Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

zoux posted:

I don't find law equals morality to be a compelling argument, and again, there are plenty of famous stories that were only broken by bending or outright disobeying the law. And selective editing may be scummy, but writers, editors and publications all have biases and angles, and consciously or subconsciously withhold or exaggerate or misrepresent facts all the time. The problem is that some people want courts to weigh in on what should be a question of industry ethics. If you can prove that it reaches the standard of libel or slander that's one thing, but I don't think that's what the suit is about.

But they're not part of the industry. It's not a paper or other publication.

To be honest, it probably is libel to edit things the way they did.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Remember that everything you outlaw will be used as a weapon against your side too.

Everything they did that's illegal is illegal without trying to attack their first amendment rights, and if we try to take away their first amendment rights just because we don't like the stuff that wasn't technically illegal we need to make sure we're fine with that happening to the good guys too.

Always.

And I'm in full agreement here, I don't think the message itself is actionable in a legal sense, other than it being libelous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

stinkles1112 posted:

But deception isn't and shouldn't be illegal, right?

Not all deception is actionable, much of it is.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Talmonis posted:

But they're not part of the industry. It's not a paper or other publication.

This is actually even a stickier issue due to the proliferation of blogs and alternative media. You can't say "so-and-so is not a journalist" without opening a whole can of worms.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

zoux posted:

This is actually even a stickier issue due to the proliferation of blogs and alternative media. You can't say "so-and-so is not a journalist" without opening a whole can of worms.

True. Probably a discussion for another thread.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Ballz posted:

US Supreme Court to hear ex-Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell's appeal on a bribery conviction.

He's lost every appeal so far. Why the SCOTUS has decided to intervene is beyond me.

Because John Roberts believes that anything other than explicit quid pro quo is not corruption.

That scumbag deserves his jailtime, but I can't help but think McDonnell's going to win. Ugh.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Mr Jaunts posted:

Because John Roberts believes that anything other than explicit quid pro quo is not corruption.

That scumbag deserves his jailtime, but I can't help but think McDonnell's going to win. Ugh.

This is why Hillary or Bernie must win. If not we're going back to the Lochner era for at least a generation, maybe two.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I neglected to provide a convenient NOT ALL out for pro-life group X.

So yea, pro-life groups mostly just waste everyone's time and money to inflict their personal beliefs on other people. The people shooting up abortion clinics are not representative of the population as a whole but there aren't very many reasons to shoot an abortion doctor for being an abortion doctor outside of extremist pro-life rhetoric.

Rhetoric I have zero respect for outside of common courtesy which I will admit was absent from my posting.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Unzip and Attack posted:

I'm no lawyer but I tend to think giving a false name/purpose shouldn't be illegal. Editing video to commit willful defamation should be illegal.

Good luck proving the willful part. That's intent. Got any taped confessions?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

You can't accidentally edit a video.

If someone puts up a 'no irish need apply' sign, we don't need to peer into their mind to ascertain their goals.

edit: I'm pretty sure we don't need to pretend it's mystically impossible to define 'Journalist', courts have and use various definitions for the term.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 15, 2016

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

lol at "liberals" arguing editing videos in ways they don't like should be a crime.

Remember kids if you don't have the backing of a large company, you're not a real journalist!

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

"liberals" don't like kids!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Trabisnikof posted:

I killed kids

guess we better SWAT your house, because thanks to this editing you're admitting to the commission of a crime!

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Trabisnikof posted:

lol at "liberals" arguing editing videos in ways they don't like should be a crime.

Remember kids if you don't have the backing of a large company, you're not a real journalist!
People are definitely saying those things.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

whitey delenda est posted:

guess we better SWAT your house, because thanks to this editing you're admitting to the commission of a crime!

thanks for proving my point :) I don't think you should go to jail for that

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

This discussion is stupid and doesn't belong in the thread

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

thanks for proving my point :) I don't think you should go to jail for that

Libel is a bad thing.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

If you can't even keep the terms defamation and libel straight, maybe you don't know what you're talking about.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The new Netflix series Making a Murderer could probably be reasonably called willful defamation.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

blue squares posted:

Yeah what does journalism have to do with US politics?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

If you can't even keep the terms defamation and libel straight, maybe you don't know what you're talking about.

quote:

li·bel
/ˈlîbəl/
noun
noun: libel; plural noun: libels
Law

A published false statement that is damaging to a person's reputation; a written defamation.

Are you confused or something? Libel is defamation.

computer parts posted:

The new Netflix series Making a Murderer could probably be reasonably called willful defamation.

