Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eddain
May 6, 2007

Pimpmust posted:

Spending money won't save you in GW unless you're spending enough to get a 7 starred team that can go up against the other super whale super teams and I dunno what the hell you are supposed to do if you get 2-3 of those teams in a row towards the end. You can't out heal high level dps, or stall long enough (due having too much dps yourself).

Yeah, when enemies regularly crit you for double your max HP there's not much you can do. Like they fixed Leia's 4th attack but they didn't do anything about FOTP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
I was just amused by the guy claiming to have spent $1500 also claiming he's not a whale.

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

heh, you think you can withstand the power of my solarbeam?

Davethulhu posted:

I was just amused by the guy claiming to have spent $1500 also claiming he's not a whale.

Nice save I thought that was a regular post by you! Sad thing is, in this game I don't even know if $1.5K would count as a true whale, there are definitely people who have dropped five figures+ into this game at the highest levels. On the level of whales, he'd be an orca as opposed to a beluga or blue!

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

oops wrong forum posted:

Nice save I thought that was a regular post by you! Sad thing is, in this game I don't even know if $1.5K would count as a true whale, there are definitely people who have dropped five figures+ into this game at the highest levels. On the level of whales, he'd be an orca as opposed to a beluga or blue!

Dropping that kind of money on a phone game just blows my mind. I joined about a week after a friend did, and while I am able to place <100 in the arena, he's stuck at like 2000 because apparently he ended up in some sort of hell ranking full of 7 star purples.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Realistically $1000 Wil get you almost everyone from the chromium pool at 6*+ with a lot being 7*.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

How can you spend more than like 10 on this game, it doesn't even pretend to have a story or to hide its Sisyphean grind. I guess if you really wanted to beat up other lunatics who spent hundreds to only 5 star Cad Bane...

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
It really is comical how very little you get for dropping 60 bucks on this game to buy packs.

You'd be better served spending 20 and having a massive crystal reserve to do your daily minimum cantina/battle refreshes.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Dely Apple posted:

How can you spend more than like 10 on this game, it doesn't even pretend to have a story or to hide its Sisyphean grind. I guess if you really wanted to beat up other lunatics who spent hundreds to only 5 star Cad Bane...

Instant gratification is a hell of a drug.

Btw, steam rolled GW today. Not one single dead character, and only loaded maybe 3 times. Maybe they just made it piss easy to complete to try to make everyone happy?

Chilichimp posted:

It really is comical how very little you get for dropping 60 bucks on this game to buy packs.

You'd be better served spending 20 and having a massive crystal reserve to do your daily minimum cantina/battle refreshes.

The Dooku pack was worth its weight in gold, though.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

No, its still random as hell. Got nothing but Phasma/Sid/Dooku plus tanks/healers today :negative:

And the AI really likes to Focus fire, losing a character in the first or second round is just annoying in this game mode.

Dooku: 1500+ dmg x2, sid dodging two attacks while stunned, my entire team down to 10-40% health and then the enemy Barriss heals the entire team to full :shepicide:

This is bullshit team nr 3 I've faced and there’s 2 more to go If I get past it

B team managed to take 2 bars of the Dooku before being wiped out. Problem is the Chewie when my taunt is on cooldown, and their Lumi with her 3,5k nuke that bust any of my squishies on round 3...

Cracked it by brute forcing a team and attack order that allowed me to kill wounded Dooku, and Chewie first before taking out Sid and then Lumi. Came out perfect.
What's behind door nr 2? +1 lvl team with resistance trooper and pilot, led by... Asajj??

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 15, 2016

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Just started playing this. Spent some play credits and got Darth maul. Is he any good? I can't use him yet apparently.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

The Walrus posted:

Just started playing this. Spent some play credits and got Darth maul. Is he any good? I can't use him yet apparently.

Getting characters outright is very rare, you probably just got a shard for said character. That said hes pretty badass but you can't grind for him in missions so even if you had unlocked the full char; you'd only use him for a month or so unless you were gonna whale hardcore.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Chilichimp posted:

100% yes. Packs are only good if you are going to buy a lot of packs. Otherwise, your 50 bucks is better spent on either (i) gems to use for refreshes or (ii) a character pack if you really want that character. Honestly, 7400 gems for 50 bucks would probably last you months of refreshing pretty liberally and would really speed up progress. Buying 20 chromium pulls isn't going to do much for you unless you get REALLY lucky and get multiple packs of the same character.

