Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Rocketpriest posted:

I'm thanking my lucky stars I ground out that Direwolf for this challenge. Realistically, there's no other mech I can think of that will be able to compete once you decide to shoot something. 70 damage on a 2.5 second cooldown is serious hurt. I forget, do solo kills count for the challenge?

If you do the most damage to them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
This challenge makes playing lights a total ballache. Just constant LRM spam by people who might as well be AFK.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Nah, easiest way to drag down those kill most damage points for this challenge is with that KC 0000 sporting 3 LRM15A plus a metric fuckload of ammo and a few heatsinks to offset the fact that the LRMs are in ghost heat territory.

Just lob LRMs everywhere and you'll be the person with the most damage on at least a couple that match. I'm averaging 2 a match with occasional spikes up to 4. Once in a while your team just folds or you get gutted by a light, but it's not nearly as common as you would think.

edit: note also that this is easiest in that you can watch a movie while doing it. Zero brainwork involved. Maybe if you're in a higher tier pubbies are too good at things like "using cover" and "not standing in the middle of a field" but down at 3 at least I'm going to be finished with this challenge tonight with pretty minimal play.

I'm getting 3-6 on pubdrops with the 3x UAC5 2x UAC10 Direwolf.

Wait for pubbies to engage then blast people in the face.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
gently caress.
Shadow Cat(s) or Blackjack(s)?
Both on sale.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

jBrereton posted:

This challenge makes playing lights a total ballache. Just constant LRM spam by people who might as well be AFK.

I got my 40 kills in just running around in my old Yen-lo Wang putting AC/20 rounds up the arse of people who are too stupid (funninly enough, usually LRM boats) to realise that theres someone behind them tearing them a new one. Fantastic way to get the highest damage in when they melt in a couple of hits.

Mediums seem to get matches much quicker? When I was trying to use a Heavy Mech, the time it took before it found a match was much longer.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
This contest is broken. I killed my whole team twice and didn't get anything.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

jBrereton posted:

This challenge rules as a light

Slap radar dep on/play a cheater and run up and get that sweet lrm buttmeat

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Tindahbawx posted:

Mediums seem to get matches much quicker? When I was trying to use a Heavy Mech, the time it took before it found a match was much longer.

That's because everyone thinks that Heavies are going to get that challenge done quicker because

Heavy = more damage! (Not really)

I did this entire thing with a Streakcrow and a Hunchback.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I did most of the challenge leveling up mechs

Gonna buy that ER PPC cicada for shits

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
I made a thing using footage from one of the matches I played with goons a couple days ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saI2mnbpGQo

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=296&l=b11add3a5541b54659ac6df1d72e09ed571dc5d9

I kinda want to do this

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Nah, easiest way to drag down those kill most damage points for this challenge is with that KC 0000 sporting 3 LRM15A plus a metric fuckload of ammo and a few heatsinks to offset the fact that the LRMs are in ghost heat territory.

I meant, "easiest way that doesn't make me want to slam my dick in a desk drawer."

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight
I just ran into a Direwolf with an lrm20 and an lrm15 being super smug about his sweet set-up. I am irrationally angry at videogames right now. There is so much lrm'ing going on for this challenge, it's insane.

vvv It's not like keeping track of both reticules is even hard, what the hell? Then again, most of my play time over the life of this game happened before arm locking was a thing (or it was turned off by default and I never knew about it).

Rocketpriest fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 15, 2016

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
It will never cease to amaze me how utterly bad some people are with unlocked arms.
Look, we get it, you saw this on a video and the guy was pro.
Youre poo poo, youre missing that Atlas in front of you. Keep those arms locked ffs.

Lol, just watched an Atlas getting stung to death by a maddog with 1 medium laser.
Turns out, 3xppc and 1 small is no good setup for a brawl...

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 15, 2016

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Turns out, 3xppc and 1 small is no good setup for a brawl...

Yeah those PPCs need to be ERPPCs. What a chump.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Im not sure if he died from the dog or from burning his reactor.
Shameful display.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Shameful display.

