Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Similar, but with fire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVeeOM2fzBE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

WhatEvil posted:

I recently watched Episodes 4, 5, 2, 3, 6 in that order (the "Machete order") like I assume an awful lot of people did. This was the first time I'd watched them in this order or that close in time (did it over about a week) and a few things stood out:

- The story of 2 & 3 isn't *that* awful, but the dialogue and pacing is.

- Return of the Jedi is a fantastic movie.

- All of the "Special Edition" bits were loving terrible, stuck out like a sore thumb and made the original movies worse. This is an important one because almost the whole of the 3 prequels were seemingly made with the same philosophy as the Special Edition add-ins for Eps 4-6, which ties in with what Mad Doctor Cthulu said:

Totally agree with this. They got the balance way better in TFA.

I was recently pointed to the Anti-Cheese Edits of 1,2 & 3, of which I have watched 1 & 2 so far. They are on Youtube in HD.
Here's the first. Find the rest from there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfQBdRcgizc

The edits include stuff like:

- no mention of midichlorians anywhere
- horribly racist alien voices overdubbed with "alien speech" and subtitled
- Jar-Jar is never comic relief. No stepping in poop or other "hilarious" Jar-Jar moments
- romance scenes between Anakin & Padme are toned WAY down on cheesiness. (Still pretty awful, but WAY better)

They are still bad movies, but at least now they are WATCHABLE bad movies.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Most of this I agree with but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater in claiming the new movie is better then the original trilogy. Marcia Lucas did an unbelievable job editing those movies, and if anything, one of the few legit criticisms of the new movies is it moves extremely fast to a slight detriment to the plot a couple times.

This might also be my memory cheating as I haven't seen the theatrical cuts in a while. I think the only time I've seen the original trilogy as of late is those abominable Special Editions that Lucas put out before Phantom Menace came out. I'll have to see about hunting the originals down.

WhatEvil posted:

I recently watched Episodes 4, 5, 2, 3, 6 in that order (the "Machete order") like I assume an awful lot of people did. This was the first time I'd watched them in this order or that close in time (did it over about a week) and a few things stood out:

- The story of 2 & 3 isn't *that* awful, but the dialogue and pacing is.

- Return of the Jedi is a fantastic movie.

- All of the "Special Edition" bits were loving terrible, stuck out like a sore thumb and made the original movies worse. This is an important one because almost the whole of the 3 prequels were seemingly made with the same philosophy as the Special Edition add-ins for Eps 4-6, which ties in with what Mad Doctor Cthulu said:

Totally agree with this. They got the balance way better in TFA.

I like how the Machete order ignores Episode 1. I'm still baffled why Anakin had to be a prepubescent since Amidala was at least in her teens. Then again, that's more Lucas meddling to make children the main focus in the movies even though this makes very little (and very weird) narrative sense.

But yeah, Episode 7 had a lot more space so you could take in everything. Lucas' second trilogy is essentially the cinematic version of those webpages back in the '90s that had nothing but gifs and sensory overload in place of....well, anything.

HaB posted:

I was recently pointed to the Anti-Cheese Edits of 1,2 & 3, of which I have watched 1 & 2 so far. They are on Youtube in HD.
Here's the first. Find the rest from there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfQBdRcgizc

- Jar-Jar is never comic relief. No stepping in poop or other "hilarious" Jar-Jar moments
- romance scenes between Anakin & Padme are toned WAY down on cheesiness. (Still pretty awful, but WAY better)

Thanks, I'll have to watch these as well.

To get back on topic, have some fail that isn't related to a bearded director who pissed away his talent and now is bitchy about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evj6y2xZCnM

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

This might also be my memory cheating as I haven't seen the theatrical cuts in a while. I think the only time I've seen the original trilogy as of late is those abominable Special Editions that Lucas put out before Phantom Menace came out. I'll have to see about hunting the originals down.

The laserdisc copies are available on the net via torrents, and they look fantastic.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

http://youtu.be/MZM__vY9DIw

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The laserdisc copies are available on the net via torrents, and they look fantastic.

Look for the Despecialized Editions. An obsessive fan worked with a bunch of sources, upscaled and color-corrected, and got rid of all the Lucascruft, to produce them. They're amazing.

http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Harmys-STAR-WARS-Despecialized-Edition-HD-V25-MKV-IS-OUT-NOW/id/12713

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Phanatic posted:

Look for the Despecialized Editions. An obsessive fan worked with a bunch of sources, upscaled and color-corrected, and got rid of all the Lucascruft, to produce them. They're amazing.

http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Harmys-STAR-WARS-Despecialized-Edition-HD-V25-MKV-IS-OUT-NOW/id/12713

The laserdisc copies are the proper theatrical versions in HD, what do these have that improves on that?

