Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The DLC is gone? Is that for all 360 games or just Forza? Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cojawfee posted:

The DLC is gone? Is that for all 360 games or just Forza? Why?

Forza games have their DLC delisted after 4 years; this has been the case since 2. My assumption is that it's due to licenses expiring.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Cubey posted:

Forza games have their DLC delisted after 4 years; this has been the case since 2. My assumption is that it's due to licenses expiring.

That just seems incredibly lovely but I guess thats MS, i'm sure they have the server space to keep stuff like that indefinitely. Is it just forza games it happens to?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I don't think this is a case of Microsoft being lovely. Licensing is a horrible, convoluted mess, as has been documented time and again in gaming.

PhancyPants
Nov 15, 2003

Hotdog Suit Up!

I'm pretty sure it's because car companies are insane when it comes to licensing. We're talking about companies that make more money off of their hats and colognes than they do actually selling cars.

Since the ol' GTCC's come up, I figured I'd share my car this week. It was mandatory that I take the Jag, but if you've raced with me you'd know it's like oxygen being mandatory for lungs.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

For anyone trying to get the unicorn car with the league this week, should be pretty easy if you just focus on not wrecking and not actually worry about winning or getting a good position. Nobody is capable of driving these cars... if you know how to avoid the pubbies when they start losing control you will easily get top 5 pretty much every race... just by not loving up.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
That is hot. Like, cup me, that's how hot I am looking at that.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
Are they giving the 312's out at the end of each week, or at the end of the month?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

General Probe posted:

Are they giving the 312's out at the end of each week, or at the end of the month?

At the end of each week, I got mine, it's a pretty fun little car.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

In Forza 4, that thing was a leaderboard car. I hope it's one in this game as well to maximize the rage.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Simoniz? Nah. Super Rain X PLUS!

For the January (R-Class) League.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

So in addition to Yas Marina being just an utterly miserable slog to drive on, I found out today doing league races that it's also ridiculously easy to cut corners and gain massive advantages on that shithole. I think this place might actually suck even harder than Bugatti Circuit and Motegi.

On the other hand, Prague is really growing on me. That fast uphill turn is great and flying around fools on the outside of that corner is as thrilling as it is pants-making GBS threads.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jan 17, 2016

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Cubey posted:

So in addition to Yas Marina being just an utterly miserable slog to drive on, I found out today doing league races that it's also ridiculously easy to cut corners and gain massive advantages on that shithole. I think this place might actually suck even harder than Bugatti Circuit and Motegi.

On the other hand, Prague is really growing on me. That fast uphill turn is great and flying around fools on the outside of that corner is as thrilling as it is pants-making GBS threads.

Nothing beats pants making GBS threads, except being yelled at by some one for following the track and t-boning someone who cuts the track.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

geeves posted:

Nothing beats pants making GBS threads, except being yelled at by some one for following the track and t-boning someone who cuts the track.

This happened to me tonight. I could hear the guy but not respond, but he was talking poo poo about wrecking me because I bumped him earlier. Never mind the fact he cut through the grass and cut me off.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

geeves posted:

The real treat is when you are following the track and then someone behind you cuts and then flies back onto the track into you and takes you out. It's real cool :thumbsup:

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
And scrubs vote for Yas Marina all the time. Why won't they learn? It's a bad track you idiots!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

L_Harrison posted:

And scrubs vote for Yas Marina all the time. Why won't they learn? It's a bad track you idiots!
F1 runs the last race of the season there, so it must be a good track! :downs:

Anyhow, I finally got around to buying FM6. Probably won't be able to participate in multiplayer because of EU time zones and also because I tend to drive like Pastor Maldonado (not on purpose, I'm just bad), but my info is on the spreadsheet if you want my drivatar to show up in your races and ram you off the road.

