Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I speak to my heroes, begging them not to miss, shouting at them for stressing out their companions or praising them when they make a clutch crit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

same, except they also speak back

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

When I am on Death's Door or my Occultist heals for a 0 I hiss and suck in air. A blow on DD that doesn't kill my hero makes me go "hnng" and I physically wince.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

same, except they also speak back

who provides the best conversation

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

paradoxGentleman posted:

...shouting at them for stressing out their companions...

"Shut the gently caress up you're freaking everyone out!"

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
the tension in this game is very well curated. there's just enough time between the enemy telegraphing an attack and the blow landing for you to go "aw gently caress". the moment between "YOUR HEROS RESOLVE IS TESTED!" and the virtue/affliction sting is great.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

paranoid randroid posted:

the tension in this game is very well curated. there's just enough time between the enemy telegraphing an attack and the blow landing for you to go "aw gently caress". the moment between "YOUR HEROS RESOLVE IS TESTED!" and the virtue/affliction sting is great.

the amount of time it takes for four enemies to go in a row is just enough to induce sheer panic (in a good way)

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
I dislike the occultist more and more as a high-level healer. The variance on his healing + the bleed (when it happens) can absolutely gently caress you. There's also a ton of situations where having a guaranteed aoe party heal to drag people off death's door is way more valuable.

There's seriously very little more frustrating than having your veteran level occultist heal a dude for 0 or 1

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Operant posted:

I dislike the occultist more and more as a high-level healer. The variance on his healing + the bleed (when it happens) can absolutely gently caress you. There's also a ton of situations where having a guaranteed aoe party heal to drag people off death's door is way more valuable.

There's seriously very little more frustrating than having your veteran level occultist heal a dude for 0 or 1

but then he crit heals for 30 and confidence surges

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

paradoxGentleman posted:

who provides the best conversation
I find that the Occultist is very talkative

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
i only play when i am dead tired. i will inevitably click the wrong things several times each run, which serves to make the game much more exciting before i

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Operant posted:

Give him a purifying crystal and he will never proc a bleed again. Healing early and often helps mitigate the variance but it's also worth bringing something like a crusader or arbalest to reliably get people of deaths door.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The final boss of this game is going to be the physical manifestation of the random number generator.

EDIT: The one thing that always pisses me off a ton is when you push a melee enemy to the back row, they do a lovely attack too move forward, and that lovely attack somehow connects. Bandits are the worst for this because their "harmless poke" gives them a buff as well.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 16, 2016

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

The lovely attack always has a way worse damage range and crit and no rider (bleed/debuff/etc) on it.

Occultist is like the best healer, since he isn't stuck up about going with the abom and if you don't need to heal he is way more useful. Combos perfectly with arbalest to have a 100% heal for DD along with a great mark setup.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Operant posted:

Vestal has always been the best healer. :colbert:

Afraid of Audio posted:

but then he crit heals for 0 and confidence surges

ftfy

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The vestal is the best healer but I find she's pretty bad at everything else, which is why I prefer the occultist. Also he doesn't give me poo poo for having 3 abominations on my roster.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Man I really gotta stop bringing a party full of my favorite dudes to my first run at bosses.

:rip: my only vestal, I didn't know letting the cannon fire was basically an auto-wipe. For the first 10 weeks, stage coaches were 50% vestal and I didn't see a single occultist or grave robber, now I have both of those out the rear end, and no more vestals.

gently caress it, I'mma just run abomination groups forever then. Abom + Jester + PD + basically anything gives me one mean-rear end demon

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
the speed is good for the game but there are times i wish i could just set all animations to 2.5x speed

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Internet Kraken posted:

The vestal is the best healer but I find she's pretty bad at everything else, which is why I prefer the occultist. Also he doesn't give me poo poo for having 3 abominations on my roster.

