Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i love this damned thread and all its posters

literally damned, we're going to hell, hail satan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I keep checking on this thread every time it gets a new post, because I assume it'll be an update or some new information from Hussie.

My brain knows it won't be, but here I am.
To save this from being an empty quote, after delays and extending the comic, Jonathon Hickman finished the ending to Secret Wars, wrapping up a story he took years to tell.

In the SA thread, as the Secret Wars pause progressed, goons went out to say the delay killed their motivation and interest in the story.

From all accounts, Hickman killed it, and some of these goons instantly proclaimed it a classic among the best Marvel stories told.

I don't have any doubt I'll see the same thing happen when HS ends.

(If you want to know what it's about, a Secret Serket Society decides to save their world and their universe by going Mindfang. It ends as well for them as you'd expect)

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

Ytlaya posted:

Is it the one where Dave installs Sburb and Rose enters the game? I just saw that not too long ago and am reading the intermission after it now. It was neat and the only thing that confused me at first was when breaking the bottle caused her to enter the game, but then I remembered that the apple is what caused John to enter.

Yep, that's the one. "Sburban Jungle" is a super iconic track in homestuck music and you'll recognize samples of it in a lot of future music.

As for the intermission, it's supposed to be a bit of a silly clusterfuck, but it's not super necessary to keep most of their powers straight. It will end up being relevant later though.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
How can you not like four noir gangsters murdering a bunch of time travelling elves.
Might not have much to do with homestuck's story right now but the story loving does that a lot and this was one of the few times where it dragged the reader to something unrelated but fantastic.
But whatever to each their own,

However if you dislike the midknight crew intermission and actually like hivebent we might have to fight.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Well, mostly the stuff about Dave and his bro, like the way "Time on My Side" includes a number of metal sounds that we now know Dave hates.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Ytlaya posted:

This part with the gangsters fighting green guys in a buildings full of clocks is really confusing (not just because I'm not familiar with the characters, but also because I can't figure out the time powers some of the green guys have). I'm assuming this will make sense later or something?

I honestly wanted to skip this part until someone told me it would be relevant. Don't worry about keeping things straight right away and just power through anything you don't understand, it doesn't make too much of a difference. The most important characters are the four card-suit gangsters and the one woman on the other side.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

GunnerJ posted:

I honestly wanted to skip this part until someone told me it would be relevant. Don't worry about keeping things straight right away and just power through anything you don't understand, it doesn't make too much of a difference. The most important characters are the four card-suit gangsters and the one woman on the other side.
This is really good advice. I skipped the intermission (yes, I know I'm a terrible person, I'm used to that) but reading it in this frame of mind would have been extremely helpful. You do need to read it sooner or later, because it becomes plot-significant.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
imo that's the kind of attitude that not only will have you not finish homestuck but feel ashamed of the time you spent reading it.

Don't worry about how things tie to the main story. They'll be explained. Find enjoyment in the part you're reading now.

I stopped reading homestuck at act 6 when time after time again the part I wanted the comic to focus on had been dropped while it chased after a brand new toy idea/character set time and time again. I was never able to finish reading homestuck until I realized that what homestuck is changes capriciously and the part that was important to me was not going to come back. You don't worry about figuring out homestuck, homestuck is too busy figuring out itself. Once I dropped those expectations I was able to enjoy the comic on a rereading including the parts I had once dreaded.

Midknight crew intermission, at its time, I don't think was supposed to be entertaining because of some super storyline poo poo that it ends up barely tying to. It's enjoyable because it's bloody and funny and brute force wins over overcomplicated time travel powers and it's a bone thrown to problem sleuth readers who missed that kind of anarchy. Stories are meant to be enjoyed not be a bunch of meaningless cryptic symbols.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

That's funny, because one of the things I like about Homestuck is how every little thing ties together one way or another.
I guess that is why I enjoy those theorizing that others in the thread do not: if I am being shown that even the fact that that book is heavy enough to kill a cat ends up being relevant, all those tidbits about the game and whatnot look tantalizingly like a pattern that waits only to be understood.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If the intermission was a standalone story I'd probably like it more than I like Homestuck as a whole

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
way I feel about it is be in the moment you're reading, then think about all the connections and stuff when you're on a break from reading it.
Like notice the symbols and poo poo but don't just frantically click it looking for a symbol you found to be important instead of reading it or enjoying it because if you're doing that what's the point, the symbols are important but enjoying it and reading it are important too.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Acne Rain posted:

way I feel about it is be in the moment you're reading, then think about all the connections and stuff when you're on a break from reading it.
Like notice the symbols and poo poo but don't just frantically click it looking for a symbol you found to be important instead of reading it or enjoying it because if you're doing that what's the point, the symbols are important but enjoying it and reading it are important too.

I think this is an excellent strategy. That's what I did on my first lightning read, then I spent a lot of time like Plom Bar, chasing down the stuff I didn't understand or had missed. For instance, [S] Cascade is really dense, and it was for watchers at the time. It really helps to pause and go find somebody laying out everything that just happened.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Reading webcomics requires strategy

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Acne Rain posted:

imo that's the kind of attitude that not only will have you not finish homestuck but feel ashamed of the time you spent reading it.

It's the only attitude that got me through to reading the rest of Homestuck when this bizarre out-of-nowhere interlude about random time fuckery dropped suddenly and without warning, which is why I recommend it for that one part alone.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Reading Proust or War and Peace sure the hell does.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Reading Proust or War and Peace sure the hell does.

my proust strategy is "read literally anything else"

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Reading War and Peace, which I did decades ago, was made much, much easier by a card listing all the different names that you could call one character. (Sasha, or Alexander Nicolaevich, or the Prince of Idunno, and so on.)

