Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
Man once you get towards the end game it's just hilarious. The whole game my biggest threat was swarms of gunboats. Those little fuckers can keep pace with a max engine barracuda, so after slamming my dick into that wall for a while I upgraded through the bounty hunter ships, then finally got in a blackgate.

Ooohh buddy is the blackgate a good time. Using 4 flak turrets and the rest pulse turrets just turns you into a AoE death machine. Using EMP flak paired with the missle recharge shields when hitting deflectors I just jump in the middle of stuff and watch as things cease to be. Using the T6 long range broadsides are also so much better then the lasers because you can spam them pretty accurately from really far away. Now my plan is to hunt down pirate lords for unique gear in T6 systems until I'm even more of an immortal god beast. I'm pretty excited to go back to the starter system and do these story quests in record fashion.

One thing I have noticed is that Mercs are simply bad. In the first seconds of a large engagement they eject, and for 200k a pop I can't be bothered to try and keep up with the worthless jerks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Gwaihir posted:

Nothing in the game is very hard, you can just boost out of range of anything and pick it off at your leisure, just don't buy the slower brick ships until you have maxed out your gear. (The Arcturus? The triangle quasi star destroyer DD is a trap)

It's actually fine, you need the maneuvering booster but when you're buying a million+ credit hull that's a reasonable expenditure. Like any larger slower ship it relies on null grav boosters for its combat speed. The trap ship is the Scarab, slow and expensive to meaningfully upgrade.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Moochewmoo posted:

Man once you get towards the end game it's just hilarious. The whole game my biggest threat was swarms of gunboats. Those little fuckers can keep pace with a max engine barracuda, so after slamming my dick into that wall for a while I upgraded through the bounty hunter ships, then finally got in a blackgate.
I didn't find anything that could keep up with sustained use of null-grav thrusters. You weren't using slamjets were you?

Moochewmoo posted:

Ooohh buddy is the blackgate a good time. Using 4 flak turrets and the rest pulse turrets just turns you into a AoE death machine. Using EMP flak paired with the missle recharge shields when hitting deflectors I just jump in the middle of stuff and watch as things cease to be. Using the T6 long range broadsides are also so much better then the lasers because you can spam them pretty accurately from really far away.
I used laser turrets rather than pulse but yeah it's a beast.

Moochewmoo posted:

One thing I have noticed is that Mercs are simply bad. In the first seconds of a large engagement they eject, and for 200k a pop I can't be bothered to try and keep up with the worthless jerks.
I found pro-level mercs great when set to attack fighters only. I used Pro Sparrow and I only lost her once, due to a buggy encounter (enemy gunships spawned 5-6 km below the plane and she died before they worked their way up to a range I could shoot them from).

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The mid price mercs are great in the early game, and even kill frigates for you. In the later game the Pro Pilots (unmodded) can at least put a dent into the gunship population... It's just that the second you aren't available as a target the enemy will focus fire everything they have on the merc and welp there goes your cash.

My leading cause of dead mercs was trying to ignore ambushes. "Aw poo poo guys, our free automatic EMP wore off. Better kill his 'Pro' mercenary in the few seconds it takes before it proclaims him allowed to warp away". The rest are when fights are large that the AI decides to spare some firepower.

There are no slow gradual deaths. Either they take some light stray fire that MAYBE takes down one shield for half a second incidentally. Or they go from 100% to loving dead in the few seconds it takes me to realize 'hey my Merc is being attacked'. Sometimes I'd get lucky and they'd last quite a long while. Others they'd pop on the very first combat mission or ambush I try to leave behind.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 15, 2016

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Section Z posted:

My leading cause of dead mercs was trying to ignore ambushes. "Aw poo poo guys, our free automatic EMP wore off. Better kill his 'Pro' mercenary in the few seconds it takes before it proclaims him allowed to warp away"

"I'll hold 'em off! Just get outta here!"

