Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Going to disagree here slightly. The sheet metal screws into the shoes is actually the best thing that I have found for traction while running. Yaktraks suck and break at least once a winter, and the traction isnt anything great, really only good for walking. Microspikes are a nice go between for when you don't need full fledged crampons but want more than yaktraks, but they are also expensive around $50 or so last I checked. And you wouldn't want to run in those either.

When you are putting in those screws you get the tiniest shortest ones you can and after a bit learn where to put them. I generally put them on the outside edge with a few in the middle, avoiding the middle of the heel and the ball of the big toe. They are amazing for running outside with though, and even some light hiking. I prefer them to anything else for that single purpose.

huh, never had yaktrax break on me yet but then I'm also not running in them and don't use them super often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Verman posted:

Check costco. They had some spikes for $10 in small and large sizes that go right over your boots. Made of silicone rubber and have metal spikes on the bottom. Might need a piece of paracord to keep them from falling off but other than that they were a no brainer at $10.

I'm sure they're not micro spike level and I haven't had a chance to use them yet but they seem like they'll do just fine as their actual tungston? spikes.

I'm obsessed with headlamps and traction devices for some reason and have bought and tried way to many types of each. I have a pair of those spikes from Costco and they are so so . For the price they are worth it for walking and very light traction only. I wasnt getting much traction with them just walking with my dog uphill on packed snow at the dog park. On hardened ice over pavement they are OK. Definitely wouldn't take them on a long mountainous uphill hike but for around the neighborhood they are fine.

MMD3 posted:

huh, never had yaktrax break on me yet but then I'm also not running in them and don't use them super often.
Maybe I'm just hard on them? I do put a lot of miles on them each winter and have never had a pair last me the whole season. I know a lot of friends who seem to burn through them too. Usually in either extreme cold or over some harder surfaces the springs seem to eat into the rubber and then break off after a bit.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

OSU_Matthew posted:

Yup, basically. I used to just tie the cabiner directly into the webbing with a marlin spike hitch, but adjusting meant retying the knot. The buckle, on the other hand, allows you easily adjust your hang. The hammock is attached to the buckle, which just slides onto the tree straps. Basically it's just a lot easier than messing around with toggles and untangling gobs of whoopies, which is great in the cold. it's virtually identical weight wise, maybe an extra ounce or two, but it's more reliable and you don't have to worry about the amsteel retreating back in on itself, or the weight shifting from the knot to the toggle, breaking it. Plus, the whoopies are just absurdly long, there's no reason to have (in my case) 42 combined feet of suspension.

Of course, that's just my experience, there's no right or wrong way to hang. I just really like it and wanted to share the latest and greatest in my book.

Right on. Thanks for helping me understand.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I'm obsessed with headlamps

Me too! I probably have like 6-8 of them and still have not found my perfect one. What is your favorite? I am digging the Black Diamond Spot, which is perfect but for that dumb dumb tough brightness control. I keep meaning to try and crack one open to see if I can disable it.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

bongwizzard posted:

Me too! I probably have like 6-8 of them and still have not found my perfect one. What is your favorite? I am digging the Black Diamond Spot, which is perfect but for that dumb dumb tough brightness control. I keep meaning to try and crack one open to see if I can disable it.

My current favorite is the Black Diamond Sprinter. I like the combined rear safety light and the fact that its a rechargeable lithium ion. I've gotten good performance out of it even in cold weather. The battery last a long time even at max strength.

Have you ever used one of those ZebraLights? That will probably be the next model that I buy to test out.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

bongwizzard posted:

Favorite for brightness: Ayup lighting system. Nothing brighter.
Favorite for small size/weight? .75oz bicycle handlebar LED lamp. Very bright for its small size. I hold it or wrap it around my pole/my finger. Basically this
The one I keep in my car and I won't get pissed if it gets lost/stolen: Petzel Zipka

My wife has a generic mid-line Black Diamond that was cheap and it's decent. I use it for walking the dogs around the neighborhood when I have to pick up after them.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
I have a BD Revolt that I like a lot. It's bright enough that it doesn't get washed out by my friends' headlamps while night climbing, the wide mode is a good level of brightness for fidgeting in my sleeping bag, and I can charge it in my car between trips. You can open it up and use standard non rechargeable batteries in a pinch, too.

The single button brightness control is kind of dumb and I'll never use the red mode.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

bongwizzard posted:

:hfive: on the BD Spot, that's the best headlamp I've found so far too.

Only thing that makes it suck for me is the lack of decent AAA batteries. Rechargeable NiMH cells rapidly self discharge and have low energy density (only exception being Eneloops which are still ultimately meh), and the form factor is too small to cram lithium cells with rechargeable circuitry/voltage limiters. IMO, there's absolutely no reason to use AAA batteries in TYOOL 2016.

