Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Skwirl posted:

Why the gently caress would they do that? Sentry ended up being a disaster and they have both Hyperion and Blue Marvel hanging around if they need "Superman, only more bullshit powerful" kicking around. Hell, a half-way clever writer could probably have Carol Danvers do whatever the gently caress they wanted with judicious use of "absorbing energy"

Sentry is a totally different beast. Miracle Man could be made into such an event with the right creative team it'd be stupid not to put him in the Marvel Universe. I applaud Marvel for their restraint. He's a great bullet to have in the chamber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Marvel should fast-track the Captain Marvel film and a Miracle Man film, just to spite-gently caress Warners out of being able to do Billy Batson without, ironically, looking derivative. Like how Thanos makes me doubt we'll get a New Gods film any time soon.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
On the one hand, Miracleman in Marvel continuity is a terrible, terrible idea.

On the other hand it would seriously all be worth it just for the first moment when he swans in all "I have all this ~*power*~, I'm God" and one of the at least two dozen equally or more powerful characters just punches him in the face.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
poo poo, just bring back grown up Franklin Richards.

Also, I just started re-reading Hickman's Fantastic Four and the phrases "Everything Dies" and "Everything Lives" come up quite a bit.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

e: This is about Miracleman, not Franklin.

It's not a completely bad idea. The story the character is famous for, has an end. It seems like they're doing what they can to end it appropriately. After that, Marvel can tamper with that finished story (extend it, add sequels, reboot and revise...), sit on the character forever, or fold him into some other narrative frame (almost certainly the main Marvel universe). Sitting on the character might be preferable, but I doubt they'll do so. That leaves peeing on the iconic story, or saying "welp that's done & fun, let's see how we can bounce this off our other IPs, except the X-men and Fantastic Four". I'd rather they try the latter than the former.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

On the other hand it would seriously all be worth it just for the first moment when he swans in all "I have all this ~*power*~, I'm God" and one of the at least two dozen equally or more powerful characters just punches him in the face. he jobs to Spider-Man.

ftfy.

But seriously, I'm one of those rare guys who hasn't read MM all the way through (I'm following along as they're released) so maybe I still don't know every little thing about the guy but bringing him in to the main universe seems kinda silly because his whole story revolves around him being the only one of his kind, right? Like "since I've got all this power and these alien pals I'm going to revolutionize the world by force"? Seems pretty pointless when status quo reigns in Marvel.

Well okay, I guess he could totally build a shining golden city in the middle of London. Not like it'll interfere with all those Captain Britain comics not being published.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jan 15, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think the prospect of writing Miracleman is the one thing that would almost guaranteed get Grant Morrison back at Marvel.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think the prospect of writing Miracleman is the one thing that would almost guaranteed get Grant Morrison back at Marvel.

Well hopefully that dark future never comes to pass.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Kirkman's handling of it was not great and the SJW's just clamped onto it and embarassed everyone who's every enjoyed that book.

Hey guys, I gotta know, was this an unironic, "the evil feminists are stealing my nerd hobby!!!" post?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Miracle Man shouldn't be in the Marvel universe for the same reason the cast of Watchman shouldn't crossover to the DC universe.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Marvel's Miracleman is just a two-bit ripoff of McFarlane's iconic 'Man of Miracles' anyway. I can't believe they're getting away with it. I guess Disney's lawyers are trampling all over indie comics publishers, as usual.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
If the choice is between Miracle Man being added to the Marvel universe or left alone and having nothing new made then I'd rather he be added. Then there would be the potential for good new comics and the older comics would still exist.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Starsnostars posted:

If the choice is between Watchmen being added to the DC universe or left alone and having nothing new made then I'd rather they be added. Then there would be the potential for good new comics and the older comics would still exist.
Do you see the very obvious problems with this argument now?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Poor Alan Moore.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

CapnAndy posted:

Do you see the very obvious problems with this argument now?

I think Watchmen Prequels kinda support the argument. If the Watchmen characters had been added to the DC universe then there'd just be some lovely DC comics featuring the Watchmen characters. But since they were kept separate, now there's lovely Watchmen comics.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Starsnostars posted:

If the choice is between Miracle Man being added to the Marvel universe or left alone and having nothing new made then I'd rather he be added. Then there would be the potential for good new comics and the older comics would still exist.

On the other hand, it also means the potential for some jackass to produce a turd of a story that taints the character.

