Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

AnonSpore posted:

Honestly it doesn't make sense because assuming Finn is not Force-trained, Ben can just pull the saber out of his hands with the Force and that's that. That was my TFAIIMM

Which goes back to the joke idea of having a lightsaber battle where they just use the force to turn off each others' sabers over and over :haw:

http://9gag.com/gag/a8M4O6p/why-don-t-jedis-turn-off-their-opponents-lightsabers-by-force-pressing-the-button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

AnonSpore posted:

Honestly it doesn't make sense because assuming Finn is not Force-trained, Ben can just pull the saber out of his hands with the Force and that's that. That was my TFAIIMM

I'd think Force pulling a lightsaber to yourself that you're not 100% sure how to turn off would be a bad idea.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

AnonSpore posted:

But then he doesn't get to have a cool lightsaber fight like grandpa. He also could have just walked straight up to Finn at the start and cut his head off - it wouldn't even have been out of character for him - but instead he twirled his saber around like he was looking for a fight.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

What I've always wanted to see is two sabers clashing, one guy turns his off to get behind his opponent's saber and then turns his back on and guts the fool.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

I guess Alec Guinness is dead now, but Luke would work. Or edit recordings of Guinness or have somebody do an impression)

They did that when she first touched the saber, they mixed Guiness' and McGreggor's voices to say "Rey"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

10 Beers posted:

I'd think Force pulling a lightsaber to yourself that you're not 100% sure how to turn off would be a bad idea.

Except Kylo does have that whole "freeze a laser in mid-air" trick, that'd work.

KoB posted:

They did that when she first touched the saber, they mixed Guiness' and McGreggor's voices to say "Rey"

Yeah, true. So they should have had their voices tell her to do something before she did the mind trick. Would have made way more sense.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, true. So they should have had their voices tell her to do something before she did the mind trick. Would have made way more sense.

Nah. It would have made it horrible and patronising. Far better that there be some mystery and speculation.

Battleships. Not a good film, but it was on and I'd last seen it on an airplane so figured I might as well see it in a larger format. And for all the pandering nonsense it was the ending that really irked me.

Some bit of alien spaceship blows through a farm water tower and smashes into the ground. Sequel kick stuff. So far so normal. But it's captioned as happening in Scotland without anything looking like Scotland. Not the buildings, not the land, not the vista, not the light. It looked like pure rural Americana, so much so they could have had the American Pickers roll up. And there was absolutely no need for it to be set in Scotland. Could have labeled it Washington and that would have been fine.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I can forgive everything in Battleship because the alien ships actually shoot out the red pegs from the game, and that's awesome.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

The last episode of The Blacklist had a scene in the Netherlands which, as a Dutch person, is always of interest to me. The scene is set in an old-timey farmhouse which looked fairly appropriate, albeit 100% styled like my grandparent's house, and showed a father with his two daughters. One looked appropriately modern and the other a century out of place but whatever, I don't mind. There's a news report on the TV (in Dutch) about the events of the episode and by golly, they actually got some Dutch voice acting and it looked kind of 90s but okay, at least it sounds good. Then the father starts speaking.

My god, it was horrendous. Literally an American or whatever that spent maybe a day to memorize his line without bothering to get the pronunciation anywhere near to what Dutch actually sounds like. The fact that they did get it right on the TV made it all the worse. I literally couldn't understand what he was saying the first time, it was that bad.

Any German natives here that can tell me how accurate the German throughout the show was? It sounded okay to me but I'm not German.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cavenagh posted:

Nah. It would have made it horrible and patronising. Far better that there be some mystery and speculation.

How is that patronizing? Every jedi ever has had to be trained in the ways of the force by a master pretty much. The title "padawan" is a thing. Having to have somebody give you tips to use the force isn't patronizing. Obi-wan had to train luke with the remote and guide him and later tell luke to "let go". Was that patronizing? :v:

Mystery and speculation... about how she magically realized that jedi mind trick is something you can use the force to do on a stormtrooper? I don't understand. There's no speculation. She did it. She figured it out from nowhere. There's nothing to speculate about. Its just clumsy.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Zaphod42 posted:

How is that patronizing? Every jedi ever has had to be trained in the ways of the force by a master pretty much. The title "padawan" is a thing. Having to have somebody give you tips to use the force isn't patronizing. Obi-wan had to train luke with the remote and guide him and later tell luke to "let go". Was that patronizing? :v:

Mystery and speculation... about how she magically realized that jedi mind trick is something you can use the force to do on a stormtrooper? I don't understand. There's no speculation. She did it. She figured it out from nowhere. There's nothing to speculate about. Its just clumsy.

She figured it out when Kylo tried it on her first, like basically everything else she does Force-related. She sees what he's doing and does it better.

