Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Bernies campaign is entirely staffed by dnc recommendations apparently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Trabisnikof posted:

Can anyone think of a good reason why the Sanders campaign sent a DMCA takedown notice to Wikipedia demanding the removal of their logos?

Who gives a poo poo, other than you, because of course you do.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

quote:

13 Hours makes the best case for Bay as a toy-box aesthete with an abstract sense of motion and color—and the best case against him as an incoherent jingoism fetishist.

From the AVClubs review of the movie

http://www.avclub.com/review/thanks-some-first-rate-action-michael-bays-13-hour-230666

They give it a C+

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Because it's funny that that the Bernie campaigns legal people are insane

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Chokes McGee posted:

Realtalk though, the slapfight over PP suing kind of misses the forest for the trees. Sure, it's free speech, but the right to free speech does not mean freedom from consequences, just protection from government punishment thereof. If they have them on record as using illegal tactics to create their media, welp, that's a crime. Sorry. Otherwise the government has no jurisdiction charging them.

Civil suit? Every man for himself. Prove damages and you're good to go.

Good point. PP isn't suing for libel or any small time crap. They are trying to force a RICO action over the theft and publication of private medical treatment information, creating a shell medical organization, gaining government IDs with false information, and gaining credit instruments with false information. These are serious crimes with hefty penalties. I don't see how punishing people who commit these acts restricts the freedom of the press.

Also:

Joementum posted:

Obviously, Bernie Sanders is a big supporter of private ownership of property.

:iceburn:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ceiling fan posted:

Good point. PP isn't suing for libel or any small time crap. They are trying to force a RICO action over the theft and publication of private medical treatment information, creating a shell medical organization, gaining government IDs with false information, and gaining credit instruments with false information. These are serious crimes with hefty penalties. I don't see how punishing people who commit these acts restricts the freedom of the press.

It totally doesn't, which is why trying to attack those shitheads' 1A rights also is stupid.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
E: not helping

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Presumably you'd say the same if any campaign had abused the law to silence a major source of free public information.

Just because Sander's campaign abused the DMCA for stupid reasons doesn't make the abuse less hostile to fair use and free speech.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Did they give a reason why they want Wikipedia to stop giving them free advertising.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

I see what you did here

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Trabisnikof posted:

Presumably you'd say the same if any campaign had abused the law to silence a major source of free public information.

Just because Sander's campaign abused the DMCA for stupid reasons doesn't make the abuse less hostile to fair use and free speech.

No I wouldn't because its a slap fight over a .png file that I can just go to their campaign website to see.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raskolnikov38 posted:

No I wouldn't because its a slap fight over a .png file that I can just go to their campaign website to see.

this makes the case more stupid not less

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
i think they rescinded the complaint so maybe stop talking about it because it's boring

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

TheQat posted:

i think they rescinded the complaint so maybe stop talking about it because it's boring

Do you have a source on that? I'd be interested if they gave a reason.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

So do you just not care about copyright abuses at all or just the ones that you don't like?

edit: this tech dirt article lays out why its super dumb for Sanders of all people:

quote:

You can read the full takedown letter here, sent by a redacted lawyer at Garvey Schubert Barer, a firm that claims to have expertise in intellectual property law. If that's true, they sure don't show it in this letter. First of all, they're sending a DMCA notice, which only applies to copyright, but posting campaign logos is hardly copyright infringement. When you're talking about logos, at best you're talking trademark, but that's not an issue here either. Whether it's trademark or copyright, Wikimedia hosting campaign logos is clearly fair use. If they're really arguing copyright, then it's an easy fair use call. If it's trademark, there's no "use in commerce" on the Wikimedia side, and no likelihood of confusion. Either one is simply stupid to argue.

Separately, these are campaign logos which are advertising for the campaign. What kind of clueless lawyer thinks the right move is to demand such things get taken down?

And, then of course, there's the inevitable backlash over this. Presidential campaigns trying to censor people -- or worse, a site like Wikipedia -- is always going to backfire. It makes the campaign look thin-skinned, foolish and short-sighted.

I'm guessing that if this makes enough news, the Sanders campaign will back down on this, and say it was an overzealous lawyer or some other such thing, but there's no reason such takedowns should ever be sent in the first place.

