Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Green Intern posted:

This is incredibly disappointing to learn.

Yeah. The guy who's writing the biggest environmentalist hero on the comics pages doesn't actually understand one of the most important environmental issues today. What next, Rex Morgan's writer turns out to be an anti-vaxer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Does anyone happen to have those first Zebo strips from Luann, where he was doing his "what is art" shtick?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Scary Gary

Intelligent Life

Retail

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Indolent Bastard posted:

Intelligent Life

What. The. gently caress.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County is still in mourning.

Skippy (November 16, 1928)

Peanuts, with another reminder that yes, this is 1969. (January 17, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

The punchline: Following your heart is a great way to go broke. Nobody who tells you to do it actually expects you to.

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (August 6-7, 1928)

Thimble Theater (August 3, 1929)

Oooooo, what that headline's promising for tomorrow. :neckbeard:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

I hate this, and Girl Scout cookies. The companies that make the candy make more than the people selling it. Just ask parents for the cash, nobody wants your overprices lovely quality food.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I am FREAKING OUT COMIX.

Pooch Café

I like the detail that the carpet isn't just free of hair, it's noticeably lighter where the vacuum track is. I don't know if that was baked into the black and white original or if a syndicate colourist finally deserves credit for something.

Ballard Street

Black coffee and donuts will do that to you.

Lost Side of Suburbia

This strip loves tonal shifts. In one page, it can go from a cute little Wizard of Oz homage to HOW THEY GONNA DO GOATSUCKER LIKE THAT

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Indolent Bastard posted:

I hate this, and Girl Scout cookies.

Are you human? I mean yes, there's problems with moms marching their daughters around to get sales and the like, but it's nowhere near as exploitive as these fundraiser things.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

:stare:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

"Don't get married, because your wife will turn into a shrieking harridan." -- noted feminist Mike Lester

Buni

Rhymes with orange

Pros and Cons

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

RandomFerret posted:

This strip loves tonal shifts. In one page, it can go from a cute little Wizard of Oz homage to HOW THEY GONNA DO GOATSUCKER LIKE THAT

The author knows that all children's stories need nightmarish horror and tragedy. If Lost Side of Suburbia were a kids' movie from the 1980s, it'd inspire dozens of present-day forum posts from people trying to remember the name of "that movie where some guy swells up and explodes."

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (August 6-7, 1928)

The next strip has the cowboys occupying a vacant office in a federal land preserve and declaring themselves Sovereign Citizens in defiance of Unconstitional Admiralty Law.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (December 22, 1950)

Barnaby (May 29, 1942)

Nancy (February 5, 1943)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

RandomFerret posted:

Lost Side of Suburbia

For a strip for kids (well, adolescents, really), this poo poo gets DARK. These bits with the poor dead chupe, the bits with the missing kids, the violence, and some body horror thrown in for good measure... this is some rough stuff. Not that I'm getting all OUR CHILDREN about it. I think it's good for them.

The Big Fuckin' Beautiful Birds were on hiatus for a time, but I am very pleased to see that they've returned with a vengeance (and brought the rest of the menagerie with them).

Darkest Auer posted:

What. The. gently caress.

Skip likes to gently caress cats and other small animals.

Luann

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

We've seen before that the Forths are the Weird Family in a neighborhood full of boring sticks in the mud, but jeez. If you can't even parse the concept of "snowball fight," you have bigger problems than what those wacky Forths are up to. I'm starting to wonder if the neighbors have been secretly replaced by alien drones sent to study these things we humans call "feelings".

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Indolent Bastard posted:

Intelligent Life

So cat owners secretly want to gently caress their pets? I always suspected something was up.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

EasyEW posted:

Rip Haywire

With all the crap like FOOB on the comics page, it's nice to see a relationship that's actually healthy.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Kavak posted:

Are you human? I mean yes, there's problems with moms marching their daughters around to get sales and the like, but it's nowhere near as exploitative as these fundraiser things.

No I am not human, I am a computer programmed to inflict pain, hence posting Mike du Jour.

You say that it isn't exploitative, but it's hardly a charitable endeavor. My co-worker has a daughter in Scouts and they are not allowed to go door to door for "safety reasons" which means they either have to hit up relatives, neighbors and co-workers to sell the cookies, or they get permission to set up a table outside a business to sell them. Each girl is issued a minimum number of boxes they must sell and the break down of profits isn't great.

The Girl Scouts official website explains that the troop gets approximately 15 percent of the revenue, while the regional council ends up with the bulk of the proceeds at roughly 75 percent which goes to salaries, overhead and other expenses. More detailed breakdowns differ troop to troop, but a 2010 article, based on $3.50 box price, says that, additionally, 85 cents of each box goes to the baker to cover production costs, while 1 penny per box goes to the neighborhood "service unit." None of the money made from actually selling cookies goes to the national organization. However, as it owns the rights to the Girl Scouts trademarked logo, the national organization is paid royalties by the baker as well as any other companies that make use of the cookies.

My co-worker has expressed his feelings that the time spent and badgering of friends required in selling the cookies is more than he cares to deal with so he just buys all the obligatory boxes and gives them away.

The Girl Scouts isn't evil, but stop trying to sell me stuff I don't want by trying to guilt me into it, just ask for a donation and be done with it.

