Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

the very first apple store is like a 40 minute drive from me, but there's two or three that are closer. the closest is a 20-30 minute walk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

FMguru posted:

real pros use the one in the stanford shopping center (much less crowded, much shorter lines at the genius bar)

otoh you have to deal with the non euclidian geometries of the ssc parking lot

i can confirm that the ssc parking lot is loving terrible. i haven't visited that store tho, thx for the tip.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

i'd smash it because its ugly nad a waste of money

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
how much money have you lost in apple shares that it has basically made you fully insane cremnob lmao ( as if you were not almost before)

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:
is it possible to have lost money on apple? you would have had to buy at a really dumb time

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
i am sure cremnob kept buying

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

FMguru posted:

real pros use the one in the stanford shopping center (much less crowded, much shorter lines at the genius bar)

otoh you have to deal with the non euclidian geometries of the ssc parking lot

smh if you don't make a reservation before you go and end up waiting in a line like some bum off the street

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

is it possible to have lost money on apple? you would have had to buy at a really dumb time

apple stock has dropped considerably recently (due to incompetent management)

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

thank you Tim

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG_Lv9wf7l0

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

THC posted:

thank you Tim

Nice!

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
oh nice they finally changed the icon for when the music is actually on your phone and it makes sense

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Jeb! is going to tell timb to decrypt iPhones lmao I would pay all of the money to see that face to face.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
:qq: :qq: :qq: :qq:

Apple announced this week that they’ve joined our fight to use technology to improve sleep.
There is a lot to be done. Indeed, workers on the “night shift” have nearly double the lifetime risk of cancer [1], and much of this is believed to be driven by exposure to bright light at the wrong times.
Apple’s involvement in fixing this problem is a big commitment and an important first step.
We’re proud that we are the original innovators and leaders in this area. In our continued work over the last seven years, we have learned how complicated people actually are. The next phase of f.lux is something we cannot wait to ship to the world.
Rather than suggest simple answers, our mission is to enable f.lux to advance the science, while providing customized solutions for each person. We intend to make f.lux better in every way than the app we designed back in 2009.
Today we call on Apple to allow us to release f.lux on iOS, to open up access to the features announced this week, and to support our goal of furthering research in sleep and chronobiology.
As we continue to innovate and improve upon our ideas, we remain hopeful that we will have the opportunity to offer our best, new work to everyone who wants it. We’ve learned that people’s lives, biology, and everyday routines are incredibly, wonderfully different, and these differences must be embraced. There is not one right answer for everyone, so we are committed to making software that’s ever more adaptive and responsive to each individual’s needs.
Thank you for the words of support. We hope you’ll join us in our quest to understand how screens and light affect sleep and in turn, human health.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i dont care if they use fl.xu or do it themselve but I want my iphone orange at nighttime and I hate time coz he's so slow on the uptake of vital services

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

DaNzA posted:

Apple announced this week that they’ve joined our fight to use technology to improve sleep.
There is a lot to be done. Indeed, workers on the “night shift” have nearly double the lifetime risk of cancer [1], and much of this is believed to be driven by exposure to bright light at the wrong times.
Apple’s involvement in fixing this problem is a big commitment and an important first step.
We’re proud that we are the original innovators and leaders in this area. In our continued work over the last seven years, we have learned how complicated people actually are. The next phase of f.lux is something we cannot wait to ship to the world.
Rather than suggest simple answers, our mission is to enable f.lux to advance the science, while providing customized solutions for each person. We intend to make f.lux better in every way than the app we designed back in 2009.
Today we call on Apple to allow us to release f.lux on iOS, to open up access to the features announced this week, and to support our goal of furthering research in sleep and chronobiology.
As we continue to innovate and improve upon our ideas, we remain hopeful that we will have the opportunity to offer our best, new work to everyone who wants it. We’ve learned that people’s lives, biology, and everyday routines are incredibly, wonderfully different, and these differences must be embraced. There is not one right answer for everyone, so we are committed to making software that’s ever more adaptive and responsive to each individual’s needs.
Thank you for the words of support. We hope you’ll join us in our quest to understand how screens and light affect sleep and in turn, human health.

they;re right

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
flux is kinda lovely in that it just add a filter over everything instead of adjusting the white balance towards the lower color temperature while keeping color accurate

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

retarded verge article of the day

http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/15/10774606/apple-virtual-reality-development-strategy-questions

quote:

And yet, the most likely scenario still seems to be that Apple will jump into the VR competition — because this is more than just another tech industry quest to invent novel reasons to sell more stuff. Virtual reality is the next computing platform, the next frontier in the way we interact with technology.

lol ok

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

As to 3D, I declared it dead three years ago. It was junk then, it was junk before then, and it’s not improved since. VR is something altogether different. This stuff actually works as advertised, it is a unique experience. Sure, VR equipment is cumbersome and it can superficially remind you of 3D glasses, but this is not a gimmick. The emotive power of VR and the sheer joy of creating virtual stuff in 3D space in front of you are things that simply have to be experienced.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

DaNzA posted:

"please apple, destroy your security and integrity protections so we can do as yet undisclosed things at the system level that barely alter what flux already does thanks"

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
like how they jumped into autonomous cars or e-watches?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
shut the gently caress up cremnob you dumb rear end idiot.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

apple is finally going to get into the lucrative gaming market of the 90s that they missed out on this time with VR!!! - a huge retard

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

dont sign

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

why does everyone hate f.lux so much around here?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
they need to put down the people who invented something apple is now copying.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

flux is awesome. rip flux on ios tho

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Jenny Agutter posted:

why does everyone hate f.lux so much around here?

because they install it at night and their screen instantly turns dark orange and looks like poo poo

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

set it to the slowest, most gradual change and use the same color temp for "night" as the lighting in your shame room

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

gas

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
some lights do indeed use gas

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I've never heard of flux before but I'm looking forward to warming up the stark whiteness of iOS

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I installed 9.3 on my iPad Air 2 and can confirm night mode is veh nace. also superior to flux

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
wow having access to low level apis and resources allows you to make a better app, who knew.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

:qq:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

the cause of flux's inferiority was shrouded in mystery until you cleared things up for us. thanks for the explanation.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

i hope they bring night mode to OSX soon. flux for OSX is extremely bad

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
i'm glad i could help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

DaNzA posted:

Apple today showed the world its subscription-based music service, Apple Music.

Here’s what Rdio had to say:

quote:

Welcome, Apple. Seriously.

Welcome to the most exciting and important frontier since the digital music revolution began 16 years ago.

We look forward to responsible competition in the massive effort to make music available legally for anyone to enjoy anytime, anywhere.

Because what we are doing is increasing the value of music by enhancing each individual’s experience with music they love.

Welcome to the task.

• Locked thread