(https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20160114/15244433346/bernie-sanders-campaign-dmcas-wikimedia-hosting-his-logos.shtml)

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 16, 2016

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Trabisnikof posted:

Do you have a source on that? I'd be interested if they gave a reason.

So do you just not care about copyright abuses at all or just the ones that you don't like?
I think it's not unreasonable for a campaign to want full control over the content that's next to their logos (edit: This is distinct from whether they are legally obligated that control). Having an official logo on a vandalized Wikipedia page isn't a great place to be. Wikipedia appears to be claiming the other logos, including the one up for Sanders right now, are too simple to qualify for copyright protection. I'm not sure if that's true.

twodot fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 16, 2016

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

twodot posted:

I think it's not unreasonable for a campaign to want full control over the content that's next to their logos. Having an official logo on a vandalized Wikipedia page isn't a great place to be. Wikipedia appears to be claiming the other logos, including the one up for Sanders right now, are too simple to qualify for copyright protection. I'm not sure if that's true.

Logos, especially for a political campaign are clearly fair use. There's absolutely no legal ground for the Sanders campaign here. I would be amazed if Jeb!'s superPAC campaign would get such a roaring defense of what is a blatant abuse of the DMCA.

quote:

Observers have noted that it's debatable whether logos qualify for copyright protection at all. Even if they do, Wikipedia commentary about a political campaign seems like a crystal-clear example of fair use. Most of all, it's unclear why Sanders' lawyers think that removing their logos from a nonprofit site like Wikipedia would help the campaign.

(http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/01/bernie-sanders-campaign-sends-dmca-notice-to-wikipedia-over-logos/)

quote:

First of all, they're sending a DMCA notice, which only applies to copyright, but posting campaign logos is hardly copyright infringement. When you're talking about logos, at best you're talking trademark, but that's not an issue here either. Whether it's trademark or copyright, Wikimedia hosting campaign logos is clearly fair use. If they're really arguing copyright, then it's an easy fair use call. If it's trademark, there's no "use in commerce" on the Wikimedia side, and no likelihood of confusion. Either one is simply stupid to argue.
(https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20160114/15244433346/bernie-sanders-campaign-dmcas-wikimedia-hosting-his-logos.shtml)

This is dumb and at best shows Sanders has little control over his campaign. Why did they hire this law firm in the first place?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

twodot posted:

I think it's not unreasonable for a campaign to want full control over the content that's next to their logos (edit: This is distinct from whether they are legally obligated that control). Having an official logo on a vandalized Wikipedia page isn't a great place to be. Wikipedia appears to be claiming the other logos, including the one up for Sanders right now, are too simple to qualify for copyright protection. I'm not sure if that's true.

Pages so visited/important are heavily monitored / locked to prevent vandalism. There is legitimately no reason to ask for the logo to be taken down, especially since it's there in a non-biased setting (theoretically).

I'm just pinning this on a bad lawyer or whatever. It's a nonissue but it was so head-scratching it got attention.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
http://boingboing.net/2016/01/15/bernie-sanders-campaign-withdr.html

Here's one source on the complaint against wiki being withdrawn

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

TheQat posted:

http://boingboing.net/2016/01/15/bernie-sanders-campaign-withdr.html

Here's one source on the complaint against wiki being withdrawn

Finally lol.

quote:

Conclusion: The campaign has contacted the WMF and formally withdrawn the DMCA. I will be undeleting the images immediately after I save this message and notifying the 3 users who I sent notices too on their talk page. I have already notified odder and we are asking for a written version of the withdrawal (it was done initially over the phone) so that we have it formally for odder and for posting. Jalexander--WMF 23:46, 15 January 2016 (UTC)

Why are they wasting the revolution's money on these lovely IP lawyers again?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
no idea, it seems like it could only have been someone who didn't understand wikipedia which seems really silly in 2016

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down
This is a few days old but I don't remember it being posted.
Speaker Paul D. Ryan calling trickle down economics a liberal idea

https://twitter.com/SpeakerRyan/status/686926711737421825

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

TheQat posted:

no idea, it seems like it could only have been someone who didn't understand wikipedia which seems really silly in 2016

its not, half the members of congress barely know how to use their cellphones

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

climboutonalimb posted:

Conservatives really, really depend on their base having the memory of goldfish.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

It totally doesn't, which is why trying to attack those shitheads' 1A rights also is stupid.

