Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

GotLag posted:

Do those emergency stops engage the brakes or do they just cut the power? Will they be able to tow it or will they have to cut that pillar?

Something could probably push it the 4" required to release the button I imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Arrath posted:

On all large construction equipment I've seen it shuts the motor down immediately. They'll probably just bypass the emergency shutoff to get it moved away.

And then never fix it.

It only needs to be moved a quarter of an inch away, and rollers aren't top heavy. A medium length 2x4 would probably provide enough leverage to pry it away from the post and pull the stop button.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Alternatively, give a mechanic 5 minutes and it'll never happen again!

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Arrath posted:

Alternatively, give a mechanic 5 minutes and it'll never happen again!

I worked with a pressman who used a magnet to gimmick the safety switch on our Heidelberg 4-color press. He was super-duper proud of the facts that he could open the covers to the rollers while the press was running at full speed (10,000 sheets per hour).

Ever seen a press eat someone?

NMS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVkotQ-We88 NMS

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
My dad was a pressman his entire life, and after seeing his machines, I am amazed he retired with all of his limbs intact.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

We defeated the magnetic security thing on a big laser cutter to try to laser cut someone's finger nails with the power turned down low.

Didn't work out so well, he was fine though.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Dunno-Lars posted:

That show is hilarious.

They get a old house, and try out all sort of weird things. Like what happens if you boil petrol, washing your car with a fire fighting helicopter, water in a grease fire in the kitchen, seasoning meat with a shotgun and lot's of stuff with explosives. It's a great show, they have a lot out on Youtube.

It's Norwegian, but some of the videos have subtitles.
Here is a playlist with a lot of them: https://goo.gl/k8VqE0 (google short url because forum want to tag the playlist as a single clip)

The show is also on Spike TV in the US and is called Don't Try This at Home. It's good, but not as good as the Norwegian version.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

We defeated the magnetic security thing on a big laser cutter to try to laser cut someone's finger nails with the power turned down low.

Didn't work out so well, he was fine though.

That adage about nature making a better idiot has never seemed so apt

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Seen on the way to work today. Probably fine, but I would be nervous to be around it.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Dunno-Lars posted:

That show is hilarious.

They get a old house, and try out all sort of weird things. Like what happens if you boil petrol, washing your car with a fire fighting helicopter, water in a grease fire in the kitchen, seasoning meat with a shotgun and lot's of stuff with explosives. It's a great show, they have a lot out on Youtube.

It's Norwegian, but some of the videos have subtitles.
Here is a playlist with a lot of them: https://goo.gl/k8VqE0 (google short url because forum want to tag the playlist as a single clip)

I want to be paid to try out all those "I wonder what would happen if..." ideas that strike while drunk or showering.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

froward posted:

here's how I think of it:
voltage is a measure of the efficiency with which current travels through material. Impedance of material is reduced at higher voltages.
current is a measure of the efficiency with which a bunch of electrons (called a coulomb) transfer energy & do work.
watts are a measure of actual work done.

stuff people say all the time which never helped me visualize it
Volts times Amps equals Watts - if you break it down to component SI units, things actually cancel out.
various unhelpful analogies about dams, pipes, etc. find one that works for you.

real world examples:
high voltage low current systems - like the electric potential generated by rubbing your feet on carpet in winter (a few thousand volts, a millionth of an amp) - can make massive sparks that make you say OUCH but don't even twitch your muscles. 15k volts and .4ma is a stun gun: throws enough current into your meat sack to seize muscles, but not enough to kill you (usually).

low voltage high current systems - like a car battery - need a wire the size of your thumb to send an appreciable amount of juice anywhere. but there's lots of juice there for ya. enough to weld with if you have heavy leads only a few feet long.

anyway the short answer is that anything can kill you if it seizes the muscles in your heart.

thanks for this explanation lol

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

froward posted:

here's how I think of it:
voltage is a measure of the efficiency with which current travels through material. Impedance of material is reduced at higher voltages.
current is a measure of the efficiency with which a bunch of electrons (called a coulomb) transfer energy & do work.
watts are a measure of actual work done.