And for the record, $1500 = whale status. But I'm definitely not hating. To each their own. :)

Anyway, despite all the crying going over GW, I had no problem finishing it today with one team: Barriss, Lumi, Kylo, Sid and Poe. Poe is really helpful for taunting but only when someone is actually low on damage. And Barriss is the MVP because of her heals through the debuff.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Mooktastical posted:

Instant gratification is a hell of a drug.

Btw, steam rolled GW today. Not one single dead character, and only loaded maybe 3 times. Maybe they just made it piss easy to complete to try to make everyone happy?

The Dooku pack was worth its weight in gold, though.

Well, yeah, that's undeniable. I'm talking about the Chromium packs and, to a certain extent, the bundles.

I also steam rolled GW today, and was somewhat shocked by this.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna say it, the dumb Bronzium packs shouldn't award a loving thing but shards (commonly) or characters (rarely). Getting 300 credits or a piece of gear that none of my toons can put to use is loving ridiculous.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

OxMan posted:

Getting characters outright is very rare, you probably just got a shard for said character. That said hes pretty badass but you can't grind for him in missions so even if you had unlocked the full char; you'd only use him for a month or so unless you were gonna whale hardcore.

I think it was the full character. Did a cool dark side music riff. So I can't level him up in missions? But the non named dudes I can? I guess I don't really understand wtf is going on.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Pimpmust posted:

No, its still random as hell. Got nothing but Phasma/Sid/Dooku plus tanks/healers today :negative:

And the AI really likes to Focus fire, losing a character in the first or second round is just annoying in this game mode.

Dooku: 1500+ dmg x2, sid dodging two attacks while stunned, my entire team down to 10-40% health and then the enemy Barriss heals the entire team to full :shepicide:

This is bullshit team nr 3 I've faced and there’s 2 more to go If I get past it

B team managed to take 2 bars of the Dooku before being wiped out. Problem is the Chewie when my taunt is on cooldown, and their Lumi with her 3,5k nuke that bust any of my squishies on round 3...

Cracked it by brute forcing a team and attack order that allowed me to kill wounded Dooku, and Chewie first before taking out Sid and then Lumi. Came out perfect.
What's behind door nr 2? +1 lvl team with resistance trooper and pilot, led by... Asajj??

My strategy of supplementing fairly tanky dps (Sid and Kylo right now) with 3 healers - JC, Lumi, and Daka - has been bearing fruit. I'll switch in Phasma to take over lead for Sid if I need to bench Daka, but that's only necessary for fights where she's getting focus fired.

The Walrus posted:

I think it was the full character. Did a cool dark side music riff. So I can't level him up in missions? But the non named dudes I can? I guess I don't really understand wtf is going on.

Character shards can be found outside of (pay only) chromium packs in missions, but only for certain characters. We call that farmable. Unless you get more Maul shards from Bronziums, which is super rare, you will have to pay to level his star ranking.

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 15, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Chilichimp posted:

I'm gonna say it, the dumb Bronzium packs shouldn't award a loving thing but shards (commonly) or characters (rarely). Getting 300 credits or a piece of gear that none of my toons can put to use is loving ridiculous.

Well, you do get like 7 guaranteed a day. They would probably want to reduce that rate if they made them good.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Well, you do get like 7 guaranteed a day. They would probably want to reduce that rate if they made them good.

7 randomly awarded character shards/day is almost as worthless as meaningless amounts of money and gear that you don't need... but it at least FEELS meaningful to the F2P player who, after years of playing, can finally unlock that Elusive Quigon 2*

It's why games like PAD throw free stones at players, you're not going to have the kind of stable that a whale does, but you can at least HAVE a stable.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Actually I forgot that you only get single shards from them, not 12 like the others one. That would be fine.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah, Future Fight really does hand out 1-3 star characters like candy, in a month you can have basically every character unlocked (although keeping them all leveled, geared and skilled up is another matter). It's just 5-6-7 stars that take way more shards.

It's not like <5 star characters are terribly useful after like a month of playing, and keeping them topped up on stuff and XP is bonkers expensive regardless. 1-2 stars should basically be a demo of the character, easily obtainable (say 5-15 shard cost, so a day to unlock).

e: managed to pull out a win vs the last team in GW. Lvl 60, so 2 levels above me and plenty purple - Darth Vader, Secura, Kit Fisto (those two prevents AoE let me tell you), Luminara and Sid. Only reason I stood a chance was because the rare ones were all 4 stars and that I still had my chaff C team to send in to absorb Vader, Sids and Fisto AoE spam (had like 5 ticking DoTs :stare:).

