Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The dude does post a lot of brawly stuff in his individual mech pages, though (and seems to love using those builds). It's just that yeah, his tier list is based solely on the meta and his variant tier list takes it into account at the top-end (hence the Tier 1 Assault options he has listed). If you're just looking for effective fun, better to look at those individual pages, see if a mech catches your eye, and then cross-reference here.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.
gg on tera therma! washout why dont you ever say hello anymore :(

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
I'm playing with the trial 4x UAC5 King crab and i'm really enjoying it. What should I buy if I want to do lots of UAC5s?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Megafunk posted:

I'm playing with the trial 4x UAC5 King crab and i'm really enjoying it. What should I buy if I want to do lots of UAC5s?

Well, how bout a king crab?

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
I guess? Any more details on the supposed build?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
If youre looking for something that can fit a lot of cannons, kingcrabs come with them built-in (the non-premium ones have 20s though, but 2-3 hardpoints in each arm) and the direwolf has a variant that has 4 in the chest and can fit 2 more in the arms. Depends if youre IS or clan, and how much you wanna spend (stock crab is 10mil vs. 17 on the wolf)

Im by no means qualified to give advise on this game, but thats what i would run if i had a crab an an UAC-fetish:

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jan 15, 2016

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
For that build, I'd suggest ditching the LRMs for more UAC ammo; you're piloting it for the dakka, after all. The engine is a toss-up but an XL360 is hideously expensive so I'd run with a standard instead (you can get away with the stock engine the krab comes in if gearing it puts you in poverty). Even if you lose one torso, you still have 2 UACs to thump with.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Variations are nigh endless on that chassis, 4B-3E-3M is everything you can ask for.

Well, except maybe more room on the 3B arms on the 000-chassis.
Whats the point in 3B if you can fit 3 AC5s?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Don't run LRMs on an Assault. :wtc:

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Whats terrible about preliminary missile strikes?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Because you can use that tonnage for something useful

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

You're basically wasting a ton of potential damage. Your 4 UAC/5s are an amazing loadout that you'll only get a tiny amount of use out of, and most of your rockets will just bounce off the scenery. And in the event that you have a clear line of sight on your target, you should be using your ballistics anyway. You've got the armour to tank hits, so there's no real benefit/need/ability to peek and shoot missiles before running away.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
They do save a fair amount of heat sinks though, and i dont always have LOS.
I dont shoot missiles and run away, i usually fire them at the target before im closing in on.
But then again, i play to have fun and not be the best of the best.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I dont shoot missiles and run away, i usually fire them at the target before im closing in on.

I didn't realise having fun and doing well were mutually exclusive

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Grakkus posted:

I didn't realise having fun and doing well were mutually exclusive

I never said so.
But a build im having with is not necessarily the best available.

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I started goofing around in smurfy, and tried to build a comedy fit. I am wondering...what would this many flamers do if someone got close enough?

DWF-W

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Marshall Louis posted:

I started goofing around in smurfy, and tried to build a comedy fit. I am wondering...what would this many flamers do if someone got close enough?

DWF-W

Didnt flamers used to make you heat up exponentially faster than the enemy? Did they ever fix that?

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Tindahbawx posted:

Didnt flamers used to make you heat up exponentially faster than the enemy? Did they ever fix that?

Have no idea...waiting for someone to weigh in on the subject.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Yolomon Wayne posted:

You don't need heatsinks for a UAC/5 build.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I converted my Direwolf to 3 c-uac5 and 2 c-uac10 and stripped all the heatsinks for ammo last night

Had no issues with heat.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

I would, if i took lassers instead of missiles though.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Anyone have a better idea for a BOAR'S HEAD?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
What you really want on an assault mech is a couple AC2s to shoot down those pesky biplanes on their strafing runs. Spend the rest of your tonnage on ammo and be sure to proudly announce you're keeping the skies clear.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I would, if i took lassers instead of missiles though.

Not really. Your lasers are a backup for when your guns jam. You might need like two or three heatsinks.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
My Ilya Muromets kicks rear end with 3 Uac-5 + 3 Medium Lasers and the rest of the space taken up by ammo. The 10 heatsinks that come with your engine are fine for covering a few laser shots.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

For the KGCs never underestimate the joy you'll get if you can cram even a single LPL into those super high-mount right side energy slots.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

My 000b runs 3 lpl and an ac20, its pretty great tearing open the ct with no damage anywhere else.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

This UI man ... how and where do I equip consumables?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Tindahbawx posted:

This UI man ... how and where do I equip consumables?

Mechlab > Modules, for some reason.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I carry almost double the ammo you do on my 4UAC KC and in a long fight I'll come close-ish to running out. You want to play that build as an intermediate distance support mech. Tuck behind a brawler and never stop holding the fire button once you have LOS on something. If you REALLY want a secondary system ditch the LRM5s for a brace of MLs.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
I run my KGC-0000 asymmetrically with 4x SRM 6s and I feel that is literally the only acceptable usage of the missile quirks for this chassis. It also is a really effective way to get the "Kill Most Damage" for this challenge.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

Quickdraw 4H
yeah its got an XL
yeah its got LRMs
yeah its got cool antenna ears
sooooooooooooooooooo.....

why you always gotta be hatin on my quickdraw :smith:

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Paint job needs more pink

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I have four LRM15s on my timberwolf

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

pubbie spotted

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

ZenVulgarity posted:

I have four LRM15s on my timberwolf

have you considered trying a fun loadout

also i deeply enjoy when my 3ml 2srm4 rvn-3l is top damage

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 15, 2016

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Thanks to me never wanting to drive a Cicada, and having nothing to retrofit - I finally got the AS7-D-DC. Gimme the low down on this mech. Artemis, Endo, DHS... AC/20, 3x SRM6, ECM... Keep the MLas?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

frest posted:

I run my KGC-0000 asymmetrically with 4x SRM 6s and I feel that is literally the only acceptable usage of the missile quirks for this chassis. It also is a really effective way to get the "Kill Most Damage" for this challenge.

Nah, easiest way to drag down those kill most damage points for this challenge is with that KC 0000 sporting 3 LRM15A plus a metric fuckload of ammo and a few heatsinks to offset the fact that the LRMs are in ghost heat territory.

Just lob LRMs everywhere and you'll be the person with the most damage on at least a couple that match. I'm averaging 2 a match with occasional spikes up to 4. Once in a while your team just folds or you get gutted by a light, but it's not nearly as common as you would think.

edit: note also that this is easiest in that you can watch a movie while doing it. Zero brainwork involved. Maybe if you're in a higher tier pubbies are too good at things like "using cover" and "not standing in the middle of a field" but down at 3 at least I'm going to be finished with this challenge tonight with pretty minimal play.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Elliotw2 posted:

have you considered trying a fun loadout

also i deeply enjoy when my 3ml 2srm4 rvn-3l is top damage

It's fun on a trackpad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight
I'm thanking my lucky stars I ground out that Direwolf for this challenge. Realistically, there's no other mech I can think of that will be able to compete once you decide to shoot something. 70 damage on a 2.5 second cooldown is serious hurt. I forget, do solo kills count for the challenge?

• Locked thread