Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
First Legion
All models with the Legiones Astartes (Dark Angels) special rule are Stubborn.

Tactical Acumen

Master Swordsmen

Ancient Technology

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Nothing too big from FW this week, just new transfer sheets for Salamanders, Iron hands, Death Guard, generic Solar Auxillia, and Knight House Makabius. Plus brass for Night Lords and some book bundles.

Safety Factor posted:

First Legion

Tactical Acumen

Master Swordsmen

Ancient Technology

This is not very clear. I think a few additional rules nested in rules might help.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Mango Polo posted:

Nothing too big from FW this week, just new transfer sheets for Salamanders, Iron hands, Death Guard, generic Solar Auxillia, and Knight House Makabius. Plus brass for Night Lords and some book bundles.

Godamnit I just had a dude make some custom Death Guard Destroyer decals for my mans and now FW done and put awesome Destroyer symbols all over the new DG transfers.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
I've started cracking into my Calth box, which i'll be doing as Ultramarines.

DJDizzy keeps telling me ultramarines are great at multiple small units, but what does this mean on the field? what's an army list that at most requires a second calth box and maybe a vehicle or two going to look like?

forkis
Sep 15, 2011

Frobbe posted:

I've started cracking into my Calth box, which i'll be doing as Ultramarines.

DJDizzy keeps telling me ultramarines are great at multiple small units, but what does this mean on the field? what's an army list that at most requires a second calth box and maybe a vehicle or two going to look like?

Well I'm glad to know I'm not the only guy running Ultramarines.

If you're running their ROW then your first Calth box will account for just your compulsory troops choices at bare minimum squad sizes, since you need three. A second box could probably let you run some larger sized tactical squads and/or a few minimum sized heavy or support squads.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

krursk posted:

Leaked Dark Angels legion rules.
Schismatic Indignation
All models with Legion Astartes (Dark Angels) special rule gain +3 to WS when in assault with enemy models with the Legion Astartes (Dark Angels) special rule.

Poignant determination
All units with the Legion Astartes (Dark Angels) special rule may re-roll failed pinning tests when falling back.

Peritus Plumbum
All units with the Legion Astartes (Dark Angels) special rule may re-roll 1s when using Rotor Cannons.

They need a drawback. Make it so the Rotor Cannons also have to reroll 6's.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Recoome posted:

Lol get a load of this guy

The current IW RoW, "Hammer of Olympia", is weird because it requires an extra troops choice and either a Warsmith or a Siegebreaker, and you get disordered charge after a rapid fire (so it is only for Tac squads with Bolters), Extra Armour (lol) and an extra HS slot (take allies). The question is: what does it actually do? I love Iron Warriors (it's the legion I've always had) but the problem with the RoW is that I don't really see what the RoW is trying to do. Conversly, the Emperor's Children and the Son's of Horus' RoW both have very clear focuses (although I'd argue that the Iron Warriors have solid Legion rules, whereas the EC are a bit more fickle).

whoopwhoopwhoopwhoop

No seriously. Some legions have better RoW than others. Notably the RG RoW and the AL RoW kicks all kind of rear end. IW is abit lacklustre, as is the SoH. RoWs are rumoured to get an update in the next book, alongside a new RoW for each legion.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hencoe posted:

I've had fun with 10 man tactical vets with sniper and two HB each rolling around in rhinos being assholes with HoOlympia, its expensive and not good but double tapping sniper bolters and charging with 3 attacks because pistol/ccw is entertaining.
I'll also use it for 5 HS slots with onslaught.

See this poo poo would be great if you didn't need to take 3 mandatory troops choices before spending those 300 points on more scoring marines. Onslaught helps a lot here though.

Subtle, excellent

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Did FW change their resin? I was working on my ordinatus last night (because I have a problem) and it felt different than my other big models I've gotten over the past couple years. Also went together nicely with more than 4 pictures for instructions!

