Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

speaking of Alice Munro where should I start w her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

paradoxGentleman posted:

-A bunch of Shakespear's work

Shakespeare only wrote fan fiction. Not real literature.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

speaking of Alice Munro where should I start w her

Family Furnishings. e: specifically Working for a Living and Home are good starts.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jan 15, 2016

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

If you think about it, literature is just reality fanfiction...

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Selected stories

Disagree, her short stories collections all have thematic consistency in a way that I think gives value to specific collections.

I would say Dear Life or Runaway

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Nanomashoes posted:

If you think about it, literature is just reality fanfiction...

You joke but what about the Aeneid and Divine Comedy

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

hell is real?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

blue squares posted:

hell is real?

gently caress I missed the reality part

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I googled Aenid and its about a dyslexic hamster?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Disagree, her short stories collections all have thematic consistency in a way that I think gives value to specific collections.

I would say Dear Life or Runaway

I just forgot what it was called. Family Furnishings is just where I started.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Paradox for the sake of argument what is the best book you ever read and why is it the best book you ever read

blue squares posted:

I googled Aenid and its about a dyslexic hamster?

I feel like I am getting wooshed here

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Paradox for the sake of argument what is the best book you ever read and why is it the best book you ever read

I feel like I am getting wooshed here

Wikipedia posted:

The Aeneid is a Latin epic poem, written by Virgil between 29 and 19 BC, that tells the legendary story of Aeneas, a Trojan who travelled to Italy, where he became the ancestor of the Romans. It comprises 9,896 lines in dactylic hexameter.

Oh I see where I went wrong

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I laughed

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

blue squares posted:

Oh I see where I went wrong

:argh:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Also for the sake of the argument (because how do you even judge something like this?) I am going to go with Jane Eyre. I do not think you will find my argument satisfactory but it's the best I can do.

It was very touching, probably the only book that actually made me almost cry, for starters. I loved reading about the development of this young girl and the story of her life, struggling against all these difficulties she comes across because I am a complete sucker for unfortunate persons fighting their way through their misfortunes. I saw in Rochester the ancestor of all those trashy romance novels about bad boys, which was interesting, and felt honestly spooked when Bertha made her first appearance. I guess generally speaking the plot and the characters really drew me in.

I liked the proto-feminist message (but I like even more how a more detailed one is presented in Wide Sargasso Sea) and the almost Disney-like moral that you can struggle your way through the direst hardships. I liked how her friend from school was depicted as very forgiving and somewhat wise in doing so, but also as a complete pushover who swallowed injustices thrown against her with nary a thought.

It may also be worth pointing out that I think the English-speaking world teaches literature in a very different way than I learned it in my Italian schools. They just tell us what the meaning behind works is meant to be here, and while they don't spit in your face if you happen to notice a different one, it's not particularly encouraged.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
You should read Il Gattopardo

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

in fairness I find that question completely impossible to answer

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I recommend Baudolino.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

My two favourite books are Dead Souls and Herodotus' Histories. My fav records are Chico Buarque's Construção and Silvio Rodríguez's Días y Flores. I don't watch a lot of films but my favourite film is The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

It may also be worth pointing out that I think the English-speaking world teaches literature in a very different way than I learned it in my Italian schools. They just tell us what the meaning behind works is meant to be here, and while they don't spit in your face if you happen to notice a different one, it's not particularly encouraged.

Nah that's how it works here too

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Ras Het posted:

I'm reading Jorge Amado. A lot of his books are about fat old guys falling in love with pretty young girls and they make telenovelas of them

I read his book Tereza Batista last year and it was pretty much a 600 page telenovela about a fat old guy falling in love and abusing the gently caress out of a pretty young girl. it was, uhh, professionally written, I guess, but I wouldn't say it left me wanting to read another page of his stuff. Unlike Achebe :wink:

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Smh

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Jorge Amado owns

read Dona Flor

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
what is surreal literature

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

paradoxGentleman posted:

huh, i've hung out with a lot of italians (southern europe, oy!) and even the ones that weren't big readers were much more snobbish about Real Literature than the good goons on http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3643994. i think this is a phenomenon worth exploring further (nah).

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Jorge Amado owns

read Dona Flor

nah, i'll read books by authors i've enjoyed or think i'll enjoy instead. i know he has his fans, but it's not my life goal to become one.

Burning Rain fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 15, 2016

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

paradoxGentleman posted:

I swear that I am not trying to troll you people. I just want to know.

I know I was just amused at the irony that you haven't read the thread about reading better, otherwise you'd have already read this argument repeated a bunch.

I think the simplest answer is read a wide variety of stuff that challenges you, don't worry about if the thing is "real" literature or not. The thread title is just to get a rise out of people, you don't have to worry about us giving the stamp of approval to what you read. If you are interested, there's a ton of recommendations as well earlier in the thread. Like just skim any random few pages of this thread - even this page - and type the things people are talking about into google and see if they interest you, then check them out of the library. It's super easy!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Burning Rain posted:

nah, i'll read books by authors i've enjoyed or think i'll enjoy instead. i know he has his fans, but it's not my life goal to become one.

Dona Flor fucks a ghost its cool

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 15, 2016

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Putting words in people's mouths

What is this, if on winters night a traveler?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Cloks posted:

What is this, if on winters night a traveler?

?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

You quoted someone else and attributed it to me (unless awful app is loving up)

If on winters night a traveler is all second person - it tells the reader what they're doing. You told me what I said so second person yadda yadda, attempt at joke.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Cloks posted:

You quoted someone else and attributed it to me (unless awful app is loving up)

wow what the gently caress how did that happen

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
i triggered you with my dislike of Amado, so you don't even want to see my username :(

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

"What?"
-Richard Nixon

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

but seriously though folks she really does gently caress a ghost

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

big deal. That happens in Scary Movie 2 and I don’t have to wade through any boring words to get there.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I've spent time reading formulaic genre fiction of the Middle Ages. I say genre fiction, but really there wasn't so much of a ridiculous highbrow/lowbrow real/fake literature distinction in them days. For that I blame Dante and Chaucer. There's stuff you can use in a formula. There's even virtue in a formula, in conforming in some rigid way to audience expectations (hint: it allows you to make people really uncomfortable, if only for a short space of time). But even modern formulaic books don't know how to do that. So much of it is just trash. Even, perhaps especially, the A-grade stuff by more successful authors who get told they're geniuses and think they've hit the apex of Technique.

PS all good highbrow/lowbrow lit ventures outside the parameters of 'high' and 'low' where they would otherwise be comfortable.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I just bought Los Detectives Salvajes by Roberto Bolano and it took me almost six minutes to read the first page. I may have been overambitious

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

blue squares posted:

I just bought Los Detectives Salvajes by Roberto Bolano and it took me almost six minutes to read the first page. I may have been overambitious

You stuck with it more than some people I know

edit: I say some but I mean one

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

blue squares posted:

Didn't like this one nearly as much as 2666

The ending pages are cool though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I am reading it in Spanish in case that wasn't clear. Also I loving hated 2666 in English. I also have the graphic novel Maus in Spanish which is a lot easier to read with the pictures for context