Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Totbot
Oct 4, 2013

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

I misinterpreted Palpatines plan. Given the context of the Prophecy I assumed Anakin was vital to him.

Did Palpy ever hint that he cares about the Prophecy? He seems like the kind of guy who wouldn't care too much about some dumb Jedi prophecy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I don't think Billy Dee can even walk anymore. He probably isn't interested in doing another film.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

I misinterpreted Palpatines plan. Given the context of the Prophecy I assumed Anakin was vital to him.

(The way I see it,) Anakin is vital to the Force. Palpatine has his own plan, which Anakin is a part of simply because of his power and emotional malleability. The possibility of premature death is irrelevant, maybe even nonexistent, since the Force (or, "the plot", if you want to be crass) is guiding Skywalker to destroy the Jedi-Sith/Light-Dark dichotomy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

MrMojok posted:

I don't think Billy Dee can even walk anymore. He probably isn't interested in doing another film.

His physical condition aside, I'd assume he could probably use the six figure paycheck.

He wouldn't actually get millions for playing Lando again would he? I'd think Ford and Hamill are the only two who could have held out for that kind of money.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Effectronica posted:

I'm the psychic here, buddy, and I won't even bother revealing what I've learned about you and your disgusting personal habits.

Your posts are some of the most petty and hateful vomit I've ever seen in this forum.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Totbot posted:

Did Palpy ever hint that he cares about the Prophecy? He seems like the kind of guy who wouldn't care too much about some dumb Jedi prophecy.

I don't think it's ever shown that he even knows about it.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Here's one thing I noticed after watching AOTC for the first time in probably a decade: Owen Lars actually is Luke's uncle.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CelticPredator posted:

Ya'll forgot Maz.

Well of course.

Semi-recent discussion has shown how Lucas is able to craft nuanced characters with a minimum of screen-time and dialogue. Zam Wessel and Grievous are strong examples - not because they are 'deep', but because we're shown their idiosyncratic behaviours in a sociopolitical context. Their actions are influenced by, for example, the racism against droids and aliens. Grievous is both a robot and an rear end in a top hat.

Maz looks like a child, straight-up. The character does not look like an old woman. Her 'glasses' look like kid Anakin's googles, and she's less wrinkly than other alien characters.

Maz also doesn't dress as a bartender, or like she even has a job. She wears the Star Wars equivalent of blue jeans and a t-shirt. He castle doesn't look like a pub on the outside, and not really on the inside either. The best indication of Maz's character is that she has a statue to herself in the front of the place, creating the distinct impression that this is a church devoted to herself, and this - combined with her casual/childish clothing - makes her into one of those 'hip' preachers.

In short, Maz is the worst character in Star Wars history.

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Lotta fake cynics in the Star Wars thread.

I'm beginning to think that Star Wars fans do not actually like Star Wars.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 15, 2016

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

JohnnySavs posted:

Er, lead the Jedi to Kamino? The system that's been deleted from the Jedi archives? The system that only is discovered because Obi-Wan happened to know a diner owner that happened to be familiar with Kamino weaponry from his time 'prospecting'?

It's not exactly carefully hidden.

Sure, there's a chance Obi-Wan might not figure it out, just as there was a chance some of the Tie Fighters might have got lucky and shot down the Falcon before it got to Yavin.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

A bold statement. The worst Star Wars character has always been and will always be this guy:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
So far the only thing I've taken away from this thread is that I should see Creed.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Well of course.

Semi-recent discussion has shown how Lucas is able to craft nuanced characters with a minimum of screen-time and dialogue. Zam Wessel and Grievous are strong examples - not because they are 'deep', but because we're shown their idiosyncratic behaviours in a sociopolitical context. Their actions are influenced by, for example, the racism against droids and aliens. Grievous is both a robot and an [/rear end in a top hat]

Maz looks like a child, straight-up. The character does not look like an old woman. Her 'glasses' look like kid Anakin's googles, and she's less wrinkly than other alien characters.

Maz also doesn't dress as a bartender, or like she even has a job. She wears the Star Wars equivalent of blue jeans and a t-shirt. He castle doesn't look like a pub on the outside, and not really on the inside either. The best indication of Maz's character is that she has a statue to herself in the front of the place, creating the distinct impression that this is a church devoted to herself, and this - combined with her casual/childish clothing - makes her into one of those 'hip' preachers.

Maz is rife with idiosyncrasies. She is an enigma, who continually defies each precedent set by the film. She is a hermit, yet she is surrounded by friends, colleagues, and acquaintances. She is renowned and revered as royalty to roughnecks like Han, yet she dresses and comports herself humbly. She is in tune with the Force, yet she does not follow the light or dark side, something that has never been seen in Star Wars. She is the oldest person we've ever seen, yet she crawls across the table like a child. Is Maz the embodiment of a "balanced" Force?

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yaws posted:

A bold statement. The worst Star Wars character has always been and will always be this guy:

Counterpoint:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAw-G8G07ew

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

That's actually the line I was thinking about when I made that post. He is just the worst.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Yaws posted:

No, that guy actually rules. The difference is when you can tell things about a character from their design and their actions.

His crown/headress thing, for example, is not even a functional hat. When seen from the side, his bald head is completely exposed. The guy is a perfect self-important doofus.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Well of course.