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Drawing diagrams of characters' locations and relationships to each other is pretty standard practice if you're in a 3000-level literature study course. Which is the main reason I never finished my English degree.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
while that one pbs thing comparing homestuck to gravitys rainbow is still the lamest thing ever, it has a slight point in that homestuck is also a huge sprawling work that leaps around haphazardly and intentionally tries to disorient the reader with a gigantic cast of characters and inconsistent orders of events. then of course there the insufferably po-mo device of seguing directly from dick jokes to existential quandaries whil the author audibly chuckles at the audiences discomfort.

theyre also both mostly unreadable for most people and not even their respective authors best works

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 15, 2016

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

CidGregor posted:

Yep, that's the one. "Sburban Jungle" is a super iconic track in homestuck music and you'll recognize samples of it in a lot of future music.

Ytlaya posted:

I like the music during the Flash game part where I'm John ([S] ACT 4 ==>).

Along with Sburban Jungle from the Rose Enter flash, the music from the Act Four Walkaround is Doctor, which you will hear quoted so many times in conjunction with an unreleased song that people actually confuse the two.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
if homestuck is the ulysses of the internet whats hussie's finnegans wake

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

If the intermission was a standalone story I'd probably like it more than I like Homestuck as a whole

The intermission is a lot like Problem Sleuth, a standalone story that's better than Homestuck as a whole

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Also true.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I really like The Felt.

I wish there were more Felt adventures I could read about.

That is my opinion.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Regy Rusty posted:

Dolash has done a great service by letting me read the comic for leisure and then just nod at their posts without doing any of that thinking or ~strategizing~ myself.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Ammat The Ankh posted:

The intermission is a lot like Problem Sleuth, a standalone story that's better than Homestuck as a whole

I've read through homestuck twice and can't make it through sleuth and I've tried multiple times :shrug:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Death Bot posted:

I've read through homestuck twice and can't make it through sleuth and I've tried multiple times :shrug:

Boooooooooo!

Your opinions are bad and you should feel bad!

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

I was that way for a while. Then Topatoco accidentally sent me Volume 5 with my order and I read that. That inspired me to go back and reread the whole thing. It's definitely a flavor all its own, and is far more up its own rear end about fake gaming abstractions than what Homestuck ultimately became, but it's a good read.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

I mean I'm like 3/4 through it I guess and it just feels like all the arcane plot elements of homestuck without the characters that I like. It's funny sometimes but I stopped reading it for a bit one time and the already unfollowable comic I had no investment in felt that much more confusing

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Death Bot posted:

I mean I'm like 3/4 through it I guess and it just feels like all the arcane plot elements of homestuck without the characters that I like. It's funny sometimes but I stopped reading it for a bit one time and the already unfollowable comic I had no investment in felt that much more confusing

I tried reading it and had trouble getting into it because my favorite part of Homestuck (so far at least) is the chatlogs and seeing these silly characters talk to one another. I don't think I'd enjoy it a fraction as much if not for those.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

The intermission is supposed to teach you the personalities of Jack Noir, CD, HB, and DD when they appear later in the story. This is really only the first of many times when you'll be jumping forwards or backwards in time as the story is told very non-linearly, at least in the coming acts.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

Ytlaya posted:

I tried reading it and had trouble getting into it because my favorite part of Homestuck (so far at least) is the chatlogs and seeing these silly characters talk to one another. I don't think I'd enjoy it a fraction as much if not for those.

Yeah I'm about in this same boat. Problems Sleuth is still good, but I don't like it nearly as much. The really in-depth character interactions are what really sell me on Homestuck.

Well, that and the music.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Plom Bar posted:

Drawing diagrams of characters' locations and relationships to each other is pretty standard practice if you're in a 3000-level literature study course. Which is the main reason I never finished my English degree.

Look, if you don't know the entire family tree of the Elven Kings in the Silmarillion by heart, you're not even trying.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Spellman posted:

The intermission is supposed to teach you the personalities of Jack Noir, CD, HB, and DD when they appear later in the story. This is really only the first of many times when you'll be jumping forwards or backwards in time as the story is told very non-linearly, at least in the coming acts.

Of course, by and large those characters almost immediately went on to be usurped for other villains and mostly did absolutely nothing.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Of course, by and large those characters almost immediately went on to be usurped for other villains and mostly did absolutely nothing.

While that's true for HB, and true after Act 5 for CD, Jack remains a super important character even still and DD was a major threat for a good chunk of Act 6.

The Intermission also introduced us to something far more pressing.

Lord English.

Honestly, the only villain really introduced after the Intermission was the Troll Queen...who is only a technicality as John already despised her very existence before hand.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

We also learn about Snowman and her relation to the universe she occupies, which certainly is relevant.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Haha wow, future Dave just appeared and then went back and prototyped himself with present Dave's sprite, wasn't expecting that.

I was expecting that John was being tricked though (not that it was much of a surprise).

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
You're reminding me of all the cool stuff I really liked in this comic.

I'd be real interested in your opinion on Act 6 as it comes out. I know I'm not not really a fan, and I think it's kind of what made me go from "oh god Homestuck is the best thing" to "eh, it's pretty good I guess", I know a bunch of people in this thread say it works much better on a reread, but I didn't really find that and it'd be cool to hear what a total newbie feels about it.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Haha wow, future Dave just appeared and then went back and prototyped himself with present Dave's sprite, wasn't expecting that.

I was expecting that John was being tricked though (not that it was much of a surprise).
personally i was shocked that the giggling sociopath did not have johns best interests in mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Out of curiosity,. when exactly (that is, what point in the comic) did Homestuck become so popular?