Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
So I got a call in on someone else's ticket as he needed continued assistance on their issue.

I got logs from the OS and saw a mount called "buffalo_ts02" from the network....
I NEVER WANTED TO SEE ONE OF THESE WHY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
A ticket came in:

quote:

the printer seems to be working now??????

Fascinating.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

A forwarded e-mail generated a ticket:

quote:

Subject: FW: Booted

Please investigate.

>Got booted. Phone did ring?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

kensei posted:

A ticket came in:

cabinet temperature: 16838 degrese Celcius

:wtc:

Still cooler than my former coworker's bitcoin closet (if you added all the GPU's core temps together).

Gealar
May 2, 2013
Ticket came in:

Effective Now email requires Two factor authentication and furnished equipment.

we had less then 24hr notice on this. So many people are coming in or calling.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

divabot posted:

We Talked to a Witch Who Casts Viruses Out of Computers With Magic

snakes are physically manifesting in my home at this article

Not really that much of a stretch, really; most people already think what we do is magic.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Che Delilas posted:

Not really that much of a stretch, really; most people already think what we do is magic.

I have had users call me a wizard and a mage. My favorite schools of magic are GPO and power shell. Allow me to fix your problem while you are explaining it to me then tell you it is now fixed. No I believe you that it was broken, I saw that it was and fixed it while talking to you. Have a good day.

GPO spells require the user goes the the ritual of re-boo-ta and is less impressive.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

divabot posted:

We Talked to a Witch Who Casts Viruses Out of Computers With Magic

snakes are physically manifesting in my home at this article

have you tried banishing and summoning again

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Che Delilas posted:

My coworker has the best story for this one. Out of context is best:

*calls admin assistant regarding building heating not working*
"Yes, hello <admin assistant>. If you could unplug the blue network cable from the side of your copier for me, your heat will come back on."

She didn't believe him and had to be coaxed into actually doing it. Go figure it worked. He is forever a true wizard to them.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
I gotta hear the full story for this one.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

pixaal posted:

GPO spells require the user goes the the ritual of re-boo-ta and is less impressive.

"Please save all work before I continue"

Powerspell : Invoke-GPUpdate -computer HostName -Force -LogOff

"Log in, all of your problems are fixed"

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

RadicalR posted:

I gotta hear the full story for this one.

Seconded. I'm having a hell of a time trying to figure out how this could happen.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Segmentation Fault posted:

have you tried banishing and summoning again
:golfclap:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Che Delilas posted:

One time a computer was beeping. It beeped for nearly twelve hours before someone told me about it.

I walked in and put my hand on it, intending to lean down and put my ear next to it, when it stopped beeping all of a sudden.

The entire room just stared slack-jawed at what appeared to be me laying hands on a machine and fixing it through divine providence.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Kind of off topic, but has this thread seen this yet?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

One time a computer was beeping. It beeped for nearly twelve hours before someone told me about it.

I walked in and put my hand on it, intending to lean down and put my ear next to it, when it stopped beeping all of a sudden.

The entire room just stared slack-jawed at what appeared to be me laying hands on a machine and fixing it through divine providence.

I had a lady come into my shop once with a tablet that wouldn't connect to the internet. She claimed she tried to fix it by performing reiki on it. When I picked it up and connected it to the shop's wifi, it worked perfectly. She claimed I fixed it with my hands and was amazed.

When she left she told me that I had a very large, powerful center chakra or whatever and I'm not sure if she was making fun of my gut or what.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Kaethela posted:

A forwarded e-mail generated a ticket:

:effort:

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Had my first visit to a remote site in the Highlands of Scotland. The server room was an Aladdin's Cave of poo poo.

Old hubs, CRT monitors, an overhead projector...

Here's a Toshiba 1910. This was the Edwardian era, where people had a keen sense of propriety.

Hence the sliding modesty panels to conceal the shameful ports.
Underneath is a docking station the size of a bodyboard.

Oh poo poo, this fucker's alive!
I don't want to know what critical system it runs.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

quote:

Won't be running much for long with that low disk space error.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Kaethela posted:

Seconded. I'm having a hell of a time trying to figure out how this could happen.

So basically the installers that came out to set up the new HVAC system didn't read, or typo'd the IP config for the control system. They stuck it on the wrong IP range; should have been .3.x but they configured .2.x. The .2.x range is where the copiers are. So naturally the copiers being already online, had control over the addresses the HVAC controls were trying to communicate on. Once he found this out he just asked her to unplug the copier from the network to get the heat working.

