Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Silver2195 posted:

At least they still need Nami as a navigator. Chopper just keeps getting overshadowed by other doctor/healer characters. In this chapter it was Caesar of all people.

Well, to be fair, Caesar was working on a special anti-gas medicine to counteract the special gas weapon he helped develop. I wouldn't be too harsh on Chopper's medical abilities since starting the New World since everything he's been overshadowed on was because of bullshit devil fruit powers. I'm more annoyed by how Chopper is seemingly more timid than Usopp ever was. I know Chopper was never as gung-ho as the Monster Trio, but he at least tried to be brave in the face of danger and fight with the crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'm calling it now, Pudding's going to turn out to be super attractive and actually a good thing for Sanji. And, in a first for him, he'll turn down/postpone it so he can keep on going with the Straw Hats until they reach Raftel.

If sanji goes from womanizer to "I'm sorry miss, but I have someone waiting for me!" That will be much more entertaining than his current schtick

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I like Sanji.:unsmith:

Please be okay, Sanji.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Parrotine posted:

I really hope Urouge is from Skypeia. Wanna see if he's from the island of warriors that Enel nuked a few years back, would be a fun twist

I mean

He has wings and was hanging out on the sky island that Kaidou jumped off of. And the people living there called him "high priest".

I don't think we need to see a birth certificate.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.

Silver2195 posted:

At least they still need Nami as a navigator. Chopper just keeps getting overshadowed by other doctor/healer characters. In this chapter it was Caesar of all people.

That's like saying Doctors are worthless because Pharmacists are the one actually helping people by preparing medication

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I wonder how this marriage affects the world government and the reverie...

And I hope Sanji's family is related to that castle in Law and Norland's flashbacks.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
This is a political marriage to form an alliance between the Strawhats and Big Mom Pirates.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
This is actually a possibility. Big Mom hasn't actually done anything to earn the true ire of Luffy, has she? She technically threatened them and Fishman Island, but if she were to relax I'm sure Luffy would, too. This is probably how they deal with one of the Emperors.

Kaido, though, yeah he has to die.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
An alliance between the Big Mom Pirates and the Straw Hats would be an interesting turn of events, but I still see Luffy being stubborn as always (possibly against the wishes of his crew) and wanting to kick Big Mom's rear end first to say he defeated all four Yonkou fair and square.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

It's gotta be more important than a strawhat/big mom alliance though. The world government want sanji alive. There must be a big political impact, like the rights to an ancient weapon

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Sub Harrison posted:

It's gotta be more important than a strawhat/big mom alliance though. The world government want sanji alive. There must be a big political impact, like the rights to an ancient weapon

Maybe the BM Pirates want dibs on Sanji first as a bargaining chip with the World Government for something in return? Just throwing conjecture around here.

The Yonkou seem to be open to making deals with the WG/Marines, as seen with Blackbeard and Akainu with the battleship deal for Bonney.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Maybe the BM Pirates want dibs on Sanji first as a bargaining chip with the World Government for something in return? Just throwing conjecture around here.

The Yonkou seem to be open to making deals with the WG/Marines, as seen with Blackbeard and Akainu with the battleship deal for Bonney.

And look how well that deal went for Blackbeard.

And remember the amazing 'deal' that Whitebeard offered the Marines????

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
This is basically the most :goonsay: post, but

Should Capone really be able to affect seastone with his devil fruit? That seemed like a cheap way to restrain Caesar. I understand why it had to happen, but he can shrink seastone? That's weird.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Huh. After 8 years of devoted loyalty I've finally realized that One Piece, thanks to slower pacing, terrible adapting by Toei and a feeling that good potential is being wasted, One Piece is no longer my favorite Manga. Even the Shounen trappings and 90s sexism are beginning to blatantly show.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I swear to god if you fuckers drop that seastone spear in there one more time I'm going to lock you up in the anus.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Was it ever established Sanji had amnesia?