I do wish I had a wheel that works on Xbox, but right now I'm too broke to even consider buying another goddamn racing wheel. :reject:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yas Marina is far from the worst track in that region but that's the definition of damning with faint praise. I don't mind it but running the full layout in slower cars is soul destroying.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yas Marina is great in an F1 car. And rubbish in anything else.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I wouldn't go that far, it's acceptable in an F1 car.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I don't remember if I've driven Yas Marina in an F1 car in Forza, but I did in one of the Codemasters F1 games and it was still absolute rubbish. To be fair, that description also fits the F1 games in general, but I actually enjoyed driving the likes of Bahrain, Singapore and even Korea whereas Abu Dhabi was just awful.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
What do you all think of Circuit of The Americas? I'm pretty sure I hate it. Any chance it might grow on me?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
COTA has some cool high speed bits. The technical sections are awful.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Dr. Faustus posted:

What do you all think of Circuit of The Americas? I'm pretty sure I hate it. Any chance it might grow on me?

COTA is the best new F1 track since Catalunya. Which is to say it's pretty bad but has a few decent sections, though the fact that the few decent sections are just turns they straight-up lifted from other courses says a whole lot about modern track design.

Highly technical courses are awful.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
The last section of the track (after the long straight) is just flat-out miserable. Everything before that is fine.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Cubey posted:

Highly technical courses are awful.
I agree, to an extent. Certainly with CoTA. To me, one lap is interminable. Unfortunately it shows up in the league rotation a lot.

Quick poll for all. Rank from Least Awful to Most Awful:
Yaz Marina, CoTA, Hockenheim (things being equal).

I vote: Hockenheim > Yaz > CoTA

L_Harrison posted:

The last section of the track (after the long straight) is just flat-out miserable. Everything before that is fine.
I feel exactly the same way. It feels unnecessary and tacked-on and needlessly, for lack of a better term, technical.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 18, 2016

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

L_Harrison posted:

Turn 1 is a massive missed opportunity. You've got this huge hill you climb up, and what do they do? Stick a loving 20 MPH hairpin on it. Look at how Watkins Glen and Spa and Bathurst and Seca use hills to make fuckin' awesome sections of their tracks, and then look at what COTA does with one of the steepest hills in racing. Pathetic.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Quick poll for all. Rank from Least Awful to Most Awful:
Yaz Marina, CoTA, Hockenheim (things being equal).

Brands Hatch

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Brands Hatch loving rocks, it's one of the main reasons I bought an Xbox One and this game. You are objectively wrong if you dislike Brands Hatch.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

Cubey posted:

Brands Hatch loving rocks, it's one of the main reasons I bought an Xbox One and this game. You are objectively wrong if you dislike Brands Hatch.

I forgot that you only hot lap and haven't had to drive that track with other players on the field. Correction: Brands Hatch is a good hotlapping track. It is bad if you race against others, they will mostly just hit you.

Also, Yas Marina is the loving bomb diggety. Some of the most fun I've had, and one of the best tracks for muscle cars.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Nobody can do Paddock Hill at Brands online. Nobody. Granted in most racing games the AI struggles with it 90% of the time.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I'm really against pretty much all of the GP tracks in FM6. 95% of the cars available to drive can't make use of aero enough to do well on them. Tilkedromes are horrible.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Endbuster posted:

I forgot that you only hot lap and haven't had to drive that track with other players on the field. Correction: Brands Hatch is a good hotlapping track. It is bad if you race against others, they will mostly just hit you.

As this conversation started with me talking about doing league hoppers, nah, I don't just hotlap. Players mostly just hit you on like every track, it's certainly not limited to just Brands Hatch or just to corner cutters on Yas Marina. In fact the online community in Forza 6 is by far the worst in any Forza I have ever played because every race on every track is just a complete demolition derby from turn 1 on. The 'cleanest' race I had online thus far was on Nordschleife in the rain and that was because everyone was too busy hitting puddles and spinning to ever be close enough to hit anyone else.

robotsinmyhead posted:

I'm really against pretty much all of the GP tracks in FM6. 95% of the cars available to drive can't make use of aero enough to do well on them. Tilkedromes are horrible.