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 15, 2016

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

Just started playing and unlocked my ally code 143-682-516, this game is pretty fun so far but I think that's mainly because of all the STAR WARS, the sound effects and music always gets me. I just hope the newbie tips are still relevant since right now I'm just focusing on unlocking as much as I can at the moment.

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
Al bisogno si conosce l'amico
I think making hard mode guaranteed shards would help a lot of players. It's only 3 shards a day and would feel like progress instead of, so often, feeling like wasted energy

They could limit crystal refreshes, too.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

3 shards guaranteed (with like... 40% drop rate) a day is how FF does it, but they don't do "hard battles" and the fights cost 4 energy. It's very fair, and the GoH devs might make changes once they feel they got more content in the game, but I'm betting they'll keep the high energy cost for now (if for nothing else to make energy cost lowering events feel awesome).

Tyberius posted:

Just started playing and unlocked my ally code 143-682-516, this game is pretty fun so far but I think that's mainly because of all the STAR WARS, the sound effects and music always gets me. I just hope the newbie tips are still relevant since right now I'm just focusing on unlocking as much as I can at the moment.

Added you.

Pro tips:
1) Always buy the credits stuff (equipment prototype stuff, scroll down past the character shards) in the cantina, it's used for upgrading people and can come in handy later even if it doesn't fit any of your current characters at their current equipment rank.
2) Once you unlock Galactic Wars, focus on one character. Favorite flavor right now is Luminara 'cause she's another healer that also hits like a truck. Phasma is number two there, you can either alternative shipments between the two or focus on getting one up to star rating... 5 or so, but you should get both. Poggle is another good character there, if you are rocking droids.
3) Talia is going to be your only dark side healer for a long while, focus all your Squad Cantina tokens on getting Old Daka for dark side healer nr 2. Poe Dameron is also good, but not as crucial.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Rubicon posted:

I think making hard mode guaranteed shards would help a lot of players. It's only 3 shards a day and would feel like progress instead of, so often, feeling like wasted energy

They could limit crystal refreshes, too.

Spending 36 energy and not getting a single shard is such a punch in the balls. It will take MONTHS AND MONTHS to farm a single character through hard mode farming.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Pimpmust posted:

Spending money won't save you in GW unless you're spending enough to get a 7 starred team that can go up against the other super whale super teams and I dunno what the hell you are supposed to do if you get 2-3 of those teams in a row towards the end. You can't out heal high level dps, or stall long enough (due having too much dps yourself).

If you had a stable of 20 or so 4-5 star chars you'll beat the GW every time. A Whale will have that just from trying to get a 7 star Leia or whatever. It's not about one team that dominates but having the depth to replace losses. Today I started with my core Phasma, Lumi, Sid, Kylo, JC team, and ended with Bariss, 5s, Dakka, Sid, Poe. But I did finish it.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Pimpmust posted:

3) Talia is going to be your only dark side healer for a long while, focus all your Squad Cantina tokens on getting Old Daka for dark side healer nr 2. Poe Dameron is also good, but not as crucial.

I'm starting to really disagree with this. Yes, postponing Daka postpones dark side progress, but Chewie falls off in arena and GW so goddamn hard. I would recommend getring Poe to 4 or 5 stars before working on Daka. Besides, with the amount of gear farming you have to do in this game in your 50s, progressing becomes really unimportant. I haven't touched new dark side missions since I unlocked Daka because I can already farm the gear I need.

There are a few things that make Poe super broken:
1) he's fast, and if you level gear/star him, he will be one of the first to go
2) if you also level/star/gear Luke, and use him as lead, your Poe will have ~70% Tenacity
3) his taunt lasts 2 turns, and when you use it, it has a chance reduce turn meters of opponents, and proc a debuff that will deal % health the next time they take damage.

Combining these things makes him buff on both offence and defence in GE and Arena. Getting a good Arena team early is going to make the biggest difference long term because you can earn 300+ crystals per day (depebding on your bracket. Also, early on, I would recommend putting 50 crystals per day in arena until your power level is similar with those around you...the faster you get to sub 100, the faster you level Sid and start earning crystals back.