Grouchio posted:

Huh. After 8 years of devoted loyalty I've finally realized that One Piece, thanks to slower pacing, terrible adapting by Toei and a feeling that good potential is being wasted, One Piece is no longer my favorite Manga. Even the Shounen trappings and 90s sexism are beginning to blatantly show.
i'm sorry you can't enjoy a good anime titty any more

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Spanish Matlock posted:

I swear to god if you fuckers drop that seastone spear in there one more time I'm going to lock you up in the anus.

loving lol

I want luffy to ask how does he poop

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Relin posted:

Was it ever established Sanji had amnesia?
He doesn't need amnesia for this plot to work, does he? My guess would be that he had a reason for leaving his birth parents behind and taking the job on Zeff's ship. He probably just wanted to move on from his previous life.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Relin posted:

i'm sorry you can't enjoy a good anime titty any more
Can one piece women truly be called human anymore???

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
They look about as ridiculous as the men so sure.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

Can one piece women truly be called human anymore???

Not in this arc, no.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

God forbid another amnesia plot twist.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

And look how well that deal went for Blackbeard.

And remember the amazing 'deal' that Whitebeard offered the Marines????

I didn't say the deal went well, just that the Yonkou are open to them.

Cat Machine posted:

He doesn't need amnesia for this plot to work, does he? My guess would be that he had a reason for leaving his birth parents behind and taking the job on Zeff's ship. He probably just wanted to move on from his previous life.

I'm just guessing Sanji was orphaned at such a young age he doesn't have any memory of his original family. He was on a random cruise ship as a cook first and ran into Zeff as a coincidence, so Sanji has probably been a cook as soon as he could walk. He didn't plan on running into Zeff, it just ended up that way by circumstance.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jan 15, 2016

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Sanji is going to go through with the wedding and Pudding will be the 10th crew member

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Shoren posted:

I know Chopper was never as gung-ho as the Monster Trio, but he at least tried to be brave in the face of danger and fight with the crew.[/spoiler]

you forget chopper had an outright phobia of humans. he only liked the strawhats other humans still bugged him. i dont think he is quite afraid of everyone...but he would still be more hesitant in conflict with them

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The lion musketeer has replaced Bart as my preferred choice for tenth crew member. Because, while he has the straight-laced vibe of Jinbei, he's also a lion musketeer.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Cat Machine posted:

Given that he's the third son of the family it's not unlikely that he ran away because he wanted something different in life. Since the first son takes over the estate there wouldn't really be a reason for Sanji to stick around if he wanted to be a chef.

Legacyspy
Oct 25, 2008
This event with Sanji really gives some more weight to his statement right before :zoro: . He says something like, that while the marines don't know who he is right now, he of any of the straw hats will cause the most trouble for the marines. I always took this as a half-hearted boast, but if he really is some sort of Prince or son of a Noble, that gives a lot more legitimacy to that claim.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Oh I just realized Capone ate the Dave Dave no mi, becoming a Dave man.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Shoren posted:

Given that he's the third son of the family it's not unlikely that he ran away because he wanted something different in life. Since the first son takes over the estate there wouldn't really be a reason for Sanji to stick around if he wanted to be a chef.

He's probably a celestial dragon, as mentioned tons of times before. Unlike Doffy he just ran away and didn't have his dad revoke their status. Hence why a huge bounty but only alive and why he;s getting "married."

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Work Friend Keven posted:

Oh I just realized Capone ate the Dave Dave no mi, becoming a Dave man.

That movie wasn't funny.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Grouchio posted:

Yeah at this point I'm looking forward to Toriko and Shokugeki more each week

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

NutritiousSnack posted:

He's probably a celestial dragon, as mentioned tons of times before. Unlike Doffy he just ran away and didn't have his dad revoke their status. Hence why a huge bounty but only alive and why he;s getting "married."

That being the case I really hope he didn't run away for moral reasons and simply wanted to be a chef (and eventual womanizer).

