Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

We're talking about him like he's dead now.

Is he dead??
That is not dead which can eternal lie / and with strange aeons, even death may die. Ia! Ia! Jrodefeld ftaghn!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

It is said His return was prophesied by the Mad Austrian himself, in his Humanactionomicon. Those who read it are struck by a peculiar madness, often claiming the flow of time to be a mere preference and chanting invocations to an ancient god they call Frem Ar'khet.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Ravenfood posted:

That is not dead which can eternal lie / and with strange aeons, even death may die. Ia! Ia! Jrodefeld ftaghn!

It's terrible that I read this and the first thing I thought was the GW Death Thread was leaking. Though I'm sure there's parallels to be made between Libertarianism and Age of Sigmar.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
I noticed yesterday that jrod posted a bunch in the Gay Mariage thread. Can anyone summarize his views on the topic?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

I noticed yesterday that jrod posted a bunch in the Gay Mariage thread. Can anyone summarize his views on the topic?

I don't really remember but I'd bet hard money it boiled down to "this is a states' rights issue and should be left up to the voters (but of course I think gays should be allowed to be married, I just don't agree they should be allowed to do it right now) and anyway the government needs to get out of marriage altogether".

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Who What Now posted:

I don't really remember but I'd bet hard money it boiled down to "this is a states' rights issue and should be left up to the voters (but of course I think gays should be allowed to be married, I just don't agree they should be allowed to do it right now) and anyway the government needs to get out of marriage altogether".

iirc it was also where he first said "lincoln was a tyrant! he eradicated all this wealth in the south!"

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

The free market has spoken, minorities, and it said "gently caress you!"

That's all it ever seems to say. How odd.

Who What Now posted:

"Here's an interesting article I think will show the thread an innovative, market-driven solution!"
*Inadvertently posts something advocating throwing all gays into concentration camps*

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

As I recall, he thought gays marrying was okay and all, but you know what's even better? Getting the government out of marriage! Statanism is the real enemy of the gays, once the oppressive State of Oklahoma dissolves and Yokel Haram becomes the de facto governing authority, THEN the gays will finally have it good.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Anyone have a link to his posts in that thread? I'd like to see how right I was in my guess for myself.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Here, go nuts.

jrodefeld posted:

Now, I support if a state wants to legalize gay marriage. However, I more consistent libertarian position that would solve the problem you describe is to get government out of marriage entirely, both heterosexual and homosexual marriage.

What is your opinion on that? No marriage licenses, no laws. It is merely a contract between two people. For some it will be a religious activity and for others a secular activity. But we don't need government defining for us what marriage is. We will all have slightly different views on marriage but none of us claim to be better than another.

That would solve the problem of marriage inequality entirely. And it wouldn't matter what some hick in Texas things about your relationship.

What is wrong with that?

And the big swerve:

jrodefeld posted:

I don't even ultimately support the idea of legalizing gay marriage on a state by state basis. I am only pointing out that local activism at the state level is moving beyond the ineffectual federal government on a number of these issues.

I would ultimately support this solution. The Federal government should state that it no longer recognizes ANY marriage and it is merely a personal relationship that the state has no business interfering with. Second a law should be written that no state should have the right to define marriage in any way that is exclusionary.

It is absurd to have a national debate on how to define a word. Perhaps Christians do not accept that homosexual couples can be married. They can believe that but they have no right to deny other people getting married.

We will all have different views on marriage. Some will think polygamy is a valid marriage. As long as they write a contract and have a ceremony, they can be married and their union is no less valid, legally speaking, than any other.

By making marriage a national issue, you invite hate and people trying to impose THEIR definition of marriage on others.

Unfortunately, many people will always be homophobic and insensitive. Many will personally not accept gay marriage. No law can change that fact.

But if government is not involved in defining marriage at all, and states are prohibited from exclusionary definitions, then this subject will not be an issue and everyone will be treated equally.

What's wrong with that?

And, I might be idealistic and blind to the pockets of racism that still exist in this country, but I don't think that even Alabama and Mississippi would bring back segregation even if the federal government didn't stop them.

In my opinion the worst that would happen would be that a single store or a small handful of racist owned stores would put up a "whites only" sign or have some sort of discriminatory policy and the media and public outrage would be so great that they would be boycotted out of business in a matter of days. Following that, even the racist owned stores if only for their self preservation, would not try any exclusionary behavior again.

I find it astounding that you believe that governments inject "rationality" into society. Yes people are imperfect and can be downright monstrous at times. But people in power, which is what government is, are more dangerous and can do a great deal of harm.