:cripes:

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
This game really needs a ship painter.
Mid-game, should I be going for longer range broadsides and beams?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

akulanization posted:

The trap ship is the Scarab, slow and expensive to meaningfully upgrade.
I don't like the scarab much, but all those 2nd level ships (tennhausen, scarab, dravius) are flawed in some way. Load a scarab up with mining beams and it makes an ok bridge to the barracuda or sturville. I personally like the dravius a lot more, but that one can result in a mission difficulty spike cause it's a heavy hull.

My call out for "trap ship" is the vanguard: it looks cool and the stat line seems good on paper, but has some big liabilities that make it a pain to use. It needed to be way less expensive, down near 1m rather than the almost 1.4m it costs. It's not that much cheaper than the low-end destroyers, but it doesn't get the range bonus that makes big ships so much better.

Section Z posted:

My leading cause of dead mercs was trying to ignore ambushes. "Aw poo poo guys, our free automatic EMP wore off. Better kill his 'Pro' mercenary in the few seconds it takes before it proclaims him allowed to warp away". The rest are when fights are large that the AI decides to spare some firepower.
Yeah I had the same thing as soon as I was running around in the late-game sectors, where even the best merc dies pretty fast if they attract too much attention. But if you switch your merc to "ignore all" when running from the random trash fights you'll have no problems. They'll stick with you rather than get whacked by multiple beam turrets, which is what's happening when they go from 100 to 0 in two seconds.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Klyith posted:

I don't like the scarab much, but all those 2nd level ships (tennhausen, scarab, dravius) are flawed in some way. Load a scarab up with mining beams and it makes an ok bridge to the barracuda or sturville. I personally like the dravius a lot more, but that one can result in a mission difficulty spike cause it's a heavy hull.

My call out for "trap ship" is the vanguard: it looks cool and the stat line seems good on paper, but has some big liabilities that make it a pain to use. It needed to be way less expensive, down near 1m rather than the almost 1.4m it costs. It's not that much cheaper than the low-end destroyers, but it doesn't get the range bonus that makes big ships so much better.

Full disclosure, I've never used the vanguard. I imagine it could be alright as I've had a lot of success in both the Manticore and the McKinley in high end sectors and both those ships have pretty large flaws (the Manticore does not receive a range bonus). But the Scarab is a terrible bridge ship as it needs a lot of good turrets to do much with the weakest broadsides in the game, making it super expensive. Keeping a Scarab up to date costs as much as switching to a Sturville as early as your first jump. I would say the Tennhausen has a role because it's extremely cheap for what it offers; with a six gun broadside it's much more of a bridge ship to either a low end destroyer or a high end frigate. I would group it with the Hellion as the kind of ship you might look to get after a Mastadon or Icarus.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009

GotLag posted:

I didn't find anything that could keep up with sustained use of null-grav thrusters. You weren't using slamjets were you?

I used laser turrets rather than pulse but yeah it's a beast.

I found pro-level mercs great when set to attack fighters only. I used Pro Sparrow and I only lost her once, due to a buggy encounter (enemy gunships spawned 5-6 km below the plane and she died before they worked their way up to a range I could shoot them from).

Yeah I had no joy with mk6 null grav. Those gunboats are just little bastards to me, I'm terrible. That 30% damage to shields is kind of a bummer. When you account for charge time and reloads lasers come out at slightly more damage for significantly less range. But laser disco is hella fun.

I had a 200k pro merc explode almost immediately every time I brought them to a fight. Emp flak plus pulse turrets does enough work that I really haven't missed their wonderful voice clips.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The voice clips are the only reason I learned to mod, to make a pro version of Sparrow.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
I can totally respect that. Not something I can really do on my ps4 I think.

Something I've noticed is with my smaller ships all my turrets could/would fire at once, but with my Blackgate this doesn't seem to be the case any longer. Is this due to just how drat big the ship is? My loadout of pure pulse turrets doesn't seem to be helping like it used to.

