Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Thread... :mediocre:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The biggest draw for me is the fact that the game could be really good and the devs have some talent, but it's completely directionless and the devs are content with making design decision based off of god mode playthroughs.

There's a time and place for that (showing off a new feature, getting to new content to show off), but if literally every stream you do involves copious cheating, then your game has problems. You shouldn't need to exploit your passion project 100% of the time just to enjoy it on-air.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Best part about starbound is getting GrimCreep'd

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

Is this game (Halfway?) actually fun? I haven't looked in this thread since the "big" winter update of 2014-2015 IIRC.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Haerc posted:

Is this game (Halfway?) actually fun? I haven't looked in this thread since the "big" winter update of 2014-2015 IIRC.

I like it, but it's even more of a motherfucker about its hit percentages than XCOM. It's also pretty repetitive for how long it is, but if you get into the story (it's good) or dig the art style (it's really good), it's fun for a mission or two at a time. I wrote a great big review of it over here.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Ahundredbux posted:

Best part about starbound is getting GrimCreep'd

One of these days Starfriend, one of these days.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ahundredbux posted:

When is the game entering alpha?

Some time before the sun explodes, I think.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Some time before the sun explodes, I think.

Wow, its still closer to launch than Star Citizen.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Never forget

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

So apparently they're implementing a hunger mechanic that works like Minecraft's (because taking pages from that heap of a game is always a good idea) where if you don't eat for long enough you starve and start taking tick damage. But, because it would be overpowered if players could just carry stores of tasty victuals with them everywhere, food now rots over time, rendering it inedible. Hooray, balance! :downs:

Shockingly, they had the foresight to make it an optional character mode so people who aren't retards don't have to put up with it. Also there's some poo poo about ugradable backpacks and fossils. 2016, year of Starbound, guys! I can feel it!

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Tin Tim posted:

Never forget

He looks so happy jumping up and down. One day, i wish to be that happy.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Cicadas! posted:

So apparently they're implementing a hunger mechanic that works like Minecraft's (because taking pages from that heap of a game is always a good idea) where if you don't eat for long enough you starve and start taking tick damage. But, because it would be overpowered if players could just carry stores of tasty victuals with them everywhere, food now rots over time, rendering it inedible. Hooray, balance! :downs:

Shockingly, they had the foresight to make it an optional character mode so people who aren't retards don't have to put up with it. Also there's some poo poo about ugradable backpacks and fossils. 2016, year of Starbound, guys! I can feel it!

"We want a Survival game... wait no... DARK SOULS... wait... PLATFORMER... gently caress it, just mix all of those."

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I always wondered what would happen if a bunch of non game dev kids with Ideas got a few million dollars to make a game

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Cicadas! posted:

Hmm, it's actually hard to get incensed about dumb poo poo like that when it's optional.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Magmarashi posted:

Hmm, it's actually hard to get incensed about dumb poo poo like that when it's optional.

Seems like a good use of dev time!

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Cicadas! posted:

Didn't they use to have a hunger system? but then they took it out in beta, and now it's coming back with a ROTTING FOOD system? :psyduck: Also why would a glitch have to eat food either way, they're robots.

Guess i'm glad that this is optional so that nobody but the :spergin:est r/starbound users would use it

spit on my clit fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 15, 2016

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
You see, in Starbound, ~immersion~ trumps actual gameplay. That's why you can't smelt things instantly or jump very high, it's all part of the experience!

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

I'm immersed!

IN A SEA OF BOILING RAGE!!! :argh:

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Calm down there, turbo

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
This is a cool new feature and all, but has anyone asked them about adding a Callus system? Basically it would be a system where using items creates enormous calluses which make using that item [i]worse[i/], and to remove them you must craft and use a special de-callusing agent (callused players won't be able to create this due to being finesse-disabled), which must be applied twice every twenty minutes until the callus softens (after which a player must attack you with a Loofah weapon to scrub them off).

To compensate, every callus gives the player half a point of health, and a full quarter of an armor point!

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
lets throw more ideas here people

- if you don't report all your pixel income every five hours you'll get arrested and fined

- walk slow... forward????

