Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Can't get your students certificate at the AME anymore. Now you get it through the FSDO, DPE, Part 141 school, or a CFI

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/FAA-Issues-New-Student-Pilot-Rules-225505-1.html

quote:

Under a new rule released today by the FAA, student pilots will no longer get their student pilot certificate from an aviation medical examiner. Instead, they can apply in person at a FSDO, through a designated pilot examiner, with a Part 141 flight school or a CFI. The TSA will vet the application, and then a plastic certificate will be sent to the student by the Civil Aviation Registry. Earlier proposals to charge a $22 fee and require a photo have been withdrawn. Student pilots still will have to visit an AME to acquire a separate medical certificate. The new rule takes effect April 1.

I am absolutely thrilled that the TSA now has to vet the application! I wouldn't expect there would be ANY slowdowns or bureaucratic nightmare involved in this.

EMPHASIS MINE

Follow up:
The Civil Aviation Registry will send a plastic student pilot certificate to the applicant after successful completion of security vetting by TSA. Receipt of a student pilot certificate is required prior to exercising the privileges of a student pilot certificate (i.e., prior to solo flight).

So, you have to get your plastic cert in the mail before you can go solo. Absolutely loving un-believable.

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Captain Apollo posted:

Can't get your students certificate at the AME anymore. Now you get it through the FSDO, DPE, Part 141 school, or a CFI

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/FAA-Issues-New-Student-Pilot-Rules-225505-1.html

I am absolutely thrilled that the TSA now has to vet the application! I wouldn't expect there would be ANY slowdowns or bureaucratic nightmare involved in this.

EMPHASIS MINE

Follow up:
The Civil Aviation Registry will send a plastic student pilot certificate to the applicant after successful completion of security vetting by TSA. Receipt of a student pilot certificate is required prior to exercising the privileges of a student pilot certificate (i.e., prior to solo flight).

So, you have to get your plastic cert in the mail before you can go solo. Absolutely loving un-believable.

I received my private pilot certificate a few months after my temp expired. I feel super bad for student pilots getting held up on their solos. Also for anyone curious my PPL got lost in the process somewhere. They shipped a new one upon me calling.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My newest temporary cert expires in a month, so I called the certificate office to see what the hold-up is.

They never even got to the application because it was lost somewhere in the process. Start the clock again :rolleyes:.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
What is the deal with the FAA implementing these half baked ideas without any prior warning or reasoning?

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

e.pilot posted:

What is the deal with the FAA implementing these half baked ideas without any prior warning or reasoning?

Maybe they are hopeful about the Pilot Bill of Rights and need to add a bit of additional bureaucracy somewhere to keep needing as many people.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Honestly, it seems like a lot of these "terrible" ideas wouldn't be half so terrible if the American government and its various organs actually worked properly. A security check for people who are going to be flying planes really isn't the worst idea I've ever heard, it's just that you should be able to do it over the phone in under 30 minutes, because it doesn't need to be terribly in-depth.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

e.pilot posted:

The fun part is that when you investigate other regulations, and other industries, and other regulatory agencies, a good portion of THOSE regulations are just as bad or worse!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

What the Christ? You have to go to the AME for the medical anyway, and where do the solo endorsements go which were logged on the paper cert?

e.pilot posted:

Watch the State of the Union highlights and pay attention to Biden and Ryan's reactions to some of the things Obama says. Now try to imagine 538 of those geniuses trying to agree over a few of them who probably had people write to them or a special interest person come in and, from that information, they and their aides came up with an idea they thought would be beneficial to National Security and aviation with little to no actual knowledge of what they were talking about. In the end, they shat this out instead. :eng101:

At least that's how I'd like to imagine it happening. :patriot:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CBJSprague24 posted:

Now try to imagine 538 of those geniuses trying to agree over a few of them who probably had people write to them or a special interest person come in and, from that information, they and their aides came up with an idea they thought would be beneficial to National Security and aviation with little to no actual knowledge of what they were talking about. In the end, they shat this out instead. :eng101:

Dingdingdingding. We have a winner.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

e.pilot posted:

The ideas come from Congress. They have a hardon for "secure" pilot certificates which have anti-forgery technology, which the student certificate/medical didn't have. Congress also mandated that pilots certificates have photos on them in legislation passed in both 2004 and 2012; not sure how the FAA is still ignoring that.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

fordan posted:

The ideas come from Congress. They have a hardon for "secure" pilot certificates which have anti-forgery technology, which the student certificate/medical didn't have. Congress also mandated that pilots certificates have photos on them in legislation passed in both 2004 and 2012; not sure how the FAA is still ignoring that.

