.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

ZypherIM posted:

A lot of it depends on what guys you are bringing and what their skills are. In general the buffs are really strong, so personally I like to make sure I've got 11-12 time units of buffs and camp in the second room (they disabled the first room for camping because <reasons>). On average I tend to be able to give around 20% dmg and either an accuracy or crit buff to all my damage dealers. Then you're killing poo poo a lot faster which reduces damage and stress damage you take in the first place.

Makes sense, guess I should actually use the survivalist in town for once and pay attention to those skills going forward.

Other random stuff I've noticed-
The trinket vendor seems completely overpriced both in gold and upgrade materials. I'm leaving that as my absolute lowest priority right now. I'm running on the assumption that low level/common trinkets are mostly trash, though I'm sure as I get more used to the impact of stats, I'll figure out when the tradeoffs are worth it or not and who to stack stuff on.

Is it ever possible to get more than one action per round? I think I've seen some bosses that act twice per round (2 gold bars next to their HP at the start of the round), can you like buff speed enough or use any other effect to get an extra action or anything, or is speed just used for determining action order?

And related to that, I swear I read some tooltip or something that said surprising the enemy made them lose a turn, but it seems like it just makes them all act last on the first round right?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah, surprising enemies used to make them miss the first round entirely, now it just makes them go last. I wish it shuffled them too.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Reztes posted:

The trinket vendor seems completely overpriced

Yup. I've only ever used it a couple of times, and only when I've been absolutely rolling in cash.

quote:

Is it ever possible to get more than one action per round?

Nope. Speed affects turn order only.

quote:

And related to that, I swear I read some tooltip or something that said surprising the enemy made them lose a turn, but it seems like it just makes them all act last on the first round right?

I think it used to make them lose a turn, but yeah, now it just means all your guys go first.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

ZypherIM posted:

If you want to learn curio interactions on your own, more power to you. If you don't

This is the best one I've found. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=386706480

Don't trust the wiki.

holy poo poo i had no idea anti venom could be used on Heirloom Chests.

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!

Reztes posted:

Makes sense, guess I should actually use the survivalist in town for once and pay attention to those skills going forward.

Other random stuff I've noticed-
The trinket vendor seems completely overpriced both in gold and upgrade materials. I'm leaving that as my absolute lowest priority right now. I'm running on the assumption that low level/common trinkets are mostly trash, though I'm sure as I get more used to the impact of stats, I'll figure out when the tradeoffs are worth it or not and who to stack stuff on.

Is it ever possible to get more than one action per round? I think I've seen some bosses that act twice per round (2 gold bars next to their HP at the start of the round), can you like buff speed enough or use any other effect to get an extra action or anything, or is speed just used for determining action order?

Trinket Vendor and Survivalist in general are lowest priority in terms of upgrades. While a lot of common trinkets are generally pretty lackluster, some can be good regardless of level. +Bleed and +blight trinkets can really help with stacking DOTs on Veteran and Champion level monsters.

No, speed only determines the order in which character's get to make a turn, it is not possible to get more than one action per round on a character.

Correct, surprising enemies simply makes the enemies act after your team has exhausted all their actions.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Multiple actions per turn are only for bosses, basically a way to help mitigate the whole "player gets 4 actions and boss gets 1" thing. Some of the bosses should honestly get another action, like siren having 3 would be good.

Getting a surprise round used to be huge, now it is good, but sometimes potentially dangerous if you get bad luck (high speed enemy lives, someone gets knocked low and that guy goes again before you can).

Upgrading survivalist is pretty far down the list too. I'd like to see them remove all the -cost upgrades and change them for anything else, but I doubt it'll happen.

I haven't actually tested anti-venom on heirloom chests! I never saw that there haha. I know it works for sure on another type though.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Found him after a near party wipe vs The Collector. What should I want out of him?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

If your jester there has the stress relief skill, you can transform every fight and crush fools. He'll heal when he comes out of the transform, which will help with the whole "no healer" bit. If you're not transforming all the time, his stun skill is really great in level 1 dungeons for the damage as well as the stun effect. My generic party with him is Jester-Occultist-Abom-MaA in a medium dungeon. Occultist+MaA give him +40% dmg, +10 acc, +3% crit, he has a self-buff for another 25% dmg, and you still have some camp time left after that to buff some more.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

widespread posted:

Found him after a near party wipe vs The Collector. What should I want out of him?

