Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's a good card but this set is going to get opened a shitload

E: I'll just get 4 of it, but for my money I'd buy up all the Sea Gate Wreckages I could right now.

Only fools rush in and all that, but Kozilek's Return is one of the most obviously powerful cards in a good while - everyone knows what it's meant to be compared to, and it's got an absolutely bonkers "flashback" effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

alansmithee posted:

Will it? The expedition list this time isn't nearly as impressive, with Wasteland standing far above the others. I think currently the second most expensive one is Eye of Ugin which is going about half.

I could be underestimating the chase crowd, but minus the heavily playable lands in the BFZ expeditions I could see it not being as big a deal. That said, I think the actual rares/mythics are a step above this time so that could make a difference (only really Gideon and Newlamog seem to have any value from BFZ, iirc).

Same thing I was thinking. The fetches were as about as good of a chase card as they could have printed with expeditions being a new and shiny thing. These expeditions will be sought after but it seems unlikely to have the same demand.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

alansmithee posted:

Will it? The expedition list this time isn't nearly as impressive, with Wasteland standing far above the others. I think currently the second most expensive one is Eye of Ugin which is going about half.

I could be underestimating the chase crowd, but minus the heavily playable lands in the BFZ expeditions I could see it not being as big a deal. That said, I think the actual rares/mythics are a step above this time so that could make a difference (only really Gideon and Newlamog seem to have any value from BFZ, iirc).

Horizon canopy should be pretty expensive too

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Niton posted:

Only fools rush in and all that, but Kozilek's Return is one of the most obviously powerful cards in a good while - everyone knows what it's meant to be compared to, and it's got an absolutely bonkers "flashback" effect.

I mean, I don't know that I would agree with that - Gideon is straight-forwardly good in pretty much any deck playing white with creatures.

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's a good card but this set is going to get opened a shitload

E: I'll just get 4 of it, but for my money I'd buy up all the Sea Gate Wreckages I could right now.

I bet you the set is not opened a ton at all.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 15, 2016

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean, I don't know that I would agree with that - Gideon is straight-forwardly good in pretty much any deck playing white with creatures.

That's why I say one of, yeah. I think the card has a very high ceiling, because 5 toughness is a very specific number that matches up really well with modern's most ubiquitous creatures.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Niton posted:

That's why I say one of, yeah. I think the card has a very high ceiling, because 5 toughness is a very specific number that matches up really well with modern's most ubiquitous creatures.

It being colourless and instant are probably the most significant things about it: colourless means it'll be a big Stirring's target, instant means it could work well as an instant speed option in Twin that kills Auriok and Etched Champions.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Have we ever discussed opinions on the Limited Resources podcast?

I for one love LSV and Marshall

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Gridlocked posted:

Controversial opinions abound in this thread!

I hate limited and I still listen to LR.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

The rules episode for Oath was kinda not great. Some pre written lines might have helped them out there because without them there was some awkward and confusing phrasing. Like, "Wastes is a new land type... but it doesn't have a type." and stuff like that.

Admiral
Dec 14, 2000

If you see this man, slap him in the nuts for me.

Lancelot posted:

"hmm, first run printing..." *sniffs card deeply* "...opened in australia..." *waggles card past ear* "...stored at optimal humidity..." *runs finger along length of card and touches his fingertip delicately to the tip of his tongue "...and played in three SCG tournaments, top 8'ing once."

Australia, and optimal humidity?

Not possible.

This is foil bending land, son.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Gridlocked posted:

I like LSV a lot but I thought Brian Wong was better.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Gridlocked posted:

It's real good I just got back into magic 6 months ago and I've won ~80% of my matches drafting bfz thanks to listening to old episodes of the show

mcmagic posted:

I like LSV a lot but I thought Brian Wong was better.

I don't know who I like better but Brian was real good.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Legacy cube is broken. They took out all the mana rocks. Mono red best deck. Kenji has been drafting red nonstop all day, I just did my first draft, rd 1 as mono red, win. Thragtusk? What use is that when I have skullcrack. To stronk.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Melissa deTora has a really funny article about why she ruined the Cube for no reason.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Apparently Gaby Spartz is now doing official coverage commentating. LSV talks her up but I have never watched her content. Is she any good or are we getting Randy 2.0?

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Skyl3lazer posted:

Too bad his comparison were to two of the worst draft sets ever released. I'm not saying OOB will be good, but oath is going to be more opened than those two sets combined. He also forgets expeditions exist, which means even in a set like BFZ where's there's one good mythic, it's going to be available at 20-25$ in a month or two even if there's 0 other money cards.

Avacyn Restored was opened a hell of a lot though, despite the draft format stinking. Beginning of 2013 it was the third most sold set, after Return to Ravnica and Innistrad (source). It was a big set with a theme that apparently resonated well with the casual crowd, which is a lot bigger factor for sales than any quality of the limited format. For DGM I'd say the fact that it's simply the last small set of a full block draft format and thus opened the least from the sets in the block was much more relevant factor in DGM card prices than the format quality too.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Gridlocked posted:

Apparently Gaby Spartz is now doing official coverage commentating. LSV talks her up but I have never watched her content. Is she any good or are we getting Randy 2.0?

