Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cnut the Great posted:

The interesting thing about the Separatists is their droids. Because the Separatists are supposed to be the Republic's individualistic, organic, Dionysian id, and yet they make use of a centrally controlled army of mechanical soldiers.

But the funny thing is, this actually makes sense: Since the nature of the Droid Army is contrary to the Separatists' own fundamental nature , it represents a weak point which can be exploited. And indeed that's how the Trade Federation is defeated in Episode I, and how their successors the Separatists are defeated in Episode III: their droid army is shut down in one fell swoop after the central command system controlling them becomes compromised (ironically, both times by Anakin Skywalker).

Similarly, the communitarian, utilitarian, Apollonian superego of the Republic, represented by the Loyalist government, somewhat paradoxically makes use of an army of organic clones whose main benefit is in their ability to act creatively as individuals. This clone army ends up being the Loyalists' weak point just as the droids ended up being the Separatists'. Because the clones were individuals, the Jedi came to genuinely trust them and consider them their friends. This ends up being the downfall of the democratic Loyalists, as their last champions, the Jedi Knights, are gunned down by their comrades after a verbal command from Darth Sidious turns the clones unexpectedly into automatons.

It all ties into the concept of yin and yang, represented by the taijitu symbol:

Both the Separatists and the Loyalists contain contradictions within themselves, just as yin contains yang and yang contains yin. This is actually a good thing, because it gives each faction an edge over the other. Thus, neither one can ever fully dominate, and balance is maintained between them.

In Episode I, the balance of the universe has not yet been upset. Both factions still contain contradictions. The Naboo, representing the Apollonian faction of the Republic, nevertheless utilize starships with distinctly Dionysian (artistic, organic) design sensibilities:

Likewise, the Trade Federation, representing the Dionysian faction of the Republic, nevertheless utilize starship with distinctly Apollonian (technological, utilitarian) design sensibilities:

Neither side deals in absolutes. Everything is balanced.

But then the war comes, and suddenly the balanced, complementary symbol of the taijitu is twisted into an absolutist dichotomy with one rigid dividing line between absolute light and absolute dark:

Thus the Loyalists reject the Dionysian aesthetic of the Naboo and instead adopt the aesthetic of the Trade Federation, becoming fully Apollonian in the process:

By the time of Episode III, we see that both sides have now morphed into absolutist caricatures of themselves. The Apollonian Loyalists now utilize starships with increasingly Apollonian design sensibilities...

...and the Dionysian Separatists now utilize starships with increasingly Dionysian design sensibilities:

By the end of Episode III, the Separatists have been conquered, replaced by Dionysian Rebels with Dionysian starships...

...and the Apollonian Loyalists have been usurped, replaced by Apollonian Imperials with Apollonian starships:

It's the same old conflict being waged between the same two absolutist factions--only now the Dionysians are the virtuous ones and the Apollonians the wicked ones, whereas before the inverse was true. Despite the inherent virtue of their cause, the Rebels' struggle is doomed to fail so long as they strive to overpower and replace their enemies with the use of force. Something else must happen in order for peace and justice to truly prevail.

And so it isn't until Darth Vader/Anakin Skyalker--the half-mechanical/half-organic, half-Apollonian/half-Dionysian being--restores balance to the universe by destroying Sidious--the cancerous sower of discord between Apollo and Dionysus--that the absolutist factions of Rebel and Empire can be dissolved, and the galaxy once again united in the complementary, non-absolutist form of the taijitu.

Anyway, I know all this may sound kind out of "out there" to some people, but it's actually straight out of Nietzsche's The Birth of Tragedy:

While it's almost certain that Lucas himself has read Nietzsche, it's also worth nothing that Nietzsche was a huge and central influence on Joseph Campbell's The Hero with a Thousand Faces and on Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey--both being, of course, huge influences on George Lucas and on Star Wars in particular.