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

HaB posted:

Ahaha what the gently caress just happened at around 5:45? "Its a stand-off, Let's go... WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP!"

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The laserdisc copies are the proper theatrical versions in HD, what do these have that improves on that?

Laserdiscs are SD in analog video.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I think the most significant development of TFA is that it had more believable romantic chemistry between Finn & Rey than between Padme & Anakin over the entire prequel trilogy.

Is it possible to have Shrodinger's schadenfreude over the possibility of them making the relationship official in the subsequent films? Beause god drat, the MRA/dark Enlightenment/Racist Fuckwad tears would/will be so delicious.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Ah, yes, the 'like I sold my film to white slavers' or such line that he took back a day or so later after the film's first success weekend. Sour grapes are best when taken from the tree ala lightsaber.

But it does show that the main problem with the franchise was him. It's hard to watch The Force Awakens and notice that the frame isn't jampacked with CGI characters like the world's weirdest Mad Magazine fold-in. There's a lot going on, but there's a sense of style in the mise-en-scene that Lucas just did not understand. Not to mention that the pacing was miles above anything in the first six films, the dialogue was decent, and the movie had a nice flow to it. It's like everybody watched the Red Letter Media critiques of the second trilogy and learned from them. Then again, they weren't trying to claim sole credit for a movie franchise that they sank, either.

The way Lucas flipped out and then retracted that statement doesn't really sound like an employee being reined in as much as someone's handlers saying 'cut it out, we don't want to piss off Disney.' That said, the best schadenfreude for this whole thing is Disney tossing out Lucas' ideas for Episode 7 because they seemed too much like Episodes 1-3.

I still think the dialogue was one of the best improvements over the originals. Everyone in TFA generally speaks like actual people and the jokes are jokes, not slapstick comedy thrown into the middle of drama or a battle scene.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

425 lines of resolution and a composite video signal has never been HD, unless you're comparing it to VHS. DVDs aren't HD either, and even they're superior to Laserdisc. The BluRay releases of Star Wars were HD, but they come with all the extra poo poo Lucas added.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think the most significant development of TFA is that it had more believable romantic chemistry between Finn & Rey than between Padme & Anakin over the entire prequel trilogy.

Is it possible to have Shrodinger's schadenfreude over the possibility of them making the relationship official in the subsequent films? Beause god drat, the MRA/dark Enlightenment/Racist Fuckwad tears would/will be so delicious.

I would assume it has to be his role, as he seems pretty useless as a fighter, or strategist, or anything else, and he doesn't have the force. I'm thinking his "mental conditioning" kicks in and he turns heel, only to return in movie three and saved through the POWER OF LOVE.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Phanatic posted:

425 lines of resolution and a composite video signal has never been HD, unless you're comparing it to VHS. DVDs aren't HD either, and even they're superior to Laserdisc. The BluRay releases of Star Wars were HD, but they come with all the extra poo poo Lucas added.

got it, watching them on a computer monitor was probably giving me a false sense of higher quality

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

There's a kid eating popcorn while watching her, I didn't think that kind of poo poo happened in real life.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
http://i.imgur.com/KAeNrBP.gifv

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

It's like it's choreographed.:allears:

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

hanales posted:

I would assume it has to be his role, as he seems pretty useless as a fighter, or strategist, or anything else, and he doesn't have the force. I'm thinking his "mental conditioning" kicks in and he turns heel, only to return in movie three and saved through the POWER OF LOVE.

Hmm. Never considered this but it makes a bit of sense.

I thought it would be really cool if he became a non-jedi (or force-using in general) lightsaber expert. We saw Grievious do it (kinda), so it's possible, and I would love to see someone just be a pure sword fighter: no magic and a minimum of guns. And Finn wasn't terrible with the saber despite a complete lack of training.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

"The field test is over. Cut power to the android children."

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

This is just Snow Day on Rocket League.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

"When I said to sweep them off their feet with your ice-skating, I didn't mean like this!"

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Everything from color correction to correcting lost detail due to 'washout'. He rebuilt entire frame aspects with hd sources and other hyper detailed turbonerd poo poo.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Well when hockey doesn't pan out they've all got a career in soccer.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think the most significant development of TFA is that it had more believable romantic chemistry between Finn & Rey Poe

No, that would create the most MRA/nerd schadenfreude.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:stare: those are some lucky people

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Apparently tumblr has already decided that Finn and Poe should be canon.