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Shoren posted:

That being the case I really hope he didn't run away for moral reasons and simply wanted to be a chef (and eventual womanizer).

He was punished for stopping another noble kid from hurting a commoner woman, so he stowed away on a ship and found his love of cooking in order to pay his way.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Nah, I'm still going with my original theory of Sanji getting away at a young enough age to remember anything and settling on cooking as the first thing that came to him naturally. Why else would he have kept something such a secret from his crew?

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
I dunno if Oda like flipped a switch or something, but this is the Sanji we've all wanted for like five years. Tough and reliable, he knows they're likely outmatched and he doesn't know how much of Big Mom's crew is here, so he calmly has a standing sitdown with Pekoms and Capone. He manages to remain intimidating, he doesn't show fear, he acts like we would expect the third in command of an Emperor's crew to act. Hell, like the third in command of the Pirate King. His flirty antics were actually clever instead of being cringeworthy. The Minks greet by rubbing their faces against each other, so he does this to the cute girl ones like a loving furry, but refuses the advances of the male ones. It's not sexual to them, but he freaks out. Then he tries to "greet" Nami and gets hit. This is classic Sanji, and it's an actual joke with a setup and a payoff.

Looking forward to this Sanji Year or whatever, Oda apparently remembered how to write him.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Advice posted:

I dunno if Oda like flipped a switch or something, but this is the Sanji we've all wanted for like five years. Tough and reliable, he knows they're likely outmatched and he doesn't know how much of Big Mom's crew is here, so he calmly has a standing sitdown with Pekoms and Capone. He manages to remain intimidating, he doesn't show fear, he acts like we would expect the third in command of an Emperor's crew to act. Hell, like the third in command of the Pirate King. His flirty antics were actually clever instead of being cringeworthy. The Minks greet by rubbing their faces against each other, so he does this to the cute girl ones like a loving furry, but refuses the advances of the male ones. It's not sexual to them, but he freaks out. Then he tries to "greet" Nami and gets hit. This is classic Sanji, and it's an actual joke with a setup and a payoff.

Looking forward to this Sanji Year or whatever, Oda apparently remembered how to write him.

This has honestly been my favorite chapter since Dressrosa. It's so good. Great pacing, too.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Nah, I'm still going with my original theory of Sanji getting away at a young enough age to remember anything and settling on cooking as the first thing that came to him naturally. Why else would he have kept something such a secret from his crew?

No one on the crew talks about their childhood unless it's a major piece of the current bad guy's plan to get his face destroyed by Luffy. Even ignoring Luffy being Luffy and not telling anyone he had a famous brother, super famous grandpa, and another brother, the only person on the crew to say anything about their sad childhood directly is Ussopp. Brook is next having told them about his promise to Laboon, and then Zorro is the next most chatty by having mentioned that Tashigi looks like an old friend of his.

Considering we know Sanji left when he was, at best, nearing 10, there's probably no reason for him to talk about it. Hell, the crew didn't even know he was actually from North Blue until Jaya when they talk about Liar Nolan. Assuming Sanji is from Nolan's kingdom, that dude has become like the second most influential dude in the story after Gol D. Roger.

Also Sanji didn't seem surprised at his name or lineage, so it'd be odd if he just doesn't remember being a noble. Plus we've seen a few examples of good nobles like Sabo and Mango's dad and brother. Sanji is probably going to follow that mold.

Or this is just yet another case of mistaken identity. Maybe Sanji was a royal rear end in a top hat's body double and that's why he fled to the sea, and now the past has come back to haunt him. Do you know how hard it is to find a double when you've got curly eyebrows?

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
That would actually be fantastic if this is another case of mistaken identity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Advice posted:

That would actually be fantastic if this is another case of mistaken identity.

I doubt it. To me, Sanji's face in the final panel reads more as "gently caress I've been found out" than disbelief. Sanji's surname was never revealed, right?