I can't hear this phrase without immediately thinking of the voice over actor from Total War Shogun 2 who says it.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Would it make sense to just use a AC/20 and triple SRM6 on an AS7-D-DC? Just slap extra ammo in it and go to town? Or should I stick a single LLas in an arm?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

Anyone have a better idea for a BOAR'S HEAD?

Commoners does exceptionally well with his gos handing fastlas.
I believe it's an xl 400 and 3lpl on one arm and 2lpl +1mpl on the other. All of the corner peeking basically.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Stringbean posted:

Would it make sense to just use a AC/20 and triple SRM6 on an AS7-D-DC? Just slap extra ammo in it and go to town? Or should I stick a single LLas in an arm?

The point of a mech is to pick an engagement range and style and stick with it. Let a teammate in a different mech cover a different range. Building a multi-range mech is a waste of tonnage (though there are, of course, weapons that are good for multiple ranges)

With the Atlas, you are a big target, and your hardpoints are low on your body. Any sort of engagement means maximum body exposure, so you want the maximum return for risk. That means maximum DPS, and that depends on low heat. Any sort of laser on this type of build is wasted. Use those arms as extra armor by adopting the twisting play style, add enough ammo so you can shoot on every cycle without worrying, and use your size and durability to open up opportunities for teammates.

Playing an atlas means being the tank that draws agro. You can dish out damage, but most of the kills are going to come from teammates.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
That's what I was figuring, it just seems like it has enough hardpoints in its torso that using the arms would be a waste. Considering I can jack the armor up on the arms and twist to my hearts content.

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

TheParadigm posted:

Commoners does exceptionally well with his gos handing fastlas.
I believe it's an xl 400 and 3lpl on one arm and 2lpl +1mpl on the other. All of the corner peeking basically.

Yeah it's kinda hilarious how people are getting by with xl engines in the boars head after recent quirk buffs. I think it was Alchenar who runs his BH with 6 lrg pulses and an xl. It's a build that I would normally scoff at, but he was pooping out fresh dps in it.

I still don't recommend xl engines in the boars head. I just can't. Nope. No. :nono:

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
uhhh... how?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Ice Fist posted:

I can't hear this phrase without immediately thinking of the voice over actor from Total War Shogun 2 who says it.

Its the "I am your father" of our generation.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Stringbean posted:

I run mine with 2 LLs, 4xSRM4, and an AC/20. Don't take too much ammo for the AC/20 as it is the first thing people focus fire.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes, i simply dont know what im looking at.
Just spectated a zeus, an 80-ton assault, with 2 Large Lasers and an Lrm10.

I think you can fit that, including a reasonable amount of ammo, on a medium?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Not as much as that zeus

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Would I be correct in my on paper assessment of the summoner that it is a shittier hellbringer/timber wolf?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

DOMDOM posted:

I run mine with 2 LLs, 4xSRM4, and an AC/20. Don't take too much ammo for the AC/20 as it is the first thing people focus fire.

Idk man I don't think the 2LL contribute much there. Since they're so low-mounted you're not gonna get to use them unless your whole mech is exposed and the mechs you're firing at at that range probably have a lot more than 2LL to fire back at you

Then when you get close they force you to stare at an enemy so they don't sync up well with your ac20/srms, and they're hot so they make you overheat quicker, and they force you to downgrade to SRM4s so you're not getting as much of a knockout blow

I agree on the ac20 ammo bit. Three tons is enough

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Does PGI do refunds if you really hate a hero mech

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Coolwhoami posted:

Would I be correct in my on paper assessment of the summoner that it is a shittier hellbringer/timber wolf?

Yeah it's bad. Semi mobile but bad hard points and huge torsos

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
I think I'm going to give up on the AC20 in the Atlas, the drat thing blows up constantly. I think I'll go for LPLs and SRMs rather than the AC20, MLs and SRMs.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Pattonesque posted:

Yeah it's bad. Semi mobile but bad hard points and huge torsos

As I figured. I'm having a tough time finding any stellar mechs in this sale save the blackjack of course. I am always hearing negative things about the executioner, is there a particular reason for this?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Coolwhoami posted:

As I figured. I'm having a tough time finding any stellar mechs in this sale save the blackjack of course. I am always hearing negative things about the executioner, is there a particular reason for this?