She is actually good at talking - she's not a pro level player, but she has a higher level understanding of the game than easily 95% of the people who watch streams, and speaks clearly and intelligibly.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Gridlocked posted:

She is far more aware of the game state and the relevant cards and matchups than Randy.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Gridlocked posted:

Check her streams if you get the chance and decide for yourself.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

I figure she'll treat it like an actual job and do research and try rather than Randy, who I enjoy for vintage and stuff.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Gridlocked posted:

I started listening during the Wong era, but LSV is pretty good. He has a tendency to let Marshall do all the talking, and Marshall will talk forever if you let him. They both know their stuff though, and they're good at explaining things. The set review shows are always quality.

Constructed Resources never seemed to be much good though. I think Marshall bit off more than he could chew with that, and I don't think EFro really has his heart in it. It had a rough start and never quite figured out what it really wanted to do as a show. I haven't listened to it in a couple months, maybe it got better? I think Constructed is just fundamentally a lot hard to cover in the same depth as LR covers Limited, no matter how good the hosts.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Gridlocked posted:

I've only recently added it to my commute podcast rotation, but its enjoyable if you like those guys. It has some problems (Marshall's 'durr what would you do here lsv?' thing that works great in coverage is not quite what you wanna hear in a podcast, and most of the time one of them is like 'I like this card, because it provides value' and the other is like 'same') but they are two people I like to listen to, so.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Angry Grimace posted:

Melissa deTora has a really funny article about why she ruined the Cube for no reason.

I kinda agreed with her idea of nerfing mana rocks but I'm watching Nummy too and monoR is wide open and unbeatable right now.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Why is Carrier Thrall in the Legacy Cube? That card is not powerful enough to see play in BFZ draft - it definitely doesn't have the power level to match other cards and has very little synergy with anything else I'm seeing.

e: althought I tried drafting Splinter Twin, got cut, switched to reanimator, and now I'm in four color nothings with Unburial Rites and Makeshift Mannequin as my only reanimation spells so maybe I'm just loving terrible and god drat I should have just first picked the Gore-House Chainwalker.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 15, 2016

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Gridlocked posted:

She's okay streaming. Thing about commentating is the chemistry between the cohosts though.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Hellsau posted:

She is far more aware of the game state and the relevant cards and matchups than Randy.

Yay!

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Gaby will be great. I'm really happy that WotC is making an effort to get new blood in the commentating booth because they really need to push Randy and Rashad out a high window. BDM can stay as long as he's relegated to interviews with Japanese pro players where the translator ends up really confused.

BTW, the LR set review is up. It's nearly 5 hours.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Lancelot posted:

Gaby will be great. I'm really happy that WotC is making an effort to get new blood in the commentating booth because they really need to push Randy and Rashad out a high window. BDM can stay as long as he's relegated to interviews with Japanese pro players where the translator ends up really confused.

They need to find a Sullivan or Görtzen (obviously another Sullivan is unlikely). A lapsed pro that'll actually be informative in their commentary (Marshall's a play-by-play guy), that's willing to do this on a semi regular basis. My guess is that most of those willing would also be more expensive than Wotc is interested in.

e:Getting Ian Duke on PTs was a (great) move in the right direction.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Lancelot posted:

BTW, the LR set review is up. It's nearly only 5 hours.

Thank god, a short one!

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

What is the cheapest place I can buy full art lands from en masse?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

If anyone cares, apparently Trick can't even get the really basic stuff right. Yet another gently caress up in short order, though a bit more minor. Still amused me.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Rinkles posted:

They need to find a Sullivan or Görtzen (obviously another Sullivan is unlikely). A lapsed pro that'll actually be informative in their commentary (Marshall's a play-by-play guy), that's willing to do this on a semi regular basis. My guess is that most of those willing would also be more expensive than Wotc is interested in.

e:Getting Ian Duke on PTs was a (great) move in the right direction.

Yeah, agreed, Ian Duke is great and really personable. LSV is great as a colour commentator but he's still trying to compete in PTs, so we only see him when he inevitably doesn't make top 8.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Shadow225 posted:

What is the cheapest place I can buy full art lands from en masse?

If you just want a pretty even spread of the BFZ ones, i think you can still find fatpacks of oath for around $45,

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Ramos posted:

If anyone cares, apparently Trick can't even get the really basic stuff right. Yet another gently caress up in short order, though a bit more minor. Still amused me.

You wouldn't steal a car company logo

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Ban announcement speculation? I'm hoping to see sword of the meek come off for purely selfish reasons. I think the announcement will actually be "no changes"

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Molybdenum posted:

Ban announcement speculation? I'm hoping to see sword of the meek come off for purely selfish reasons. I think the announcement will actually be "no changes"

I could see either Summer Bloom, Amulet or Ensnaring Bridge get the cut, but I don't think we'll actually see any change.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Lancelot posted:

Perfect timing for my 5 hours of flights tomorrow!

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Molybdenum posted:

I don't think anything's going to get banned.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

mfcrocker posted:

I don't think anything's going to get banned.

I'm pretty sure they will make changes. They like shaking things up before the Modern Pro Tour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I feel like there'll be no changes but I could see a few things eating a ban.

Summer Bloom, or Amulet, or Simian Spirit Guide maybe.

It's probably a safe bet that nothing's getting un-banned though.

• Locked thread