Even knowing that you can still only imagine how that must have sounded to her on the other end.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

ChubbyThePhat posted:

So basically the installers that came out to set up the new HVAC system didn't read, or typo'd the IP config for the control system. They stuck it on the wrong IP range; should have been .3.x but they configured .2.x. The .2.x range is where the copiers are. So naturally the copiers being already online, had control over the addresses the HVAC controls were trying to communicate on. Once he found this out he just asked her to unplug the copier from the network to get the heat working.

Even knowing that you can still only imagine how that must have sounded to her on the other end.

This is fantastic. gently caress printers.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

bitterandtwisted posted:

an Aladdin's Cave of poo poo.

TOUCH NOTHING BUT THE LAMP

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Was it running on the same VLAN as the printers because you needed to get it working quickly with the address they had already configured the AC with, or do you have a single VLAN and a bunch of different subnets?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

TOUCH NOTHING BUT THE LAMP

Go Left :goleft:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Renegret posted:

loving lol if you think I'm reading the entirety of the Star Citizen Thread so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the current rumor mill for that game is that their customer service just upped and closed every single ticket in their queue for the New Year. Their logic is "Well we just released a patch that should have fixed a bunch of bugs so just open a new ticket if you're still having problems.

Their current ticket turnaround time is about 3 weeks.

I wish we could do that, we're sitting at just over 4000 open tickets. Oldest one goes back to January of 2013 :smith:

a few pages back, but Star Citizen is a thing now? Like, you can actually play it? :aaa:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

RFC2324 posted:

a few pages back, but Star Citizen is a thing now? Like, you can actually play it? :aaa:
Kind of, but it's nowhere near complete. Maybe in five to ten years it'll reach feature parity with Elite: Dangerous.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

RFC2324 posted:

haha no.

You can however download an 11gb Crytek ship demo that will crash repeatedly.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Better than I had expected, tbh. Its not COMPLETE vaporware anymore!

bitterandtwisted posted:

Had my first visit to a remote site in the Highlands of Scotland. The server room was an Aladdin's Cave of poo poo.

Here's a Toshiba 1910. This was the Edwardian era, where people had a keen sense of propriety.

Were you not aware that Scots are notorious hoarders? They won't get rid of a drat thing unless you prove to them, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that it is not and never will be worth anything.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Actually it's the English that won't ditch the monarchy.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

bitterandtwisted posted:

If that remote site weren't in the highlands, I'd have to ask where you go the key to our storeroom.

My team lead is our resident hoarder, he's got a stash of laptops from every era. The Toshiba 1910 is on the workbench, next to three different Dells badged for their Windows 95 compatibility. We've repeatedly threatened him with having them removed by force, but he's having none of it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Actually it's the English that won't ditch the monarchy.

:fry:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

RFC2324 posted:

Were you not aware that Scots are notorious hoarders?
Nice casual racism in the ticket thread

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

jre posted:

Is it racism if it's true?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

jre posted:

Is it racism is multiple scotsmen have solemnly informed me that it is not just a fact, but a holy mission?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

RFC2324 posted:

Some of my best friends are scottish

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I might be a weirdo, but those old laptops fascinate me.

Especially the old Toshibas etc, though I'm probably biased because my first laptop was a Toshiba T1000SE.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

#NotAlLScots

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Just report the post and move on?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
GBS is leaking?

Another ticket came in:

quote:

I need this thing you already gave me 5 hours ago. I also need you to answer a bunch of questions completely unrelated to your department because Finance is gone for the day. THIS IS URGENT! BUDGET IS DUE TODAY!

I had left work an hour ago, and was already hanging out with a friend from out of town.
In the interest of preventing a shitstorm, I took my friend back to the office to hand hold my boss and ticket submitter through this hurricane of stupidity. We were like 5 minutes away.
I gave my boss all the information I'd already given the user, he forwarded it onto the user. I asked my boss if he knew the answers to the Finance related questions and he didn't have a clue.
Went to get the user to have a little face to face and see if I could help clear anything up.
They were already gone.
:sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

GBS is leaking?

Another ticket came in:

I had left work an hour ago, and was already hanging out with a friend from out of town.
In the interest of preventing a shitstorm, I took my friend back to the office to hand hold my boss and ticket submitter through this hurricane of stupidity. We were like 5 minutes away.
I gave my boss all the information I'd already given the user, he forwarded it onto the user. I asked my boss if he knew the answers to the Finance related questions and he didn't have a clue.
Went to get the user to have a little face to face and see if I could help clear anything up.
They were already gone.
:sigh:

"Went to ask the user but they had left for the day. Retrieved the users desktop PC for investigation into why already sent information didn't arrive and generated a ticket to replace it. Should have new desktop in place by next Friday."

• Locked thread