You kind of have to build it as a laser brawler and it's a bit too squishy and hot for that. I wouldn't say it's bad though, just a bit strange

Bait and Swatch posted:

I think I'm going to give up on the AC20 in the Atlas, the drat thing blows up constantly. I think I'll go for LPLs and SRMs rather than the AC20, MLs and SRMs.

The dirty secret of the atlas is that the ASRM6s are your strongest weapon. The AC/20 does go down fast, but the way an Atlas works these days you're not gonna get a whole lot of shots out of it anyway

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Pattonesque posted:

The dirty secret of the atlas is that the ASRM6s are your strongest weapon. The AC/20 does go down fast, but the way an Atlas works these days you're not gonna get a whole lot of shots out of it anyway

That's what I figured. The SRMs hit like a truck, but the AC20 is usually gone in the first trade of the brawl, so I am questioning the space it costs compared to the actual use I get out of it. Is theLBX 10 at all useful, or is it better to just get better lasers?

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
It still boggles me that as good as clan stuff was for ages, PGI managed to make a robot as iconic for simply beating rear end as the Thor as bad as it is.

Regarding good robots for this event: Gonna be having a lot of fun in the Oxide. That thing is perfect for most damage done assists solo kills on bad Assaults that die after 32~ SRMs to the rear CT. I was thinking of dropping from this XL 280 to a slightly smaller engine to hold a little more ammo but the pages of light mech speed posts have me hesitant. 130ish seems fast enough to me, though. I also saw some other launcher arrangements posted; I thought 4xSRM4 was the best, is it not?

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Love Stole the Day posted:

I made a thing using footage from one of the matches I played with goons a couple days ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saI2mnbpGQo

I knew even before I clicked the video that it was gonna be the match where you ran into gently caress city and desperately tried to not die and distract the enemy team.

Pattonesque posted:

Idk man I don't think the 2LL contribute much there. Since they're so low-mounted you're not gonna get to use them unless your whole mech is exposed and the mechs you're firing at at that range probably have a lot more than 2LL to fire back at you

Then when you get close they force you to stare at an enemy so they don't sync up well with your ac20/srms, and they're hot so they make you overheat quicker, and they force you to downgrade to SRM4s so you're not getting as much of a knockout blow

I agree on the ac20 ammo bit. Three tons is enough

Ten tons from dropping the LLs will buy you an upgrade to SRM6s+artemis and some combination of a bigger engine/more ammo. Not using lasers and having a big engine makes it a lot easier to spread damage since you don't have to stare at targets and can twist faster, and being able to run around dropping "gently caress off" 68 point alphas while twisting like a spaz means you should survive to do a decent chunk of damage even if you get focused down immediately.

If you absolutely positively must have something that isn't ammo-based, a pair of medium lasers will give you something to do if you miraculously survive brawling long enough to have your ammo run out.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ZenVulgarity posted:

Does PGI do refunds if you really hate a hero mech

As far as I know, yes. Say what you will about PGI, their customer support is actually really good.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

These Blackjacks are really nice, picked up the BJ-1X seeing as it was on sale and it absolutely shovels out the damage.

Definitely going to buy a couple more of these while they're cheap and max them out. What other variants are decent?

This thing is ridiculously good:

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Sard posted:

It still boggles me that as good as clan stuff was for ages, PGI managed to make a robot as iconic for simply beating rear end as the Thor as bad as it is.

Regarding good robots for this event: Gonna be having a lot of fun in the Oxide. That thing is perfect for most damage done assists solo kills on bad Assaults that die after 32~ SRMs to the rear CT. I was thinking of dropping from this XL 280 to a slightly smaller engine to hold a little more ammo but the pages of light mech speed posts have me hesitant. 130ish seems fast enough to me, though. I also saw some other launcher arrangements posted; I thought 4xSRM4 was the best, is it not?

130 is as slow as you'd ever want to go in something that fragile. Using srm6s rather than 4s means you lose a ton of ammo for each one you swap out, and i frequently find myself without ammo in the dregs of the match so probably best to stick with 4s.

• Locked thread