I would imagine it would have something to do with the 470 negative comments on the notice of proposed rule making website.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Captain Apollo posted:

I would imagine it would have something to do with the 470 negative comments on the notice of proposed rule making website.

lol if you think the decisionmakers actually read that poo poo

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured
If you guys are seriously going to go nuts every time the FAA or Congress or IATA or whoever makes a dumb rule I don't think aviation is the right place for you. There are hundreds and thousands of rules and policies you have to abide by and this libertarian thinking of "you can't do this cuz, like, freedom man" isn't going to be conducive to your happiness in the aviation industry. Flying isn't fair, and the public and the rule makers don't give a poo poo about your privacy or your "rights". You want a type rating? The FBI gets to do a background check for every single one. Every 135 or 121 job is going to scour your every move, credit card application, speeding ticket and previous employer for the last ten years at least.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

VOR LOC posted:

If you guys are seriously going to go nuts every time the FAA or Congress or IATA or whoever makes a dumb rule I don't think aviation is the right place for you.

This.

I've flown with a few hardcore libertarians who (aside from ranting about "excessive regulation" nonstop) insist "the free market" will solve everything, and then turn around and complain about a non-union airline trying to take our flying by lowballing their contract. :eng99:

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Attacking the personality of the people arguing against the topic or problem is called a straw man fallacy. You're building something out of nothing like a straw man to fight against. "Libertarians" "freedom man"

Perhaps, if you so strongly believe in their work, you should instead argue the merits of what the FAA is doing with their regulatory work.

I for one think processing student pilot certificates through the TSA will make things worse, and from somebody who still considers his abilities as a Flight Instructor their greatest achievement in aviation, this is a sad development and will only take away valuable time to my students who plan out their licenses far in advance.

Edit: Besides, you have to jump through TSA hoops before you even give real instruction to anyone foreign born. You're even supposed to have DL / birth certificate / passport done for us citizens...

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 15, 2016

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
What I foresee happening with my students is just pushing all the solo stuff to the end of the whole program. Pushing on to cross country stuff and knocking out the rest of the requirements without soloing. Then doing one big push of solo stuff at the end.

It's unfortunate, but with as long as the FAA takes to issue plastic certs, I can't see any other way to keep students engaged. I sure as hell am not going to make them sit and wait for 3+ months of not doing anything before they start.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Captain Apollo posted:

Attacking the personality of the people arguing against the topic or problem is called a straw man fallacy.

No, that's the ad hominem fallacy. A strawman is when you attack a position that the person doesn't hold.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

e.pilot posted:

What I foresee happening with my students is just pushing all the solo stuff to the end of the whole program. Pushing on to cross country stuff and knocking out the rest of the requirements without soloing. Then doing one big push of solo stuff at the end.

To me, that would be a welcome change. No more rush to solo at the expense of inadequate training in the "how to fly an airplane" maneuvers.

But the negative unintended consequence would probably be a rush to cross country at the same expense.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Looks like a pair of USMC CH-53Es crashed into each other off of Oahu

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/30973775/coast-guard-responding-to-reports-of-military-aircraft-crash-off-oahus-north-shore

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

Captain Apollo posted:

Attacking the personality of the people arguing against the topic or problem is called a straw man fallacy. You're building something out of nothing like a straw man to fight against. "Libertarians" "freedom man"

Perhaps, if you so strongly believe in their work, you should instead argue the merits of what the FAA is doing with their regulatory work.

I for one think processing student pilot certificates through the TSA will make things worse, and from somebody who still considers his abilities as a Flight Instructor their greatest achievement in aviation, this is a sad development and will only take away valuable time to my students who plan out their licenses far in advance.

Edit: Besides, you have to jump through TSA hoops before you even give real instruction to anyone foreign born. You're even supposed to have DL / birth certificate / passport done for us citizens...

I honestly couldn't care less if the FAA wants new students to have a plastic card for their student pilot certificate. It's the same poo poo only now it takes slightly longer. Before 9/11 you didn't even need to verify your students background but I don't think anyone would say that that new requirement is onerous government overreach. And to be fair, I didn't intend to attack your personality, but you would have to agree that the majority of your posts recently in this thread and the AI thread have been about supposed government over reach and frankly it's getting tedious. Aviation is built on rules and procedures and SOP and the thought that you can remain anonymous while simultaneously holding a medical and a pilots license is ridiculous.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

VOR LOC posted:

If you guys are seriously going to go nuts every time the FAA or Congress or IATA or whoever makes a dumb rule I don't think aviation is the right place for you. There are hundreds and thousands of rules and policies you have to abide by and this libertarian thinking of "you can't do this cuz, like, freedom man" isn't going to be conducive to your happiness in the aviation industry. Flying isn't fair, and the public and the rule makers don't give a poo poo about your privacy or your "rights". You want a type rating? The FBI gets to do a background check for every single one. Every 135 or 121 job is going to scour your every move, credit card application, speeding ticket and previous employer for the last ten years at least.