The bigger issue is how much of this type of fundraising I see in America, fun raising car washes, band candy, cheerleader cookie dough, on and on. Growing up in Canada I just never saw it. The schools were well funded and if you wanted a band trip to Europe you asked the parents to pay, not send the kids out with boxes of $3 chocolate almonds from which the school saw $1 per box. This is only trumped by the charity yard sales and bar nights to pay for cancer treatment for kids and veterans. You're a nice country America, but get your poo poo together.

I got a little off track there. So comix, they're funny, am I right?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set doesn't know the Dewey Decimal System.

Working Daze continues the tradition of terrible tribute strips.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix plays with your expectations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze continues the tradition of terrible tribute strips.

Oh jesus gently caress. I want to hit Zakour with something heavy more than ever now.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

This has been driving me nuts for weeks: They're in the Chihuahuan Desert in SW Texas. Y'know what AREN'T THERE? Saguaros. If you're not in the Sonora, you're not gonna see giant limbed cacti. Jam Esallen, stop drawing saguaros.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Hoover Dam posted:

This has been driving me nuts for weeks: They're in the Chihuahuan Desert in SW Texas. Y'know what AREN'T THERE? Saguaros. If you're not in the Sonora, you're not gonna see giant limbed cacti. Jam Esallen, stop drawing saguaros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg5VwtODOJQ

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Laputanmachine posted:

So cat owners secretly want to gently caress their pets? I always suspected something was up.

Hey, I like my cat. As a friend!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

BigDave posted:

Wow, Rose is Rose has dramatically improved as of late.
I was going to say something about it, but then I realized I'd be perfectly happy about not seeing Rose is Rose.

treasureplane posted:

Nancy (February 5, 1943)

I like how the dog doesn't really understand what's happening, but he has to go along with it anyways for some reason.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Do corporations pay for product placement in comic strips?

Also, while that Olive is goofy: , Mary has gone full He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named: .

Rex Morgan MD

Oh come on at least give her a test.

Secret Agent X-9

it ended a little too quickly for me, but I think those are some nice panels.

Apartment 3-G

LuAnn's ruined Web's chances of getting with both of them.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Johnny Walker posted:

Apartment 3-G

LuAnn's ruined Web's chances of getting with both of them.
I really like the old Apartment 3-G - thanks for posting it!

Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbusts of Everett True

Fritzi Ritz

And, on to a new storyline! I like that these old NancyFritzi Ritz strips have multiple day stories.

Sick, Sick, Sick (click for big)

Wee Pals

Amen.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Well hey, sleeping on a traincar, that's old timey and- :stare:

Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

For some reason the past few Andertoons have been repeats from a couple weeks back, but I think this one's new?

Pluggers

Pluggers still don't own anything that can use GPS

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

So I've always wondered, after that "Pluggers don't shut the gently caress up about their kids/grandkids" strip, why we don't see any of the kids. After this strip, though, I realized - the kids of the average Plugger couple would be loving horrifying. Thanks, Mr. Brookins.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Moomin

Classic Dilbert

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Indolent Bastard posted:

No I am not human, I am a computer programmed to inflict pain, hence posting Mike du Jour.

Well, that makes sense, at least.

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

Indolent Bastard posted:

You say that it isn't exploitative, but it's hardly a charitable endeavor. My co-worker has a daughter in Scouts and they are not allowed to go door to door for "safety reasons" which means they either have to hit up relatives, neighbors and co-workers to sell the cookies, or they get permission to set up a table outside a business to sell them. Each girl is issued a minimum number of boxes they must sell and the break down of profits isn't great.

So what happens if a scout can't meet quota? Are they drummed out of the Girl Scouts?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Bah, automation. Give me the human touch. The sociopathic, white-knuckle human touch. Like the jackal that planted the posthypnotic suggestion that compels me to post Funky Winkerbean every morning.

Pogo (January 17, 1958)

Peanuts: Year Four (January 25-27, 1954)

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Achernar posted:

So what happens if a scout can't meet quota? Are they drummed out of the Girl Scouts?

I have no idea, but one can only hope. Standing tall before troop she has her sash torn off, and her beret taken as a drum beats.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

:smith:

Big Ben Bolt

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True

I'm quite amused by how it looks like Everett is whapping these guys while clutching a magic fairy wand.

Parahexavoctal fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jan 16, 2016

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail reminds of you a rather terrible character design decision

Pearls Before Swine tackles the issues head-on

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Perfection.

Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbusts of Everett True

Fritzi Ritz

Sick, Sick, Sick (click for big)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Lawford
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_Allyson
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melvyn_Douglas
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constance_Bennett

No clue.

Wee Pals

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Slammy posted:

No clue.

Uniform and date suggest the American Legion, which has varied over its history from "place for veterans to hang out and shoot the poo poo" to "borderline fascist."

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Skippy (November 17, 1928)

Peanuts (January 18, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (August 8-9, 1928)

Thimble Theater (August 5, 1929)

Not only is he back, but he's back to render a beating! :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

EasyEW posted:

Rip Haywire

They... uh... they didn't reset the universe so they could do this arc as a finale, right? Right? :ohdear:

• Locked thread