Better to die as good fiction than live as bad.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think Miracleman would work, but only as something very short term. A mini-series or event or something like that. I don't think you can have him just kicking around the Marvel Universe for any length of time.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

boom boom boom posted:

I think Watchmen Prequels kinda support the argument. If the Watchmen characters had been added to the DC universe then there'd just be some lovely DC comics featuring the Watchmen characters. But since they were kept separate, now there's lovely Watchmen comics.
But that's an argument for leaving the characters alone, not for doing a Rorschach/Batman teamup and seeing how quick you can ruin Rorschach forever.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

CapnAndy posted:

But that's an argument for leaving the characters alone

But they aren't going to do that, because they love money

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Miracleman should be part of the Marvel universe because I want to live in the world where a normal issue of Avengers features Bucky Barnes, Miracleman, and Angela trying to stop noted supervillain Reed Richards.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Miracleman exists or existed in the Marvel multiverse as one of the heroes who was killed by the Fury in an Alan Moore Captain Britain comic.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

CapnAndy posted:

But that's an argument for leaving the characters alone, not for doing a Rorschach/Batman teamup and seeing how quick you can ruin Rorschach forever.

I want to see what it takes to ruin Watchmen. Even if they're written by Scott Lobdell it'll just bring attention to the original series from the thousands of fans screaming "Not my Watchmen!". I think Watchmen will endure no matter how they mishandle the IP.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Die Laughing posted:

I want to see what it takes to ruin Watchmen. Even if they're written by Scott Lobdell it'll just bring attention to the original series from the thousands of fans screaming "Not my Watchmen!". I think Watchmen will endure no matter how they mishandle the IP.

I use a modified version of Hypertime: "It's all true, unless I really don't like it".

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Die Laughing posted:

A few years ago it was rumored that DC was going to release new, edited trades of Batman and GL trades that would be updated to New 52 continuity. So what I want is a new edition of Watchman updated by Grant Morrison and Greg Capullo.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Die Laughing posted:

Frank Tieri's HOOD-LUMS, feat. Jason Todd, Rorschach, and introducing the spook-tacular character find of 2016: Kid Spectre!! 👻

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

CapnAndy posted:

Yes but the odds of that holding are slim to none. At some point in the future there will be a mandate to do something with the character so you may as well just incorporate the character now and seal off the old stuff.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Squizzle posted:

Frank Tieri's HOOD-LUMS, feat. Jason Todd, Rorschach, and introducing the spook-tacular character find of 2016: Kid Spectre!! 👻

I'm sold, I'd read the hell out of that. Rorschach is one of the best superhero ever and Jason is...one of the best DC heroes, anyway. Just as long as Kid Spectre is this guy:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Big Bad Beetleborgs remake?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Rhyno posted:

A few years ago it was rumored that DC was going to release new, edited trades of Batman and GL trades that would be updated to New 52 continuity.

I have to admit that sounds like an interesting idea.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I have to admit that sounds like an interesting idea.

:getout: you George Lucas parachute account.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
All they'd do is turn Tim Drake into Damian and make Batman's costume have a bunch of armor lines.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

zoux posted:

Big Bad Beetleborgs remake?

Kamen Rider Ghost.

Big Bad Beetleborgs used footage from Metal Heroes, a TV series made by the same people who make Kamen Rider, so there is a connection.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I like the Ghost costume, but the show is just too silly for me

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 15, 2016

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Rhyno posted:

A few years ago it was rumored that DC was going to release new, edited trades of Batman and GL trades that would be updated to New 52 continuity. So what I want is a new edition of Watchman updated by Grant Morrison and Greg Capullo.

This would require them to actually decide what did and didn't change in New 52 canon, though.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

A few years ago it was rumored that DC was going to release new, edited trades of Batman and GL trades that would be updated to New 52 continuity.
From how far back? Like just Morrison's pre-reboot Batman stuff? I'm trying to picture Bruce Wayne: Murderer/Fugitive with edited word bubbles to fit it into the New52...

"Ah, Sasha, there you are, my new friend who I've just met!"

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Travis343 posted:

This would require them to actually decide what did and didn't change in New 52 canon, though.

That is what it would make interesting. Aside of the hilarity of having to deal with the presence of character's missing in the N52 :v:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

WickedHate posted:

I'm sold, I'd read the hell out of that. Rorschach is one of the best superhero ever and Jason is...one of the best DC heroes, anyway. Just as long as Kid Spectre is this guy:

Rorschach is a terrible superhero and not a good person.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Len posted:

Rorschach is a terrible superhero and not a good person.

Lets ask Question what he thinks about him

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

redbackground posted:

From how far back? Like just Morrison's pre-reboot Batman stuff? I'm trying to picture Bruce Wayne: Murderer/Fugitive with edited word bubbles to fit it into the New52...

"Ah, Sasha, there you are, my new friend who I've just met!"

The Green Lantern ad Batman stuff was what was talked about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

Lets ask Question what he thinks about him

The Question sucks. :colbert:

I've not read any Question stuff, actually, aside from that Multiversity issue. Another thing I should get around to when I have the time.

• Locked thread