Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Three Olives posted:

What the hell is going on here?

My phone was fine last night and now all the icons are tiny.

Maybe this?
http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/0...y-apk-download/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Brand new nexus 6 on Amazon down to 249$ for 32 gb again

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

jerkstoresup posted:

Is Google Voice still worth using in 2016? I got a new number and carrier today, and it wouldn't be a huge hassle to just give people my new number instead of sticking to the Google Voice number. There's a lot more options for texting/interacting with Android via Windows than there were 5-6 years ago when Google Voice seemed like the best idea in the world.

No one can answer this for you. If you want the features it provides, then you should get it.

For example, if all you care about is texting from your PC, there's other options available. If you also want voicemail transcription services or one phone number to ring multiple phones, you're probably going to want Google Voice.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

My phone sometimes won't connect to LTE unless I turn airplane mode on and off, anyone know what the hell is going on?

I'm on a Nexus 6P

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Ciprian Maricon posted:

My phone sometimes won't connect to LTE unless I turn airplane mode on and off, anyone know what the hell is going on?

I'm on a Nexus 6P

Its a common problem: https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=197102

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

My att nexus 6 is acting stupid and I need to factory reset it, but I want Marshmallow and there's no OTA update from att yet so I'm gonna take matters into my own hands. Should I factory restore and sideload an update to 6.0.0 or should I just flash the latest 6.0.1 image?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Eejit posted:

My att nexus 6 is acting stupid and I need to factory reset it, but I want Marshmallow and there's no OTA update from att yet so I'm gonna take matters into my own hands. Should I factory restore and sideload an update to 6.0.0 or should I just flash the latest 6.0.1 image?

If you're gonna gently caress with it go straight to 6.0.1

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

SB35 posted:

If you're gonna gently caress with it go straight to 6.0.1

Thanks, that was what I was thinking. Is there any good reason not to flash 6.0.1 and just restore to 5.1.1?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Eejit posted:

Thanks, that was what I was thinking. Is there any good reason not to flash 6.0.1 and just restore to 5.1.1?

AT&T started the rollout today. 🍻

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

AT&T started the rollout today. 🍻

I was just about to bring that to your attention if you weren't aware. Here's a link anyway.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Since I just looked it up, it's a progressive rollout starting with 5% of devices and moving to 100% coverage within a week.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
So I'm sure the answer is Samsunged but after the weird icon thing I decided to just factory reset and that fixed two minor problems I have been having, one is the edge contacts kept turning off by itself and toggle looked weird, it was cut off for some reason and the same day the icon thing happened Samsung Pay started crashing.

The thing is the Edge problem was within the first three weeks and I haven't installed anything that wasn't basic Play Store stuff. The phone is like two months old, that seems really quick for the OS to get jacked up. Also my battery life is better.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

For tiny hands goons in the USA, the Xperia Z5 Compact will be officially available starting on February 7, 2016.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
I have a 6p on 6.0.1, is hangouts truly so half baked that you cannot start a group MMS from it, but you can participate in one if someone else starts it? Am I missing something? I have to revert to messages to send a group text out, then I start receiving replies individually in Hangouts (even when I have temporarily set messenger to default app to test). I'm a (possibly retarded) ios switcher and this is pretty hard to cope with.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

greasyhands posted:

I have a 6p on 6.0.1, is hangouts truly so half baked that you cannot start a group MMS from it, but you can participate in one if someone else starts it? Am I missing something? I have to revert to messages to send a group text out, then I start receiving replies individually in Hangouts (even when I have temporarily set messenger to default app to test). I'm a (possibly retarded) ios switcher and this is pretty hard to cope with.

When you start a new conversation by hitting the + button, and choose SMS, you can add multiple contacts. Wouldn't that send as an MMS?

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

RVProfootballer posted:

When you start a new conversation by hitting the + button, and choose SMS, you can add multiple contacts. Wouldn't that send as an MMS?

This is very strange, as I was trying this earlier today and it was giving me a lock icon next to people who were not Hangouts users, but now it is working?

edit: another problem I am having is people who have hangouts, but dont use it as their primary contact point (i.e. i need to send them SMS/MMS and not hangout msgs) I cannot figure out how to force hangouts to ignore the fact that person is a hangout user and just send them an MMS

edit2: it looks like I should just be using messenger and not hangouts.

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 15, 2016

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Rastor posted:

For tiny hands goons in the USA, the Xperia Z5 Compact will be officially available starting on February 7, 2016.
Odds on that meaning people who imported one in the last few months will have an official outlet for warranty/repair service?
Official US firmware will be nice though.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Rastor posted:

Just in time for the release of the Xperia Z6.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

The Verge (ugh) is now claiming the US version doesn't have a fingerprint sensor?

