Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Harime Nui posted:

Why do you even think that's okay? the gently caress's wrong with you you don't have enough human sympathy------no, okay, maybe you don't know. The Cinerama Dome is Tarantino's theater. Like, it's his homeground, it's the place where you got to watch his movie debuts so you can talk to him about it and poo poo. Not "his" theater in the sense that it plays Tarantino movies year round but generally it is the one he likes best. But gently caress that if you can make a few dollars more, right?

Like do you even understand what's wrong here? Like, why this is wrong?

Oh, okay. I still don't care. Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Look, if someone spat in Tarantino's face, he's still a super rich guy who probably hosed Uma Thurman. Great, but you still spat in his face and that's wrong what the gently caress.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Phylodox posted:

Oh, okay. I still don't care. Sorry.

Do you actually make a webcomic, I feel like I've heard you mention that's something you do but I might be wrong

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Why should the fact that the Jedi went through the planet core mean they literally landed on the opposite side of the planet?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
This stupid rear end gently caress movie

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Harime Nui posted:

Do you actually make a webcomic, I feel like I've heard you mention that's something you do but I might be wrong

Yeah, it's fuckin' terrible. If Disney bought my web space or some poo poo, no one would care. What's your point?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Quentin Tarantula is a whiny foot fetishist known for temper tantrums and making really awesome movies, and strangling Diane Kruger.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Zoran posted:

Why should the fact that the Jedi went through the planet core mean they literally landed on the opposite side of the planet?

That planet core is huge.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

greatn posted:

The emperor's weird council guys look a hell of a lot like Nemoidians, actually, apart from being human.

They should replace those guys with Neimoidians in the next Special Edition revision.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Harime Nui posted:

Why do you even think that's okay? the gently caress's wrong with you you don't have enough human sympathy------no, okay, maybe you don't know. The Cinerama Dome is Tarantino's theater. Like, it's his homeground, it's the place where you got to watch his movie debuts so you can talk to him about it and poo poo. Not "his" theater in the sense that it plays Tarantino movies year round but generally it is the one he likes best. But gently caress that if you can make a few dollars more, right?

Movies are a business just as cutthroat as any other in this country. Tarantino being hosed out of a few screens in a theatre he happens to favor isn't something I'm willing to waste my time worrying about. Disney gonna Disney.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Basebf555 posted:

Movies are a business just as cutthroat as any other in this country. Tarantino being hosed out of a few screens in a theatre he happens to favor isn't something I'm willing to waste my time worrying about. Disney gonna Disney.

You are completely missing the point

Phylodox posted:

Yeah, it's fuckin' terrible. If Disney bought my web space or some poo poo, no one would care. What's your point?

Well, I'd like to see your webcomic.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Harime Nui posted:

Wait, why are you mad at Disney? Shouldn't you be mad at, like, the theater? Disney can't come in with mouse-eared goons and shove their Star War into the projection booth.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

homullus posted:

Wait, why are you mad at Disney? Shouldn't you be mad at, like, the theater? Disney can't come in with mouse-eared goons and shove their Star War into the projection booth.

Uh, but they can order the theater to stop showing Force Awakens too early which would cost it huge-o in revenues, way more than they'd get back showing QT's movie.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Harime Nui posted:

Well, I'd like to see your webcomic.

Somehow I doubt that, but here, go fuckin' ape, dude.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

homullus posted:

No. But they can say "Play TFA or you won't get another Disney movie untill the sun burns out."

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Harime Nui posted:

Uh, but they can order the theater to stop showing Force Awakens too early which would cost it huge-o in revenues, way more than they'd get back showing QT's movie.

Yeah, they can, but the theater still doesn't have to do it. Are you mad at the theater for caving for business reasons? If not, why are you mad at Disney for pressuring them for business reasons? I think you should be mad at both, since his theater totally stabbed him in the back for a payoff.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
It was a dick move on Disney's part, but having to read someone whining about it post after post in this thread has made me want to go see TFA a third time out of spite. Also because I was wanting to see it again cause its an awesome movie, but now also out of spite.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

homullus posted:

Yeah, they can, but the theater still doesn't have to do it. Are you mad at the theater for caving for business reasons? If not, why are you mad at Disney for pressuring them for business reasons? I think you should be mad at both, since his theater totally stabbed him in the back for a payoff.

Theaters are kind of a dying business, bud. Disney isn't.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Also are you loving listening to yourself? "Well, the drycleaner could have not taken the laundered money, he'd have been beat up but he could have gone to the police" shut the gently caress up. Are you gonna compare the goddamn Weinstein Company, who do well for themselves but let's be real are a niche studio, to goddamn Walt Disney Entertainment? Of course you side with one over the other here, and the difference is so vast I doubt it even effects the relationship Quentin probably has with the owners of that particular theater. Here's a hot tip ethics majors, what went down is still loving wrong

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
Won't someone think of the poor and downtrodden Quentin Tarantino? With his $100 million net worth. He is clearly an oppressed man in Holiday being kept down by the evil Disney regime.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I can't believe supposed cinephiles are going to bat for Disney. What the gently caress.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
It's really loving hilarious I keep saying "hey, Disney slapped Tarantino on his face" and you keep saying "Tarantino's rich! He's got money! He's got money!" so the gently caress what, when you pass a certain wealth threshold you stop being human?