Wish pirate lords could be hunted more reliably. It's not very fun trying to warp around them only for them to update strangely and miss by a 20sm.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
They're always headed from one station to another, work out where they're going and intercept them on that line.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

akulanization posted:

But the Scarab is a terrible bridge ship as it needs a lot of good turrets to do much with the weakest broadsides in the game, making it super expensive. Keeping a Scarab up to date costs as much as switching to a Sturville as early as your first jump.
So I'll agree that it's potentially awkward transition for someone who hasn't figured out the financial mechanics, but the turret thing is not as bad as you think. The way the balancing in the game works, downgrading a turret to buy 2 of the lower level is a net gain. The power and cost for each level is a very simple +150%/+300% formula that is favorable to trading in 4 mk3 turrets for 7 mk2s.

Broadsides do give you a lot more bang for the buck so from a :spergin: perspective the Scarab isn't optimal. But it's only a "trap" if you buy it with zero cash to spare or have some weird resistance to selling equipment. In actual gameplay it works fine.

And you can't switch to a sturville early, cause that involves a lot more than just money. Step one of getting a sturville is getting a good combat ship to handle the merc missions needed to unlock it, which is a tennhauser at minimum and more likely a scarab/dravius/barracuda.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
I bought a tennhausen and haven't really touched another ship since. I keep saving up for one of the super large million dollar ships but instead I always just go buy more components. I just got a shield that has an 8 second recharge time and with spamming the flak secondary I am near invincible even in the middle of a dogpile.

I will eventually get into one of those huge 15 broad 20 turret capital ships but the best bang for the buck right now is upgrading my components to withstand more damage.

Klyith posted:

So I'll agree that it's potentially awkward transition for someone who hasn't figured out the financial mechanics, but the turret thing is not as bad as you think. The way the balancing in the game works, downgrading a turret to buy 2 of the lower level is a net gain. The power and cost for each level is a very simple +150%/+300% formula that is favorable to trading in 4 mk3 turrets for 7 mk2s.

Broadsides do give you a lot more bang for the buck so from a :spergin: perspective the Scarab isn't optimal. But it's only a "trap" if you buy it with zero cash to spare or have some weird resistance to selling equipment. In actual gameplay it works fine.

Turrets are high cost but fire at any angle.
Broadsides are low cost but you've got to expose your side.
The good thing with broadsides is that if you get in a ship with more B.ports then it's an instant DPS boost.
The bad thing with turrets is that if you get in a ship with more T.spots then you have to pop down the money for more turrets.

The economic proposition of downgrading from MKx to MKx-1 turrets to fit more on a ship does work.

Either way it doesn't matter because nothing depreciates in this game so if you hate the stuff you bought you can literally go to the store and exchange it for something else.

Rabble fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 15, 2016

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Klyith posted:

And you can't switch to a sturville early, cause that involves a lot more than just money. Step one of getting a sturville is getting a good combat ship to handle the merc missions needed to unlock it, which is a tennhauser at minimum and more likely a scarab/dravius/barracuda.

The Tennhausen is a better combat ship than the Scarab. It's faster, it's got 4 well placed turrets instead of 3 well placed turrets and 4 badly placed ones, and it has twice as many broadside ports. The Scarab almost always is a net loss in performance over the Tennhausen or Hellion. The problem with the Scarab is while it has 7 turrets, unless you are approaching head on only 5 of them can fire on your target. Other ships bring more combat power for cheaper and are not saddled with the burden of being the slowest frigate in the game for the privilege. And the turret thing is just as bad as I think, I took a Scarab into sector 2 and had to switch all my centerline turrets to fire only on locked targets because even with MK 3 equipment they were struggling to bring down shields unless I had 5+ turrets concentrating fire.