Government is actually an abstraction. There are only guns and violence and force and people who want to participate in society peacefully. All use of violence and coercive force is immoral. A just society would condemn all acts of coercion whether by private, petty criminals or governments. You are wrong if you assume that libertarians somehow trust state governments more than federal governments. We don't. State governments are easily capable of atrocious attacks on individual liberty. We only seek to use state governments as a tool to protect its citizens against federal oppression when it is called for.

In an ideal society, both federal and state government would be so small as to be insignificant to the lives to most people. The highest political power that matters to most people would be your town mayor and city council.

quote:

I don't think that even Alabama and Mississippi would bring back segregation even if the federal government didn't stop them.

The rest of it his him simultaneously getting bogged down defending the Confederacy (that he would obviously never defend, why would you say that) and fighting over the exact meaning of Rothbard's "free market in children" quote.

Goon Danton fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 14, 2016

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm mainlining those sweet jrod posts now. I just got to the part where he posts a Lew Rockwell article from noted Southern Revanchist and poo poo historian, Thomas DiLorenzan. Did I mention a few posts up that white supremacy, segregationism, and libertarianism are hopelessly entangled in modern politics? Because it seems our old pal jrodefeld gets all his history from white supremacists.

The book jrod uses to source his anti-Lincoln arguments is universally regarded by actual historians as one of the shittiest books of history ever written.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

I'm mainlining those sweet jrod posts now. I just got to the part where he posts a Lew Rockwell article from noted Southern Revanchist and poo poo historian, Thomas DiLorenzan. Did I mention a few posts up that white supremacy, segregationism, and libertarianism are hopelessly entangled in modern politics? Because it seems our old pal jrodefeld gets all his history from white supremacists.

The book jrod uses to source his anti-Lincoln arguments is universally regarded by actual historians as one of the shittiest books of history ever written.

To be entirely honest, I've been sorta hoping he'll cluelessly cite Alexander Stephens' A Constitutional View of the Late War Between the States. It'd be only somewhat more ridiculous and dishonest than what he usually does, after all.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

To be entirely honest, I've been sorta hoping he'll cluelessly cite Alexander Stephens' A Constitutional View of the Late War Between the States. It'd be only somewhat more ridiculous and dishonest than what he usually does, after all.

I figure he'll probably have graduated to Mein Kampf by the time he's worked up the courage to show his face on SA again.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm sure he's very busy selling bootleg Blu-Ray movies or whatever his job was.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Who What Now posted:

I'm sure he's very busy selling bootleg Blu-Ray movies or whatever his job was.

I thought he said his job was being Professionally Handsome and Cool?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
No that's just his hobby. He pays the bills by torrenting Hong Kong action films and burning them onto discs.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Who What Now posted:

No that's just his hobby. He pays the bills by torrenting Hong Kong action films and burning them onto discs.

You have to be making GBS threads me. That makes this way more hilarious than it should be. Was just randomly googling his username to see if he was active on other forums while he was laying low and that was the first result.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Who What Now posted:

you gotta be kidding

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
First result when I googled his name was his Reddit profile, which was only used to spam links to his Facebook group where he sells Blu-Rays. I'm surmising the particulars of how his "business" works, but going by his views of how intellectual property works I have no doubt he doesn't pay for distribution rights for the movies he sells.

But this is probably getting a little Helldump-y some I'm not going to dig any deeper.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Googling that title just gave me page after page of glowing reviews talking about how Vital and Important it is to understanding the real purpose of the Constitution. Googling the author's name paints a slightly different picture. :heritage:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Nolanar posted:

Googling that title just gave me page after page of glowing reviews talking about how Vital and Important it is to understanding the real purpose of the Constitution. Googling the author's name paints a slightly different picture. :heritage:

Yeah, it's kinda my go-to example of Confederate hypocrisy about the cause of the war where you've got their loving VP giving a huge-rear end speech about how slavery was the reason they seceded (and is totally awesome you guys), then after the war he writes this big-rear end tome about how wouldn't you just know it the whole thing was an abstract constitutional dispute (which the South was totally right about) and nothing else.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Who What Now posted:

First result when I googled his name was his Reddit profile, which was only used to spam links to his Facebook group where he sells Blu-Rays. I'm surmising the particulars of how his "business" works, but going by his views of how intellectual property works I have no doubt he doesn't pay for distribution rights for the movies he sells.

But this is probably getting a little Helldump-y some I'm not going to dig any deeper.

hk films are a weird thing already im entirely unsurprised that's what he decided to pirate for money

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Who What Now posted:

Yeah, wasn't ever planning on linking that but if true it was too good to pass up how he will completely abandon any pretense of principle when it does not operate in his favor. It is an attempt to legitimize personal greed and nothing more.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Caros posted:

Well you see only individuals can own property because....