Polaron has a new favorite as of 23:53 on Jan 15, 2016

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Kylo was reading her mind. She was commanding. That's two opposite abilities.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

They've got similar but opposite strengths.

Kylo can't grab the saber but can freeze a laser in midair. He doesn't do the mind trick, but he steals the thoughts of others.

Kylo can stop things and take thoughts. Rey can move things and give thoughts.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Zaphod42 posted:

I think they were saying that it would be patronising to the audience. "Show, don't tell" and whatnot.

Also, re: the whole "lightsabers are stupid dangerous, and you need the force just to keep from killing yourself" thing...I don't buy it. Yes, the lightsaber blade is insanely dangerous - IF you touch it. But I think it's fair to say that the average untrained person could swing and slash and fight with a sword, without accidentally hitting their body with the blade, so I would assume the same of lightsabers. Once the blade is extended and you've got a grip on the lightsaber, as long as you're not doing showboaty stuff like twirling it in your hand or passing it from hand to hand, you should be fine. And I seem to recall Finn fighting two-handed most of the time, which would decrease the likelihood of hitting yourself with the blade even more.

Now, I do happen to think that Finn is likely force-sensitive, but my point still stands in general.

Patattack has a new favorite as of 00:46 on Jan 16, 2016

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

It was pretty blatantly spelled out early in the movie that the events of the original trilogy were pretty widely talked about, even on backwater planets like Jakku. It's likely she knew what a Jedi mind trick is.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Polaron posted:

She figured it out when Kylo tried it on her first, like basically everything else she does Force-related. She sees what he's doing and does it better.

Okay then why did the storm trooper reporting "hey the ball droid is with a girl" make kylo chop a loving control panel up if he didn't know who she was and know there's a force sensitive lady out there that he absolutely doesn't want to get that map. I mean, it wasn't stated in the movie that luke is rey's dad? maybe? but everyone thinks it and there's room to believe it was extremely heavily implied, so kylo would know this? And That's why he's mad? but if that's why he pissed and flipped out hearing that a girl touched his things, why would he try using the mind tricks on her knowing she can't possibly be weak minded?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Patattack posted:

...the average untrained person could swing and slash and fight with a sword, without accidentally hitting their body with the blade...

This isn't true in the slightest. Hand a bunch of wooden training swords to some people you're trying to train and there will be a whole bunch of self-inflicted bruises crop up really quickly. Combine that with the fact that a light sabre has zero weight in the blade, making it really easy to overcook your swing, and limbs would be lost.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

My irritating moment is that BB8 is so cute that I wanted to pick him up and hug and kiss him and squeeze him and the whole movie should have been them continually hugging and kissing BB8.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Memento posted:

This isn't true in the slightest. Hand a bunch of wooden training swords to some people you're trying to train and there will be a whole bunch of self-inflicted bruises crop up really quickly. Combine that with the fact that a light sabre has zero weight in the blade, making it really easy to overcook your swing, and limbs would be lost.

Yup. I've done a bit of Kali before, and gently caress me, you'll hit yourself all over the place before you get used to swinging a fairly light wooden stick about.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
They should introduce light saber nunchaku and have someone untrained use them and it ends up like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8Tw4JhzORM

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8gfGhVL3qs

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I just watched The Martian, and the allusions to swearing while avoiding it to get a PG13 rating are cringeworthy. They get the one allowed "gently caress" in early, then keep dancing around it in awkward ways. Like adults actually saying "the f-word" or "he tells them to have sex with themselves." Just use lighter curses or don't even try if you really want to avoid that R!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Come on, Dark Matter, the woman playing the role of the character named Five is easily in her mid-twenties, quit trying to say she's a pre-teen :argh:

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

It kills me in Dark Matter because they're constantly bringing up that she's "a kid," someone suggests she shouldn't use weapons because she's too young, and they mention more than once that since she's like 10 she can fit in all the ducts and vents on the ship. Meanwhile, the person on the screen is a grown-rear end woman.

I thought she was meant to be in her late teens? And the vent thing is just because she's small? Do they actually say she's supposed to be literally a child? I must have missed that.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Inzombiac posted:

What I've always wanted to see is two sabers clashing, one guy turns his off to get behind his opponent's saber and then turns his back on and guts the fool.

Except the guy turning off his lightsaber gets gutted first because there's nothing holding back the other lightsaber.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
In Captain America: The Winter Soldier it was really distracting how they had Chris Evans constantly wearing hats to hide his receding hairline.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Memento posted:

You ever see someone play baseball for the first time? Basically guaranteed they smash themselves up since they're not used to swinging a bat. Amateur golfers are lucky to get away with no broken toes. First time I ever used a shovel I almost took my own head off.