I'm not discussing optimal, the game is easy enough that you can probably beat it in a Scarab. With that said the Scarab is a net downgrade from cheaper hulls and needs more money to be kept up to date than almost all the other frigates. I played it extensively so this is an "in actual gameplay" opinion. Also weapons are absolutely not a x1.5 effectiveness for x3 cost, most of them get some more than just a bit more damage for upgrading. Scatter turrets get reload speed, mining lasers get range, pulse turrets get projectile speed, ion turrets get a higher multiplier versus shields. Some of these are negligible, but keeping your mining lasers up to date makes a huge difference for example.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I've been using exclusively pulse turrets because I like how they shoot down everything and have decent range - let's say I'm in a Sturville (because I am), sell me on mining lasers? I know they hit really hard, but their range is so bad fighter swarms get a lot of free passes at shooting the crap out of me before they get close enough that my EMP flak can shut them down temporarily and/or my turrets can shut them down forever.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
No matter what loadout, its always good to remember that you can ultimately define the engagement distance with smart booster use, honestly no matter your ship class. I found early on that it isn't really fighters tearing me apart as much as torpedo fighters and gun boats with missiles, so you can snipe them with a medium-long range broadside, then wade in to the fighter swarm and/or capital ships where your mining lasers can take things apart faster than any pulse cannon will. With a mining laser prioritized loadout, pulse still finds a use to keep pressure on downed shields when they leave the range of mining lasers.

As capital ship enemies get bigger, you can start doing things like parking lateral in their tail pipe while your broadsides and mining lasers carve them up and they can't bring 75% of their firepower to bear against you.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Psion posted:

I've been using exclusively pulse turrets because I like how they shoot down everything and have decent range - let's say I'm in a Sturville (because I am), sell me on mining lasers? I know they hit really hard, but their range is so bad fighter swarms get a lot of free passes at shooting the crap out of me before they get close enough that my EMP flak can shut them down temporarily and/or my turrets can shut them down forever.

Grabbing a beam or two will let you kill the hulls of larger ships faster once they turn up. Particularly if you want to stay in your Sturvile when the game starts throwing multiple Dreadnoughts at you during missions. You can totally pull it of with all pulse, but throwing in a beam or two and setting them to "My Target" (NOT, locks only) will let you focus down stuff you are looking at that much faster.

At the very least, set one or two turrets with good coverage to "My Target" so they will aim at ship components you specifically lock onto as well. Dreads have a bunch of turrets you can lock onto and destroy, such as beams, and leech missiles (you know, the EMP effect ones that cause EMP even if you deflect it) to make your life easier leisurly murdering it safely.

If you lock onto the turrets, last I played your guns would still only aim for center mass. Unless you set your turrets to either 'My Target' or 'Locks only'. My Target or whatever it's called basically covers "Whatever ship I'm pointing my camera at enough to make it's name pop up", but ALSO will shoot at stuff you specifically lock onto. Locks Only is basically there for ammo based turrets you don't want shooting at random poo poo.

zedprime posted:

As capital ship enemies get bigger, you can start doing things like parking lateral in their tail pipe while your broadsides and mining lasers carve them up and they can't bring 75% of their firepower to bear against you.
Grell Dreadnaughts are a complete bitch for this, last I was playing. Since they are 75% strut work, you have to be touching the edge of their struts for anything but pulse or longer range beams to actually shoot at their main body from directly behind them.

I was trying to get use out of Scatter Turrets for a while because I thought they were cool :downs: As well as not yet realizing I could destroy their leech missile turrets. Which resulted in insane Sturvile Tactics such as the following.

Pulse and longer ranged beams meant a much more leisurely time from any angle. (As funny spaceship suppository tactics were, can't aim your broadsides like that).

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 16, 2016

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Thinking of buying this. I have a PC and a PS4, can anyone recommend one over the other? I like the idea of playing on the big screen sat on the couch, but is the PS4 version as good as PC?

Fenom
Mar 23, 2007

kaesarsosei posted:

Thinking of buying this. I have a PC and a PS4, can anyone recommend one over the other? I like the idea of playing on the big screen sat on the couch, but is the PS4 version as good as PC?

PS4 version is great, it's a very good lazy couch game as long as you don't have to fight for the TV with your wife like I do.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

If you have the option then definitely PC if for no other reason than custom tracks (and mods)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

OxMan posted:

If you have the option then definitely PC if for no other reason than custom tracks (and mods)
Mods seem to be a bit of a letdown so far. But custom music is a strong argument for PC.