"Sony has informed us that the US version of the Sony Xperia Z5 and Z5 Compact will not include a fingerprint sensor. This article has been changed to reflect this."

They're the only ones saying this and I can't imagine why Sony would do this.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

greasyhands posted:

This is very strange, as I was trying this earlier today and it was giving me a lock icon next to people who were not Hangouts users, but now it is working?

edit: another problem I am having is people who have hangouts, but dont use it as their primary contact point (i.e. i need to send them SMS/MMS and not hangout msgs) I cannot figure out how to force hangouts to ignore the fact that person is a hangout user and just send them an MMS

edit2: it looks like I should just be using messenger and not hangouts.

When you start a new conversation, you can start it as an SMS. Hit the + button, then instead of "new conversation", do " new SMS."

E: You probably set Messenger as your app to handle SMS, rather than Hangouts.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 15, 2016

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Hey.

Guess what?

I got the marshmallow update.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oooo, can I touch you?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

Hey.

Guess what?

I got the marshmallow update.

AT&T is a kind and benevolent deity.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Is there a USB OTG cable that allows me to charge my phone while having it connected to a USB ethernet adapter? I can't see to find one that says it works that way. Every USB OTG cable says it only provides power to the USB device (in this example the ethernet adapter) but not to the main phone.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
I've got a Sony z3c. Will the z5c be worth the upgrade?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Weaponized Cum posted:

I've got a Sony z3c. Will the z5c be worth the upgrade?

Not really. The processor is certainly faster but at the expense of worse battery life. The screen seems to be much better with color and brightness. Camera performance is similar.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Nill posted:

The Verge (ugh) is now claiming the US version doesn't have a fingerprint sensor?

"Sony has informed us that the US version of the Sony Xperia Z5 and Z5 Compact will not include a fingerprint sensor. This article has been changed to reflect this."

They're the only ones saying this and I can't imagine why Sony would do this.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/01/15/sony-xperia-z5-variants-in-the-us-will-not-have-a-fingerprint-reader/

Android Police asked them too and got the same answer.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Sony... :negative:

Sorry if I got people's hopes up about this release.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Is no fingerprint sensor actually a dealbreaker for some of you?

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Yes. I wouldn't use a phone without one now.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

I can't believe the engineering and logistical overhead to make a sensorless model just for the US is cheaper than the sensors themselves.
Could it be a patent issue and simply being disabled in software?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Is no fingerprint sensor actually a dealbreaker for some of you?

It is a tool of the gods.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Is a Moto G still a good choice for a very low budget, fairly functional device for someone that uses a minimum of non-stock apps?

Need to replace a bad-power-button N5 for my boss for as little as reasonably possible. Needs to work on Sprint.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

sirbeefalot posted:

Is a Moto G still a good choice for a very low budget, fairly functional device for someone that uses a minimum of non-stock apps?

Need to replace a bad-power-button N5 for my boss for as little as reasonably possible. Needs to work on Sprint.

Yes it's good, but don't get the 8GB storage version as it has a pathetic 1GB of RAM. The 16GB version has 2GB.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

SB35 posted:

It is a tool of the gods.

Godinster posted:

Yes. I wouldn't use a phone without one now.

Okay, interesting, I guess I just don't see the draw. I have a Note 5, tried the sensor for a bit, wasn't a fan so don't use it at all.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Okay, interesting, I guess I just don't see the draw. I have a Note 5, tried the sensor for a bit, wasn't a fan so don't use it at all.

The sensor works so well on mine that it has become one of my favorite features.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

CLAM DOWN posted:

The Note 5 sensor is a bit finicky. MY WIFE has one and it often takes several tries to unlock. Maybe that can be improved in software (Marshmallow upgrade?) but who knows.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

The 5X fingerprint sensor has been a game-changer for me. I pick my phone up and it's unlocked. I thought it would be a gimmick but it's really really good.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

nimper posted:

The Note 5 sensor is a bit finicky. MY WIFE has one and it often takes several tries to unlock. Maybe that can be improved in software (Marshmallow upgrade?) but who knows.
The 5X/6P sensor is almost perfect.

Its just the samsung version that is mediocre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.
The 6P sensor works in the first try about 98% of the time for me. It's much easier to reach than the power button as well, so it's by far my preferred method for turning the screen on. The security benefits are an added bonus.