Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Koesj posted:

Hurf durf I model assets in a game and don't even know how to mess around with pivot points and non-rectangular buildings :downs:

Well, it's been rectified now, though I have neither the time nor the inspiration to make something nicer than a beige box. Also, the sequel desperately needs a ton of procedural content since bespoke buildings are hella oneshot and not worth the effort:

(yes it's a lovely jpeg but it'd have been >1mb at decent quality)

that is rad as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Came back to this after quite a hiatus. How the hell is this overheating my video card worse than Fallout 4? :psyduck:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Came back to this after quite a hiatus. How the hell is this overheating my video card worse than Fallout 4? :psyduck:

It has a lot more going on on-screen with far fewer tricks being used than Fallout 4.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Kraven Moorhed posted:

The graphics are not the most efficient use of resources in the world but that's still a very good question. This game is slightly unique in that it will peg every processor core that you give it, so its not unheard of to cause a cascading electronics shitstorm from using more electricity for the processor than usual.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's a lot of detail on screen with all the cims walking around. Sure, each individual model is super low detail, but there can be hundreds or even thousands of them on screen at once. I'm actually amazed it runs as well as it does.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
TED posted a video called "What Happens When a City Runs Out of Room for Its Dead" and I thought of Cities Skylines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIkvIKeRNoY

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ashes don't need storage space. Just download that big pyramid crematorium with 25 hearses.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
One of you glorious goon modders needs to make a Landmark called Recycling Tanks that take in 100% of a city's dead and provides revenue

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

One of you glorious goon modders needs to make a Landmark called Recycling Tanks that take in 100% of a city's dead and provides revenue commercial goods

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

One of you glorious goon modders needs to make a Landmark called Recycling Tanks that take in 100% of a city's dead and provides revenue

"It is every citizen's final duty to go into the Tanks and to become one with all the people."
- Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Should be called Soylent tanks. :v:

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

kefkafloyd posted:

Should be called Soylent tanks. :v:

I prefer Recycling Tanks; you build it thinking it's innocuous, but then you get hit with this quote:

DrSunshine posted:

"It is every citizen's final duty to go into the Tanks and to become one with all the people."
- Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang

:gonk: city

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Hubis posted:

that is rad as hell

I agree! And never mind me saying they're not worth the effort, it looks like it's entirely possible to churn out some really basic blocks in 3ds Max!

It's been quite the useful thing wrt Max' render to texture function as well, since I still need to fix that godawful LOD on 1k de la Gauchetière.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

DrSunshine posted:

- Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang

Now I'm despairing that I won't ever get an Alpha Centauri themed expansion to this game. Wanna be Lady Deirdre and expand my city limits by sending mindworms to the outlaying villages.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How do those angle buildings work? They're just on small lots and overhang?

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"
Been making another city, having fun with this one:

the start of an urban metropolis, a bit of a mess right now but at least the traffic is working

The older heart to the city. Much more suburban now.

A small sleepy town on the outskirts of the city, a few offices provide work.

and a moderately large logging encampment for providing timber to the nearby area

An oilfield providing fuel for the city's power.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

How do those angle buildings work? They're just on small lots and overhang?

Yeah you put the 'pivot point' 4/8/12/16m from one of the building's corners and just make it a 1/2/3/4 cell lot.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So, i'm hitting a wall. When i hit the point where I can build offices or other businesses that needs educated workers, my industrial section pretty much closes shop because anyone who can get a better job does so. Is there a way to attract uneducated workers to the city or make working at the plants seem better than an office?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

BigRed0427 posted:

So, i'm hitting a wall. When i hit the point where I can build offices or other businesses that needs educated workers, my industrial section pretty much closes shop because anyone who can get a better job does so. Is there a way to attract uneducated workers to the city or make working at the plants seem better than an office?

You just need more population in general.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
In particular, you need more population than the schools you have can handle.

Or build fewer offices.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Educated people in uneducated jobs drives industrial demand but is otherwise harmless. Once you unlock offices, you can't use the industrial demand to let you know what you actually need. Instead, base it on unemployment stats.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, ignore demand bars all together. Better yet get a demand mod that lets you adjust them or lock them to what ever you want. All that matters is your unemployment. Keep it around 10% or so and you won't have problems. Also gently caress stupid factories abandoning because they can't find staff at 10% unemployment, it's not your fault the game is really really slow and weird about assigning employees. They'll re-grow. And never ever listen to commercial demand, it's a terrible lie that will choke your city with trucks and employment complaints.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
The Dropouts mod might also help, I've found industrial areas usually don't run into the doldrums as much as they used to.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

…also, setting “school's out” as a city-wide policy works reasonably well too. It sounds scarier than it is in terms of not creating enough highly educated workers, but in practice, they'll all get educated sooner or later anyway.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Do parks still suck up C jobs? I always have lots of parks in my cities and usually have almost zero commercial.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Eric the Mauve posted:

Do parks still suck up C jobs? I always have lots of parks in my cities and usually have almost zero commercial.