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

nerdz posted:

You should see if chucklefish are hiring :v:

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

BillmasterCozb posted:

Didn't they use to have a hunger system? but then they took it out in beta, and now it's coming back with a ROTTING FOOD system? :psyduck: Also why would a glitch have to eat food either way, they're robots.

Guess i'm glad that this is optional so that nobody but the :spergin:est r/starbound users would use it

Guess the devs played don't starve this week, huh

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

victrix posted:

I always wondered what would happen if a bunch of non game dev kids with Ideas got a few million dollars to make a game
A team lead by "I'm an idea guy"s, fueled by a few pixel artists, and like one competent coder who's forced to implement all their bad ideas.

How is it every self-touted idea guy actually only has bad ideas? I feel as though "idea guy" would actually be a worthwhile position to contribute from if they actually worked with figuring out the nitty gritty details that needed to be figured out, like how various systems interacted, how things should be balanced or streamlined to make things more fun and engaging, and so on. Not "what if food rots? that way you can't heal on the go!".

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
An idea guy does not have to consider how to implement the idea well... Or at all, that's someone else's job.

This is why 'game designer' is an actual job with actual responsibilities btw

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Vib Rib posted:

How is it every self-touted idea guy actually only has bad ideas?
Because people who tout themselves as "idea guys" are in charge, whereas if they're not in charge, the person above them smacks them with a rolled up newspaper when they have bad ideas like touting themselves as "idea guys".

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

dragon's dogma has rotting food and dark souls-esque combat. it's also a good game. starbound is not.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I love how they think the game still doesn't have enough bullshit and have to add an extra mode so people won't complain.
i wonder who's the target audience they're making this game for.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

nerdz posted:

- if you don't report all your pixel income every five hours you'll get arrested and fined

new planet type, Riker Sex Vacation Planet, when you go there a bunch of Rikers flirt with you forever and if you don't mine the Rikers right all the ores'll vanish

matter manipulators no longer function if you hold the button down, you have to 'time' your pulses with a 'timing-based challenge'

Psycho Mantis detects if you have a Terraria save file and makes fun of you for being a surface casual, Psycho Mantis now voiced by Tiy

Riker-based gear

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

grimcreaper posted:

One of these days Starfriend, one of these days.

Mom, MOM, Joe GrimCreep'd me again! Make him stop!

Velkest
Mar 1, 2014
after the hit that was Don't Starve comes

Don't Make a Good Game

by a different developer

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Patware posted:

Riker-based gear

This for real, though

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Magmarashi posted:

Well that depends, is the Food Rot optional too? Can I be merely :sigh: disappointed there?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
to be honest, i wouldn't be surprised if this was only a step towards making survival the only available mode when it's done. they don't have the resources or focus to keep two different modes balanced.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

nerdz posted:

to be honest, i wouldn't be surprised if this was only a step towards making survival the only available mode when it's done. they don't have the resources or focus to keep two different modes balanced.

No, the problem is they keep trying to make too many games into one game, so I'd say plotting it up is probably a step in the right direction.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

nerdz posted:

That'll probably be right around the time they slap on a 1.0 and run off into the London night with naught but a few million dollars and broken dreams of haskell pirates.

In brighter news I played some Terraria this weekend for the first time since like 2011. I'm really surprised how much extra content that's actually cool and fun has been added since I last played. Good job, Red.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Johnny Joestar posted:

dragon's dogma has rotting food

It also has storage that stops the rot that you can use anywhere, and the process of rotting alters the components over time.

It's not a half-arsed system because you can mitigate it, and it leads somewhere other than a grind.

Johnny Joestar posted:

It's also a good game. starbound is not.

Word.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I wish I had a dragon dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Hav posted:

It also has storage that stops the rot that you can use anywhere, and the process of rotting alters the components over time.

It's not a half-arsed system because you can mitigate it, and it leads somewhere other than a grind.

You actually want to let food rot a little bit, the effects get boosted right before it goes bad. They took a system that's usually a blanket negative/penalty and made it into an actual game system, DD team rules.

• Locked thread