Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

shootforit posted:

Is there anyone out there with anecdotal evidence about getting the best possible wifi speeds/strength with ATT Uverse? I am supposed to have up to 25mbps download speed, but even standing right next to the router, the highest it has tested is 16mbps.

I am new to the wifi hardware/settings game, and could use a starting point.

Pretty much what I know is that I would need an upgraded router that supports 802.11ac.

Is that a setting that I can change on my current ISP provided router/modem?

Thanks

Just as a sanity check, what happens with a direct Ethernet connection? You may be getting shafted on speeds from the very start, since they're already saying "up to 25" instead of "25".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
That could also be the case. I would also try copying a file locally and compare the kind of speeds you're getting.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
All residential service is "up to". If you want guaranteed bandwidth it's a whole lot more than 50-70 USD a month.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Panty Saluter posted:

All residential service is "up to". If you want guaranteed bandwidth it's a whole lot more than 50-70 USD a month.

Nah, providers over real fiber and providers over standard cable regularly overprovide compared to advertised speeds:
https://www.fcc.gov/general/measuring-broadband-america

The ones who actually don't provide are DSL probiders and AT&T U-Verse Fiber to the node service (and similar services).

If Comcast or Cox sells you 25 megabit, you can expect to get 25 or better. When a DSL provider or U-Verse sells you 25, they actually are serious about "up to" rather than "at".

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
It's still not guaranteed bandwidth. Some providers can keep you at or near your cap better than others but it is not guaranteed.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Panty Saluter posted:

It's still not guaranteed bandwidth. Some providers can keep you at or near your cap better than others but it is not guaranteed.

The cable and fiber companies have deliberately stopped their old thing of saying "we have up to x speed" in favor of dropping their advertised speeds to what they know they can provide. If you want to be nitpicky, business connections aren't strictly guaranteed either.

If you have any of the major cable or real fiber ISPs, years of reliable data shows that they provide what they promise barring unusual circumstances, and in fact usually overprovide. Meanwhile DSL and FTTN services like U-Verse consistently underprovide - and the underproviders are the ones who trot out the "it's only up to x" ads.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Overprovisioning is not guaranteed. It's still TDMA and will not provide top bandwidth to all customers simultaneously. The subscriber agreements are still quite clear that there is no guarantee.

Actual dedicated bandwidth requires building strictly for one customer. Not many people (and a lot of businesses) have it because they don't need it and the cost is outrageous if you don't.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Panty Saluter posted:

Overprovisioning is not guaranteed. It's still TDMA and will not provide top bandwidth to all customers simultaneously. The subscriber agreements are still quite clear that there is no guarantee.

Actual dedicated bandwidth requires building strictly for one customer. Not many people (and a lot of businesses) have it because they don't need it and the cost is outrageous if you don't.

Sure, but it actually does overdeliver almost all the time, and only getting your advertised speed is the worst case scenario for modern cable customers, who aren't on the lowest performing ISPs.

If you have cable, you shouldn't expect that the cause of routinely slow speeds is the cable provider versus something wrong with the modem/router you're using. It's the opposite with DSL and U-Verse type setups - over there the average provided speed as a percentage of promised is routinely as low as 60%-70%.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Yes, and it's still not dedicated bandwidth. Treating it as such is only asking for heartache.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Panty Saluter posted:

Yes, and it's still not dedicated bandwidth. Treating it as such is only asking for heartache.

For all intents and purposes, it functions as such for the vast majority of cable and fiber customers these days.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

fishmech posted:

For all intents and purposes, it functions as such for the vast majority of cable and fiber customers these days.

No it doesn't. It functions as a well built shared bandwidth system. Expecting to get 100% bandwidth 100% of the time is willful naivete.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Panty Saluter posted:

No it doesn't. It functions as a well built shared bandwidth system. Expecting to get 100% bandwidth 100% of the time is willful naivete.

According to the FCC's extensive dataset, it happens on most of the cable companies and all of the fiber to the premises companies, and has been consistently happening for years on end. Seriously, check out their data, it's pretty robust.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Anyone have any tips for FIOS at new construction? One off build that they dont have the address as showing in-service, but the house both left and right do. Any suggestions for how to get in touch with "engineering" (which is about all that google can tell me)

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

fishmech posted:

According to the FCC's extensive dataset, it happens on most of the cable companies and all of the fiber to the premises companies, and has been consistently happening for years on end. Seriously, check out their data, it's pretty robust.