You can think of it that way if you want, I'm not the boss of you, but each one of those sentences is really damned wrong.Voltage is electrical potential. The usual analogy is that if you want to think of current as water flowing through a pipe, voltage is like the pump pressure. It's got nothing to do with efficiency of anything. If one Coulomb of charge is accelerated across a one volt potential, it's picked up 1 joule of energy.

And impedance of a material is dependent upon the material, it (generally) doesn't change based on the voltage; if you have a 2.5 megaohm resistor, it's going to have 2.5 megaohms of resistance no matter whether you put 1 volt across it or 100,000 volts across it or 1,000,000 volts across it (excepting if you stick enough voltage across it to make it breakdown and turn into a short.) But it does change based upon the *frequency* of the voltage.

Current, again, has nothing to do with efficiency, it's just the flow of electric charge: one coulomb per second = 1 amp.

Watts are not a measure of actual work done. Watts are a measure of power, which is the *rate* at which work is being done. Actual work done would be joules, not watts.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 15, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Slanderer posted:

Seen on the way to work today. Probably fine, but I would be nervous to be around it.

I don't think the instructors at my workplace would have passed those outrigger "pads".

Edit: Actually, would you mind if I showed them this picture and asked their opinion on Monday?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't think the instructors at my workplace would have passed those outrigger "pads".

Edit: Actually, would you mind if I showed them this picture and asked their opinion on Monday?

Posting something on the internet and then minding if people look at it would be... dumb?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Be my guest. If you open the full resolution up, check out the one at the front-- it actually kinda worries me now that I take a second look

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Has pooping gotten boring? Add an element of suspense to your trips to the bathroom!

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010
Coming late to the mine/elevator chat, but this seems relevant to the thread. The Brazilian photographer Sebastião Salgado took these pictures in a Brazilian mine (in the second half of the 20th century!!!).

(He is an amazing ethnographic photographer. His Genesis book is a great way to get introduced to his work)

AndreTheGiantBoned fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 16, 2016

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Dude jerking off in a work van, while driving down the highway.

:nws: https://vid.me/1lPD

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

GotLag posted:

Do those emergency stops engage the brakes or do they just cut the power? Will they be able to tow it or will they have to cut that pillar?

BEGIN INFOTAINMENT:

I can't speak specifically about this roller company, but in general the emergency stops on hydrostatically (hydraulically) controlled equipment like this just shut off all the electrically-controlled valves on the machine or dump pump flow directly to tank and all controls stop working.

Typically there are no brakes in the conventional sense on hydrostatic machines; the hydraulic wheel motors provide turning force and stopping power.

Often the emergency stops do not kill the engine, since turbo chargers on diesel engines can be costly and break during sudden engine shutdowns, and equipment owners would yell at people for pushing emergency stops, discouraging their use.

When you know that emergency stop buttons are just single-pole switches, and you know where they are wired and plugged in, it is easy to TEMPORARILY bypass any damaged or otherwise compromised button.

END INFOTAINMENT.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

PhotoKirk posted:

Ever seen a press eat someone?

No, but my father did work at a newspaper with a big ornery press held together by spit and baling wire, and did tell me of at least twice when he had to drive the same guy to the ER after he lost part or all of a finger to that bloodthirsty monster.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Code Jockey posted:

My dad was a pressman his entire life, and after seeing his machines, I am amazed he retired with all of his limbs intact.

I used to work a floor above the pressmen. The entire production area was treated to a deliberately a horrible mashup of I'm a Little Teapot and The Itsy Bitsy Spider that would loop on for eternity. My guess is that it was calibrated to be annoying enough to never let someone working drift off, but not bad enough to catastrophically distract them.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

The Dark One posted:

I used to work a floor above the pressmen. The entire production area was treated to a deliberately a horrible mashup of I'm a Little Teapot and The Itsy Bitsy Spider that would loop on for eternity. My guess is that it was calibrated to be annoying enough to never let someone working drift off, but not bad enough to catastrophically distract them.

