Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

all of the summons dont really deal any damage, theyre just there to draw aggro yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
Blacksky eye is my favorite weapon and I just summoned people to beat up Gascone and Amelia while I throw those at them

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bobnumerotres posted:

all of the summons dont really deal any damage, theyre just there to draw aggro yeah.

show me a tarkus

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
from's greatest move was taking jester Thomas and making him a npc invader

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

frank.club posted:

from's greatest move was taking jester Thomas and making him a npc invader

I hate that clown!

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Bed of chaos is my least favorite fight in souls so far I think. trying real hard to be a Good boy and not look poo poo up about it but I keep getting owned

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

In Training posted:

I hate that clown!

he reminds me of micolash: if you stay in his face constantly and poise him out of his casts, then you can beat him without even really taking damage. as soon as you have any sort of distance he will destroy you with his magic.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

crunk dork posted:

Bed of chaos is my least favorite fight in souls so far I think. trying real hard to be a Good boy and not look poo poo up about it but I keep getting owned

It's okay to look up how to do it easily

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

crunk dork posted:

you're not spoiling anything if you look that one up. it's a really lovely fight. it also used to be ten times shittier.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
That hunter npc in the nightmare after you run past all the spiders always juked me hard cause I was trying to break the leash on those awful creatures

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Ok good. It's extremely retarded that I did the left glowing thing and can't get to the right without getting smacked into a hole or one shotted and it's impossible to hit it with arrows. How did it used to be worse? o_o

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It used to not carry over progress on the arms I think

Dec 26, 2012

frank.club posted:

Ah, Kos. O, como algunos dicen, Kõsm

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I thought queen killer sucked and then one of my defiled amygdalA attempts I summoned him to see what would happen and he point blank cannon blasted his head and did like 1/6 of amygdalas health bar. I still died

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i really loving hate defiled watchdog. the safe way to play the fight is boring as poo poo, and subject to being completely screwed by the weird hitbox on the charge. i did help a guy beat him though, which was fun.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

my favorite part about bed of chaos is that once you make that loving horrible jump and get past the bullshit tree branch arms, and youre in the core swinging through branches, if the RNG doesnt like you it could put you in an inescapable flame pillar pattern that deals 1,000,000 fire damage

they patched it so that it saves your progress on the barrier breaks but what they shouldve done was delete the whole thing

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I died to the fire pillar a lot.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

invading & getting invaded in Nightmare of Mensis is really drat good. im never going to kill the bell ringer or the boss

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you can get to Amy there's a short cut elevator to the right of the boss arena that leads to the bonfire

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

HolePisser1982 posted:

invading & getting invaded in Nightmare of Mensis is really drat good. im never going to kill the bell ringer or the boss

if i ever bother with my new skill character, i think i'm going to do themed invasions there

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

sector_corrector posted:

if i ever bother with my new skill character, i think i'm going to do themed invasions there

thats what ive been doing with my character named Enlarged Head. lots of praying & spraying blood

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
hahaha, that's loving sick

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

i really loving hate defiled watchdog. the safe way to play the fight is boring as poo poo, and subject to being completely screwed by the weird hitbox on the charge. i did help a guy beat him though, which was fun.

my way is safer and fast

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr0NIld1Gjg

1. hit it in the legs so youre not in front of it when it charges
2. it tends to charge every time you hit it, but if it throws up lava you can unload into it and stagger it
3. the only thing you have to dodge is his bites which are telegraphed
4. dont hit it in the foreleg at one point like i did right before i got stomped. bnecause you will get stomped on. hit it in the rear legs
5. theres nothing you can do about the big explosion if youre caught in a position like i was in the video. normally you have to run directly away from it but if theres no space to do that just stand still so you take less damage. you cant dodge through it because it hits twice

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

one thing that always got me killed about watchdog is that around the halfway mark, he gets a few new attacks and tactics. he gets a new alternate bite attack that comes out a lot faster, the big explosion, and he can start chaining together the slow and quick bites.

oh and i was gonna say if youre caught basically inside him when hes charging the big nova blast, yeah, just stand still and tank it so you dont get oneshot

