Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

xlevus posted:

It's loving huge... And still has a flat tyre :psyduck:

At least they did something even Motorola refuses to do and designed a watchface that accounts for it. I don't like the flat tire at all, I hate it, but I will concede that I'd like the Moto 360 (v2 in my case) much MUCH less if the screen weren't raised rather than inset compared to the bezel. And so, if you're going to make such a concession to aesthetics with regards to that design, why in the gently caress are all of the included watchfaces designed in such a way that the flat tire cuts off elements at the bottom? I understand why third party faces don't account for it after all there are fully round screens available on other watches, but why are the included Motorola ones such that they cut the six off or have the tick marks gracelessly truncated instead of designed to incorporate the flat tire?

I wish that I had a modicum of skill at imagemaking just so I could design a watchface that looks good AND actively accounts for the shape of the screen rather than just pretending it's round and having it look like a mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

I wish that I had a modicum of skill at imagemaking just so I could design a watchface that looks good AND actively accounts for the shape of the screen rather than just pretending it's round and having it look like a mistake.
I agree with all of this post. The best one I've found is Minimal & Elegant so I generally run with that. I also sometimes use Pujie Black set up such that there are no elements cut off, if I want my watch to look a little more traditional for some occasion.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
Agreedo, LastInLine. That's why on my 360 v1 the only original watchface I ever use is the Digital face (although even then when the seconds hand is at the bottom it still gets cut off :( but there's almost always a notification there anyway so I can live with that)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

I agree with all of this post. The best one I've found is Minimal & Elegant so I generally run with that. I also sometimes use Pujie Black set up such that there are no elements cut off, if I want my watch to look a little more traditional for some occasion.

I'd looked at both of these and I really like Minimal & Elegant's style but I don't like using digital watches and I bought and use Pujie Black on your recommendation but the one thing I disliked* was the way notifications in Ambient mode are transparent so I went back to the Motorola choose your own background one. I figured out how to make a gradient so it's light grey on top and fades to black at the bottom (just like the dark Moto Elegant face) which looks exactly how I wanted it to look. Truth be told I'd rather have a white face but I can't make pictures good enough to make what I'm envisioning.

*The other thing was the watch hands were just... bad.

Magog posted:

Agreedo, LastInLine. That's why on my 360 v1 the only original watchface I ever use is the Digital face (although even then when the seconds hand is at the bottom it still gets cut off :( but there's almost always a notification there anyway so I can live with that)

Using the Pujie Black watchface Tunga recommended the nice thing was you can just make the radius of elements (hands, ticks, numbers) that you don't want cut off to .82 and they're positioned just above the flat tire. There's no way to specify that you just want that at the bottom, however (for things like, say, quarter ticks. Five minute ticks are not cut off anyway.)

ExplodingChef
May 25, 2005

Deathscorts are the true American heroes.
I can't seem to find reliable information via google, so I'll ask here -- does the Gear S2 have a sleep tracking app? Something a little more robust than the s-health phone app? Debating picking one up and that might sway my decision one way or another.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

ExplodingChef posted:

I can't seem to find reliable information via google, so I'll ask here -- does the Gear S2 have a sleep tracking app? Something a little more robust than the s-health phone app? Debating picking one up and that might sway my decision one way or another.

Unfortunately this may not be the right place to ask either, as the Gear S2 is not an Android Wear device. Someone in the not Android and not Apple wearables thread probably has one, though.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
My wife is looking for a smartwatch in the fitbit form-factor:

The only smartwatch I've seen like that is the Gear Fit which requires a Samsung phone and is allegedly kind of poo poo. Anything running android wear in that style?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

uPen posted:

The only smartwatch I've seen like that is the Gear Fit which requires a Samsung phone and is allegedly kind of poo poo. Anything running android wear in that style?

I can't think of anything other than the Microsoft Band. Kinda pricey but I've heard it's a really solid device, hardware and software, but the screen will be vertical and not horizontal. Definitely works with Android.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

uPen posted:

There's the Garmin vivosmart HR which is a vaguely similar form factor and can connect to an Android phone, but it doesn't run Wear. Supports showing phone notifications and controlling your music player but I'm not sure how good it actually is at those tasks - it's meant more as a fitness tracker than a smartwatch.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Do we know if the 360 Sport has the same awful-looking aliased ambient mode as the 360 v2? I know the screen tech is slightly different but not sure if that's just a backlight change or what. This is the reason I didn't buy a 360 v2 so I'm interested in the Sport if it resolves that issue.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
I've currently got a LG G watch, and the biggest problem I have with it is that it has become VERY fiddly to get it charging. I usually have to pick it up and put it down 3 or 4 times before it decides to charge. And forget about actually connecting ADB except through bluetooth. I think this is all because a) I wear it while exercising b) physical pins can corrode/wear.