I want both sub groups to fight it out.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

http://m.toledoblade.com/TV-Radio/2016/01/14/7-WTOL-employees-fired-for-playing-Cards-Against-Humanity.html

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Oscar Isaac kind of hinted in some interviews that his future love interest is apparent in TFA. He really only talks to BB8 and Finn, so I'm personally hoping for it to be BB8.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Eponine posted:

Oscar Isaac kind of hinted in some interviews that his future love interest is apparent in TFA. He really only talks to BB8 and Finn, so I'm personally hoping for it to be BB8.

Worst ben-wah balls ever.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Phanatic posted:

Worst ben-wah balls ever.

:eyepop:

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

Star Wars is full of schadenfreude. I have never seen a film series whose creator selling the property to a third-party outright has led to a significant increase in quality across the board. And you are absolutely right: there's more believable romance in Episode 7 than there is in Episodes 1-3. It's astounding.

chitoryu12 posted:

I still think the dialogue was one of the best improvements over the originals. Everyone in TFA generally speaks like actual people and the jokes are jokes, not slapstick comedy thrown into the middle of drama or a battle scene.

The whole tone makes sense as opposed to the Marketing Mad Libsity of the prequel trilogy.

The beauty is that the two in the foreground are related. The background kid just happens to fall at the same time. Poetry in motion.

Samfucius posted:

Hmm. Never considered this but it makes a bit of sense.

I thought it would be really cool if he became a non-jedi (or force-using in general) lightsaber expert. We saw Grievious do it (kinda), so it's possible, and I would love to see someone just be a pure sword fighter: no magic and a minimum of guns. And Finn wasn't terrible with the saber despite a complete lack of training.

I liked that as well: the lightsaber suddenly isn't only for Jedi/Sith, but it's their preferred weapon. That doesn't mean you can't get really good with it, however, but having the Force isn't a prereq.

Kay Kessler posted:

"The field test is over. Cut power to the android children."

This is awesome. Continue being awesome.

Roro posted:

"When I said to sweep them off their feet with your ice-skating, I didn't mean like this!"

We need another edition of Blanka is a Jerk for this. Or a Ryu Hurricane Kick.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WImgnGXwpjU

5:50 is just magical. There's plenty of idiots to be found, but holy poo poo that last one is amazing.

I want one of them cars.

Oh, poo poo that was last week's. Here's the new one : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBkh2e6HYqo

Stupid_Sexy_Flander has a new favorite as of 20:50 on Jan 15, 2016

Eggbeater Jesus
Sep 21, 2008

Add a dab of lavender to milk. Leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it.
So some idiot who spent literally all of her money on Powerball tickets tried to crowdsource her money back.

quote:

With your small donation of at least $1.00, a like and one share, I’m certain that we will be able to pick ourselves up from the trenches of this lost and spend another fortune trying to hit it big again! PLEASE, won’t you help a family in need. DONATE NOW.

The GoFundMe page has come down, go figure.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

Whoever wins, we win.

Finn/Poe? Fundies lose their poo poo
Finn/Rey? MRAs and White Supremacists lose their poo poo.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I remember someone linking a thread on stormfront called "beautiful white women", which was full of models. Then one dude pointed out that basically every single one of them wasn't a pure blood (some of them 100% latino or jewish), and people started losing their poo poo and doing mental gymnastics to explain why they found them attractive.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Oh, poo poo that was last week's. Here's the new one : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBkh2e6HYqo

I'm the homicidal guitarist at 3:42.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

I legitimately would not be surprised if Finn/Poe is canon. Look at the way they look at each other and interact. If they were a man and a woman, everyone would be tripping over themselves to describe why the two of them have romantic chemistry.

I really hope they go full on gay with Star Wars. After making a movie with a black guy, Hispanic guy, and a woman as the protagonists, making the black and Hispanic guys gay lovers would actually kill someone on Return of Kings.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

I legitimately would not be surprised if Finn/Poe is canon. Look at the way they look at each other and interact. If they were a man and a woman, everyone would be tripping over themselves to describe why the two of them have romantic chemistry.

I really hope they go full on gay with Star Wars. After making a movie with a black guy, Hispanic guy, and a woman as the protagonists, making the black and Hispanic guys gay lovers would actually kill someone on Return of Kings.

Imagine all the beet red faces screaming in rage 'BUT MY CHILDHOOD' as they keel over and die, their hand reaching for the Fiery Cheetos like it's a loving snowglobe.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Somebody add Rambo firing a machine gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

I guess inline skating is making a comeback.