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My strat for him was bait out the slow bite and dodge towards it and hit the leg once or twice, and then back off and repeat. Sometimes if you're lucky he will do the vomit and it's really easy to get behind to wail on him. Staying close also seemed to rarely, if ever, trigger the charge. It didn't take too long

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I got him in a root cursed chalice and boy let me tell you, fighting him at half health in the pillar boss room (same one rom uses) is hard

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i spent a fair bit of money on a new tv after using an 8 year old 24 inch one until it broke so im replaying bloodborne in insane detail until dragon quest heroes arrives ... its sooo good looking. its like a new game

Zodar
May 21, 2007

Sometimes the Watchdog's charge will kill you when you're standing behind it. That fight reminds me of the PSP Monster Hunters, in that its manageable but very long, and it has 1-2 moves with weird hitboxes that hit hard enough to make you start the whole thing over.

The Souls games had slower enemies and more generous I-frames on dodging, their emphasis was on precision and patience. It's telling that in order to make more difficult enemies in that model, they basically made proto-Bloodborne bosses like Artorias and Manus, who are extremely fast and aggressive, and severely punish mistimed attacks by the player. BB starts at that level of aggression with Gascoine and the Cleric Beast, but instead of demanding precise dodges and caution from the player, it rewards aggression and proactive, rather than reactive, play. The rally system makes trading hits a valid strategy, as long as you're smart about which hits you trade. I think this works well for most of the game, but starts to show its seams in the optional late-game content, where enemies hit you so hard and so quickly that rallying isn't an option. Then it's about precision and caution again, but with enemies that are magnitudes faster and harder to read than anything in DkS, save Gwyn.

I think the DLC bosses are actually better designed for the player's ability set than bosses like the Bloodletting Beast. Ludwig is extremely fast/aggressive, but his hardest-hitting moves have tells and a windup, and you can safely rally from his weaker, faster moves by dodging towards him and hacking at his midsection. Maria and OoK seem unmanageable until you realize that the safest place to be is right next to them; between that, Rally, and the possibility of stunning them, those fights also reward proactive play. In the hardest main-game fights, the dodge-dash is a liability because it has few I-frames and you take extra damage during it. In the DLC fights, it's extremely useful, because your position relative to the boss and staying on top of them is more important than rolling through their attack frames. I would rather do any of those fights again than Defiled Watchdog.

Anyway difficulty is only one of many things I like about Souls bosses, and I think you can only crank a boss's speed, damage and health up so high before it stops being exhilarating and starts being tedious. I'd like to see more novel setpiece bosses in DkSIII, like the Adjudicator or the Living Failures, where the area is part of the fight instead of an empty arena. gently caress Loran Darkbeast

Zodar fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 15, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The adjudicator is a cool fight. Your post also sums up why I don't really go too far past NG+, anything above that I feel like everything just has too much health and I end up restarting. I hope DSIII has the DS2 style NG+ where enemy locations got remixed.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Zodar posted:

Sometimes the Watchdog's charge will kill you when you're standing behind it. That fight reminds me of the PSP Monster Hunters, in that its manageable but very long, and it has 1-2 moves with weird hitboxes that hit hard enough to make you start the whole thing over.

The Souls games had slower enemies and more generous I-frames on dodging, their emphasis was on precision and patience. It's telling that in order to make more difficult enemies in that model, they basically made proto-Bloodborne bosses like Artorias and Manus, who are extremely fast and aggressive, and severely punish mistimed attacks by the player. BB starts at that level of aggression with Gascoine and the Cleric Beast, but instead of demanding precise dodges and caution from the player, it rewards aggression and proactive, rather than reactive, play. The rally system makes trading hits a valid strategy, as long as you're smart about which hits you trade. I think this works well for most of the game, but starts to show its seams in the optional late-game content, where enemies hit you so hard and so quickly that rallying isn't an option. Then it's about precision and caution again, but with enemies that are magnitudes faster and harder to read than anything in DkS, save Gwyn.

