Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yes, and that makes the gods monstrously exploitative, but the setting doesn't treat them as such, which makes no sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Please, please, let's not get into the "Wall of the Faithless is evil/justified" argument. Nothing good ever comes of it.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

It's definitely dumb.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
There's no real argument to be had. Rand is just plain correct. It's writing-by-committee and it's thematically incoherent as a result :shrug:

No one's ever accused Forgotten Realms of being a good setting though.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

FR is super depressing in a way; it was never meant to be Elminster is So Great, Let's All go to Cormyr Again: The Series. It was supposed to be a world of heroic one-offs where anything could happen, so big that every culture in every climate existed and every adventure could be had, from wheeling and dealing in Amn to intriguing in Waterdeep to killing Red Wizards in Rashemen to whatever the hell people do in Halruua. There's even a jungle continent full of snakemen! And a country full of snakemen in disguise where paranoia is a way of life! There's a whole inland sea where you can be a pirate, and every city state is different! I just wish people would look at the actually interesting parts.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
Don't blame me I ran Eberron games :colbert:

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Ebberron is in the top 3 D&D settings along with Dark Sun and Planescape. The only thing I've never managed to do is figure out which order they go in.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

I'll always resent Eberron because Rich wad runner up in that contest.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Mr. Kelemvor, tear down this Wall

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Rygar201 posted:

If Burlew had won, Order of the Stick probably would never have gone past the dungeon of Dorukan as he'd be too busy.

Who knows if it would have been worth it.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

What was Rich's contest entry?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

NihilCredo posted:

Under an NDA. Wizards took ownership of all three finalists (Rich got 20k all-up for coming runner-up and expanding on it for the final judging, he wrote about 125k words) and Burlew's taken the NDA seriously. He's never said a peep about what it actually involved, except that a few elements have made their way into 'Races of...' and Dragon articles.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jan 14, 2016

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

NihilCredo posted:

A module introducing Sir Thumb and his Digit Knight class. It mostly focusses on his crusade against glass.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

wiegieman posted:

FR is super depressing in a way; it was never meant to be Elminster is So Great, Let's All go to Cormyr Again: The Series. It was supposed to be a world of heroic one-offs where anything could happen, so big that every culture in every climate existed and every adventure could be had, from wheeling and dealing in Amn to intriguing in Waterdeep to killing Red Wizards in Rashemen to whatever the hell people do in Halruua. There's even a jungle continent full of snakemen! And a country full of snakemen in disguise where paranoia is a way of life! There's a whole inland sea where you can be a pirate, and every city state is different! I just wish people would look at the actually interesting parts.
D&D video games will forever be set around the loving Sword Coast and you will take on the role of a dirt farmer who goes on to be a paladin (you can technically play other classes but the game is written around one but hey TOTALLY YOUR CHOICE) and you will like it, bitch

e: Mask of the Betrayer immediately got 1000x more interesting just for not being set around the loving Sword Coast

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Rygar201 posted:

Eberron rules, and we don't even know what Rich's setting was like. Let it go.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Rich's setting would have to be absurdly good to make up for the loss of both OotS and Eberron, so I'm okay with how things turned out. I'll always be curious about it, though.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
not to mention keith baker got a friendly cameo in Start of Darkness. i dont think theres ever been any particular animosity between them, at most its a joking rivals deal

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

My Lovely Horse posted:

D&D video games will forever be set around the loving Sword Coast and you will take on the role of a dirt farmer who goes on to be a paladin (you can technically play other classes but the game is written around one but hey TOTALLY YOUR CHOICE) and you will like it, bitch

e: Mask of the Betrayer immediately got 1000x more interesting just for not being set around the loving Sword Coast

Yeah FR is a perfectly good setting loaded with tons of cool poo poo that doesn't get used enough.

Being set in Rashemen, rad land of fancy ghost animals everywhere was seriously a point in Mask's favor.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Small things about FR are fun too: fly, teleport, and other magical travel are virtually certain to gently caress up for travel except in emergencies, making places culturally disconnected in spite of the absurd numbers of high level casters around.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
I've stopped playing D&D years and years ago. OoTS is way more valuable to me then another D&D setting that would get lost in edition wars.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Guys, guys, guys. It's okay. I was being flippant. I promise all of you that I have lost no sleep over this. The extent of my resentment is literally remembering that it was even A Thing when I read the word Eberron.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Captain Oblivious posted:

There's no real argument to be had. Rand is just plain correct. It's writing-by-committee and it's thematically incoherent as a result :shrug:

No one's ever accused Forgotten Realms of being a good setting though.