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 15, 2016

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Isstavan trilogy is on sale from FW. That basically means they're reprinting or introducing a new book sometime soon.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 16, 2016

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

Isstavan trilogy is on sale from FW. That basically means they're reprinting or introducing a new book sometime soon.

The promotion ends Feb 4, HH Weekender is Feb 6-7.
Pretty easy guess that we'll get the preview at the weekender and either on sale already or up for preorders.

plz let shattered legions use the non-compulsory HQs as their, well, compulsory HQs.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Loyalists OP pls nerf

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Recoome posted:

Loyalists OP pls nerf

lol get rekt heretic.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

Hencoe posted:

Did FW change their resin? I was working on my ordinatus last night (because I have a problem) and it felt different than my other big models I've gotten over the past couple years. Also went together nicely with more than 4 pictures for instructions!

I noticed the same thing with my leviathan that arrived yesterday (detailed 40k style instructions are nice). The colour of the resin is a little lighter then what I've received in the past and it feels smoother after washing.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Even Forgeworld has switched to recasters.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

What if forgeworld is the recasters. :tinfoil:

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DJ Dizzy posted:

What if forgeworld is the recasters. :tinfoil:

So they take your money, buy recast stuff online, and then ship them directly to you? I can see them making a lot of money on that.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Not strictly 30K related yet but will be in the future -

For the past few years I've mostly played warhams and such in a literal basement room rented by a friend. The space has been fairly small but it was enough for us at first - but then our unoffical little gaming club grew over the years. A single gaming table and a little hobby corner in a dinky basement room just wasn't enough to fit us all - it's not fun when we have to prioritize around 'we can't really fit more than three people in this room'.

So we ended up upgrading. Our new space is an old meeting room in the decommissioned city garrison - a very secure, low-rent area with plenty of space for our purposes. Last night, we started moving our poo poo and got a lot further than I expected. We still need some more seats and tabletops but we're mostly done with the furnishing by now!

This is the view from the door. The room is 6 meters wide and a bit over 8 meters long, so we have about 50 square meters (can't be arsed to figure that out in Imperial). Three gaming tables on the right, hobby spaces on the left.

Left of the doorway we have our hobby station - this section of the room is going to be entirely devoted to assembling and painting minis and other hobbyist stuff. We're aiming to fit two, maybe three people in here at once.

Using the shelves to partition off the space, the back left corner of the room is our chillout space. We need to fit a couple of more seats and an actual TV stand in here, but this space is going to hold an old TV and a bunch of old gaming consoles, maybe a laptop to run emulators on, along with a microwave. I love the fact that this quarter of the room alone is about as much space as our previous digs had. (The table is purposefully just big enough to play X-Wing or most boardgames on)

The first and biggest of our gaming tables, mostly intended for Mordheim and Fantasy Battles but absolutely nothing does (or has) keep us from playing 40/30K on it, too. We're aiming to set up another 'urban warfare' table, and once we have the hobby line running, we'll start working on a bunch of knockoff Zone Mortalis tiles for the last table.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jan 18, 2016

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

BULBASAUR posted:

So they are pushing 3 books for £195 + postage that will be junk in the next few months?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Fumble posted:

So they are pushing 3 books for £195 + postage that will be junk in the next few months?

I don't think they're reprinting those books. The rules in them will be invalidated by the reprinted red books, but the original red books already make the Istvaan Trilogy redundant at best. At this point people buy the big black books for fluff and pictures and completionism. Also, FWIW, shipping on that bundle is free.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

I like the black books. Fluff, campaigns, scenarios and so on.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

DJ Dizzy posted:

I like the black books. Fluff, campaigns, scenarios and so on.

Yeah me too. I'm not a habitual collector by any stretch, but I'm planning on collecting those books just because they're so beautifully made and have so much great non-mechanical content. Sticker shock is understandable, but they're less than twice as expensive as 40k Codexes and have much, much more than twice the value in my opinion, and orders of magnitude more effort and love went into them.