I hope one day heroes with conflicting quirks will refuse to party with eachother. Oh you have hagiomania? I worship the devil.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Man, I can barely remember what they do until Reynauld starts drinking fetid pond water and gets horrible diseases, don't make me keep track of any more stuff.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Haven't played in a while, not sure what a bunch of changes/additions are. Managed to take my fresh off the boat level 0 team and kill the collector with it with only one casualty. The abomination is a loving beast holy poo poo :psyduck:

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

S.J. posted:

The abomination is a loving beast holy poo poo :psyduck:

yeah?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
he prefers the term human-impaired

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Operant posted:

I dislike the occultist more and more as a high-level healer.

the best thing about higher levels of Wyrd Reconstruction is that the amount of bleed inexplicably increases as you go up in level

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

the best thing about higher levels of Wyrd Reconstruction is that the amount of bleed inexplicably increases as you go up in level

as soon as I saw this I decided not to go past a certain level of upgrading this, lol.

Only barely beat the loving Fulminating Prophet against better judgment; entire party had been stressed as poo poo and Vestal was Masochistic. It was one of those runs where I had to go through 10 or more goddamn fights in hallways just to find the boss at the opposite end and Vestal kept Passing. At the end it was just MaA and Leper left, both at death's door, Blighted, and I got loving lucky with the Leper pulling out a huge crit to kill the fucker.

I'm finding that even prepping guys to Lvl 4 for those lvl 3 runs won't even guarantee better results because as the previous run showed, all it takes is one or two battles that go on for too long, inflict too much stress+bleeds/blights, and you're hosed. The difference being this time I just said gently caress it and figured I could do it anyway, since Prophet is more or less a battle against Death's Door you can win.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Found your problem.

On a normal run Lepers might aspire to mediocrity, but having to hack through two rows of pews to hit the Prophet sucks.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

My strategy for dealing with Prophets is a team focused on wrecking the backrow. Leave the pews where they stand, who cares?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Gabriel Pope posted:

Found your problem.

On a normal run Lepers might aspire to mediocrity, but having to hack through two rows of pews to hit the Prophet sucks.

Jester was the primary guy just stacking bleeds on him before I got past 2 pews but in general, Intimidate, Withstand, and Solemnity allowed me to tank through with dodges, immunes, and debuffing other fuckers in the dungeon. Granted, putting Jester/MaA/Leper in front of a Vestal makes no sense at all but putting an Acc+ trinket on a Leper seems to work out fine. IDK where the hate comes from especially when stuff like Intimidate or Purge can be used, too. (Though corpse clearing I mostly do through the Pull move with Occultists.)

Anytime I try to move my Hellions past lvl 4 they die just as they have like one point left to get to 5 so maybe they're just bad luck? Iron Swan would have helped a lot more, though.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

paradoxGentleman posted:

My strategy for dealing with Prophets is a team focused on wrecking the backrow. Leave the pews where they stand, who cares?

They're worth 1.5K a piece. Not saying you should destroy them, but there's a reason to care. Leper is definitely a bad pick when going up against the Prophet, though, like, really bad.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

1.5k is the exact same value as a pile of gold. Not something to get overly excited about honestly.

If you're hauling jesters and lepers to boss fights(especially in the ruins!) half your problems stem from party compositions. A vestal-jester-maa-leper comp is suuuuper tanky but honestly lacking in damage in a bad way. Things are feeling risky because your setup is too cautious, and the way the numbers work is that you can never be more defensive than what the enemies are going to be able to dish out. For example, swapping the leper for a hellion and the jester for a grave robber would have cleared the run much quicker and thus exposed your team to less risk.

The 'hate' on leper comes from the fact that most of the time being able to put damage on enemy slot #3 is really important. Slot #2 sometimes has decent things to attack, but often you have 2 things in the front (or 1 big guy) that can wait till later in the fight but you want the other poo poo dead *now*. Knockback attacks are ok, but inherently worse than pull attacks for 2 reasons. First, poo poo in the front tends to have better move resist, and second a pull attack puts the damage on the guy you're more worried about being dead.

Leper's defensive abilities are great, but if you're needing to rely on them there is a problem with your setup or battle plan.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees
I'm trying to think of a boss fight you might actually want to bring a Leper to. Maybe the Swine Prince since it's always front ranks and Flesh which can be easily Hew'd? I guess the Hag if you really wanna focus on getting people out of the pot. I thought the Siren because her ranks don't fill out too much but then I remembered when you get someone back they get dumped to rank 4 and at that point your leper may as well be perma-charmed for what good he does.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lyrax posted:

I'm trying to think of a boss fight you might actually want to bring a Leper to. Maybe the Swine Prince since it's always front ranks and Flesh which can be easily Hew'd? I guess the Hag if you really wanna focus on getting people out of the pot. I thought the Siren because her ranks don't fill out too much but then I remembered when you get someone back they get dumped to rank 4 and at that point your leper may as well be perma-charmed for what good he does.