If it's actionable enough, the victim should sue the absolute gently caress out of the creator.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Talmonis posted:

If it's actionable enough, the victim should sue the absolute gently caress out of the creator.

The victim in this case is members of the local police department.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

computer parts posted:

The victim in this case is members of the local police department.

If they've been subject to something libelous, they should sue. (I don't know the context, I've not watched the show.)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

blue squares posted:

You know what does?

Chili

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

DeusExMachinima posted:

Good luck proving the willful part. That's intent. Got any taped confessions?

Well, it's not a specific confession, but one of them wrote a book talking about doing it.

Also, it's a lot easier to show that someone knew something was false when they just spent an enormous amount of time and effort investigating the subject.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Realtalk though, the slapfight over PP suing kind of misses the forest for the trees. Sure, it's free speech, but the right to free speech does not mean freedom from consequences, just protection from government punishment thereof. If they have them on record as using illegal tactics to create their media, welp, that's a crime. Sorry. Otherwise the government has no jurisdiction charging them.

Civil suit? Every man for himself. Prove damages and you're good to go.

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 15, 2016

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

[quote="gawkerpost="455025976""]
http://gawker.com/i-watched-michael-bays-benghazi-movie-at-cowboys-stadiu-1753238965

Even the slain ambassador, Chris Stevens, is given pretty short shrift. He comes to Benghazi with a pretty face and high ideals—a “true believer.” He gives the annex a corny pep talk about bringing Democratic values to Libya, while a warrior nods off in the background. He’s a victim and we mourn his passing, sure, but he just doesn’t get it. As proof of his vanity, his consular residence contains a framed picture of himself being interviewed on TV. We see it shortly before he is killed.

There’s a lot that’s bizarre about the framing of the main events in 13 Hours, but the portrayal of Stevens is possibly the strangest part. The ambassador is, in conservative Benghazi narratives, the foremost martyr, a man to be honored and remembered, betrayed by the administration. If what is honorable about the contractors is their willingness to lay down life for country, you might think Stevens deserves similar recognition: not so, in Bay’s estimation.
[/quote]

Niiiceeeeee

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Nothing is True and Everyone is in Court

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

McDowell posted:

Nothing is True and Everyone is in Court

This but unironically, sophism best phism

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ballz posted:

US Supreme Court to hear ex-Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell's appeal on a bribery conviction.

He's lost every appeal so far. Why the SCOTUS has decided to intervene is beyond me.

Because money is speech and he should be free to listen to it at his discretion. :getin:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Can anyone think of a good reason why the Sanders campaign sent a DMCA takedown notice to Wikipedia demanding the removal of their logos?

quote:

A lawyer representing Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders has demanded that several of the campaign's logos be removed from Wikipedia, saying that reproducing the logos violates copyright law. The Wikimedia Foundation has complied with the DMCA takedown notice and removed the notices.

It's fairly surprising that the campaign would seek to ban wide distribution of its logos, which are clearly positive advertising for the campaign. It's even more surprising that after getting a call from the Wikimedia Foundation, the Sanders campaign didn't back down or blame an overzealous volunteer attorney—the campaign confirmed it wants Wikipedia to comply with the notice and not publish its logos.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Trabisnikof posted:

Can anyone think of a good reason why the Sanders campaign sent a DMCA takedown notice to Wikipedia demanding the removal of their logos?

False flag operation by DWS?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Trabisnikof posted:

old man shouts at cloud

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Trabisnikof posted:

The lawyer is dumb?

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Trabisnikof posted:

Probably the same reason why parts of his campaign thinks it's completely legitimate and a good idea to take advantage of security holes. I suspect a lot of true believers with little sense. Probably the same lawyer who kept their lawsuit against the DNC going even after it had been essentially dealt with.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Trabisnikof posted:

His campaign staff is literally insane?

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Trabisnikof posted:

The same reason they think suing the DNC for allowing them to willingly steal someone else's data without the DNC knowing is a grand idea

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Sword of Chomsky posted:

The lawyer is dumb?

Stultus Maximus posted:

False flag operation by DWS?

That would make sense but:

quote:

the Sanders campaign didn't back down or blame an overzealous volunteer attorney—the campaign confirmed it wants Wikipedia to comply with the notice and not publish its logos

:psyduck:

(http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/01/bernie-sanders-campaign-sends-dmca-notice-to-wikipedia-over-logos/)

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

I was joking because that was the response of a number of Bernouts after the data theft.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Trust the GOP to heap their glasses full of wine like savages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Obviously, Bernie Sanders is a big supporter of private ownership of property.

• Locked thread