Edit: I should add that I've spent thousands and thousands of dollars on textbooks over the years; $100 for a giant leather-bound volume is easier to swallow when you've been forced to pay $150 for a tedious 120-page paperback that you'll use for four months and never see again. Also I should add that 40k Codexes are massively overpriced--I just don't think the 30k books are.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Trying to build an army without the BattleScribe files or a PDF version is basically an exercise in madness.
But yeah, they're beautiful books and I'm glad I bought them.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Mango Polo posted:

Trying to build an army without the BattleScribe files or a PDF version is basically an exercise in madness.
But yeah, they're beautiful books and I'm glad I bought them.

Oh, for army building I absolutely recommend the redbooks or PDFs. I don't really feel bad about the latter since at this point I own all five blackbooks plus the two redbooks. It's not so bad when you're just checking the Militia or Solar Auxilia list or whatever but it's not a good long-term solution by any means. Thank god that new Army/Knight redbook is coming out soon.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 18, 2016

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I made a separate Battlescribe catalog for our group's campaign so that I wouldn't have to fudge the numbers in a regular session. Making catalogs is usually pretty easy but gently caress making them from scratch for 30k.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's a HH catalogue already tho?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Our league has modified rules. I just use the red books and latest FAQ, it 'aint so bad.

Drake_263 posted:

Not strictly 30K related yet but will be in the future -

For the past few years I've mostly played warhams and such in a literal basement room rented by a friend. The space has been fairly small but it was enough for us at first - but then our unoffical little gaming club grew over the years. A single gaming table and a little hobby corner in a dinky basement room just wasn't enough to fit us all - it's not fun when we have to prioritize around 'we can't really fit more than three people in this room'.

So we ended up upgrading. Our new space is an old meeting room in the decommissioned city garrison - a very secure, low-rent area with plenty of space for our purposes. Last night, we started moving our poo poo and got a lot further than I expected. We still need some more seats and tabletops but we're mostly done with the furnishing by now!

This is the view from the door. The room is 6 meters wide and a bit over 8 meters long, so we have about 50 square meters (can't be arsed to figure that out in Imperial). Three gaming tables on the right, hobby spaces on the left.

Left of the doorway we have our hobby station - this section of the room is going to be entirely devoted to assembling and painting minis and other hobbyist stuff. We're aiming to fit two, maybe three people in here at once.

Using the shelves to partition off the space, the back left corner of the room is our chillout space. We need to fit a couple of more seats and an actual TV stand in here, but this space is going to hold an old TV and a bunch of old gaming consoles, maybe a laptop to run emulators on, along with a microwave. I love the fact that this quarter of the room alone is about as much space as our previous digs had. (The table is purposefully just big enough to play X-Wing or most boardgames on)

The first and biggest of our gaming tables, mostly intended for Mordheim and Fantasy Battles but absolutely nothing does (or has) keep us from playing 40/30K on it, too. We're aiming to set up another 'urban warfare' table, and once we have the hobby line running, we'll start working on a bunch of knockoff Zone Mortalis tiles for the last table.

This owns! What country are you in? I can only hope our group turns a basement into a proper dungeon such as this.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 18, 2016

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Sulecrist posted:

$100 for a giant leather-bound volume is easier to swallow when you've been forced to pay $150 for a tedious 120-page paperback that you'll use for four months and never see again. Also I should add that 40k Codexes are massively overpriced--I just don't think the 30k books are.

The secret to college books are libraries and copiers.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

BULBASAUR posted:

This owns! What country are you in? I can only hope our group turns a basement into a proper dungeon such as this.

We're Finnish! I'm very glad with what we've got so far - we need to find a couple of big MDF plates for the last two gaming tables and maybe a couple of more seats but we've got pretty much everything where we want it, now. I'll grab some more pictures when I'm there next.

Oh, and one thing I forgot to mention - the room is sound insulated. Zero echoes and I'm pretty sure we can have almost as much noise as we want without bothering anyone. There's a dog training club next door and we haven't heard a peep so far.