So, if you plan to get Poe first, you should also get Luke first in Cantina (and he's only level 2 missions).
The rest of the OP is still pretty good.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Malgrin posted:

I'm starting to really disagree with this. Yes, postponing Daka postpones dark side progress, but Chewie falls off in arena and GW so goddamn hard. I would recommend getring Poe to 4 or 5 stars before working on Daka. Besides, with the amount of gear farming you have to do in this game in your 50s, progressing becomes really unimportant. I haven't touched new dark side missions since I unlocked Daka because I can already farm the gear I need.

Mk 3 sensor array needed for some tier 8 gear at least only drops from 6g dark. I'm pretty sure there were others or ones that dropped a tier sooner as well.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Hughlander posted:

Mk 3 sensor array needed for some tier 8 gear at least only drops from 6g dark. I'm pretty sure there were others or ones that dropped a tier sooner as well.

Weird. I have 4/5 of my main squad at G7 (Lumi, JC, Sid, Luke), and 5 (R. Pilot) is just a matter of farming laptops and a couple other things. I'm at Dark 5C and I haven't seen anything I've needed to farm at a higher level (yet). I'm level 58, and that's actually stopped me from farming for a couple of them (Sid, Lumi, Luke).

e: Oh, for G8. Yeah, if you're at the point where all of your team is at G7 and waiting for G8, you might not need Daka to clear dark 5, because you will probably be level 60.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Poe is good, but so is Daka. Both can be pretty nasty, but Daka's healing is pretty useful and rare at the same time, while the game kinda drowns you in good light side characters early on. Hell, get both eventually, but Cantina tokens drop in so drat slowly compared to Arena/GW unless you are burning 300+ crystals a day there.

Them moving the roof to 70 is really gonna delay me having a decent B/C team. So much leveling gear :negative:

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 15, 2016

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

What the gently caress is this garbage? I'm level 50 btw.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

:captainpop:

That's the game telling you to roll for anal circumference.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Pimpmust posted:

Poe is good, but so is Daka. Both can be pretty nasty, but Daka's healing is pretty useful and rare at the same time, while the game kinda drowns you in good light side characters early on. Hell, get both eventually, but Cantina tokens drop in so drat slowly compared to Arena/GW unless you are burning 300+ crystals a day there.

There is something to be said for the rarity of dark side characters. However, I think unlocking Poe first will help more in Arena, because you can get JC/Lumi to decent levels so easily. I think that once you level Daka, she is SO much better than JC (and probably Lumi), but she requires so much time invested in character shards before she gets there. Poe, on the other hand, if you go straight for him, will immediately be relevant in Arena at 3*, and just gets better at 4 and 5. When I see an arena team with Daka, I focus her first. When I see an arena team with Poe, I pray that my Lumi goes before Poe so that I can ability block him, and MAYBE kill their SID before Poe taunts. Otherwise, it's 3-5 exposes, and I usually lose 1-2 members before I take Poe down, because those exposes are so goddamn broken.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Not arguing with you there. I got 3 star Poe for free so maybe I'm undervaluing putting effort into him first.

Throw in Poggle's offense up and roll in the pain train.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Since I'm going for 5* phasma, I'm actually doing 5s then Dakka. I have Poe, just so many characters for so limited a resource...

However with farmable Dooku, I'm dropping 300 crystals a day on Arena so at least the shards are coming....

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

afkmacro posted:

That's an example of GW being "fair and consistent".

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

afkmacro posted:

I was gonna say that today I had the easiest GW in a while, but this looks tougher than anything I faced (I'm level 57).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jibo posted:

That's an example of GW being "fair and consistent".

They didn't do that part yet, you big baby.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I've said before it'll take like 7-8 months to max a character like Rey with current HM drop rates.

Which by the way is loving retarded. 315 shards I think you need and that's just off the top of my head. It's appalling how bad the rates are.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 15, 2016

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Zotix posted:

I've said before it'll take like 7-8 months to max a character like Rey with current HM drop rates.

That's just dumb. I like how Heroes Charge did it. You weren't guaranteed a drop each time, but you were guaranteed to get at least one drop out of 2 attempts. So if you did 6 runs, you will get at least 3 pieces every time. Sure, you might get 4 or 5, but never less than 3. I cannot stand getting 0 out of 6 or 9 attempts. It's just stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
At level 58, I was just barely able to finish GW. I was lucky in that the last three levels were only level 60, and not higher yet, but it took my entire squad to finish it. I was down to my last 4 heroes for the last battle, and a couple of them weren't even leveled up. Without being able to snipe a hero, then retreat, this game just got a lot harder.

• Locked thread