A man loses a hand to the presses. Above all the hubbub and panic wafts a counterpoint to his screams -

I'm a little teapot, short and stout...

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

A Man With A Plan posted:

A man loses a hand to the presses. Above all the hubbub and panic wafts a counterpoint to his screams -

I'm a little teapot, short and stout...

To properly set the mood, it was a cheesy-sounding synth melody. I never did get an explanation from the pressmen about the thing, but then they tended to only sneak up to our floor to smoke in the archive shelves or poo poo in our bathroom. v:shobon:v

The Dark One fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jan 16, 2016

Guineapig
Sep 8, 2005

Louder is not Better

Slanderer posted:

Be my guest. If you open the full resolution up, check out the one at the front-- it actually kinda worries me now that I take a second look

Hard to know what there is to worry about :

-four layers of shoring material that doesn't look tied together under the mid-outrigger;

-shoring material sitting directly on ice;

-ice is on sloped concrete;

-truck possibly tilted toward its rear so that the part under the crane load is lower than the part behind the crane load (camera angle could be deceptive on this one);

-jack at front of truck on at least three layers of shoring material that look to be the same height as its width which is in line with the load;

-that front jack appears to be perpendicular to neither the shoring nor the ground plane.

Although it looks like if the truck tipped the load would only fall into the building, if they are only lifting in line with the truck body.

Nothing to see here, citizen, move along.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

*sees orange cones*

Guineapig posted:

e: i had a point here, and unfortunately its this:

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2016/01/good_samaritans_who_were_hosed.html#incart_2box posted:

Two Good Samaritans have secured a nearly $100,000 settlement after they were exposed to a neurotoxin when they stopped to help a crashed semi-truck driver, then had to strip naked and get hosed down in freezing temperatures in the middle of Interstate 84.

Kortney Broecker and Shantelle Nay were traveling along I-84 in eastern Oregon near Durkee about 50 miles from the Idaho border when they encountered large pieces of metal in the road, according to their lawsuit filed in early December.

It was about 1 a.m. on Nov. 3, 2013, and the friends were worried that another driver might crash into the debris, so they stopped their car and got out to push the debris off the freeway, according to their attorney. That's when the pair noticed the overturned truck and trailer and discovered the driver bleeding and drifting in and out of consciousness.

The women had no idea that they were wading through as much as 4,000 gallons of tetramethylammonium hydroxide that had spilled along the 400-foot crash site, said Randy Oetken, their Milwaukie attorney.

They had called 911 and were told to stay put, Oetken said. They hadn't been told they were part of a hazmat scene or that the freeway had been shut down behind them and that's why emergency responders weren't coming, he said.

After waiting awhile, the women drove to the next exit for help and encountered emergency responders who ordered them to strip and so they could be doused with water, Oetken said.

"It's about traumatic as it gets," he said.

That's when the women began to realize they were suffering serious reactions to tetramethylammonium hydroxide, he said. The substance is used in the semiconductor industry to etch silicon and can be fatal to humans with direct contact with concentrated quantities.

Among the women's injuries, some of which continue to this day, according to the lawsuit: severe headaches, spontaneous vomiting, severe nausea, hair loss, eye pain, vision problems that included seeing flashes of light, shooting chest pains and constant wheezing and coughing spasms.

At the time of the lawsuit was filed, Broecker, 31, had accumulated $9,300 in medical expenses and $4,500 in lost income. Nay, 30, sought $4,300 in medical expenses. Both women also sought $200,000 each for emotional distress, pain and suffering.