My budget can't afford it right now, but I think that this Fenix headlamp with rechargeable lithium cell is high up on my upgrade list. The Tools thread was just talking about these things the other day, people over there quite like them.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 13, 2016

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Huh, I think I am getting pretty good battery life out of mine, but I also use high quality lithium batteries. I have been eyeing some Eneloops but have not bought any yet. I am very prejudiced against rechargeable batteries in general, but I admit to not having owned any in like a decade.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

bongwizzard posted:

Huh, I think I am getting pretty good battery life out of mine, but I also use high quality lithium batteries. I have been eyeing some Eneloops but have not bought any yet. I am very prejudiced against rechargeable batteries in general, but I admit to not having owned any in like a decade.

I use enloops in some Petzels I have kicking around and have been really pleased with them. Amazon is now making a generic battery that is supposed to be identical to an enloop that I want to try out.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
^^ I've picked up thirty Amazon basics AAA and AA batteries for my workplace, and they're honestly pretty mediocre. Save your cash.

bongwizzard posted:

Yeah, NiMH rechargeables outside eneloops suck, and even eneloops aren't particularly outstanding in any way. A lithium single use battery is about the only good way to go, but I just don't want to spend ten bucks on fresh batteries every time I go out. These headlamps that use rechargeable 1850 lithium cells look like they might be the way to go... I'm really tempted to pick one up.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 13, 2016

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I keep six fresh lithium batteries and an empty Spot in my emergency kit and then bring a second light with me if I know I am going to be out after dark. For my daily use light I just buy whatever battery is cheapest or get barely used ones free from work. I want rechargeable to replace the daily use ones, I will never give up on lithiums for poo poo that has to work.

I do live event production work and I have never met an audio guy who trusts rechargeable batteries for mics and such. Duracell Procells are what almost everyone uses, they seem to be the best balance between quality and price. But people will replace them after even a minute of use, so I harvest used batteries for my stuff.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
They still suck compared to the non-rechargeable ones.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Life or death stuff gets lithium cells, everything else on eneloops. Tossing batteries on the regular isn't exactly super great for mother nature.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I use the red light on my headlamp all the time. During the winter I do a fair amount of hiking and xc skiing in the dark and it is perfect for giving you just enough ambient light to see where you're going.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

The red light is perfect for hanging out at camp, eating some grub, and not being that huge dick who shines a spotlight in everyone's face.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Red is great for when you don't need a lot of light like in your tent, eating, etc. It keeps your night vision in tact and doesn't disturb others with jarring bright light.

I love my princeton tec remix. I've had it for about 5 years and use it all the time. Its bright and the aaa batteries last a long time. I don't trust rechargeable batteries when I'm in the backcountry and need the light to work. I also keep fresh lithium spares in my first aid kit in case something happens.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
screw thing kind of makes sense from an ultralight perspective. i was considering doing that to my boots because they literally only get chosen over my trailrunners when it's snowy/icy outside but i have a hard time justifying doing that to pretty much new boots.

if you're going to go the spikes route, microspikes or bust though. there's nothing more annoying than having your spikes constantly slip off your boots & microspikes are the only ones i've used that do a remotely decent job of staying on your feet.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I'm on my 4th winter with a pair of icetrekkers diamond and they haven't fallen apart yet unlike every other traction device I've tried (lots of steep hiking on boulders and scree fields around here destroy them quick), so I'm happy with em.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Been needing a new sleeping bag for Texas camping. I see the Kelty Cosmic 41 on clearance at REI. Is that still the standard budget pick for a bag?

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

SaltLick posted:

Been needing a new sleeping bag for Texas camping. I see the Kelty Cosmic 41 on clearance at REI. Is that still the standard budget pick for a bag?

What part of Texas and when? That should treat you right for most of the year in most of the state.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Does anyone have experience with sleeping bag liners? I own a down mummy bag rated for -7C and while it would be great to fork over $1000 for a -40 bag, I can't.

I have to spend a night outside without a tent in the mountains, and it could be cold. Potentially -25 or lower.

Are there decent options for liners that can help make it a little more bearable? I get to bring 3 luxury items, and a sleeping bag is one of my options. Instead of getting a whole new bag, I hope there is just a liner option I can go with.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
A sleeping bag liner might add a few (-5C extra tops) degrees comfort level to your bag... But your plan to sleep outside in predicted -25C temperatures without shelter sounds dangerous. I've done -12C in similar equipment and woke up shivering.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
FYI, it costs more than $1000 to retrieve your body from the mountain and bury you, or even treat you for hypothermia.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Pretty sure she's doing it for her outdoor Ed/leadership course at uni. Picnic Princess isn't just some idiot with a wild hair up their rear end that wants to go snow camping.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
A couple of things you could do to make the situation described above a bit more comfortable:

- use a tent, not a tarp
- place it in a sheltered position
- all air vents closed. Condensation will suck but it will hold more warm air inside.
- fill the tent to capacity (3p tent = 3 people sleep inside
- use a bag liner
- wear dry long woollen undies top and bottom, dry loose fitting socks, a knitted cap
- don't drink alcohol
- drink a hot beverage and eat something fatty before going to sleep

This won't win you 10℃ but it will all at least help.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Picnic Princess posted:

Does anyone have experience with sleeping bag liners? I own a down mummy bag rated for -7C and while it would be great to fork over $1000 for a -40 bag, I can't.