I think the DLC bosses are actually better designed for the player's ability set than bosses like the Bloodletting Beast. Ludwig is extremely fast/aggressive, but his hardest-hitting moves have tells and a windup, and you can safely rally from his weaker, faster moves by dodging towards him and hacking at his midsection. Maria and OoK seem unmanageable until you realize that the safest place to be is right next to them; between that, Rally, and the possibility of stunning them, those fights also reward proactive play. In the hardest main-game fights, the dodge-dash is a liability because it has few I-frames and you take extra damage during it. In the DLC fights, it's extremely useful, because your position relative to the boss and staying on top of them is more important than rolling through their attack frames. I would rather do any of those fights again than Defiled Watchdog.

Anyway difficulty is only one of many things I like about Souls bosses, and I think you can only crank a boss's speed, damage and health up so high before it stops being exhilarating and starts being tedious. I'd like to see more novel setpiece bosses in DkSIII, like the Adjudicator or the Living Failures, where the area is part of the fight instead of an empty arena. gently caress Loran Darkbeast

i dont agree with much if any of that. you can take out smough and ornstein in roughly 5 hits each with a +4 black knight sword in dark souls, which u can easily have by then. they dont have enough health, its not the other way around. and the dodging in bloodborne is really good, ive never heard anyone say its bad or a "liability". and im reasonably sure the iframes are the same in bloodborne and dark souls. personally i think youre literally just qqing because you got stuck a bunch of times

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
not to mention i ltierally just posted a video where i beat the watchdog in 2 minutes on an sl 60 chracter, it doesnt have to be a long fight at all

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

i dont agree with much if any of that. you can take out smough and ornstein in roughly 5 hits each with a +4 black knight sword in dark souls, which u can easily have by then.

good info to have when I tackle my gamer goal of soloing O&S.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I hope they improved their procedural generation so that dungeons can be sort of mixed up on every new game cycle. Probably won't happeb

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

In Training posted:

good info to have when I tackle my gamer goal of soloing O&S.

u can take the gargoyles out in exactly 5 hits with a +5 claymore and a resin or something as well 3 for the first one and 2 for the second. its not like u even have to go out of you way to get overpowered

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

u can take the gargoyles out in exactly 5 hits with a +5 claymore and a resin or something as well 3 for the first one and 2 for the second. its not like u even have to go out of you way to get overpowered

when I went back to demons I realized how easy you can just demolish the game if you know what weapons to find and how to level up. I have the feeling it will be the same for ds1 after being trained to be powerful in Bloodborne

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
My problem was not knowing which weapons to use against what enemies or why the seemingly giant crystal guys are weak against fire and other things like that. I killed firesage demon with quelaag fury +2 which is a fire weapon right? Didn't make a lot of sense to me...

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

In Training posted:

when I went back to demons I realized how easy you can just demolish the game if you know what weapons to find and how to level up. I have the feeling it will be the same for ds1 after being trained to be powerful in Bloodborne

for sure. i actually recommend u do an sl1 run instead, since you already soloed kos itll still be much easier for you than any of the bloodborne dlc.

Zodar
May 21, 2007

Solo O&S is my favorite fight in the series, and since I never bought XBL, that's the only way I ever beat it. I also think they demand more caution and precision than any other fight in the series, in that you always have to be aware of both of them -- this was where I learned to stop locking on, and to manually adjust my camera so they both stayed onscreen -- and time your attacks so Smough doesn't flatten you while you attack Ornstein, or vice-versa. You're moving around the room, minding their positions relative to each other, the pillars and your character, and looking for pauses between two movesets with very different rhythms. It's like a midterm exam of stuff the game teaches you about situational awareness & its combat mechanics.

To be fair I never brought a weapon into the fight that could kill them in 5 hits. The strongest was a +2/3 enchanted great club that killed S in ~7 hits (O has much higher magic resistance), and even then I had to be extra mindful of the stuff above because of how slow that weapon is. I don't know if the BKS is an outlier in terms of damage, I haven't had it drop before the Kiln since 2012.

I think BB's character movement is better suited for the bosses in the main game and DLC, than the bosses in the lower chalice dungeons. I felt like they hit so hard that avoiding their attacks was a higher priority than attacking, and it was much harder for me to do that with the locked dodge-dash than the unlocked dodge-roll. It felt like I had to play around the game's mechanics to succeed, rather than use them to my advantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Playing around with the mechanics is using them to succeed though ... ?