And, of course, the contradictions are still there, just unacknowledged, in the Empire and Rebels. The Apollonians of the Empire conceive of ulmate power as being in the form of fear. The Dionysiac Rebels conceive of their struggle against the Empire as winnable through the accumulation of weapons. I guess TFA draws upon that weakly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
To me it's all about how bland and homogeneous the Republic forces are----all the Jedi are wearing the same loving outfit blech------vs the neverending variety of bosses who appear on the Separatist side, from Durge to that stupid blue guy with the six shooters in Clone Wars. The Separatists absolutely have all the appeal and the doomed glamour of a lost cause fighting against overwhelming odds

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Just gently caress the new movie though, gently caress that

Soggy Cereal
Jan 8, 2011

Cnut the Great posted:

It's the same old conflict being waged between the same two absolutist factions--only now the Dionysians are the virtuous ones and the Apollonians the wicked ones, whereas before the inverse was true. Despite the inherent virtue of their cause, the Rebels' struggle is doomed to fail so long as they strive to overpower and replace their enemies with the use of force. Something else must happen in order for peace and justice to truly prevail.

And so it isn't until Darth Vader/Anakin Skyalker--the half-mechanical/half-organic, half-Apollonian/half-Dionysian being--restores balance to the universe by destroying Sidious--the cancerous sower of discord between Apollo and Dionysus--that the absolutist factions of Rebel and Empire can be dissolved, and the galaxy once again united in the complementary, non-absolutist form of the taijitu.

"We can end this destructive conflict, and bring order to the galaxy!"

Excellent post. This dichotomy being brought to an end makes a lot more sense than good and evil itself ending. I think this aesthetic change is why some are confused at the prequels, or don't like them.

Can you talk a little about the state in Episode 1? You said that the Naboo and the Gungans working together was the ideal way of things. What about the rest of the Republic? Was it wrong for the Queen to remove Valorum and help instate Palpatine? It certainly doesn't do anything for Naboo itself in the short term.

If Episode 1 with its Senate reflects a balance between id, ego, and superego, what upset the balance? There was Palpatine, definitely, but there is a lot of dialogue to the effect that he's exploiting existing corruption. Where did this corruption come from? Does it come about naturally or is it avoidable in some way?

Also a question about Palpatine/Sidious's motivation - it seems like he genuinely wants the Trade Federation to have Naboo, get the treaty signed, capture/kill the queen, etc. Would this also have led to his election, or was his original plan to just steamroll the galaxy with an ever-expanding Trade Federation?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I don't know if you noticed this, but Greivous coughs because he is a pair of damaged lungs loosely attached to a metal frame.

You're thinking of RoboCop.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

I found it annoying and ridiculous that after Obi-Wan pries open Grievous's chest to reveal his vital organic components that Grievous just acts surprised, makes the worst noise ever, comes across as embarrassed like he just got his pants pulled down and doesn't immediately like, close it shut again.

Just gets shot in his big stupid heart by an uncivilized weapon.

Kind of like how Qui-Gon gets bopped on the head, acts surprised, and gets shanked. And then Darth Maul gets dunked on, acts surprised, and gets shanked. It's your call whether that pattern is generic or setting-specific or coincidence.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It is an incredibly trivial thing but it always bugged me how in Episode 1 the space blockade is a ring around the planet. That doesn't seem that hard to deal with.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Steve2911 posted:

A good third of those reviews focusses on just how blind and idiotic most of the characters are.