Even with aero I don't find them fun. It's a lot more fun to have aero allow you to blast through a fast sweeper at crazy speeds than to take a normally 30MPH corner at 50MPH because of your giant wings.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

Oh dont get me wrong. Yas is a blast with the goon bros. Its poo poo online cause I have to cut the gently caress out of it to keep pace with all the other rumble cutting fuckwits.

And the aero on GP tracks is fun because even if you are only taking a 20-30mph corner at double speed, at least you can do it full powah.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
R.I.P. Jeremy Clarkson.

(not literally)

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

Cubey posted:

Even with aero I don't find them fun. It's a lot more fun to have aero allow you to blast through a fast sweeper at crazy speeds than to take a normally 30MPH corner at 50MPH because of your giant wings.

I think this is why I tend to really like the Turn10 tracks like Prague, Maple Valley, etc - Instead of dumb hyper-technical eleventy hairpin monstrosities that are typical of newer GP tracks (I have a bug up my rear end about Tilke, specifically), they give you these fun undulating scenic tracks with great mixes of turns, and typically, lots of flat-out sweepers and combo turns that feel really great when you get them right.

Modern GP tracks tend to focus way more on getting brake points correct and that's pretty much it. Contrast that with an older GP track like Catalunya that mixes it up pretty well and is overall a pretty cool track.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I'd be extremely interested in reading posts by folks who know this stuff about this Tilke guy and the history before and after him. I could google it, but I'd rather have the racing goons' take on the whole thing.
You all know I love vidya game racing but I don't really know anything about real-world racing. Stuff like Group B, DTM, safety, etc. It's really interesting but I kinda could use a primer. Anyone care to type up some words?

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
Hermann Tilke, designer of Sochi, Yas Marina, CotA, Bahrain, and a lot of others.

He gets a lot of poo poo for a a copy/paste aesthetic to his tracks, in that many of them look really similar.

His newer tracks are also simultaneously praised for being safer due to large run-off areas, but lacking any real "penalty" for going off track (FIA rules have remedied this a bit, but it's way more arbitrary)

I personally find his tracks to be difficult for the wrong reasons - mostly just straights with varying degree turns followed by another straight, maybe a constant radius turn here or there. I'm sure that sounds reductive because that's how "all tracks" are in a really general way, but in my opinion, good tracks should "flow" with the terrain and be exciting. Technical parts should be a result of track planning and natural features rather than imposed by the designer.

They're not all bad. Turkey Istanbul Park was a pretty cool track, but for the most part, his tracks are going more and more the way of all looking like Yas Marina.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

robotsinmyhead posted:

Hermann Tilke, designer of Sochi, Yas Marina, CotA, Bahrain, and a lot of others.

He gets a lot of poo poo for a a copy/paste aesthetic to his tracks, in that many of them look really similar.

His newer tracks are also simultaneously praised for being safer due to large run-off areas, but lacking any real "penalty" for going off track (FIA rules have remedied this a bit, but it's way more arbitrary)

I personally find his tracks to be difficult for the wrong reasons - mostly just straights with varying degree turns followed by another straight, maybe a constant radius turn here or there. I'm sure that sounds reductive because that's how "all tracks" are in a really general way, but in my opinion, good tracks should "flow" with the terrain and be exciting. Technical parts should be a result of track planning and natural features rather than imposed by the designer.

They're not all bad. Turkey Istanbul Park was a pretty cool track, but for the most part, his tracks are going more and more the way of all looking like Yas Marina.

So basically if I throw some cooked spaghetti noodles on a paper and trace it, I can design tracks. Noice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The only positive is that we've at least been spared Tilke's two worst tracks - Yeongam and Valencia. They are really, truly abysmal to drive in every way, but thankfully they're almost certainly never going to be in Forza.

• Locked thread