On the other hand a controller is better than M&K for the game, and I say this as someone who plays 100% of my games on PC and generally prefers M&K in any game where the two are on a remotely even footing. Rebel Galaxy just has two joysticks built into it's design.

But kaesarsosei has a PS4 so he could hook up that PS4 controller to his PC!

Psion posted:

Beam weapons kill fighters a lot faster than pulses do. For a couple reasons:
1) they always hit. the pulse projectiles move pretty fast and the turrets lead the target, but if you use a them manually to shoot at fighters you will see that it's not that accurate vs the faster ones. Particle beams have 3000sm of effective range, pulses have 3200sm of potential range.
2) Beams do a lot of damage to what they're shooting at, then recharge. Against most strike craft that means one shot = one kill (two for gunships since they have deflectors). Pulses don't have that burst damage effect, they will do shield damage and then the fighter they're shooting at will go evasive or they'll switch targets because their LOS was blocked or whatever. Damage to shields that gets recharged is wasted damage.

Beams do have downsides. They're expensive, and they have the worst amount of interference from your own ship's geometry. As soon as the beam clips any part of your ship it's stopped. By comparison the projectile turrets like pulse seem to get a bit of leeway there. The shots will clip through until the turret stops shooting because it can't see the target anymore. (Missiles and flak turrets get even more leeway. They will happily shoot straight through the center of your ship.)

Pulses are an ok all-around does-everything gun. I'm not a fan of them on anything with more than 4 turrets. I'd rather have more beams and some specialized turrets that are really good at one job.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

Also don't forget, if you want some custom music, PS4 does have Spotify support.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
edit: Never mind, I misread something.

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jan 17, 2016

The Belgian Devil
May 3, 2008

Ca plane pour moi
So I've been playing a lot of RPGs lately and am feeling kind of burned out on them. I was terribly addicted to Elite in the 80s and loved Privateer II and Freelancer. I played through Darkstar One recently and it was a popcorn game but I loved it anyway. And so I thought since I don't want to get pissed off at yet another RPG that somehow fails to meet my exacting standards, I'll give Rebel Galaxy a spin.

Two hours in, and I think I'm in serious trouble. I can totally see my wife coming home to find me in my underwear playing this, realizing to her horror that not only did I stay up all night playing, I skipped work as well.

Fenom
Mar 23, 2007

The Belgian Devil posted:

I can totally see my wife coming home to find me in my underwear playing this, realizing to her horror that not only did I stay up all night playing, I skipped work as well.

Yeah, this is very much a "just one more mission then I'm done" type of game.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Any suggestions on what ship to upgrade to from a Sturvile?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think the Minotaur is the popular next step for getting bigger, and the one I went with.

If you don't like the prospect of going bigger and slower, you can punch up to nearly anything in the storyline with a Sturville with some smart equipping and playing. Its got a good amount of hardpoints for being competitive in taking out shields with a balanced loadout, or gearing for hull damage with a manual shield buster missile if you want to get fiddly.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Agreed, the Minotaur is a spectacular ship, and it can easily last you through the end of the game.

It's definitely not as agile as the Sturville, but it can still move decently and is a beast in combat. I tried a couple of the Dreadnoughts, but I always went back to the Minotaur.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I soloed two dreadnoughts last night in a Sturville and thought to myself "why would I even upgrade this thing?" but I'll probably get a Minotaur someday. I like the idea of even more lasers.

I did swap to a mix of particle/mining lasers and I like them. I'm not entirely sure they're significantly better than my pulse turrets, but they're good, so I'll keep giving them a try. I did like the additional mining laser dps for helping me carve dreadnoughts apart faster.