The PT have an Idiot Plot as in a plot that only works because everyone is an idiot.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I don't buy it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I love movies where everyone is an idiot. Cohen Brothers films are great.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The prequels tell the story about how evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Obi-Wan in the prequels is still cooler and smarter than basically all of us

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harime Nui posted:

Obi-Wan in the prequels is still cooler and smarter than basically all of us

This is true only after he cuts off his lovely Padawan Rat-tail.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Thanks, but not happy people are missing my most important post[

Harime Nui posted:

Actually, let's talk a bit about why I won't see Force Awakens

This is why I won't see Force Awakens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pd6yO-jBRo

It's just one theater, right? Well my one ticket for that one theater should mean a lot less. gently caress Disney for this seriously.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Harime Nui posted:

Thanks, but not happy people are missing my most important post

I didn't miss it. Unfortunately, I'd already seen and really enjoyed The Force Awakens. Twice. But rest assured, when I buy the Blu-Ray I'll know to feel really bad for Quentin Tarantino, so there's that, at least.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm at work and can't watch videos, what is it?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Phylodox posted:

I didn't miss it. Unfortunately, I'd already seen and really enjoyed The Force Awakens. Twice. But rest assured, when I buy the Blu-Ray I'll know to feel really bad for Quentin Tarantino, so there's that, at least.

It hurts me because all my friends love this stupid space movie and I'm not good at explaining to them that I hate the company that made the movie----not the director, not the actors, or the prop guys or the FX guys. I'm sure they did a great job and that it's a fun movie, but on moral grounds I have to not watch it until the loving company's not gonna see more than five cents so like 2040.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

This is a really good post.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm at work and can't watch videos, what is it?

Basically, Quentin Tarantino thought he had a deal with the Cinerama Dome theater in L.A that they would screen Star Wars for the first half of the holidays, and his movie would get the weeks after that. However, essentially Disney is so rich and powerful that they didn't have to honor that contract, and they said to the theater "hey, it'd really gently caress you if we pulled Star Wars, better just let us run through the whole holiday season" and the Cinerama Dome company was like "well, poo poo" and so Tarantino's film The Hateful Eight didn't get screened in this theater after its premiere night on December 5th; and you gotta understand Quentin's an L.A boy so to him this Cinerama Dome, which has 70mm film projectors already, is like, his theater, he thinks of it as the big premiere theater, and its run is denied him in his own hometown so Disney can make a few more bucks---I mean this is a fairly arty venue so it is just a fistfull of bucks that's at stake here. It's pathetic, and mean on Disney's part.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Well, good luck not seeing any movies that involve stupid, petty Hollywood fuckery.

Or, to simplify it, movies.

Transferrins
Aug 18, 2014

Soiled Meat

RBA Starblade posted:

It is an incredibly trivial thing but it always bugged me how in Episode 1 the space blockade is a ring around the planet. That doesn't seem that hard to deal with.

Idk if it was their intent but it's easier to get to space from the equator of a planet so that would be the best place to start blocking people in.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Phylodox posted:

Well, good luck not seeing any movies that involve stupid, petty Hollywood fuckery.

Or, to simplify it, movies.

"OH WELL YEAH, ALL STUDIOS DO IT SO" no gently caress that, that's nonsense and horseshit

gently caress this stupid Star Wars 7

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
They didn't have to do this but they basically ruined Quentin Tarantino's christmas. So just as the Vikings got hosed by the hand of God for ruining the christmas of Eli Manning, gently caress these guys.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Transferrins posted:

Idk if it was their intent but it's easier to get to space from the equator of a planet so that would be the best place to start blocking people in.

I know and it's not like it actually matters but even as a kid I saw that and thought "wait a sec".

quote:

Basically, Quentin Tarantino thought he had a deal with the Cinerama Dome theater in L.A that they would screen Star Wars for the first half of the holidays, and his movie would get the weeks after that. However, essentially Disney is so rich and powerful that they didn't have to honor that contract, and they said to the theater "hey, it'd really gently caress you if we pulled Star Wars, better just let us run through the whole holiday season" and the Cinerama Dome company was like "well, poo poo" and so Tarantino's film The Hateful Eight didn't get screened in this theater after its premiere night on December 5th; and you gotta understand Quentin's an L.A boy so to him this Cinerama Dome, which has 70mm film projectors already, is like, his theater, he thinks of it as the big premiere theater, and its run is denied him in his own hometown so Disney can make a few more bucks---I mean this is a fairly arty venue so it is just a fistfull of bucks that's at stake here. It's pathetic, and mean on Disney's part.