Semi-recent discussion has shown how Lucas is able to craft nuanced characters with a minimum of screen-time and dialogue. Zam Wessel and Grievous are strong examples - not because they are 'deep', but because we're shown their idiosyncratic behaviours in a sociopolitical context. Their actions are influenced by, for example, the racism against droids and aliens. Grievous is both a robot and an rear end in a top hat.

The first impression I got from seeing Maz, and this is before knowing about Jabrams teacher of whatever, was Estelle Getty. She didn't really come off as childlike at all.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The most recent thing I could find about Williams' health is that he left Dancing With the Stars in mid-2014 because of back problems. So while that does sound like he has some health problems, there's a big difference between doing a dance competition where you are practicing for hours a day and just like, standing around acting. Unless his health has deteriorated even further since then.

I still believe...

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

No, that guy actually rules. The difference is when you can tell things about a character from their design and their actions.

His crown/headress thing, for example, is not even a functional hat. When seen from the side, his bald head is completely exposed. The guy is a perfect self-important doofus.

He dresses like an Antipope, sounds like he's about to start screaming about Godzilla, and works as the head of a powerful commerce guild. He's a mess of contradictions.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Phylodox posted:

So far the only thing I've taken away from this thread is that I should see Creed.

Yeah Creed owns and does the soft reboot idea way better than Star Wars VII does. That being said I do like Star Wars VII but not as much as Hateful Eight.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Yaws posted:

He dresses like an Antipope, sounds like he's about to start screaming about Godzilla, and works as the head of a powerful commerce guild. He's a mess of contradictions.

I don't see how those are contradictions. The latter two describe "Japanese Businessman" pretty well, actually.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
His hat revive me more of something from Shilla-era Korea than something papal.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

computer parts posted:

I don't see how those are contradictions. The latter two describe "Japanese Businessman" pretty well, actually.

Good point. I can see how a stereotypical 1980's Japanese businessman that dresses like the pope could be interesting.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Harime Nui posted:

They didn't have to do this but they basically ruined Quentin Tarantino's christmas. So just as the Vikings got hosed by the hand of God for ruining the christmas of Eli Manning, gently caress these guys.

Tarantino isn't exactly a saint in real life, and he's not exactly a starving artist, either. He was a fool for thinking he could cut out half the month of a Star Wars release for a relatively marketing-lean film featuring intentionally unlikable characters.

Having said that, I will say both movies are awesome (though the crazy excessive action half of H8 was a bit meh)

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I think a lot of people just don't know what a viceroy is, though they show it pretty clearly in the film.

It means essentially a guy who is granted all the power of a king while not actually being the king - and that sums up Nute's character pretty well.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Yaws posted:

Why wouldn't the head of a commerce guild be bedecked in opulent-yet-useless fashion?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Harime Nui posted:

It's really loving hilarious I keep saying "hey, Disney slapped Tarantino on his face" and you keep saying "Tarantino's rich! He's got money! He's got money!" so the gently caress what, when you pass a certain wealth threshold you stop being human?

I'm catching up on the thread atm so I know this was a few pages back but...

Lol.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Are we supposed to care about nute? Are we supposed to care about black body guard? There are so many characters. Too many.

Also Maz is cool and funny.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I wonder if Finn getting upset, and going "Jakku? Why does everyone insist on going back to Jakku?" is an in-joke, referencing how often they went back to Tatooine.

MrMojok posted:

Wasn't he just on Modern Family?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

rear end Catchcum posted:

Are we supposed to care about nute? Are we supposed to care about black body guard? There are so many characters. Too many.

Also Maz is cool and funny.

Maz is awesome and has a lot of neat characterization if you bother to look. It's kind of weird that the same people who have defended the PT with "there's more to storytelling than just dialogue" are now impotently jumping up and down on TFA, a movie where an elaborate but fitting story was composed for every minor character to inform the SFX, writing, and improv.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Neurolimal posted:

Tarantino isn't exactly a saint in real life, and he's not exactly a starving artist, either. He was a fool for thinking he could cut out half the month of a Star Wars release for a relatively marketing-lean film featuring intentionally unlikable characters.

Having said that, I will say both movies are awesome (though the crazy excessive action half of H8 was a bit meh)

Wasn't very sure why he even released H8 while Star Wars was in theaters. Everyone should've just cleared right the gently caress out of the way.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

I like all seven films. Do you? :raise:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Neurolimal posted:

Maz is awesome and has a lot of neat characterization if you bother to look. It's kind of weird that the same people who have defended the PT with "there's more to storytelling than just dialogue" are now impotently jumping up and down on TFA, a movie where an elaborate but fitting story was composed for every minor character to inform the SFX, writing, and improv.

That EU stuff doesn't come across in the actual film.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

What are you talking about. I don't read any eu stuff and I was completely satisfied by Maz

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

You're wrong about Maz Kanata.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Well, feel free to describe all of Maz's 'neat characterization'.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

I think the issue is more Disney making the theater renege on the agreement they had with Tarantino by threatening to pull Star Wars from every theater in their 'chain'.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Did the theater sign a contract?

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

This is why the old Visual Dictionaries were my favorite, because everyone's character came across in their clothing, even extras:

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Also they literally say - and this flew over my head as a kid - that REPUBLIC SENATORS HAVE SEX SLAVES AND ARE CORRUPT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
I like to think that Palpatine's long-term plan was to slowly turn the whole galaxy into a huge Terry Gilliam's Brazil-esque bureacracy, thus corrupting everyone to being as power hungry as him (in pettier ways).

• Locked thread