"most of the time" and "one most connections" is not the same thing as contractually guaranteed. Read the fine print of your service agreement and you will see what I mean. Most residential connections are pretty good these days, but they are not dedicated circuits. If everyone on your headend/uplink/street/whatever tried to max out their connections at the same time they wouldn't be able to. Fiber might be an exception but cable and DSL are certainly not.

Antillie fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 15, 2016

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Oh good, an argument where both sides know what the other side actually means, but the participants want to argue about what the other side should mean.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Is it any surprise one of those people is fishmech?

Walked posted:

Anyone have any tips for FIOS at new construction? One off build that they dont have the address as showing in-service, but the house both left and right do. Any suggestions for how to get in touch with "engineering" (which is about all that google can tell me)

This one may just come down to patience. If your address isn't in the system yet, the lowest rung on the tech support chain is probably not going to be of much help. Probably the best thing you can do is to keep climbing the customer support ladder until you get someone in engineering.

How new is the house? Have you moved in or is there still work being done? In either case, they'll probably have to run a new line, so you may have to wait awhile even if you do get a hold of the right person who can help you.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

xergm posted:

Is it any surprise one of those people is fishmech?

This one may just come down to patience. If your address isn't in the system yet, the lowest rung on the tech support chain is probably not going to be of much help. Probably the best thing you can do is to keep climbing the customer support ladder until you get someone in engineering.

How new is the house? Have you moved in or is there still work being done? In either case, they'll probably have to run a new line, so you may have to wait awhile even if you do get a hold of the right person who can help you.

I actually just hit them on twitter and managed to get straight to the engineering team. It was an offhand attempt, but worked. The neighbors all have fios availability, and its a one-off build so the street is already good to go.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Awesome! I always forget about the Twitter option. It's probably the one thing that would finally get me to make a Twitter account.

I guess since anything posted there is public companies tend to bend over backward when it comes to customer support over Twitter.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Thermopyle posted:

Oh good, an argument where both sides know what the other side actually means, but the participants want to argue about what the other side should mean.

I agreed that perfomance is very good, but my point is that it's not dedicated. That's still worth keeping in mind because you are not guaranteed to have full throughput even though some people want to think that they should. It's all about realistic expectations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Panty Saluter posted:

I agreed that perfomance is very good, but my point is that it's not dedicated. That's still worth keeping in mind because you are not guaranteed to have full throughput even though some people want to think that they should. It's all about realistic expectations.

Yes, everyone understood your point. Even fishmech.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Well y'all have a real funny way of showing it.... :v:

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Switched back to Rogers (250u package) from Teksavvy. Here's hoping that the CRTC adjusts the rates to allow TPIA providers to offer these sorts of speeds in the future.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
What modem/router are you using? I have a Ubee DDW36C, and apparently it suffers really bad bufferbloat.

Now I don't know how big a deal this actually is - at least not for us since we don't really do a lot of time-sensitive stuff online. My wife plays MMORPGs from time to time but I don't think that I'm ever slamming the connection (pretty much the only time that ever happens is with a Steam download) at the same time. I'd like to improve that figure but it doesn't seem like there are any wired QoS settings in this gateway. Lord knows even with a maxed connection web browsing doesn't seem to suffer so there must be SOME QoS. I wonder if the test artificially provokes bufferbloat for absolute worst-case scenario.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.
The modem is a Hitron CGN3ACSMR in bridge mode, and the router is an Edgerouter Lite. You could try putting your gateway into bridge mode and see if that improves it.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Santa Cruz, CA is doing municipal fiber to the home. (Second article)

Instead of doing fiber to the rich-person neighborhoods they seem to be doing fiber to every household. Interesting to see what happens, besides it raising the rents even more as people from Silicon Valley get to work from home instead of commuting up to San Jose.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Rukus posted:

The modem is a Hitron CGN3ACSMR in bridge mode, and the router is an Edgerouter Lite. You could try putting your gateway into bridge mode and see if that improves it.

I might just break out my RT-N56U and try that. Last I knew the wireless portion was being funky but that may have been driver issues with the (identical) PCI WWAN adapters I was using.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Rukus posted:

Switched back to Rogers (250u package) from Teksavvy. Here's hoping that the CRTC adjusts the rates to allow TPIA providers to offer these sorts of speeds in the future.

Same, altho I can never get higher than 11 up; I might call and ask about it since I upload video.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK

Naples, FL Comcast

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Boston, with RCN. Only $57/month too, with local cable channels and HBO.