Fartgotten Realms.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Naramyth posted:

I've stopped playing D&D years and years ago. OoTS is way more valuable to me then another D&D setting that would get lost in edition wars.

Are we talking about the same Forgotten Realms? Because not only have they survived, but became the default setting.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

ikanreed posted:

Are we talking about the same Forgotten Realms? Because not only have they survived, but became the default setting.

Reading this makes me want to get killed by my lieutenant, come back as a god, get trapped in a prison demi-plane, break out into the city of doors, and rewrite all of the DnD cosmology so that the Forgotten Realms doesn't exist any more.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

ikanreed posted:

No, whatever setting Rich had, and the opportunity cost of losing OoTS for it.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

A.o.D. posted:

Reading this makes me want to get killed by my lieutenant, come back as a god, get trapped in a prison demi-plane, break out into the city of doors, and rewrite all of the DnD cosmology so that the Forgotten Realms doesn't exist any more.

It's German for "The Vecna, The".

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Carrasco posted:

It's German for "The Vecna, The".

Ironically in Die Vecna Die. It is impossible for Vecna to die. He ether becomes the all powerful controller of all reality, or he powers up to a lesser god and changes the rules of the universe around a bit.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'll have you know the protagonist in NVN2 was farming swamp and not dirt. :v:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
For all of its technical problems I loved the hell out of Temple of Elemental Evil (the pc game). It was a fairly solid and reasonably nuanced tactical tabletop simulation. The elemental nodes were a bit underwhelming but otherwise it was pretty cool.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Poil posted:

I'll have you know the protagonist in NVN2 was farming swamp and not dirt. :v:
I don't know how I could forget, I played that prologue approximately seven thousand times trying to figure out a class to stick with.

One of NWN2's biggest problems was the total lack of self-awareness. Or rather, the lack of self-awareness in all the dialogue options. Basically what I wanted to do was play as Tarmas.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Librarian is a better background than you get in most rpgs. :colbert:

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

For all of its technical problems I loved the hell out of Temple of Elemental Evil (the pc game). It was a fairly solid and reasonably nuanced tactical tabletop simulation

With excruciatingly slow animations. Why, yes, I want it to take 12 seconds to execute a kick when I'm playing a lightning fast monk with flurry activated so that I can observe how sweet it looks. Ugh.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

rocketrobot posted:

With excruciatingly slow animations. Why, yes, I want it to take 12 seconds to execute a kick when I'm playing a lightning fast monk with flurry activated so that I can observe how sweet it looks. Ugh.

If it could be described as "polish" then ToEE lacked it. The game's only positive quality was that it was a very good implementation of the D&D 3.5 <b>rules</b>.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Talk about backhanded compliments

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Talk about backhanded compliments

Well, you say that, but implementing an extremely complex system that usually relies on a bit of human-style judgement calls in a relatively accurate and comparatively playable manner is a respectable achievement.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
What's the best class to play in NWN2?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Cleric probably. The encounters mostly aren't conducive to blasting, and enemies are actually often highly resistant to the save-or-dies present in the game. You get basically unlimited rests whenever you want though, so cleric can burn through most things by hyperbuffing themselves. Also never use Quara if you do this, because she will happily throw an AoE Dispel Magic at you as you wade into battle, then fireball you for good measure. Because she's awful.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ikanreed posted:

Well, you say that, but implementing an extremely complex system that usually relies on a bit of human-style judgement calls in a relatively accurate and comparatively playable manner is a respectable achievement.
That game is still hosting a pretty dedicated modding team. the Circle of Eight have really made the game very playable without having to worry about getting stopped cold by save-ruining bugs.

Edit Oh, and they actually finished their Keep on the Borderlands total conversion. Which is actually pretty loving impressive.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Who What Now posted:

Absolutely not a rogue because their one class feature is useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Why 3.5 didn't give rogues something like Epic Precision for free at level 1 is beyond me.