Free speech isnt free

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Meg From Family Guy posted:

Free speech isnt free

Thank you, are troops. :911:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

DemeaninDemon posted:

Thank you, are troops. :911:

yw

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Geostomp posted:

Conservatives really, really depend on their base having the memory of goldfish.

It's a pretty safe bet!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

climboutonalimb posted:

Holy poo poo the responses to that are incredible.

quote:

@RealTrillBill @SpeakerRyan *Paul Ryan trips on his way to podium, cue cards spill everywhere*
"Ok uh the liberals... um... *shuffles cards*

@ironghazi @RealTrillBill @SpeakerRyan "We will filibuster until…[shuffles]…legalize gay sex."

@firescotch @ironghazi @RealTrillBill @SpeakerRyan "As Ronald Reagan once said, 'I am... [flips card] responsible for Benghazi.'

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

TheQat posted:

Actually, I just had an interesting thought. Maybe some enterprising dork used a script to find uses of the logo and automatically send DMCA notices. At least I hope it's something stupid like that.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

nah it was deliberate stupidity

these things happen, they withdrew it, so nbd.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

nah it was deliberate stupidity

these things happen, they withdrew it, so nbd.

The campaign initially stood by the DMCA take-down for several hours.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Mitt Romney posted:

lol

Changing my vote to Hillrod now! This injustice will not stand. I mean it literally will not stand, because it has been withdrawn.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Typical Pubbie posted:

lol

Changing my vote to Hillrod now! This injustice will not stand. I mean it literally will not stand, because it has been withdrawn.

Typical pubbie :rolleye:

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Dear Hillary liker,

Sanders is running a negative, republican style campaign! Donate to Hillary now!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Mitt Romney posted:

...You work for CNN, don't you?

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Butts posted:

Holy poo poo the responses to that are incredible.

Well, it's certainly Neoliberal idea.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The NRA is rewriting children's stories. First up: Litte Red Riding Hood Has a Gun

quote:

“What big teeth you have!” Grandma said, as his fierce jaws came near.

“The better to eat you with!” the wolf threatened.

The wolf leaned in, jaws open wide, then stopped suddenly. Those big ears heard the unmistakable sound of a shotgun’s safety being clicked off. Those big eyes looked down and saw that grandma had a scattergun aimed right at him. He realized that Grandmother hadn’t been backing away from him; she had been moving towards her shotgun to protect herself and her home.

“I don't think I’ll be eaten today,” said Grandma, “and you won't be eating anyone again.” Grandma kept her gun trained on the wolf, who was too scared to move. Before long, he heard a familiar voice call “Grandmother, I’m here!” Red peeked her head in the door. The wolf couldn’t believe his luck—he had come across two capable ladies in the same day, and they were related! Oh, how he hated when families learned how to protect themselves.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

climboutonalimb posted:

His elaboration on that stupid statement is even worse:

quote:

Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) launched a broad critique of President Obama’s economic record hours before the president delivers his final State of the Union address.

Instead of crediting Obama for any of the economic gains that have occurred in the last seven years, Ryan argued that the Federal Reserve’s policies pushed the recovery.

According to the transcript, via Nexis, a reporter asked Ryan if he believes the president “deserves any credit at all” for economic improvements. The Republican Speaker responded, “I think the Federal Reserve has done more. And by the way, I think the Federal Reserve has given us, in combination with Obama policies, more regulations, higher taxes, more uncertainty; has given us trickle-down economics.”

So, the president doesn't deserve credit for the economic growth, as the fed is responsible for that, but in addition to economic growth, the fed is also killing economic growth.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I do not personally know a Ted Cruz supporter and for that I thank the nonexistent God. I do know trump backers though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

GalacticAcid posted:

I do not personally know a Ted Cruz supporter and for that I thank the nonexistent God. I do know trump backers though.

I know several, and their existence strengthens my nonbelief.

• Locked thread