Oregon State Police cited Ronald Glenn Hanes Sr. of Sacramento, Calif., with careless driving. Oetken said the driver told police that he'd taken his eyes off the road as he tried to find something on the floor of his cab. Hanes worked for LeSaint Chemical Logistics, a Texas-based company with offices in Portland.

The lawsuit was filed against Hanes and LeSaint Chemical Logistics in Multnomah County Circuit Court and settled in late December with the company, Oetken said.

Officials at the Oregon State Police, the Oregon Department of Transportation and the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality say they didn't cite the company for any wrongdoing.

A spokesperson from LeSaint didn't return a call seeking comment Thursday.

Broecker and Nay live in Idaho and were traveling back home after attending a convention in Hermiston. Two other people also were in the car, but they stayed inside during most of the incident and had little exposure.

All of the women's possessions, including their clothes and Broecker's 1997 Nissan Pathfinder, had to be incinerated because of the chemical exposure, Oetken said.

Read the lawsuit.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jan 16, 2016

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

buttcoinbrony posted:

*sees orange cones*

NEVER STOP TO HELP ANYONE!!!!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Shamelessly taking from the Schadenfreude thread.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Facebook page Truck gently caress Ups has a whoooole bunch of videos of truck drivers and construction workers loving poo poo up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w010eMdixiA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2vqrA-RprQ

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Guineapig posted:

Although it looks like if the truck tipped the load would only fall into the building, if they are only lifting in line with the truck body.

Well, most of that building is occupied by Google, and all of this construction is related to the "luxury" apartments that they are building across the street and charging 2.5x market rate.

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

Coming late to the mine/elevator chat, but this seems relevant to the thread. The Brazilian photographer Sebastião Salgado took these pictures in a Brazilian mine (in the second half of the 20th century!!!).

(He is an amazing ethnographic photographer. His Genesis book is a great way to get introduced to his work)

These images were broken yesterday, but holy poo poo that is grim

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

2:45 :stonk:

canis minor
May 4, 2011

buttcoinbrony posted:

*sees orange cones*

That's so depressing given

quote:

They hadn't been told they were part of a hazmat scene or that the freeway had been shut down behind them and that's why emergency responders weren't coming, he said.

After waiting awhile, the women drove to the next exit for help and encountered emergency responders who ordered them to strip and so they could be doused with water, Oetken said.

Hey, there are people that were exposed to these dangerous chemicals - let's tell them to wait! :downs:

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

No, but my father did work at a newspaper with a big ornery press held together by spit and baling wire, and did tell me of at least twice when he had to drive the same guy to the ER after he lost part or all of a finger to that bloodthirsty monster.

Want to see a lifetime pressman get angry? Ask him if he can count to ten.

Web presses are MONSTERS.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

:smith:

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Didn't see this posted re: lift chat :)

http://youtu.be/YgJBD1wf-YQ

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

simosimo posted:

The fact that these even exist still blows my mind. :psyduck:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

simosimo posted:

That is awesome and they should bring them back. :colbert:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

The Dark One posted:

To properly set the mood, it was a cheesy-sounding synth melody. I never did get an explanation from the pressmen about the thing, but then they tended to only sneak up to our floor to smoke in the archive shelves or poo poo in our bathroom. v:shobon:v

The Komori press where I work plays Itsy Bitsy Spider when a pressman is changing the plates. It's to warn his partner not to start the press.

Zamboni Rodeo fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 17, 2016

Plumps
Apr 21, 2010
Not sure if this has been posted before, but here are some very poor working conditions in a mine - the video says its from Colombia.

NMS for people almost certainly being washed away/drowned by a landslide. Hard to believe there are people working in conditions like this today.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d1d_1427756416

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

simosimo posted:

I like how there's a little emergency bell pull, right where your extremities would be sheared off by the floor. Very convenient!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

FRINGE posted:

That is awesome and they should bring them back. :colbert:

They always come back, didn't you watch the video? :haw:

• Locked thread