So, I'm currently looking for a round watch for development and a daily wear upgrade.
  • The Moto 360 has QI charging (yay), but a flat tire.
  • The Moto 360 Sport has a transflective display (yay) and qi charging (yay) and GPS (meh), but a flat tire and a terrible unchange-able strap.
  • The Hwawei watch has a truly round screen (yay), a speaker (yay), but pogo-pin charging.
  • The Fossil Q Founder has an unproven intel atom chip, but is otherwise pretty much a Moto 360 without the pulse sensor.
  • The LG Urbane is gigantic and would look ridiculous on me

Can anyone with the Hwawei tell me whether it is a bitch to charge/connect?
Can anyone with the Founder tell me whether the Intel chip is better or worse than the standard Qualcomm SOC?

Also, for the watches with QI charging, can I use QI pads I've already got? I know the Motos are probably oddly enough shaped they won't lie flat, but it looks like the Founder might.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

5TonsOfFlax posted:

Can anyone with the Hwawei tell me whether it is a bitch to charge/connect?

I don't think it's a bitch, but admittedly it's pretty fiddly. It usually takes me up to a couple tries to connect it properly. After wearing it for a couple months, I would only complain about the vibration motor being pretty weak.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
For what it's worth, my G Watch is a little fiddly, and the pins are clean and look great. In my experience, when I put it on there, sometimes the vibration knocks it off the pins, and then it'll connect again and vibrate, and repeat indefinitely. If I take it off and align it carefully the next time, it works just fine.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

5TonsOfFlax posted:

Also, for the watches with QI charging, can I use QI pads I've already got? I know the Motos are probably oddly enough shaped they won't lie flat, but it looks like the Founder might.

For the second-gen 360 you can't use a Tylt Vu as the strap mounts bend in enough that it won't lie flat on the surface. That said, the included charger is so great because it holds the watch upright so it can be used as a night clock. I just plop it down and that's it, no fidgeting at all.

I'll have to admit that I love my 360 so much more than I thought I would. I think the raised glass looks much better than the dished bezel on every other round watch and it doesn't feel oversized or out of place at all on my normal (not fat, not muscular) wrists (this is the 46mm version).

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I'm probably jumping on the third-gen Moto 360 if it isn't purged by the Lenovo overlords. My first-gen has excellent battery life and no newer watch has justified its price with differentiating looks/features.

Although at one point I was so close to jumping to the Huawei watch until I realized that an ambient light sensor is the tits.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

I'll have to admit that I love my 360 so much more than I thought I would. I think the raised glass looks much better than the dished bezel on every other round watch and it doesn't feel oversized or out of place at all on my normal (not fat, not muscular) wrists (this is the 46mm version).

This is exactly my feelings about the 360 1 and 2. I like that its different looking from most watches while still looking good.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I've just ordered a 360-2. I've been using my 1st gen 360 for some time now and am pretty happy with it except for battery life.
And as soon as it switches to battery saver mode its seemingly random if it reacts to touch or movement at all. So i think ill be pretty happy with the better battery life on the 360-2.
Also, my wife hates the all black 360 i got now so i can switch to a silver/brown leather one.
Everybody wins!

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

G-Prime posted:

For what it's worth, my G Watch is a little fiddly, and the pins are clean and look great. In my experience, when I put it on there, sometimes the vibration knocks it off the pins, and then it'll connect again and vibrate, and repeat indefinitely. If I take it off and align it carefully the next time, it works just fine.

Mine does the exact same thing sometimes. It somehow manages to charge overnight, but has been connecting and disconnecting repeatedly when I take it off the charger some mornings. Most times this doesn't happen, mind you. But annoying when it does, especially if you hear it doing it and have to get up to re-seat it on its charger.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
For a moment there i was really pissed of.

Motorola just dropped the price for the 360 42mm 50 and for the 46mm 100 and i just ordered the loving thing.
But then i talked with Motorola and they ensured me that they will refund me the difference as soon as i get the watch.
I'm calm now.

Edit: Oh yeah sorry, price drop only applicable in germany.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Just got my 360 in the mail today. I'm liking so far, but a few questions. Is there a way to stop the "Ok, Google" message from appearing every time I look at the watch? What is a good source of different bands? I'm in between two holes on the leather band and it's getting annoying.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

calandryll posted:

Just got my 360 in the mail today. I'm liking so far, but a few questions. Is there a way to stop the "Ok, Google" message from appearing every time I look at the watch? What is a good source of different bands? I'm in between two holes on the leather band and it's getting annoying.

Say OK google once or twice, it's the last step of the tutorial.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Is there any talk of a new generation of watches? My wife is suddenly interested in one but she wants one exactly like mine (huatch steel link) and the Cdn exchange rate makes importing them tough now. We only get steel mesh and black domestically.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Any word on the much ballyhooed Huawei update to Marshmallow? Some dude on reddit posted a video of the speaker working a while back and it's been silent ever since.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
So, first impression on the 2015 Moto 360 after owning the first gen 360.

Comes with everything activated which is nice cause i always forget to activate ambient display and get mad when my watch doesnt react the way i expect, the leather is softer which is nice, the button is way clickier than the old one which was terible and mushy.
The new lugs are nice too, it just follows the curve of the arm better than the old one which always seemed to stick out a lot.
Cant say much about battery life or performance yet.
It seems to be what the first one should have been all along.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Anyone with a zenwatch 2 that can comment on the latest update with voice calling?