You're doing it right. Commercial is a pox.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Eric the Mauve posted:

I think they fixed that.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Moridin920 posted:

I think they fixed that.
They jiggered a coefficient or something, you can still make dent in C demand by carpeting with parks. Just not kill it completely in most cases like the old days.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's hilarious how gigantic the High Interest Tower is compared to every other building. I put it on the waterfront near the river and blocked the view of like two thousand rich people. It caused my high density commercial zones to turn into low-density huge towers though, so that's weird? But also cool, because I wanted that.

The weird thing now though is I have huge demand for industry/offices, but zero for residential and commercial, but they still get filled up anyway.

Also what do I do about landfills? They have to be near residential zones because the trucks only go so far out of the city, but since it's high rises and towers it looks ugly, and causes a load of sickness, that even even two overlapping hospitals isn't helping. I'll send pictures of what I have later, I'm pretty proud of what I have so far! It's pretty griddy, but curves along and gets broken up. Traffic sucks but it mostly moves; I need to revamp most of the streets, get buses in place, and fix the taxi stands now that I understand how they actually work. About 33,000 cims there at the moment (I know it's an abstraction but lol that there's only 30,000 people in a city that size).

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There's a few counterintuitive things going on with service buildings and I think landfills have all those same quirks. The first is that coverage area is based on road speed degrading service quality, so you can get better coverage with faster roads like highways or 6 lanes. But the other hand of that quirk is that the coverage area is only used for satisfaction. Actual efficacy is based on how fast the garbage trucks can get out there and grab garbage. So with lovely traffic, they will visit significantly less houses. And perfect traffic means they can end up with the time and inclination to travel way far out from their indicated coverage area.

In general stick garbage facilities on the highway leading into your city. You have a highway diving into the city center, right?

Alternately, they can find a home in an industrial district, which should be well serviced with highways or other fast road type stuff anyway for the industry, but you can cause some serious jams with garbage truck trains blocking stuff this way compared to them being in the relative sticks off a dedicated highway exit.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

zedprime posted:

There's a few counterintuitive things going on with service buildings and I think landfills have all those same quirks. The first is that coverage area is based on road speed degrading service quality, so you can get better coverage with faster roads like highways or 6 lanes. But the other hand of that quirk is that the coverage area is only used for satisfaction. Actual efficacy is based on how fast the garbage trucks can get out there and grab garbage. So with lovely traffic, they will visit significantly less houses. And perfect traffic means they can end up with the time and inclination to travel way far out from their indicated coverage area.

In general stick garbage facilities on the highway leading into your city. You have a highway diving into the city center, right?

Yeah, though it all will need an overhaul (I dreaded this day) and another one crossing along. So just move the fills down near the highway (they empty fast enough thankfully), make an offramp to get to them, then make sure they can actually get back to it? Thanks, I had thought they were like the other services where they HAD to be nearby for the level system.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It still counts for satisfaction, but you shouldn't be mortified if a little corner isn't covered.

But garbage service areas are loving huge, and if they are on a highway they should have good interconnection for covering huge swathes of city. Check to make sure the funding is set to normal and make sure your city isn't entirely made up of 2 lanes (who's speed kills service coverage dead)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

zedprime posted:

It still counts for satisfaction, but you shouldn't be mortified if a little corner isn't covered.

But garbage service areas are loving huge, and if they are on a highway they should have good interconnection for covering huge swathes of city. Check to make sure the funding is set to normal and make sure your city isn't entirely made up of 2 lanes (who's speed kills service coverage dead)

Thanks! I've upgraded the main arteries to four or six lane, though I'm hitting the point with the office districts where four lane will be needed. I guess that's the next big challenge!

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

According to Reddit an announcement from the developers is coming tomorrow, presumably on the next DLC.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
I keep seeing these cities that appear to be planned out. Do you actually plan them, or is it judicious use of a bulldozer after the fact to add train lines and the works?

I'm saying that my cities look like Beijing. Well, the bad parts of Beijing.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

WMain00 posted:

According to Reddit an announcement from the developers is coming tomorrow, presumably on the next DLC.

Yeah you could see that coming from a mile away.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Here's an album of screenshots of my city: http://imgur.com/a/HNn50

Traffic is a hellscape and I guess there's some dead people in there lmao

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Hav posted:

I keep seeing these cities that appear to be planned out. Do you actually plan them, or is it judicious use of a bulldozer after the fact to add train lines and the works?

I'm saying that my cities look like Beijing. Well, the bad parts of Beijing.

I have a rougu plan of where I want things on a map. I do the districts when I get to them and tend to plan an entire district out at once, then go in later for detailing. Fairly similar to how fluxtrance plans things, you should definitely watch his rhinestone island lets play on YouTube.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I have a vague idea of what I want (waterfront highrises and offices, logging industry in the forest) then go from there. For me the fun is seeing what impact your random stuff has. Like that interest tower! Didn't see the hill hotels popping up from it. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

WMain00 posted:

The speculation over there is that the DLC will add weather/seasons.