Don't forget though that a lot of people are becoming pilots for pleasure/entertainment and not to make a career out of it whom don't have to deal with all the same rules that the pros do.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

azflyboy posted:

This.

I've flown with a few hardcore libertarians who (aside from ranting about "excessive regulation" nonstop) insist "the free market" will solve everything, and then turn around and complain about a non-union airline trying to take our flying by lowballing their contract. :eng99:

You should just change the subject to policing guard. Thats the only possible topic of conversation, right? according to the lego videos anyways

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

You should just change the subject to policing guard. Thats the only possible topic of conversation, right? according to the lego videos anyways

We don't actually monitor guard, so most of the cockpit conversations the last couple of months have been about our proposed new contract, which is exactly like the Lego videos. Since I'm based in Idaho, there's also quite a bit of ranting about the government taking our guns and money away, which makes it really hard to keep a straight face since Living The Dream came out.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
Re: student pilot certificates. I was told there would be temporary certificates issued on paper (just like any other certificate). If that's the case then nothing changes, it doesn't matter how long the plastic card takes to get processed as long as you have your paper temp.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

vessbot posted:

No, that's the ad hominem fallacy. A strawman is when you attack a position that the person doesn't hold.

I had a long response typed out about the difference between ad hominem and strawman and then came to my senses and deleted it.

Thanks for biting the bullet.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

azflyboy posted:

We don't actually monitor guard, so most of the cockpit conversations the last couple of months have been about our proposed new contract, which is exactly like the Lego videos. Since I'm based in Idaho, there's also quite a bit of ranting about the government taking our guns and money away, which makes it really hard to keep a straight face since Living The Dream came out.

You guys don't monitor guard? Hm. It's in our SOP, we have to and everyone I've encountered does. Monitoring the ops freq when acars goes down on the other hand while on the ground.. yeah not so much.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

The Slaughter posted:

You guys don't monitor guard? Hm. It's in our SOP, we have to and everyone I've encountered does. Monitoring the ops freq when acars goes down on the other hand while on the ground.. yeah not so much.

Our SOP is to have the ops frequency on comm 2 while airborne, since we don't have ACARS or SELCAL.

Since all of our airplanes have satellite phone/texting capability with dispatch or maintenance, no one is quite sure why we're supposed to monitor ops, and I've seen almost no one (aside from an anal-retentive check airman) do anything past selecting the frequency but keeping it muted.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
CFII ride scheduled for the 27th. :heysexy:

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Just finished my interview with Atlas Air. I think it went pretty well. Now the nerve-wracking wait to hear about the result...

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

Animal posted:

Just finished my interview with Atlas Air. I think it went pretty well. Now the nerve-wracking wait to hear about the result...

Just finished training on the 74. I'll answer whatever mundane crap you'd like to know about! Let's all welcome our new southern brothers!

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I have a buddy who just finished in that class. Hint: he is French, and if I get hired I am supposed to buy him a box of champagne.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Animal posted:

I have a buddy who just finished in that class. Hint: he is French, and if I get hired I am supposed to buy him a box of champagne.

A case of champagne, or a box of champagne? It's an important distinction.

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

Animal posted:

Nice. Call him Jamal from now on, he'll get it.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

MrYenko posted:

A case of champagne, or a box of champagne? It's an important distinction.

With that payscale I'll be able to afford the case, as long as its cheap stuff and I wait a few months into the first year

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
OP update! Passed my commercial ride today! :toot:

CPL ASEL IR (KMTN)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Rickety Cricket posted:

CPL ASEL IR (KMTN)

Awesome! Congratulations!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Rickety Cricket posted:

CPL ASEL IR (KMTN)

That's great! Add the word "professional" to your title.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Had an empty FedEx MD-10-30 come off FLL earlier tonight doing 4500+ fpm.

:rock:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

MrYenko posted:

Had an empty FedEx MD-10-30 come off FLL earlier tonight doing 4500+ fpm.

:rock:

lol freight dogs giving zero fucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

VOR LOC posted:

Just finished training on the 74. I'll answer whatever mundane crap you'd like to know about! Let's all welcome our new southern brothers!

Your initials wouldn't happen to be S.N. would they?

• Locked thread