Well he should not be there in Rank 1. He's better in Rank 2.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
He's fine in rank 1 if he's gonna be transformed most of the time since he's way more powerful that way, but managing the stress caused by that with low level parties is difficult. If your jester is plucking away on the lute it shouldn't be an issue though.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Well it didn't matter anyway, for everyone died of Heart Attacks in the LAST loving ROOM.

Christ. It can be stressful to manage stress, if we're being honest.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees
Of all the lowlight Level 0 dudes Short quests I've done, the one where I had a Jester double as a stress healer so I could use survivors for a couple Medium quests past it was the slowest loving run and it still ended in everyone having 80-90 stress because I was short a dude doing actual damage and therefore took more Crits as a result. You may as well skip stress healers early on. Or at least double up with a Houndmaster's Cry Havoc to make sure the Abom stress recovery comes in full.

Black Wombat posted:

The straight +Dmg ones are good - I have a hellion with Slugger and Warrior of Light locked down and boy howdy. She can wreck things.

The +Acc quirks are also very worthwhile. Enemy dodge outpaces hero accuracy growth, and so at high levels every little bit helps.

+Speed is quality on most heroes. I mean, if it's on a Leper or an Arb nobody cares, but on mid-speed characters it's really solid.

Most others aren't worth the cost of locking down.

I think I math'd out later that Fated is actually really really good depending on if it's on every Miss. As for +Dmg, are you counting the +3% Crit Melee/Ranged quirks? Would anyone say those are worth locking down?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Lowlight level 0 dudes is a terrible idea honestly. Get them to level 1 in a lighted dungeon, go low light after that. Also don't think bothering with a stress healer in low light is worth it, instead take a solid damage guy, since the enemies hit harder and more accurately. Just assume you're going to have to stress relieve all your guys at the end and play based on that.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

I kept reading tips about taking dudes straight off the stagecoach, letting them loose without torches, and grabbing as much treasure before they all go crazy or die. So I just figured that was normal. Is the power shift at level 1 that optimal for lowlight running?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't think doing suicide runs is necessary unless you screw up your funds and don't have the money to supply your trained troops during real missions. You'd get more money just from actually completing quests rather than having to bail with some meager treasures before the last guy falls to pieces.

EDIT: Man graverobber used to be my favorite class but I'm having a terrible time with them in level 5s. They normally do fine, but then some rear end in a top hat crits them/hits them in the face with a tree and suddenly they are in deaths door from full health :(

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 15, 2016

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Lyrax posted:

I kept reading tips about taking dudes straight off the stagecoach, letting them loose without torches, and grabbing as much treasure before they all go crazy or die. So I just figured that was normal. Is the power shift at level 1 that optimal for lowlight running?

It still works, but with the changes to costs it is pretty far from optimal. Like the first upgrade to skills is 250 or something with no -cost? Pretty cheap, even if you only get it for their main attack/heal. Weapon/armor first level is around the same. That upgrade and smart play is all you need for level 1 dungeons (including bosses), more upgrades are better but not needed.

View it as a last resort "all my guys are drinking their worries away" situation, or you can't afford to supply your main guys fully, or you want to get a bit of a buffer. If you take 2 guys that are level 1 and 2 guys at level 0 through a lit level 1 dungeon you should pretty easily be able to finish it. If you sink like 4k worth of skill/armor/weapon upgrades into 4 guys (1k each) and ride them up to level 3 before tossing them you'll have a way easier time than trying to grind level 0 dudes in no light. If you get lucky and they have good camp buffs run them in mediums, but if they don't stick to shorts instead of buying good camp skills.

If you want to run low light for gods sake don't use level 0s. You start with 20 stress from being lower level than the dungeon, and level 1 upgrades give you roughly 5 acc,hp,dodge and .5% crit and maybe 1 spd. Stuns and dots have a higher apply rate from skill leveling as well.

Edit: oh yea, you resists and poo poo improve based on level as well.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

Man graverobber used to be my favorite class but I'm having a terrible time with them in level 5s. They normally do fine, but then some rear end in a top hat crits them/hits them in the face with a tree and suddenly they are in deaths door from full health :(

Then they're simulating dodge classes perfectly ;)

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lyrax posted:

i think in 10 weeks i had 50k, and about 6 deaths.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

ZypherIM posted:

Lowlight level 0 dudes is a terrible idea honestly. Get them to level 1 in a lighted dungeon, go low light after that. Also don't think bothering with a stress healer in low light is worth it, instead take a solid damage guy, since the enemies hit harder and more accurately. Just assume you're going to have to stress relieve all your guys at the end and play based on that.