He's ok on the Cannon and the Drowned Crew. Also, I found out that a virtuous character cannot be grabbed by the anchor. They straight up tell the ghosts to get hosed.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

actually the leper is powerful, and my friend

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
Is there a reason people dislike the leper? Is it just because he's so inaccurate? Don't get me wrong inaccuracy is huge but I've never had a problem running with lepers.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Kooriken posted:

Is there a reason people dislike the leper? Is it just because he's so inaccurate? Don't get me wrong inaccuracy is huge but I've never had a problem running with lepers.

Hellion and Crusader can both hit rows in the back and have stuns/bleeds to boot. When it comes to offense in the first rank, Leper has lower accuracy and trades off everything besides Chop/Hew with a variety of buffs and debuffs, when I suppose it's more logical to reserve your buffers to rank 3/4.

Don't get me wrong I use lepers all the time and have them tank poo poo constantly, but in terms of reliability and damage Hellion is def better in front due to have bleed, stun, hits the back, big damage. Crusader is beefier but hits less hard, though he has excellent camp skills and Holy Lance is great for moving teams/if you get shuffled he can get back to the front. Leper has no option like that, plus his camp skills aren't as great. The big thing Leper has is probably the biggest survivibility plus a corpse clear, damage debuff, and biggest self-heal/prot/stress heal. I've probably chosen Leper many times over simply because I had many Hellions get hosed by a bad hit that Crusader/Leper could have otherwise taken.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MinibarMatchman posted:

Hellion and Crusader can both hit rows in the back and have stuns/bleeds to boot. When it comes to offense in the first rank, Leper has lower accuracy and trades off everything besides Chop/Hew with a variety of buffs and debuffs, when I suppose it's more logical to reserve your buffers to rank 3/4.

Don't get me wrong I use lepers all the time and have them tank poo poo constantly, but in terms of reliability and damage Hellion is def better in front due to have bleed, stun, hits the back, big damage. Crusader is beefier but hits less hard, though he has excellent camp skills and Holy Lance is great for moving teams/if you get shuffled he can get back to the front. Leper has no option like that, plus his camp skills aren't as great. The big thing Leper has is probably the biggest survivibility plus a corpse clear, damage debuff, and biggest self-heal/prot/stress heal. I've probably chosen Leper many times over simply because I had many Hellions get hosed by a bad hit that Crusader/Leper could have otherwise taken.

Crusader also has a pretty good stress/death's door/Torch heal that is nice when the dots are going to end combat.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Leper is my least favorite class by a mile. He's completely useless if he gets moved into the back 2 rows and has no way to move forward. He can't attack anything that isn't right in front of him. He's not even that strong since his attacks have a good chance of completely whiffing. It seems like everything he does, the abomination can do better.

I barely ever use him so maybe there's a way to secretly make him awesome but he just seems so underwhelming.

Mushrooman
Apr 16, 2003

Disco Dancin'
I've had some success running a leper with two PD's in the back and giving one or both of them emboldening vapors. The two PDs can take care of the back rows while the leper intimidates the front and whoever I put in rank 2 does spot damage. For anything with a lot of HP I just buff the hell out of the leper and chop through it.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

The way to make Leper good was to give him +Accuracy trinkets, but the king of accuracy trinkets, Focus Ring, got trashed, so now he doesn't work at all. His camping skills are excellent and he basically never becomes Afflicted due to Withstand, but the fact is in a game where every round risks HOW QUICKLY THE TIDE TURNS you don't want to spend extra turns beating off waiting for the Leper to get back to the front row after an ambush or a push, or to use Revenge so he actually puts out decent damage, and you can't stall for time to full-heal him anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Lyrax posted:

He's also ok for the necromancer, to cleave down the adds + boss. But the crusader can also do this so...

Maybe the brigand cannon boss? Idk.