Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

KKKLIP ART posted:

So I am maybe looking to finally take the plunge and get myself a 3.1 setup, and want to start out looking at receivers. Whats the general feel for the Denon AVR S910W? Seems to have what I want (buttload of HDMI ports, a couple of component and composite ports), don't really care about Atmos or anything like that since I would be using it for a 3.1 solution for now to watch movies and TV with the occasional video games. I don't have a 4K TV, but the idea that at some point in the future it would work with it due to HDMI 2.0 is nice, but not needed. Front facing HDMI is nice because sometimes I plug my laptop in to my TV for HBO Go, but other than that I have kind of simple needs.

E: And right now for a total of $499.99, Denon is selling them new on Amazon, so extra warranty is nice.

E2: AVSForums says that the S910W can convert analog to HDMI which would be sweet for my old systems (SNES, NES) if true.

If you're looking to save a few bucks, A4L has the AVR-E400 for $300. This is what I bought for my 3.0 setup. I chose it because Denons seem well-reviewed, and it has analog up-conversion (the RCA->HDMI you want). IIRC some people on Amazon were complaining about newer Denons like the S900W having UI lockups, which along with the higher price pushed me towards the older model. Obviously it's not an issue for everyone. Do your research.

By the way, depending on what you do with your analog devices, you may be unhappy with the upconversion. The upconversion on mine inserts noticeable, but not unacceptable, latency. This isn't an issue for me as I mostly just play old NES/Genesis platformers on my Wii, so I don't need super precision. But it does throw off my Sonic 3 muscle memory enough that it's noticeable. If you're picky, it might be a big issue for you. If you're not picky, then it's not that bad. Just a heads up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I think they just added Apple Music support to Sonos, so that is probably the easiest option.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Martytoof posted:

The Sonos app has access to your iPhone music library so if I understand you correctly then that should be doable, but it sounds like you may want something with AirPlay built in which isn't the Sonos.

You can hack AirPlay onto a Sonos but you need extra hardware to do it.

You can just buy an AirPort Express and plug the output into the audio input of the Play:5. The 1 and the 3 don't have analog inputs, but the 5 has one.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

smackfu posted:

I think they just added Apple Music support to Sonos, so that is probably the easiest option.

It's in beta but it works really well (at least for my use).

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

fart simpson posted:

You can just buy an AirPort Express and plug the output into the audio input of the Play:5. The 1 and the 3 don't have analog inputs, but the 5 has one.

I have one of these already, I'm just wondering if this method is a viable option, over direct streaming.

BobbyDrake
Mar 13, 2005

Has Onkyo fixed the HDMI problems they were having? I had an Onkyo receiver a few years ago that stopped working after a year or so because of the HDMI issues they were having. The Pioneer I replaced it with sucks and I really want to buy the TX-NR545 because it has everything that I want, but I'm not going to bother if they HDMI board is gonna crap out after a year like the older models.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I can't speak to that issue in particular, but in my experience, Onkyo has fantastic customer support and will replace failed hardware even outside of warranty. I would have no reservations buying from them.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

KillHour posted:

I can't speak to that issue in particular, but in my experience, Onkyo has fantastic customer support and will replace failed hardware even outside of warranty. I would have no reservations buying from them.

There was a point several years ago when that "fantastic" customer support was a single guy and you had to catch him when he was at his desk.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

qirex posted:

There was a point several years ago when that "fantastic" customer support was a single guy and you had to catch him when he was at his desk.

I just emailed him when I needed something. :shrug:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Pioneer and Onkyo are the same company now, or at least in the AVR arena.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Is there a recommended sound bar with woofer amongst the thread? I'd like to buy one on Amazon today, or pick one up off the shelf at best buy this weekend for the PLAYOFFS.

TV is 42".

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

I just got a Pioneer VSX-90 receiver and need to start getting my speakers in order. Does anyone have any experience/opinions on regarding the Bower & Wilkins 600-series versus the CM series?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Petite Dinklage posted:

I just got a Pioneer VSX-90 receiver and need to start getting my speakers in order. Does anyone have any experience/opinions on regarding the Bower & Wilkins 600-series versus the CM series?