Wait, there's lighted dungeons? Those exist?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

widespread posted:

Wait, there's lighted dungeons? Those exist?

He means keeping your torch level up the whole dungeon.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Count Uvula posted:

He means keeping your torch level up the whole dungeon.

Oh. Well, that's easy. But should I use the torches every time the regular Torch amount goes under 75? Or is there a better number to fire them off at.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I like taking all level 0 parties on dark runs because it's funny when they all start going insane.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

SlothBear posted:

I like taking all level 0 parties on dark runs because it's funny when they all start going insane.

They basically turn into the guards in Mark of the Ninja when you're wearing the "Path of Nightmares" outfit and freaking everyone the hell out. Now if only you could get the highwaymen to shoot on eachother in fear, that'd be awesome.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

SlothBear posted:

That is an excellent reason to do it! I just meant that as a vehicle to generate gold and heirlooms it is lacking.

widespread: If you're running a full light run use 'em at 75 or just under since they give you +25 torch.

I haven't actually considered a 1-24 or 25-50 torch run, hrmm. It removes chances for the random shambler, I wonder what the levels on loot/dmg and stuff are for that.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

SlothBear posted:

It's you, you're the Ancestor

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

widespread posted:

Oh. Well, that's easy. But should I use the torches every time the regular Torch amount goes under 75? Or is there a better number to fire them off at.

No that's good, torches only give you 25 light or whatever, so you can be in the highest light rating without any wasted light.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Level 0 no torch runs aren't that bad if you have some good trinkets. End up firing most of them when they get back to the hamlet but they all usually make it back alive and every now and then you get a guy or two who makes it back only half insane who you can upgrade and send out again.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I feel like torches would be more interesting if they were more expensive, but brought your light up to full. Then it would be a choice between using them more often to keep light high, or being more efficient but dipping into darkness sometimes.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Well, looking in the loot.json gives out this info

code:
{
         "type" : "battle",
         "bonuses" :
         [
            { "darkness" : 0, "chance" : 0.75, "codes" : [ "B", "B" ] },
            { "darkness" : 1, "chance" : 0.75, "codes" : [ "B" ] },
            { "darkness" : 25, "chance" : 0.5, "codes" : [ "B" ] },
            { "darkness" : 51, "chance" : 0.25, "codes" : [ "B" ] },
            { "darkness" : 76, "chance" : 0, "codes" : [ "B" ] }
         ]
      },
      {
         "type" : "chest",
         "bonuses" :
         [
            { "darkness" : 0, "chance" : 0.95, "codes" : [ "A" ] },
            { "darkness" : 1, "chance" : 0.75, "codes" : [ "A" ] },
            { "darkness" : 25, "chance" : 0.5, "codes" : [ "A" ] },
            { "darkness" : 51, "chance" : 0.25, "codes" : [ "A" ] },
            { "darkness" : 76, "chance" : 0, "codes" : [ "A" ] }
         ]
      }
So 0 light has double rewards when a battle dishes out, and a 20% better chance for chest (I think that is just all curios) compared to 1-24 light. Table A has a pretty wide variety of options (5, unless something with 0 weight can come up then it is 8) while table B is gold or gems (based on difficulty and a random chance).

Interestingly even running at 51-75 light gives you a 25% chance of bonus loot. It cuts you out from using high light trinkets but I don't think the monsters get any combat bonuses at that point.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Pavlov posted:

I feel like torches would be more interesting if they were more expensive, but brought your light up to full. Then it would be a choice between using them more often to keep light high, or being more efficient but dipping into darkness sometimes.
Less micromanaging too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

ZypherIM posted:

That is an excellent reason to do it! I just meant that as a vehicle to generate gold and heirlooms it is lacking.

To be clear, I do try to keep guys past level 1 for better survivability in low level dark runs and don't fire them all as soon as they're done unless one would cost too much to heal all their stress and diseases. I absolutely see the value of a Vestal with upgraded heals keeping these low light runs going. I do understand your point considering they already pile on the default 20 stress and, with suboptimal party makeups coming off the stagecoach, they're all probably ending with massive amounts of stress comparatively to full torch runs. I just didn't consider a team's first run at level 0 couldn't also be torchless because why not.