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 23, 2016

Vaxine
Apr 3, 2005
Just had a new FTTH connection put in. Pretty pleased with the results s far.

Vaxine fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jan 23, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Thanks for notifying me, Comcast:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm switching from Comcast to CenturyLink tomorrow. Got a good deal and it comes with PRISM TV (not that I will use it.

Comcast gives me up to 250 MBp/s but it gets throttled really bad most nights around 7pm when everyone else gets home.
Century is giving me a 40 fiber line for a little less money but it's not a shared pipe. In all honesty, I don't need blazing speed because I'm okay waiting a bit for a game to download or whatever. I have books to read.

Anyone have experience with CenturyLink fiber and anything I should look out for?

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.
While it's nothing like many of the speeds posted here, I just moved to 100mbit cable with Telstra instead of the various ADSL2 connections I've had over the past few years. I was not at all excited about going with Telstra, but I lucked out and they finished a major exchange upgrade with all new equipment for my area the day I got my connection. Pulling 110mbit from Usenet after years of 5-15mbit is so, so nice. The 2mbit upload is still super lovely, but 100% faster than the 1mbit I had with ADSL. And my area is going to HFC NBN here shortly, so hopefully I'll have 100/40 as an option in the next year.

I'm not sure anything faster than 100mbit would really be all that useful here in Oz anyway, considering our international links likely can't handle it, especially during the evening peak.

I Like Jell-O
May 19, 2004
I really do.

Inzombiac posted:

I'm switching from Comcast to CenturyLink tomorrow. Got a good deal and it comes with PRISM TV (not that I will use it.

Comcast gives me up to 250 MBp/s but it gets throttled really bad most nights around 7pm when everyone else gets home.
Century is giving me a 40 fiber line for a little less money but it's not a shared pipe. In all honesty, I don't need blazing speed because I'm okay waiting a bit for a game to download or whatever. I have books to read.

Anyone have experience with CenturyLink fiber and anything I should look out for?

Comcast doesn't throttle. If your speeds are dropping every night, it probably means there is a problem with the website you're connecting to (YouTube is pretty bad for that), your modem or router is old (it should be an 8X4 DOCSIS 3 modem at the very least, 5GHz on the wireless is best), or a local (node) capacity issue. The first issue is usually out of Comcast's control, the second issue can be easily fixed by picking up a new modem, and the third problem isn't all that common in most areas anymore. If it is a node issue, its probably not super easy to fix, but you should call up and schedule a tech visit just to get the ball rolling.

If CenturyLink is only offering you 40 Mbits, its not a fiber line to your house, its probably bonded ADSL with FTTN. You likely won't get nearly as fast of service as Comcast can offer, especially because the TV steals some of the bandwidth when its being used. In my area CenturyLink is worse than Comcast everywhere except where they've deployed actual FTTH, which isn't in very many places.

All that being said, if the service meets your needs and is cheaper, go for it. In a thread about fast internet speed, though, I feel obligated to point out that even advanced DSL doesn't really compete with modern cable or fiber.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The tech came out, saw how bizarre my very old house was at and just sighed.

We talked for an hour about how they could set it up, I talked to one of their HQ techs about the service and decided to cancel it.
I didn't want the poor guy crawling across insulation on joists just because the salesman was wrong about what the setup would entail.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Inzombiac posted:

We talked for an hour about how they could set it up, I talked to one of their HQ techs about the service and decided to cancel it.
I didn't want the poor guy crawling across insulation on joists just because the salesman was wrong about what the setup would entail.

The guy is paid to do work and he didn't want to do the work so he convinced you to cancel the job.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Thermopyle posted:

The guy is paid to do work and he didn't want to do the work so he convinced you to cancel the job.

Incorrect but thanks for insulting my intelligence.
It ultimately came down to me running the cost vs. service against my current plan. Plus the potential damage caused to a rental house owned by a grumpy old man.

I called Comcast, let them know that I now have options to switch and they gave me a good deal.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Incorrect but thanks for insulting my intelligence.
It ultimately came down to me running the cost vs. service against my current plan. Plus the potential damage caused to a rental house owned by a grumpy old man.

I called Comcast, let them know that I now have options to switch and they gave me a good deal.

Inzombiac posted:

We talked for an hour about how they could set it up, I decided to cancel it.

I didn't want the poor guy crawling across insulation on joists.

yeah, you didn't say that in your first post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.

• Locked thread