Do you have the ability to go to a store and listen? Doesn't get better than that.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Petite Dinklage posted:

I listened to both before settling on a pair of 683's. CM sounded better for most of the stuff I tested, but they need more refined space than I have available and the price difference wasn't worth it for me. For what it's worth, I was mostly comparing CM6 and 683 with Marantz PM7004 amp. I've been very satisfied with my pair of 683 and haven't seriously considered upgrading any piece of my stereo system since.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

always be closing posted:

Is there a recommended sound bar with woofer amongst the thread? I'd like to buy one on Amazon today, or pick one up off the shelf at best buy this weekend for the PLAYOFFS.

TV is 42".

The Vizio one gets good reviews from Amazon for a cheap one.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

BigFactory posted:

Do you have the ability to go to a store and listen? Doesn't get better than that.

The Magnolia store here only has the CM-series center channel and not the bookshelf speakers. I went and listened to the 686 S2's and they sounded amazing, although the bass was somewhat muted. Other than that, they were phenomenal.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

-edit nvm just picked this up

Sony ht-rt5 that has 3 HDMI inputs

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 9, 2016

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Just a quick update.

Picked an AVR-x4100W (a little more oomph and features, and only $50 more) for receiver, put everything together over the past 2 nights, and finally got it running tonight. The only things missing are a sub (but the speakers have a pretty good bass response out of the box, so it's still pretty enjoyable to watch stuff) and a usb blu-ray drive to hook into the mini to watch physical media.
(and do a little cleaning/re-organizing of the physical media to get rid of the stuff that no longer has a home, but that's just aesthetics)

In all, I'm pretty dang pleased.

Thanks for the help!

edit in some pics:

Beverly Cleavage fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 9, 2016

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
So I have a TV hooked up to a 80's era receiver that outputs two channels to a pair of 100w 8 ohm floorspeakers. I just got a pair of bookshelf speakers and want to move the receiver to another room to pair with a record player, so I want a new receiver for the TV. However, since I am just using two channels and a single optical input from TV (which has of poo poo hooked up to it to HDMI) I really probably just need an amp. Does anyone have any suggestions for one to pair with those speakers that also has an IR for a remote and can take a optical input? I've seen a couple that can do this but at wildly different price levels. I generally don't need to blast audio at any high level but I don't want to underpower the speakers either.

Thanks

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Goetta posted:

So I have a TV hooked up to a 80's era receiver that outputs two channels to a pair of 100w 8 ohm floorspeakers. I just got a pair of bookshelf speakers and want to move the receiver to another room to pair with a record player, so I want a new receiver for the TV. However, since I am just using two channels and a single optical input from TV (which has of poo poo hooked up to it to HDMI) I really probably just need an amp. Does anyone have any suggestions for one to pair with those speakers that also has an IR for a remote and can take a optical input? I've seen a couple that can do this but at wildly different price levels. I generally don't need to blast audio at any high level but I don't want to underpower the speakers either.

Thanks

Are you 100% sure you don't want a receiver? A receiver with 4-5 HDMI inputs will greatly simplify your audio setup and a lot of the newer ones have things like airplay/spotify built in and things like Audessey/YPAO for room correction. And if you want you can add more speakers for surround.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

LmaoTheKid posted:

Are you 100% sure you don't want a receiver? A receiver with 4-5 HDMI inputs will greatly simplify your audio setup and a lot of the newer ones have things like airplay/spotify built in and things like Audessey/YPAO for room correction. And if you want you can add more speakers for surround.

Right now the setup I have is really simple because everything goes through the TV. I have Spotify/Plex on a Roku inputting to the TV and don't listen to the radio, so the receiver has just sat on thes same input for forever. That's why I was poking around at amps since I really don't need the non-amp receiver functions.

Although to be honest the more I look around at stuff the more it seems almost criminal to not pair the floor speakers with the record player instead and start from scratch with the TV.

GOOD TIMES ON METH fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 12, 2016

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Fair enough. Just wanted to check. I don't know anything about amps so I'll leave that to someone else.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
If you didn't already have some speakers it sounds like what you really want might be a soundbar of some kind.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah I'm starting to talk myself into replacing the speakers with that I think

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Goetta posted:

Yeah I'm starting to talk myself into replacing the speakers with that I think

Most dedicated amps will cost the same as a surround receiver since audio-only stuff is now "specialty" gear. What's your budget?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Below $200 was what I was hoping. I'm obviously not expecting audio perfection.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Posted this in the quick questions thread and got directed here:

Clanpot Shake posted:

I didn't see a home theater thread so I guess this is the place to ask this. I've got an Onkyo receiver (TX-NR616 to be precise) that has been on the fritz. A chip that controlled the sound for HDMI burnt out (I was getting video with no sound), which is apparently a known issue with this model and Onkyo serviced it for free. Worked fine for about 2 months until last night. Now I'm not getting anything on HDMI input. It only happened last night so I haven't called Onkyo yet, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue and what they did about it. If this thing is going to poo poo the bed every month from now on I'd almost rather buy a new receiver.
Does Onkyo do HDMI fixes a second time around?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Clanpot Shake posted:

Posted this in the quick questions thread and got directed here:
Does Onkyo do HDMI fixes a second time around?

Doesn't hurt to ask in any case. Typically they've been pretty good in honoring their end of the deal.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Petite Dinklage posted:

although the bass was somewhat muted

As is going to be the case with any bookshelf, and generally even floorstanders. I love B&W's sound though. I had a 5 channel system of 602 and 601 S3s and A/B'd them with my (massively higher MSRP) Infinitys and for music I preferred the B&Ws. But since I'm using them for HT the B&Ws went and the Infinitys stayed. Someday I plan on moving back to B&W though, either with a dedicated 2 channel set up or one of their bigger offerings for my HT.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Elac is coming out with a new series of Andrew Jones-designed speakers, positioned above the Debut series. There's a UB5 bookshelf ($500), a EF5 floorstander ($1000) and a UC5 centre channel (price TBD). There will probably be a subwoofer at some point, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Uhkmvd3XnI

Seems like they would be worth checking out.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If you wanted the simplest possible home theater system, how would you do it? I'm thinking to use the TV as the HDMI switch, and an always on sound bar as the audio. That way the only thing that could be wrong is for the TV to be on the wrong input.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

KozmoNaut posted:

Elac is coming out with a new series of Andrew Jones-designed speakers, positioned above the Debut series. There's a UB5 bookshelf ($500), a EF5 floorstander ($1000) and a UC5 centre channel (price TBD). There will probably be a subwoofer at some point, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Uhkmvd3XnI

Seems like they would be worth checking out.

I like the idea of coaxial speakers, I might check these out. It's cool to see how enthusiastic Jones sounds about his work.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

smackfu posted:

If you wanted the simplest possible home theater system, how would you do it? I'm thinking to use the TV as the HDMI switch, and an always on sound bar as the audio. That way the only thing that could be wrong is for the TV to be on the wrong input.

If you mean simple in the easy to use sense, a standard AVR setup is probably simpler than that. Turn on TV. Turn on AVR. Switch AVR input to whatever you want.

I say this because it's easier for me to change inputs on my AVR than my TV, but I guess circumstances differ.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Do you mean "simplest" as "easiest to use" or "fewest components?" There's a big difference between the two.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Easiest to use. Sorry.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I love my Pioneer Andrew Jones bookshelfs and center speaker and I've heard good things about the ELAC ones too. That's cool to see.

The bookshelfs have a surprising amount of bass.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009
I bought a S710W to go with my TV and speakers. The basic layout is this:

This works fairly well as long as we just want to use the Sennheiser transmitter and headphones to listen to video content, which is most of our use cases. It would be nice to be able to use them for purely audio content as well. I tried to leverage a subwoofer pre-amp to get mono to the TR120, but that did not work. Any ideas on how I could configure the TR120 to be a sibling to the speakers instead of its current state as a TV passthrough?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
A little bit off topic; can anyone recommend a Bluetooth speaker? Needs to have a line in also and be small enough to easily travel with.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Peanut3141 posted:

I bought a S710W to go with my TV and speakers. The basic layout is this:

This works fairly well as long as we just want to use the Sennheiser transmitter and headphones to listen to video content, which is most of our use cases. It would be nice to be able to use them for purely audio content as well. I tried to leverage a subwoofer pre-amp to get mono to the TR120, but that did not work. Any ideas on how I could configure the TR120 to be a sibling to the speakers instead of its current state as a TV passthrough?

Use 1/4" to 1/8" adapter, 1/8" to RCA adapter, plug into headphone transmitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Red_Fred posted:

A little bit off topic; can anyone recommend a Bluetooth speaker? Needs to have a line in also and be small enough to easily travel with.

I've had this one for about 6 months and travel frequently with it. Micro USB charging and line in makes it pretty convenient.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LP4CRSI