Edit: The garrison is also technically decommissioned but the area is still pretty drat secure, too, so we can feel safe about leaving our poo poo there. I have a full company of Death Guard who probably will be living almost 24/7 there now.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 19, 2016

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Drake_263 posted:

I forgot to mention - the room is sound insulated. You cannot hear the screams.

:stare:

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"
I just picked up a Calth set from some rando on Facebook for $100CDN. What have I done. I don't even know anyone who plays 30K.

Buying things counts as hobby progress, right?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Resounding cries of 'BULLSHIT!' when I maul another three, four units with a single ram of my Typhon, more like..

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

poo poo I might be doing it guys I might be buying into this super premium space Barbie game, gonna split the Black Reach and Calth into two roughly 1k pts forces for me and a bud. Seems like ultrasmurfs and word bearers are pretty solid starting teams so ill probably just stick with them even though neither are my favourites.

Getting my painting game in a better place since Bulbasaur basically destroyed all painting techniques I had heretofore ascribed to and I need some metallics and weathering for these ancient spacebarbies.
Even though I'm not even sure ceramite is metallic you guys???

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

nopantsjack posted:

poo poo I might be doing it guys I might be buying into this super premium space Barbie game, gonna split the Black Reach and Calth into two roughly 1k pts forces for me and a bud. Seems like ultrasmurfs and word bearers are pretty solid starting teams so ill probably just stick with them even though neither are my favourites.

Getting my painting game in a better place since Bulbasaur basically destroyed all painting techniques I had heretofore ascribed to and I need some metallics and weathering for these ancient spacebarbies.
Even though I'm not even sure ceramite is metallic you guys???

My condolences.

But at least please paint the legions that you enjoy.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Mango Polo posted:

My condolences.

But at least please paint the legions that you enjoy.

I'd go for white scars or world eaters but gently caress painting white and everyone and their dad decided to play alpha legion.
Quite liked the way the Word Bearers were in the First Heretic BL book. I always played homebrew chapters with space marines so I'm not attached to any of them. Except maybe Black Templars but they don't exist in 30k.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

nopantsjack posted:

I'd go for white scars or world eaters but gently caress painting white and everyone and their dad decided to play alpha legion.
Quite liked the way the Word Bearers were in the First Heretic BL book. I always played homebrew chapters with space marines so I'm not attached to any of them. Except maybe Black Templars but they don't exist in 30k.

White ain't that bad :shobon:
Though there's nothing wrong with Word Bearers; they're pretty awesome.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

nopantsjack posted:

Sigismund and his bros have a kickass scheme of yellow with black trim. And plenty of BT iconography.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Yeah the Imperial Fists have some awesome templar'y models but I'm not a fan of their colour scheme or really their motif of just strong defenders holding their dicks on Terra.

Also I know (more or less) how to paint white, but for White Scars I'd want them to look weathered and desert beaten and I'd also want them to have cool looking Asian heads and cool gubbins and treasure decorating them and Asian mini heads don't exist to the standard I'd like and my bitz pile is almost non-existant at the moment. Lots of people convert spacewolves to be them but I'm not really into that.
The scars are probably my favourite chapter, but the main thing keeping me away is the jetbikes that look like some kind of space marine themed Bad Dragon toy.
Sons of Horus are very tempting especially since my first attempt at mixing Ultramarine colours ended up with a pretty good looking Horusy turquoise and also because 10 year old me would have poo poo himself if he'd have known they'd release a Horus model with rules.

I'll probably just stick with Ultras and Word Bearers because I've already started painting the Ultras and they look pretty good. Also apart from Emperor's Children and Iron Hands they probably have the best rivalry and I can make a force of Word Bearers who had their brains broken by Monarchia in much the same way that wingnuts went mad over Obama and moderates went mad over 9/11.

e: also on White Scars, I love White Scars but don't want to buy any bikes. So yeah.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Someone posted a preview of the upcoming legions but I can't find it. I just want to take another look at the leaked Blood Angels if someone could find it.

I kind of hope you found them already, but here you go just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
No spoiled rules yet though?