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Harime Nui posted:

Also are you loving listening to yourself? "Well, the drycleaner could have not taken the laundered money, he'd have been beat up but he could have gone to the police" shut the gently caress up. Are you gonna compare the goddamn Weinstein Company, who do well for themselves but let's be real are a niche studio, to goddamn Walt Disney Entertainment? Of course you side with one over the other here, and the difference is so vast I doubt it even effects the relationship Quentin probably has with the owners of that particular theater. Here's a hot tip ethics majors, what went down is still loving wrong

It's two rich media conglomerates having a fairly minor dispute over what blockbuster film plays in a single theater in LA. Again, who the gently caress cares? There's a reason no one is siding with you here.

Harime Nui posted:

when you pass a certain wealth threshold you stop being human?

That's an exaggeration but when you have such vast wealth my sympathy for your feelings are vastly diminished. QT isn't a small time indie director who sold his house to fund the Hateful Eight.

sponges fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 15, 2016

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013

Effectronica posted:

I can't believe supposed cinephiles are going to bat for Disney. What the gently caress.

Its less going to bat for Disney and more making fun of someone raging so much in the Star Wars thread about this.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Harime Nui posted:

Actually, let's talk a bit about why I won't see Force Awakens

This is why I won't see Force Awakens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pd6yO-jBRo

It's just one theater, right? Well my one ticket for that one theater should mean a lot less. gently caress Disney for this seriously.

Counterpoint: Hateful Eight ain't great.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
What the gently caress is this thread anymore :a2m:

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

It's two rich media conglomerates having a fairly minor dispute over what blockbuster film plays in a single theater in LA. Again, who the gently caress cares? There's a reason no one is siding with you here.

Tarantino cared because he wanted to have the movie play at that theater. Also lol at you saying the Weinsteins have anything on Disney in terms of clout. But mainly, this guy who made a lot of things that I love is upset and angry about this and I get why, and the guy who made The New Star Trek Movies is no loving counter to that, so gently caress Disney even if they have the money to keep Star Wars playing forever.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Totbot posted:

Its less going to bat for Disney and more making fun of someone raging so much in the Star Wars thread about this.

Your posts are some of the most petty and hateful vomit I've ever seen in this forum. Shut the gently caress up.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

Nessus posted:

What did some people in the middle ages do when the Church forbade them to shed blood? Did they attempt peace instead? No. They got a blunt weapon to use instead. A mace.

Maces were used because they were effective against chain mail and plate armor. Hit somebody in the head with a mace and you're going to see a lot of blood. There was no prohibition against the clergy using bladed weapons.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Harime Nui posted:

Ok, sure, but yes or no on his theater is completely innocent of selling out Tarantino for a wad of cash? Because that's what this is. It's not "avoiding getting beat up," it is chasing a pile of money. There are other movies out that they can show to keep the lights on.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
In a conflict between artistry and corporate greed, you should pick the corporate greed, because someone dared to care about the artistry. My god, most goons should frankly be shot.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013

Effectronica posted:

Your posts are some of the most petty and hateful vomit I've ever seen in this forum. Shut the gently caress up.

Yes, me saying I'm going to go see the new Star Wars movie and enjoy it because someone is raging about Disney in the SA Star Wars thread is much worse than, I don't know, the blatant racism and sexism that tend to get posted in GBS.

You got me.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013

Effectronica posted:

My god, most goons should frankly be shot.

I agree, shoot all goons.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Totbot posted:

Yes, me saying I'm going to go see the new Star Wars movie and enjoy it because someone is raging about Disney in the SA Star Wars thread is much worse than, I don't know, the blatant racism and sexism that tend to get posted in GBS.

You got me.

You've got GBS deep in the wreckage of your soul, bud.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Harime Nui posted:

Tarantino cared because he wanted to have the movie play at that theater. Also lol at you saying the Weinsteins have anything on Disney in terms of clout. But mainly, this guy who made a lot of things that I love is upset and angry about this and I get why, and the guy who made The New Star Trek Movies is no loving counter to that, so gently caress Disney even if they have the money to keep Star Wars playing forever.

The Hateful Eight is still playing everywhere. Nothing of value was lost. QT throwing a pity party was a cynical attempt to get exposure for his new movie. He framed it as a David vs. Goliath story and you fell for it.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

homullus posted:

Ok, sure, but yes or no on his theater is completely innocent of selling out Tarantino for a wad of cash? Because that's what this is. It's not "avoiding getting beat up," it is chasing a pile of money. There are other movies out that they can show to keep the lights on.

Fundamentally I think, you think just because a business does what is best for that business to keep existing, that should be okay, I mean, they could have chosen to take the less viable choice on principle but they didn't so gently caress principles right haha? Like theaters everywhere are in dire loving straits right now so gently caress it, whatever. The theater actually did try to fight it until Disney was like "we will seriously just drop a moneyhammer on your stupid rear end," (this is admittedly according to QT's account but I doubt he'd lie on national radio), then they had to call Quentin and tell him his movie wasn't playing over the holidays afterall. This is not a business that can afford to thumb its nose at the more profitable option, feelings aside, but that doesn't make what happened less wrong or less of a petty and mean moneygrab on the part of Disney which already had the most profitable movie in the world coming out.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

The Hateful Eight is still playing everywhere. Nothing of value was lost. QT throwing a pity party was a cynical attempt to get exposure for his new movie. He framed it as a David vs. Goliath story and you fell for it.

Something of value was lost to Quentin, that's been my point all along

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
I can't wait to go see Star Wars 7: The Force Awakens again this weekend in a theater near me.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Okay and Disney are pieces of poo poo that was in there too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
H8ful 8 was a better movie than Star Wars Episode VII, let's be absolutely clear here.

• Locked thread