Well that's lovely!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I mean its a dick thing to do but is it really a boycottable offense? Disney's probably toppled governments before and had people assassinated and poo poo, this seems like small potatoes.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Won't someone please think of Quentin Tarantino?!?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Basebf555 posted:

I mean its a dick thing to do but is it really a boycottable offense? Disney's probably toppled governments before and had people assassinated and poo poo, this seems like small potatoes.

the difference is Quentin Tarantino is great, not like the government of Urzumbagabagwe or whatever the gently caress

e: kidding, of course! I don't believe Disney has ever toppled an African government and even if it did, that's merely a pastiche of sounds that perhaps evoke Africa to my uneducated Western ear, haha! Everything's in the pokey spirit of light ribbing, folks!

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
70mm for a movie shot entirely indoors wasn't worth the drive.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Phylodox posted:

Won't someone please think of Quentin Tarantino?!?

You have literally never not gone to bat for a Marvel/Disney thing so seriously, here, in this instance, where Disney has blatantly just plain screwed someone over for money, can you find it in yourself, to not be that guy, I says in my movie announcer voice

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Neurolimal posted:

Unfortunately no, that would have been pretty cool though. These were the designs before they realized time was running too thin to make another expressive puppet that could handle Maz's scenes, the finished design plays up her role of observation and advice:

Maz seems paler here than in the movie, where's she straight up looks like a tangerine with eyeballs drawn on. It's a better look.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Cnut the Great posted:

It's a planetary invasion force. You don't attack the capital of a planet first.

Why not? Why not capture the capital and the Head of State right off the bat? Capturing the capital is usually a top priority in war. If you have the means to do it, loving do it. Hell, Panaka flat out says Naboo can't defend themselves anyway.

I'm sorry that RLM says mean things about your favorite movies but they do make some exceptional points.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Not even the RLM Review says anything about the tactical blow-by-blow for the Trade Federation's conquest of Naboo, lol

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Harime Nui posted:

They didn't have to do this but they basically ruined Quentin Tarantino's christmas. So just as the Vikings got hosed by the hand of God for ruining the christmas of Eli Manning, gently caress these guys.

Thanks for reminding me that my team lost in embarrassing fashion in the movies forum of all places, rear end in a top hat!

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
You've got some loving nuts to even say that to a NY fan in 2015

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Wait, where are people getting that they don't invade the capital? The first shot we see of Theed after the invasion, it's crawling with droids.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Harime Nui posted:

You have literally never not gone to bat for a Marvel/Disney thing so seriously, here, in this instance, where Disney has blatantly just plain screwed someone over for money, can you find it in yourself, to not be that guy, I says in my movie announcer voice

You're asking me to, what? Retroactively boycott a movie I've seen twice? Not buy a Blu-Ray of a movie I like? Is it kind of lovely that Disney did that? Okay. But in terms of lovely things people and legal entities have done in Hollywood...this is the last straw for you? Fuckin' seriously?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I am asking you don't make light of this

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Harime Nui posted:

I am asking you don't make light of this

I don't even have to. It makes light of itself. Howard Stern makes light of it right there in the video you posted.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Phylodox posted:

I don't even have to. It makes light of itself. Howard Stern makes light of it right there in the video you posted.

Why do you even think that's okay? the gently caress's wrong with you you don't have enough human sympathy------no, okay, maybe you don't know. The Cinerama Dome is Tarantino's theater. Like, it's his homeground, it's the place where you got to watch his movie debuts so you can talk to him about it and poo poo. Not "his" theater in the sense that it plays Tarantino movies year round but generally it is the one he likes best. But gently caress that if you can make a few dollars more, right?

Like do you even understand what's wrong here? Like, why this is wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Quentin Tarantino is not someone you need to go to bat for.

• Locked thread