I do wish I could assign turret priorities though. Like, "target fighters unless none are around, in which case target whatever I'm targeting" instead of FIGHTERS ONLY or MY TARGET ONLY.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Yeah, prioritized functions would be great, because currently have a set of swarm turrets focusing on fighters, and it'd be really nice if I could get them to help with the big ships once they're done without having to enter the pause menu.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Cool, Minotaur it'll probably be! Then I have to figure out where I'm going to afford the extra 5 turrets I get to put on this thing. I think a Leech/Shieldbuster pairing set to locked only would work pretty well to mitigate the speed loss when it comes to killing any larger ships, and frankly, I'm not using my maneuverability too much anyhow. The speed, though, that's going to hurt. I'll miss burning through EMP blockades like there's nothing there, but I'll survive I guess.

Are scatter turrets worth talking at all? Pulse turrets seem strictly better, though I'm thinking one set to fighter-only might help some.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ravenfood posted:

Cool, Minotaur it'll probably be! Then I have to figure out where I'm going to afford the extra 5 turrets I get to put on this thing. I think a Leech/Shieldbuster pairing set to locked only would work pretty well to mitigate the speed loss when it comes to killing any larger ships, and frankly, I'm not using my maneuverability too much anyhow. The speed, though, that's going to hurt. I'll miss burning through EMP blockades like there's nothing there, but I'll survive I guess.

Are scatter turrets worth talking at all? Pulse turrets seem strictly better, though I'm thinking one set to fighter-only might help some.
Minotaur doesn't need to run from EMP blockades.

High Mk# scatter turrets can be pretty good if you also have the turret range extender component. Not my personal choice but pretty good for a build that wants to wade in and wreck stuff :black101: style.

My minotaur layout through end-game was:
Shieldbuster (fire at locked)
Leech (fire at locked)
Ion turret (fire at selected)*
2x Flack turrets
rest beams -- started with particles and mining lasers and ended with 3x viridian 2x particle

Plus neutron broadsides and HS missiles. So mostly a long range build, with the exception of the flack turrets. The key to flack turrets is that they kill fighters really quick, but for maximum effectiveness you need to bull rush groups of bombers and gunships.

*This is a good trick I figured out at one point, ion turrets aren't spectacular and I'd rather use the shieldbuster to take down shields on a big ship. But if you keep an ion shooting at whatever you're focused on they're great at keeping shields down, especially after the opponent gets some recharge with deflectors. And against smaller capships you don't want to waste a shieldbuster on, they're the main anti-shield weapon.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ravenfood posted:

Minotaur is great. You can take on literally everything in the game just fine with a Minotaur, while still being faster and with better turning than anything else your size or larger. I still used projectile broadsides to nail fighters with it (though half throttle when I wanted that bit of excess helped).

Scatter Gun's greatest failing is their range being tiny, so in my own experience they are constantly just out of range. EVEN against fighters, since there are always the ones that like to hang back taking shots even when they aren't bombers. So I only ever bothered with them if I had the luxury of using the turret range extender mod.

I did also use a single pulse turret set to fighters only myself. It did a nice job, I always tried to set the most top rear turret as my 'fighters on'y one.

Honestly the best usage for Scatter turrets is "I got a brand new ship with more turret slots, Buy scatter turrets to fill in empty slots until I can afford pulse or beams or whatever".

Seriously, upgrading my Manticore to a Minotaur, it cost me more to buy the extra MK6 turrets. Similarly, Upgrading to a Blackgate from a Minotaur, it would cost more to fill in the new turrets with pulse.

I too, always brought a single Ion turret along for the ride set to "My Target" (Not Locks only). Mostly because I didn't want to futz with shield busters ammo.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 21, 2016

Fenom
Mar 23, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

Any suggestions on what ship to upgrade to from a Sturvile?

You can literally beat the game with the Sturville by upgrading everything to mk6 (I actually downgraded from a much larger ship), I did this because being fast and maneuverable was a lot of fun. Now I'm just messing around with the other ships to see what else I like.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Fenom posted:

You can literally beat the game with the Sturville by upgrading everything to mk6 (I actually downgraded from a much larger ship), I did this because being fast and maneuverable was a lot of fun. Now I'm just messing around with the other ships to see what else I like.