I have to spend a night outside without a tent in the mountains, and it could be cold. Potentially -25 or lower.

Are there decent options for liners that can help make it a little more bearable? I get to bring 3 luxury items, and a sleeping bag is one of my options. Instead of getting a whole new bag, I hope there is just a liner option I can go with.

Bring a big rear end quilt? That's what I did for similar temps although I had a 0 f bag

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I forgot about the metric system and was like damm, Internet lady is gonna die if she hast to get up and pee. I have been outdoors at -25f once before and I was barely able to do more then slowly trudge forward.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Also, could you by a cheap XL synthetic bag that fits over your nicer one?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

bongwizzard posted:

I forgot about the metric system and was like damm, Internet lady is gonna die if she hast to get up and pee. I have been outdoors at -25f once before and I was barely able to do more then slowly trudge forward.

-25c is still -13f which is cold as balls

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Picnic Princess posted:

You just have to sleep out one night with three things? Do you have to go somewhere in particular or do you just get dropped off somewhere at 8pm and they pick you up at 8am?

If it was a ton of snow: shovel, sleeping pad, and sleeping bag and it wouldn't even be dangerous.

edit: Also I'm sure you're aware but most of those ratings are super subjective and based on wearing minimal clothing (usually) - just wear your coat and pants in the bag and it'll automatically bring up the temp. Liners suck

Vomik fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 16, 2016

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Picnic Princess posted:

Loft is the only thing keeping your warmth. Stuffing more poo poo in the same bag only works up to a point. Can you not borrow one?

I'd bring a bigass pad and a micheling man grade midlayer.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Either y'all are intentionally obtuse or just suck at reading.

If someone says "I have to spend the night outside without a tent" and your advice is "bring a tent" you are dumb as hell.

Picnic Princess you're a pretty crafty lady, have you considered making your own flannel liner? Liners in my experience are probably only going to add 4-8c, make sure you use a good ground pad. But I think you learned that last winter with your last escapade.

Stay dry!

Edit: My real advice is dump the liner, bring a stove and boil some water before bed. Stick it in your water bottle and tuck it in your crotch or armpit. That's what I do when snow camping.

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 16, 2016

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

SeaborneClink posted:

Either y'all are intentionally obtuse or just suck at reading.

If someone says "I have to spend the night outside without a tent" and your advice is "bring a tent" you are dumb as hell.

Or, you know, I skipped 3 words in the post. My apologies.

Anyway, sleeping in -25℃ with minimal gear is loving dangerous. I don't understand what the deal is, you can bring 3 luxury items? Does that mean any 3 non-tent items apart from the clothes on your back?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

This night out is for a course through my program. Always the same weekend, temperature doesn't matter. I'm actually relieved I get three items, I thought up until last week I could only take what fit in my pockets and a coffee tin emergency kit.

I could see about borrowing a better bag, or making my own fleece liner. I'm lucky I have a ridiculously warm parka, I only actually do it up if it's -25C or lower. Otherwise I get too hot. It should help though. I would have loved to get my own super warm bag but I'm just not able to spare that kind of money right now.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

Yeah okay, but where's the line between regular item and luxury item? Headlamp, backpack, spare clothes, food, trekking poles, tarp, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, ...

Like, if you don't get a headlamp as a free item and you're supposed to be going out into the mountains in the dark, my response would be: "gently caress you guys, I'm going home."

Same for sleeping bag, pad and tarp really. Protection from the elements is important in those temperatures.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
As someone mentioned what's the terrain going to be like? If there's a lot of snow you can probably build a snow cave which means you won't have to have as nearly a warm of bag as otherwise. Regardless you need some kind of shelter whether it's a tent or snow cave or being able to build some shelter out of available materials

Then again I'm no expert on this it's just that at those temps you really need to have something to help hold some heat in around you

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Snow levels might not be high enough, it's in the foothills of the Rockies which tends to not get a while ton of snow as it usually drops on the mountains themselves.

I'll know the stipulations of what luxury items are once I start doing the course, we do are few days classroom work before we actually go. We were given a short list of potential items which is why I know about those ones. Taking a tent is an automatic fail.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

bongwizzard posted:

-30c and -30f really isn't very far apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Picnic Princess posted:

I took a similar outdoor class a couple of years ago when I lived in Alaska. I bought the warmest rated liner I could find:
http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Summit-Re...eping+bag+liner
and used that along with an inflatable down sleeping pad from Exped. I also wrapped myself in one of those emergency blankets inside the bag. I dont know how much warmth that emergency bag gave me, it mostly just seemed to keep me awake with all of that crinkeling noise it would make when I'd move. It might have helped with the wind slightly I suppose. Hopefully a sleeping pad isnt going to be considered a "luxury item" I think a good pad or two will have a greater warming effect than a liner would.

I'd also make sure you are good and layered up when you go to sleep and try the warm nalgene bottle tucked in with you to bed trick if the bottle and the stove are considered non luxury items. Good luck! You'll survive it just wont be comfortable.