If only individuals can own property, we must ban corporations and destroy capitalism in the name of property rights. :colbert:

Also the fact that jrodefeld sells stolen poo poo for a living is absolutely perfect.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 14, 2016

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Is man not entitled to the sweat of his torrents?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

I figure he'll probably have graduated to Mein Kampf by the time he's worked up the courage to show his face on SA again.

You mean when he finds time to set aside from being super handsome and successful and so like awesome guys, you have no idea. He can't post pictures of himself or talk about his life because if he did none of us would ever talk to a woman ever again because they'd all be his.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

"You have an inalienable right to choose your associates!"

"The government telling you who you have to serve at your business is Communism!"

"The only rights are Property Rights!"

"There should be a thriving free market for children!"

"Lincoln was a tyrant and an aggressor who sought to destroy the legitimate Constitution of the United States!"

"Hey, when did all these White Supremacists get here?"

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Woolie Wool posted:

If only individuals can own property, we must ban corporations and destroy capitalism in the name of property rights. :colbert:

Also the fact that jrodefeld sells stolen poo poo for a living is absolutely perfect.

I think he's said he doesn't believe in intellectual property rights.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I think he's said he doesn't believe in intellectual property rights.

The thought there is that if you invent something but somebody else can make it more cheaply they deserve to be the one making it.

Which completely ignores the fact that inventing something in the first place takes time and money.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
You can't, like, own ideas, maaaaaaaaaaaaaan.

*takes hit of what jrod thinks is a joint but is actually just oregano*

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Surprisingly enough, the one area in which property isn't sacrosanct is the one where the rich aren't able to monopolize the means of production.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Mornacale posted:

Surprisingly enough, the one area in which property isn't sacrosanct is the one where the rich aren't able to monopolize the means of production.

Show me how to stick my dick in mix my labor with intellectual property, and maybe we'll consider protecting it. Preferably using a watermelon as the model of choice.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Sure there's been a lot of great jrodefeld moments in recent times, but none of them will ever beat how Jrodefeld Classic (tm) would reply to every post in a thread one by one but skip over the ones that had solid arguments, removing all pretense that he was remotelt arguing in good faith. Also generally complaining about the one liners during this "just pretending attempts at legitimate debate don't exist."

Igiari
Sep 14, 2007
I liked his all time speed record for opinion reversal (and possible first ever brush with empathy?) when he went:

Jrod: All government employees are bad and shouldn't have their jobs.
Someone: But what if you were offered a high paying government job?
Jrod: Oh. Well, hm, maybe they're not ALL bad...

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

That is to be contrasted with the actual government worker who posted here about doing [unambiguously good and helpful thing], and JRod brushed them off as "yeah, you're a parasite on society. Should have joined a non-government group instead!"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The thought there is that if you invent something but somebody else can make it more cheaply they deserve to be the one making it.
Only a vertically integrated monopoly that controls the entire industry should be making anything. Sounds like libertarianism.

archangelwar posted:

Yeah, wasn't ever planning on linking that but if true it was too good to pass up how he will completely abandon any pretense of principle when it does not operate in his favor. It is an attempt to legitimize personal greed and nothing more.
This too.

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug

Halloween Jack posted:

Only a vertically integrated monopoly that controls the entire industry should be making anything. Sounds like libertarianism.

Unless it's a government-owned vertically integrated monopoly. Then any wealth it creates is totally illusory.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Nolanar posted:

That is to be contrasted with the actual government worker who posted here about doing [unambiguously good and helpful thing], and JRod brushed them off as "yeah, you're a parasite on society. Should have joined a non-government group instead!"

That was one of the few times I got legitimately pissed off at Jrod, it was just so loving lovely of him. After being hammered on the point that he was dehumanizing an actual person right then and there the best he could do was say, "Well, you probably aren't literally Hitler, so you're One Of The Good OnesTM". It was almost word for word the exact same things a racist would say about and to a black person.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Jrod, and many other people, have a twisted view of governments, where everything is done by powerful, shapeless enemies. Governments are basically just a bunch of regular rear end people hired to do a variety of different types of jobs. Those people sometimes work for the government for a long time, some only a short time. Some people move from the private sector to the public sector, or vice versa. Some people transition like that several times in their careers. Most people don't think there is anything really that special about it! It's just another job, after all.

I've worked for several different governments at various times in my life. Everything I was tasked to do was limited and directed by a range of applicable laws that were passed democratically, or by a group of regulations and rules determined by administrative or legal bodies appointed by democratically elected representatives.

When Libertarians refer to "The Government" or "The State" doing something, they are abstracting away observable reality in order to confuse people. The Government is just people doing their jobs, as directed by the voting populace.

Grand Theft Autobot fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Cross posting from the Oregon Occupation thread, a screenshot taken from a chat for the occupiers' live stream.

Argument looks mighty familiar.