Maxing out a blackgate is so satisfying though. I did all mining lasers and the laser broadsides, I just side up to the tankiest dreadnoughts in the game and two-shot them before continuing on my merry way.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I'm a sucker for fast, maneuverable ships, so I got myself an Icarus, and when the 4 turrets and broadside ports stopped being enough I got a Minotaur. The two best ships in the game, I think.

Thor-Stryker posted:

Maxing out a blackgate is so satisfying though. I did all mining lasers and the laser broadsides, I just side up to the tankiest dreadnoughts in the game and two-shot them before continuing on my merry way.
Sucky thing about the Blackgate is that it flies like a brick, and the broadside placement enforces a minimum range if you want to bring it all to bear. When it's kitted out it's funny, but not really much fun.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I'm at a point where I'm not sure how to get money rolling in quickly. I'm in a destroyer but missions are rarely more than worth 60k and if they are, it usually means a jump and/or Dead Drop fetch. I can kill big Dreads but they still usually drop crap. Should I bite the bullet and just start doing lots of trading?

Also, how do I get torpedoes? Missle secondaries are decent but no where near the heavy torpedos that I see some ships using. Also, are antimatter pods worth it at all?

I'm in that Militia destroyer that looks like a Star Destroyer and I'm thinking I should downgrade to a Dravius or Tennhausen (again, blugh) because right now most of my turret slots are MK2's. I'm going to miss the broadside range boost if I do it though. Do you get any shield or hull bonuses in the heavy and super heavy ships or is it just range upgrades and more slots?

Lastly, is there any reliable way to find or spawn pirate lords or should I just keep a better look at my map?

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jan 21, 2016

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

bloodychill posted:

I'm at a point where I'm not sure how to get money rolling in quickly. I'm in a destroyer but missions are rarely more than worth 60k and if they are, it usually means a jump and/or Dead Drop fetch. I can kill big Dreads but they still usually drop crap. Should I bite the bullet and just start doing lots of trading?
I did delivery and dead drop missions.

There's an exploit for making mad bank really quickly, ruin the fun at your own risk:
Accept two dead drop missions from different stations, one high level and one low. Collect the low-level drop, make sure you've at least entered the target system for the high-level drop, then dock at the station that gave you the high-level mission. This will trigger the completion of the high-level mission, after which you abort the low-level quest.

bloodychill posted:

Also, how do I get torpedoes? Missle secondaries are decent but no where near the heavy torpedos that I see some ships using. Also, are antimatter pods worth it at all?
There are no player-usable torpedoes IIRC

bloodychill posted:

I'm in that Militia destroyer that looks like a Star Destroyer and I'm thinking I should downgrade to a Dravius or Tennhausen (again, blugh) because right now most of my turret slots are MK2's. I'm going to miss the broadside range boost if I do it though. Do you get any shield or hull bonuses in the heavy and super heavy ships or is it just range upgrades and more slots?
I'm not sure I follow. Any slot can use any level weapon, and more turrets = more better.

bloodychill posted:

Lastly, is there any reliable way to find or spawn pirate lords or should I just keep a better look at my map?
Yes, check your map. Also I believe there is some kind of cap on how many events can take place in one system at any given time, so if there's lots going on try another system.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jan 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

bloodychill posted:

I'm at a point where I'm not sure how to get money rolling in quickly. I'm in a destroyer but missions are rarely more than worth 60k
because right now most of my turret slots are MK2's.
This is very likely the problem.

When looking in the game files to poke at some modding potential, I noticed that equipment has a setting on it called "MinDifficulty", which gets higher with bigger Mk versions. Easy to guess that is the thing that adjusts difficulty for random missions. But most Mk1 and Mk2 gear also have a "MaxDifficulty" number, which is likely enforcing a cap on difficulty & payout.

So you need to either downgrade your ship for long enough to get the money for Mk3+ turrets, or sell other equipment (got expensive components or a guild cargo hold?)

quote:

HS missiles are the only thing you can get. Magna-mines can do more damage but they're also much harder to use.

Antimatter missiles are the one buyable thing I've never used (they seem dumb but I guess they'd wipe out a fighter swarm in one shot).

• Locked thread