Edit: just realized it isn't out yet. Oops.

Munkaboo fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 7, 2016

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Phandroid published "19 tips for every Moto 360 Sport user" but actually the majority of these apply to every Android Wear watch. Some good pointers in here that might not be immediately obvious to everyone.

http://phandroid.com/2016/02/09/moto-360-sport-tips-and-tricks

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Did not know about the screen lock on the watch! Setting that now.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
My major gripe about my gen1 360 is that I can't just get rid of a notification on my watch yet keep it on my phone - something I can easily do with my pebble.

Anrdoid wear seems to have a NOW OR NEVER mentality. Or am I doing it wrong? I know I can swipe cards down to hide them, but this gets really cluttered and I often miss more important notifications because of it.

That, and of course it perpetually disconnects from my phone.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

AnimalChin posted:

My major gripe about my gen1 360 is that I can't just get rid of a notification on my watch yet keep it on my phone - something I can easily do with my pebble.

Anrdoid wear seems to have a NOW OR NEVER mentality. Or am I doing it wrong? I know I can swipe cards down to hide them, but this gets really cluttered and I often miss more important notifications because of it.

That, and of course it perpetually disconnects from my phone.

People who leave notifications sitting in the tray are monsters.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
Hey guys, after 15 months the cracks on the back of my Moto 360 finally developed into separate pieces on one side trying to break off. sadface

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Magog posted:

Hey guys, after 15 months the cracks on the back of my Moto 360 finally developed into separate pieces on one side trying to break off. sadface

Yikes, pieces can actually detach? I always thought the cracks were superficial.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

Logikv9 posted:

Yikes, pieces can actually detach? I always thought the cracks were superficial.

So did I :(

Edit:

Magog fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 11, 2016

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Today Qualcomm announced a new chip specifically designed for wearables, the Qualcomm Snapdragon Wear 2100.

http://phandroid.com/2016/02/11/qualcomm-wear-2100-chipset/

The Snapdragon 2100 processor is 30 percent smaller, uses 25 percent less power, and is available in two versions (with and without LTE support). Being smaller and less power-hungry should allow Wear devices which are less chunky.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Rastor posted:

Being smaller and less power-hungry should allow Wear devices which are less chunky.

In reality, same size with room for larger batteries.

I mean, for stuff like watches, I don't think they are too big anymore anyways.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

LastInLine posted:

People who leave notifications sitting in the tray are monsters.

But this is exactly what I'm trying to avoid? :confused:

Example:

- Email notifications - I want to remove these from my watch and my notifications bar on my phone. One swipe on the watch takes care of this. Easy.
- Twitter notifications - Also remove. Again swipe away on the watch.
- Facebook - Also remove.
- Timehop reminder to view today's timehop - I want to get rid of this on my watch, but save this on my phone to view later. I have no option to do this.
- AppSales - Again, I want to remove it from my watch but leave it on my phone so I can see it later.
- Words With Friends - Same.

One might say "just disable the notifications from showing up on your watch and they'll still be on your phone" but then I won't get the real time alert - useful for say AppSales.

Pebble makes this really, really easy. I have a few options with notifications there, one of which is just to hit the back button and it clears the notification on my watch but leaves it on the phone. This is brilliant. Another is to select the "dismiss" option which removes the notification from both devices. Basically my Pebble says "Here's a thing! If it's important just hit back, if not hit dismiss." Moto360 says "Here's a thing take it or leave it RIGHT NOW."

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Well I was going to buy a Huawei and then decided to wait after the MWC where new watches will probably be announced and then I saw this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331741836148?rmvSB=true

LG Urbane new with warranty for $180 shipped no tax.

Yeah, it's older but the specs are current and it has WiFi. Smaller display than the Huawei, lower resolution but also almost $200 cheaper. I can live with this until AT&T ships another cellular Wear watch which is probably at least 4 months of at a bare minimum.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

bull3964 posted:

In reality, same size with room for larger batteries.

I mean, for stuff like watches, I don't think they are too big anymore anyways.

I think they're a pretty good size right now. The OG 360 looks just fine on my wrist, though I'm admittedly larger than most. But even so, it's not that much larger than many of the regular watches I've had, and not much thicker than any high-end automatic that people are fawning all over these days.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
My 2015 Moto 360 just got bumped to 6.0.1. Is there anything new and exciting about marshmallow? I mean, I can now disconnect my watch from a phone without wiping it and the permissions handling is more detailed but that seems so be pretty much it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Shai-Hulud posted:

My 2015 Moto 360 just got bumped to 6.0.1. Is there anything new and exciting about marshmallow? I mean, I can now disconnect my watch from a phone without wiping it and the permissions handling is more detailed but that seems so be pretty much it.

Doze mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shai-Hulud posted:

There are new gestures for "select" and "back" so you can look even more ridiculous in public.

Still waiting for it to show up on my OG 360 though the battery life is really bad on it now, I can't use ambient at all and today it died after six hours for some reason. Can't wait for the 360 v3 or whatever else shows up this year.