It's basically impossible to swing something around without hitting yourself with it. It literally requires magic powers to be able to do i.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Taeke posted:

The last episode of The Blacklist had a scene in the Netherlands which, as a Dutch person, is always of interest to me. The scene is set in an old-timey farmhouse which looked fairly appropriate, albeit 100% styled like my grandparent's house, and showed a father with his two daughters. One looked appropriately modern and the other a century out of place but whatever, I don't mind. There's a news report on the TV (in Dutch) about the events of the episode and by golly, they actually got some Dutch voice acting and it looked kind of 90s but okay, at least it sounds good. Then the father starts speaking.

My god, it was horrendous. Literally an American or whatever that spent maybe a day to memorize his line without bothering to get the pronunciation anywhere near to what Dutch actually sounds like. The fact that they did get it right on the TV made it all the worse. I literally couldn't understand what he was saying the first time, it was that bad.

Any German natives here that can tell me how accurate the German throughout the show was? It sounded okay to me but I'm not German.
Haven't seen that particular show but can confirm that pretty much every time someone speaks German on screen in a US show it goes like this. I remember one of the first episodes of Fringe where they're in a German prison and it's just solid lines of garbage falling out of people's mouths. Even Monty Python did a better job of at least sounding like a language.

Kinda makes me curious about the Homeland season they're filming in Germany now. I already know they didn't have any Arabic speakers on hand, because they hired some local graffiti artists to make the sets more authentic and they sprayed "Homeland is racist" in Arabic all over the walls without anyone noticing. :D

Here's a scene from The Big Lebowski where you can hear the difference really well, both in spoken German and in their accents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6_PtNRYhy0

Accents are quite obviously different from each other, with Flea doing more of an American's impression of a German accent that stands out all the more against the real thing. As for the German itself, you can barely understand Aimee Mann, whereas Torsten Voges is obviously a native speaker (he's the one who talks most during the rest of the scene), and Stormare (who is Swedish) only has a bit of an accent.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Krinkle posted:

Okay then why did the storm trooper reporting "hey the ball droid is with a girl" make kylo chop a loving control panel up if he didn't know who she was and know there's a force sensitive lady out there that he absolutely doesn't want to get that map. I mean, it wasn't stated in the movie that luke is rey's dad? maybe? but everyone thinks it and there's room to believe it was extremely heavily implied, so kylo would know this? And That's why he's mad? but if that's why he pissed and flipped out hearing that a girl touched his things, why would he try using the mind tricks on her knowing she can't possibly be weak minded?

It's more of a "The droid escaped and is now with at least one person who might lead it to/be from the Resistance" thing, not related to who or what she is at all. Finn's presence also makes it worse because if you can't trust your Stormtroopers who can you trust?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I assumed something is up with Rey because he immediately grabs his officer and says "What girl?" Like he knew this might happen.

Movie doesn't seem to imply they know each other outside of that though.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

oldpainless posted:

My irritating moment is that BB8 is so cute that I wanted to pick him up and hug and kiss him and squeeze him and the whole movie should have been them continually hugging and kissing BB8.

100% agreed

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Robot Style posted:

They've got similar but opposite strengths.

Kylo can't grab the saber but can freeze a laser in midair. He doesn't do the mind trick, but he steals the thoughts of others.

Kylo can stop things and take thoughts. Rey can move things and give thoughts.

The light and dark sides have different tech trees, obviously.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Biplane posted:

100% agreed

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Away all Goats posted:

Except the guy turning off his lightsaber gets gutted first because there's nothing holding back the other lightsaber.

Well yeah but I assumed there would be some fancy foot work.
Or have the two go for a large sweep and the other guy fumbles because he was expecting resistance.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Dr_Amazing posted:

You ever see someone play baseball for the first time? Basically guaranteed they smash themselves up since they're not used to swinging a bat. Amateur golfers are lucky to get away with no broken toes. First time I ever used a shovel I almost took my own head off.

It's basically impossible to swing something around without hitting yourself with it. It literally requires magic powers to be able to do i.

How have you managed to survive to adulthood being so uncoordinated you think anything in this post is true?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

pr0zac posted:

How have you managed to survive to adulthood being so uncoordinated you think anything in this post is true?

How have you survived to adulthood without getting jokes?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

pr0zac posted:

Holy god.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Dr_Amazing posted:

You swing all of those things a lot differently to the way you swing a sword.

Although you're a goon, so I believe the bit about the shovel.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Cutting yourself with a sword is so difficult that grabbing the blade with your bare hands and wailing on the other due with the handle is an actual move in sword fighting.

Of course that wouldn't work with a laser sword.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
You just need the right gloves. There must be a jedi that used a light saber version of brass knuckles. That guy could do it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dr_Amazing posted:

You just need the right gloves. There must be a jedi that used a light saber version of brass knuckles. That guy could do it.

I'd pay to watch that movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Dr_Amazing posted: